Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

- Steve Jobs, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Steve jobs didn't let his kids use smart devices tho 🤔🤔

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Any reason I should not buy this? https://www.amazon.com/Cable-ZTeano...rds=10ft+iphone

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

They don't seem to have MFI certification and instead claim "compatibility" using a logo that's supposed to look like the MFI badge. Sorta dodgy.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
My opinion is that if you want a:
non-MFi cord - you should buy a whole bunch of yumcha white plastic cable for US$1 and throw them out as they go bad
cheap cord - you should buy an Amazon Basics
fancy cord - you should buy an Anker PowerLine+, especially if you want longer than usual (2-3m)

Edit: just saw that the linked product was indeed a 3m cord. Well, the Anker is more than 3x as expensive, but it is MFi and you know it will actually charge at full speed.

Edit2: they also seem to have a new product, PowerLine II "Dura" which is ugly black plastic but cheaper and more durable (according to them)

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 23, 2017

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Always buy Ankers. They're on sale every other week at least.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

it's in the thread title for crying out loud!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone here use a Bluetooth adapter for their Audi Music Interface (AMI) car? Amazon has a few options, all of which have a non-negligible percentage of bad reviews.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I got these which look similar and are priced similarly. They work well for charging, which is all I tried.

If you just want a cheap cable you can throw in all your bags, I don't see anything wrong with buying simple uncertified cables. Just don't buy cheap uncertified charger bricks, I use Anker's.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Where is Anker's CS based, out of curiosity? I dealt with them this week, and while pleasant the responses were a mix of 'odd' and obvious cut and pastes. I was just fishing to get a replacement cable for one that had died, and in the end I should be getting Amazon credit it seems but who knows.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Anker is based in Shenzhen, so I wouldn't be shocked if their CS is there, too. My one experience with them was quick and pleasant. A port on a USB charging thing died and they just sent me a new one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If for some reason you feel the need to compare brands, the ZeroLemon label is decent too.

Are a few bucks cheaper than anker.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
anker and monoprice are the only cheap brands I trust.

monoprice does have weirdly large plastic connectors on some of their cables though (e.g. micro usb)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I bought an Anker keyboard case for my iPad Air 2 and it was legit the best quality to price product I've ever bought. Think it worked out at less than €40 and build quality is fantastic.
Their cables last forever.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

OTOH I've had bad luck with Monoprice lately. A Lightning cable I got from them died in a few months, and the TV antenna I got from them was absolute shite, I got 3x the channels with an antenna just 2x the price. Also Monoprice shipping is stupid if you're not in the US. Just based on my personal experience I wouldn't order another Monoprice product even though I used to order exclusively from them for cables and such.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So I get a bunch of calls from local numbers that are legit (no spammers/scammers) friends looking for the previous owner of the line. A good percentage of these are Facetime audio or video calls. The concerning thing is: even though the phone number is binded to my iCloud account, sometimes I'll get a message on my phone saying "Answered on other device". The only other device I have my iCloud registered to is my laptop, which I know is sitting on my couch at home with nobody near it. So, is the number attached to multiple accounts somehow? Is there anything I can do to check/sort this out?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

So I get a bunch of calls from local numbers that are legit (no spammers/scammers) friends looking for the previous owner of the line. A good percentage of these are Facetime audio or video calls. The concerning thing is: even though the phone number is binded to my iCloud account, sometimes I'll get a message on my phone saying "Answered on other device". The only other device I have my iCloud registered to is my laptop, which I know is sitting on my couch at home with nobody near it. So, is the number attached to multiple accounts somehow? Is there anything I can do to check/sort this out?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6227428?tstart=0

(Check Facetime settings to see what it says for 'You can be reached by Facetime at...')

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Pivo posted:

OTOH I've had bad luck with Monoprice lately. A Lightning cable I got from them died in a few months, and the TV antenna I got from them was absolute shite, I got 3x the channels with an antenna just 2x the price. Also Monoprice shipping is stupid if you're not in the US. Just based on my personal experience I wouldn't order another Monoprice product even though I used to order exclusively from them for cables and such.

Monoprice shipping is annoying in general. I wish it were cheaper or free and they baked it into the price of their products. I will routinely go with more expensive Amazon instead of Monoprice just because of the ease of their shipping process and I know I'm not the only one.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pivo posted:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6227428?tstart=0

(Check Facetime settings to see what it says for 'You can be reached by Facetime at...')

Yeah I looked at that setting before to see if there was anything odd, but nope. My cell number and 2 email addresses that are both mine. It's like my cell number is still somehow listed on his device in this screen.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

~Coxy posted:

My opinion is that if you want a:
non-MFi cord - you should buy a whole bunch of yumcha white plastic cable for US$1 and throw them out as they go bad
cheap cord - you should buy an Amazon Basics
fancy cord - you should buy an Anker PowerLine+, especially if you want longer than usual (2-3m)

Edit: just saw that the linked product was indeed a 3m cord. Well, the Anker is more than 3x as expensive, but it is MFi and you know it will actually charge at full speed.

Edit2: they also seem to have a new product, PowerLine II "Dura" which is ugly black plastic but cheaper and more durable (according to them)

don't buy a non-mfi cord for $1 when you can get one that is mfi certified for $2 again:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dynex-apple-mfi-certified-3-lightning-to-usb-charge-and-sync-cable-gray/4290013.p?skuId=4290013

For 10', go with monoprice. They're mfi certified and good quality - my blue version of this has been going strong for a long time now.

