Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Ungratek posted:

Bias mostly, but I think he fits in a Super Team better because of his speed and passing

Yeah he's certainly better in a lot of areas. He has a lot of physical gifts the other two don't have. I also think people sometimes get hung up on what players can't do instead of what they do superlatively well and its a drat shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If the Warriors somehow sweep the Cavs I might literally quit basketball. gently caress the smug-rear end Warriors coasting through beating injured teams. They were getting WRECKED in game 1 until Kawhi went down. GAAAAAAHHHHH.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

SamuraiFoochs posted:

If the Warriors somehow sweep the Cavs I might literally quit basketball. gently caress the smug-rear end Warriors coasting through beating injured teams. They were getting WRECKED in game 1 until Kawhi went down. GAAAAAAHHHHH.

Ya they should have lost the series out of shame for being such a dirty 'shook' team of scrublord techbros

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

SamuraiFoochs posted:

lol at u

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
a juicero does make a good glass of juice

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

mormonpartyboat posted:

get out

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Can you get Knightman a juicer attachment

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010
I would definitely rather have Wall starting on a hypothetical Eastern Conference super team. Can you imagine a defensive lineup with Wall, Butler, PG, and Antetokounmpo in it? Gives me shivers. Especially as a team formulated specifically to beat the Cavs. Someone always playing Lebron 1 v 1 and everyone else ruining the passing lanes, 2013 Miami Heat style.

IT and Lowry are both the exact model of scoring PG that Lebron teams have habitually devoured in his tenure as Eastern Conference dad dicker. Lowry especially may as well just go fishing at the end of the regular season every year.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ammanas posted:

Ya they should have lost the series out of shame for being such a dirty 'shook' team of scrublord techbros

Didn't say that or even mean to suggest it, but if you seriously think it wouldn't have been a waaaay different series with Kawhi then I don't know what to tell you.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkXRJY6xfLk

Kanter explaining what happened at the airport with his passport.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
Is Kerr definitely out for the finals?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

WhyteRyce posted:

He's fine as a secondary option but people thought when the Spurs locked him up it was a sure bridge to another dynasty. Instead you've got James Harden Killer Manu and Pau another year older and you were giving David Lee a good chunk of playoff minutes. Kwahi is a great centerpiece but that team has a bunch of questions around it and Aldridge is one of them. He's got a funky by modern standards game that hasn't grown a ton and good defensive teams can gameplan around.

They won 67 games and then a legend retired, they added 7 new guys and won 61 games.

If the Warriors don't land Durant the Spurs look like they've got a legitimate shot at getting a title. I'm pretty down on Aldridge right now but he's been what he needed to be but seems to have fallen off a cliff. I'm hoping Duncan can talk him into that career revival weight loss that Duncan had.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Icy Penguigo posted:

I would definitely rather have Wall starting on a hypothetical Eastern Conference super team. Can you imagine a defensive lineup with Wall, Butler, PG, and Antetokounmpo in it? Gives me shivers. Especially as a team formulated specifically to beat the Cavs. Someone always playing Lebron 1 v 1 and everyone else ruining the passing lanes, 2013 Miami Heat style.

IT and Lowry are both the exact model of scoring PG that Lebron teams have habitually devoured in his tenure as Eastern Conference dad dicker. Lowry especially may as well just go fishing at the end of the regular season every year.

Can't have both Wall and Butler.

Spacing issues. I'll accept Wall over Butler, and put another wing, if you want to put him on the team. but Wall Butler, Giannis perimeter while all great players would have zero spacing.

On a team with Butler, Middleton, George and like Embid or Lopez You could put George on Lebron, and Butler on Kyrie, and let Shump or JR try and beat you against IT.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dexo posted:

IT, Butler, Middleton, George, and Healthy Embid(Or Brook Lopez)

LBJ will karate chop Embiid's leg.

Cool Buff Man posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about. I love you Zogo. Hahaha

"[Great player] was allowed to be great because of [trash man player]" is a myth.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Do you think Kyle Lowry Paul George Jimmy Butler Giannis and Whiteside with a bench of John Wall, Bradley Beal, Jae Crowder, Khris Middleton, Marcus Morris,, Joel Embiid, and Myles Turner could beat the cavs

They'll win more regular-season games but once the playoffs start LBJ can play the whole game. A lot of those guys are young too with barely any experience. Cavaliers won't sweep them with 40+ point wins though.

PG is overrated. Kyle Lowry is too short. Some of those guys will get injured. LBJ doesn't get injured. Now if all those guys played together for a few years and LBJ got older it'd look better.

DeimosRising posted:

Lol no. First off it would be Lowry/Butler/George/Giannis/Embiid, second off the bench of Thomas/Wall/Derozen/Millsap/Whiteside is an all time great Scrub Clearing Squad

Embiid would last ~5-10 minutes in a real playoff game before injury. LBJ will initiate Terminator-Frankenstein mode when needed and overpower all those guys. The Cavaliers have concealed their power and coasted so much and despite that some of those guys still weren't able to lead their team to the playoffs in the embarrassingly weak eastern conference.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 23, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Zogo posted:

"[Great player] was allowed to be great because of [trash man player]" is a myth.

I'm the IT apologist here but even I don't think he'd be able to play as much as he does without someone covering for him on defense. What's hard to understand about that? He was a 6th man for most of his career for just that reason.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Pete D'Alessandro was right

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Cool Buff Man posted:

I'm the IT apologist here but even I don't think he'd be able to play as much as he does without someone covering for him on defense. What's hard to understand about that? He was a 6th man for most of his career for just that reason.

It's not hard to understand that he's a bad D player but his offense easily makes up for it. Nash won two MVPs with comparable D numbers and worse overall numbers than IT (Ray Allen had some D seasons as bad as IT as well). I don't remember anyone saying that Nash/Allen shouldn't be on the court.

He's at the top of the totem pole in BOS. If they didn't have him they'd be substantially worse off. In other words, finding someone else to cover for him on D would be a lot easier than finding someone who could replicate his offense.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Zogo posted:

It's not hard to understand that he's a bad D player but his offense easily makes up for it. Nash won two MVPs with comparable D numbers and worse overall numbers than IT (Ray Allen had some D seasons as bad as IT as well). I don't remember anyone saying that Nash/Allen shouldn't be on the court.

He's at the top of the totem pole in BOS. If they didn't have him they'd be substantially worse off. In other words, finding someone else to cover for him on D would be a lot easier than finding someone who could replicate his offense.

That's exactly what I've been saying in all of my other posts so I don't know what you're trying to prove here. Move on to something else.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ammanas posted:

Wall is a complete pg, a strong offensive player and a downright excellent defender

I'd definitely take Wall over Lowry

Such a great defender he held Isaiah Thomas to 27.4 points on .603TS, bravely limiting him to only one 50 point game, until they started trying to keep him on Bradley cause he was getting ruined and Bradley proceeded to score 25+ on him three games in a row

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Zogo posted:

LBJ will karate chop Embiid's leg.

They'll win more regular-season games but once the playoffs start LBJ can play the whole game. A lot of those guys are young too with barely any experience. Cavaliers won't sweep them with 40+ point wins though.

PG is overrated. Kyle Lowry is too short. Some of those guys will get injured. LBJ doesn't get injured. Now if all those guys played together for a few years and LBJ got older it'd look better.

Embiid would last ~5-10 minutes in a real playoff game before injury. LBJ will initiate Terminator-Frankenstein mode when needed and overpower all those guys. The Cavaliers have concealed their power and coasted so much and despite that some of those guys still weren't able to lead their team to the playoffs in the embarrassingly weak eastern conference.

I know you're playing around but when you have the best guy on the court and none of the next 5, the result is the 2005 finals or the OKC-Houston series this year or at best the. 2015 finals

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Bashez posted:

They won 67 games and then a legend retired, they added 7 new guys and won 61 games.

If the Warriors don't land Durant the Spurs look like they've got a legitimate shot at getting a title. I'm pretty down on Aldridge right now but he's been what he needed to be but seems to have fallen off a cliff. I'm hoping Duncan can talk him into that career revival weight loss that Duncan had.

I'm really curious to see where Aldridge goes from here. I just can't believe that he's completely lost it. But if THIS is him now, and his automatic jumper is really gone, man, that would be a shame.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

mormonpartyboat posted:

I make a mean glass of warm lemonade. Only $10!!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jack's Flow posted:

I'm really curious to see where Aldridge goes from here. I just can't believe that he's completely lost it. But if THIS is him now, and his automatic jumper is really gone, man, that would be a shame.

He's being double teamed by the best defensive squad in the league .....

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

euphronius posted:

That is why I do not think he's completely busted. He should be able to bounce back next year. He'll need his jumper though.

https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/866118080476446721

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

rjmccall posted:

I won't lie and say I'd rather have played against a healthy Kawhi, but yeah, I think we still would've won, and it's a huge shame we didn't get a chance to prove it.

What was it about being down 20+ after two quarters and getting visibly destroyed on both sides of the floor by Kawhi that made you watch those quarters and think "The Warriors are the better team here"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

euphronius posted:

But he wasn't always double teamed and that's kind of the issue. When he was posting and backing down a defender he wouldn't really bend the defense. That formerly automatic mid-range jumper wasn't falling and not causing hard closeouts that open up a lane.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
It's not like Pop is drawing up plays that call for a postup starting 11 feet from the basket, or long-2s being shot. Your offense goes through motions to try and find good shots, and you typically check down to lower-value things like post-ups and pick-and-pop 2s because the other stuff wasn't there. Of course losing a guy like Kawhi is going to make the offense slog, and LMA was the guy who was going to pick up the slack.