Pivo posted:

Generally speaking, don't buy non-cables from monoprice. The cables that they sell have a fantastic warranty so you should be able to get a free replacement for that lightning cable that died.

astral fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 23, 2017

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I looked at that setting before to see if there was anything odd, but nope. My cell number and 2 email addresses that are both mine. It's like my cell number is still somehow listed on his device in this screen.

It's possible that whoever is calling the previous owner has his old number plus his email or new number in the contact. So your device plus the previous owner's device are both ringing when they try to facetime him.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Anyone have tips on how to go about unlocking a virgin mobile iphone SE?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh yeah I bought like 10 of them last time they were $2. They are pretty decent cables for $2.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TVs Ian posted:

It's possible that whoever is calling the previous owner has his old number plus his email or new number in the contact. So your device plus the previous owner's device are both ringing when they try to facetime him.

Ah interesting, that could very well be it. I should iMessage one of them and ask them if that's the case, but it'll probably just confuse them as they'll think I'm their friend. I've just turned off Facetime for now, I barely use it anyway.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

astral posted:

don't buy a non-mfi cord for $1 when you can get one that is mfi certified for $2 again:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dynex-apple-mfi-certified-3-lightning-to-usb-charge-and-sync-cable-gray/4290013.p?skuId=4290013

For 10', go with monoprice. They're mfi certified and good quality - my blue version of this has been going strong for a long time now.

Generally speaking, don't buy non-cables from monoprice. The cables that they sell have a fantastic warranty so you should be able to get a free replacement for that lightning cable that died.

Great advice.

Only thing I'd like to note, there are things that are worth purchasing from Monoprice that aren't cables, but it's not like they directly manufacture their products, so the quality of any single product is not indicative of the quality of the product line. Their sit-stand table legs seem to be good, from the two that I've seen for example, but that's starting to stretch beyond the scope of the thread.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Is there a third party keyboard that mimics the android behavior of being able to hold down a QWERTY row key to quickly type a number without having to switch the mode of the whole keyboard? I'm wondering if there's some patent BS that keeps it android-only.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Do the non-MFI cords still charge? I know syncing is out of the question, but who syncs anymore.

I just buy Amazon cables now, but back in the dark ages when neither Monoprice or Amazon sold Lightning cables I'd have a weird selection of MFI and non-MFI that did different things on different phones when plugged into difference sources. Like a non-certified cable that wouldn't work plugged into a wall wart would work when plugged into a Mac USB. It was the oddest thing and something I still hate Apple for putting it's users through.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Non-MFI cables charge right until they stop working with a software update.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
One thing I've never quite been able to work out: Is Siri actually able to improve its recognition by using it a lot? I've tried using Siri on and off for a few years and it just hates my accent - usually takes at least three tries to set a reminder, at which stage I could've typed it out twice over.

If I just spent an entire day making reminders, deleting them, making new ones etc until it knows my voice, would that work?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Don't think so. Siri is embarrassingly stupid compared to Google Now but I understand why it's bad.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah I figured just switch back to the stock one, seems nothing else is worthwhile ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Apple have (maybe deliberately) made it impossible to fully and competently replace their keyboard.

I'd love to use a keyboard that exactly matches the stock android keyboard (including swiping), but the APIs are still broken.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Question Mark Mound posted:

One thing I've never quite been able to work out: Is Siri actually able to improve its recognition by using it a lot? I've tried using Siri on and off for a few years and it just hates my accent - usually takes at least three tries to set a reminder, at which stage I could've typed it out twice over.

If I just spent an entire day making reminders, deleting them, making new ones etc until it knows my voice, would that work?

Have you gone to the Siri settings and tried setting the Language to something close to your (I'm guessing) regional dialect? There a bunch of English sub-settings like "English (India)" and so on which I assume is to compensate for people not speaking perfect LA Newscaster English.

Hopefully it helps because a fully functioning Siri is a delight.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CaptainCrunch posted:

Are you from the future

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

CaptainCrunch posted:

Have you gone to the Siri settings and tried setting the Language to something close to your (I'm guessing) regional dialect? There a bunch of English sub-settings like "English (India)" and so on which I assume is to compensate for people not speaking perfect LA Newscaster English.

I thought that only changed the accent that Siri spoke in. I changed it to English (Ireland) and it has a really bad Irish accent and just sounds awful.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I thought that only changed the accent that Siri spoke in. I changed it to English (Ireland) and it has a really bad Irish accent and just sounds awful.

My GF has the Siri Irish accent on her phone and Mac and it's so bad.

Maire :argh:

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

No. It also supports people's accents.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Uhhhh I'm not sure I want to put up with the Irish Siri accent (closest thing to Northern Ireland I guess) just to have it understand me!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uhhhh I'm not sure I want to put up with the Irish Siri accent (closest thing to Northern Ireland I guess) just to have it understand me!
As they are trying to say, you can set YOUR accent and SIRI's accent separately.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I think the only things I've ever used Siri for are:

Wake me up at 6am.
Add milk to my grocery list.
Take me home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Endless Mike posted:

As they are trying to say, you can set YOUR accent and SIRI's accent separately.

Yeah those are different settings for a reason

Also give Siri a night or so to download a new voice pack when you change languages. The initial one is definitely bad.

Edit: oh wait, maybe it's not an option for every language. For US English I only get a choice of Australian, British, or US Siri voices. Maybe Ireland doesn't get to pick. In that case hang on, maybe it'll get better after a download?

MrBond fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 26, 2017