He didn't play well, but his role isn't really supposed to be the focal point of the offense. LMA was really important to this team the last 2 years, and if he got hurt instead Kawhi would be boxed in a lot more and his offense would drop off. I feel like this happens every year and people are shocked that a guy suddenly thrust into the lead scoring role suddenly wasn't as efficient.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

EvanTH posted:

What was it about being down 20+ after two quarters and getting visibly destroyed on both sides of the floor by Kawhi that made you watch those quarters and think "The Warriors are the better team here"

I think the Warriors would still have won the series, but it would have actually been probably a full 6 or 7 game series if Kawhi had played.

WhyteRyce posted:

But he wasn't always double teamed and that's kind of the issue. When he was posting and backing down a defender he wouldn't really bend the defense. That formerly automatic mid-range jumper wasn't falling and not causing hard closeouts that open up a lane.

Aldridge was underwhelming the entire playoffs. He had 2 really good games against Houston and he was solid in game 1 of the Warriors series but he was either just sort of there or putting up really average or below average numbers in the rest of the games, and his whole game really felt off watching him. At no point in the playoffs did I feel like I was watching a max-money superstar dominate an opponent for his team, he was more like just there and occasionally doing stuff.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think you just need to readjust your expectation on what a max money fa means. Honestly.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

euphronius posted:

I think you just need to readjust your expectation on what a max money fa means. Honestly.

That's probably what LaMarcus would tell his management as well.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think the spurs know that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Libertine posted:

At no point in the playoffs did I feel like I was watching a max-money superstar dominate an opponent for his team, he was more like just there and occasionally doing stuff.

Well that's good, because the 20 million LMA makes next year is about 60% of a max contract. Guys coming off rookie deals next year will be making 25 million.

Edit: It's fair to say LaMarcus Aldridge is probably making Otto Porter money right now.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

It's not like Pop is drawing up plays that call for a postup starting 11 feet from the basket, or long-2s being shot.

But you just described a strong component of Aldridge's game. I never said that Aldridge is done, just that he's not the player people thought he'd be and that unless he expands from the type of game he's always had, he doesn't have the ability to answer some of the questions the Spurs have.

This article I came across kind of summarizes the issues I've seen with Aldridge this year
https://www.fanragsports.com/nba/spurs/lamarcus-aldridge-facing-crossroads-nba-career/

quote:

Between the regular season and postseason, Aldridge’s post-ups have yielded a combined 0.87 points per possession, which is downright bad for even a half-court offensive option. This represents more than one-third of his offensive possessions too.

quote:

Again, the numbers on this play type for Aldridge are not good. He has shot 42.6 percent on catch-and-shoot 2-point jumpers in the regular season and playoffs, which is approximately 0.85 points per possession. Even on wide-open 2-pointers from more than 10 feet from the basket, he has shot a combined 42.1 percent in the regular season and postseason.

Lockback posted:

Well that's good, because the 20 million LMA makes next year is about 60% of a max contract. Guys coming off rookie deals next year will be making 25 million.

Edit: It's fair to say LaMarcus Aldridge is probably making Otto Porter money right now.

Dude, what is this revisionist stuff going on here. The cap was a lot lower when he was signed, why are we retroactively reevaluating what the Spurs thought of him when they offered him that deal? "It's a lot of money now but we know the cap will jump to insane levels where a in the future not efficient jump shooty PF is now a bargain". Right now the contract is a good deal but right now isn't when he signed the deal and his production right now isn't what the Spurs were seeing when he signed it.

euphronius posted:

I think the spurs know that.

Pop said he postponed retirement a bit because he made a commitment to Alridge when they recruited him. I don't think he would have done that to a guy who he just hoped would show up, hit some jumpers, and try not to get hurt.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

weird that they canceled the last game of the wcf

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Dude, what is this revisionist stuff going on here. The cap was a lot lower when he was signed, why are we retroactively reevaluating what the Spurs thought of him when they offered him that deal? "It's a lot of money now but we know the cap will jump to insane levels where a in the future not efficient jump shooty PF is now a bargain". Right now the contract is a good deal but right now isn't when he signed the deal and his production right now isn't what the Spurs were seeing when he signed it.

Pop said he postponed retirement a bit because he made a commitment to Alridge when they recruited him. I don't think he would have done that to a guy who he just hoped would show up, hit some jumpers, and try not to get hurt.

Why does it matter what the intent was when they signed him? The question is "Is Aldridge's contract an albatross or not", it doesn't matter if the amount was a max or not. It's just a bit over half of a max contract so that's how you measure it.

Also, the first year of that contract, LMA put up max-player numbers for sure.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

can you two edit in some :thunk:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What the gently caress
https://streamable.com/lsosq

Kobe trying to become the next Walt Disney

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 23, 2017

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

zoux posted:

What the gently caress

steph starts his rap career

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

zoux posted:

What the gently caress

lol Kobe stays making GBS threads on the Spurs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Part of the lma deal was tho that the spurs knew that cap was exploding after they signed him .

• Locked thread