Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slev
Apr 6, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

I enjoy playing out the story and exploring the world but what do you mean by the 'real' game? End-level content?

Making your character as pretty as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

I asked because I've been having the urge to play an MMO and I saw that this game has the Bard job. It's either this or rolling a Warlock in WoW (which I haven't played in like 10 years). I would like something that doesn't demand too much from your life and still have reasonable fun with...

ffxiv describes your last sentence and bard describes it doubly so(for now, it might end up a lot more complicated with stormblood)

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

I enjoy playing out the story and exploring the world but what do you mean by the 'real' game? End-level content?

most of the game's content takes place at max level, yeah. if you enjoy story, though, you're going to probably going to enjoy stormblood more than you'd like legion. ffxiv's story is leaps and bounds better than wow's, it's just the actual leveling process isn't very quick.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
also, if you want a laugh, read the sky is falling OF pvp subforum posts. it's great.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i enjoy ffxiv a lot more than wow but leveling in ffxiv is not a fast process at all, and even if you boost to 60/boost to the end of HW you're still looking at a while before you're going to hit 70 in stormblood and get to the 'real' game.

The "real" (:rolleyes:) game won't be starting for 2 or 4 weeks til after launch so it's not that big a deal.

The real endgame is crafting and that starts immediately tho

Are there any actually decent news sites and communities for this game? Something like MMO champ and elitist jerks. Reddit and the official forums are both exactly as worthless as you would expect them to be. Kinda tired of getting most of my news from twitter.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

mistaya posted:

I am pretty thrilled about a lot of this, mainly the death of Cleric Stance but also the addition of readability UI elements because I love my AST but I would love it even better with UI elements for cards instead of watching the tiny buff bar. I'm not really sure how the DRK blood gauge thing works though, are they changing anything about the current system or is the EDGY BLOOD SWORD UI just clarity stuff?

I can't decide what DPS to level first. By which I mean after DRK and AST. Oh god.

They mentioned that the blood gauge only appears when you get an ability called 'black blood', and DRK definitely doesn't have anything akin to resource spending besides MP.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Well looks like I am being hoisted by my own petard in regards to the server move. Despite the fact the server was moved into my own state, not only do I randomly get 50% packet loss, but this tracert is very interesting.

Thanks comcast! I thought it was weird that my connection was heading south to fresno then further south to LA, but then seeing the sudden 30ms jump made me look up the IP address and loving, Englewood, CO? Seriously?!

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Leal posted:

Thanks comcast! I thought it was weird that my connection was heading south to fresno then further south to LA, but then seeing the sudden 30ms jump made me look up the IP address and loving, Englewood, CO? Seriously?!

Never trust GeoIP data, it's often hilariously wrong. That Englewood CO address is probably the head office of who ever owns that IP block, rather than the actual router location.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I'm not so pleased with the Cleric Stance changes, either. I can get that they wanted to do some QoL changes, but it's a straight up damage nerf as it currently reads, isn't it? Cleric Stance as it is is 10% damage buff at all times it's active. Cleric Stance in 4.0 is a 5% damage buff for 15 seconds every 90 seconds. I think they said the numbers aren't set in stone, so all I'm hoping is that when everything's said and done, a Stone 3 in Cleric now is going to do the same damage as a Stone 3 without Cleric in 4.0. I think the ability itself is going to need some love, too.

I would have liked to see more on the WHM abilities too, though. Frankly, after playing AST since 3.4, I think it'll be hard to go back to WHM unless their new gimmick gives me something interesting to play with.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Brother Entropy posted:

ffxiv describes your last sentence and bard describes it doubly so(for now, it might end up a lot more complicated with stormblood)

Yay!!

I'll be back in this thread soon!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ruta posted:

I'm not so pleased with the Cleric Stance changes, either. I can get that they wanted to do some QoL changes, but it's a straight up damage nerf as it currently reads, isn't it? Cleric Stance as it is is 10% damage buff at all times it's active. Cleric Stance in 4.0 is a 5% damage buff for 15 seconds every 90 seconds. I think they said the numbers aren't set in stone, so all I'm hoping is that when everything's said and done, a Stone 3 in Cleric now is going to do the same damage as a Stone 3 without Cleric in 4.0. I think the ability itself is going to need some love, too.

Healer DPS spells will natively run off Mind now, but we won't really know how it pans out for a while.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

ruta posted:

It's not quite a nerf, since it's packaged with the whole 'Damage spells now scale with MND' thing which is a huge damage boost and QoL change in itself. Cleric's always been a particularly sticky stance and now it's just a bonus.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I mean, as it stands, when you have Cleric on, you are getting spells scaling with your mind stat, plus 10%. So no, unless they bake in 10% more damage to our spells as well, it's not the same. And 5% for 15 seconds on a 90 second cooldown is a pretty lacklustre cooldown.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

EponymousMrYar posted:

Cleric's always been a particularly sticky stance

Press button remove stance

:colbert:

I'll wait until I've played the class at 70 to actually complain.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm mostly over the Cleric Stance change but holy moly the listed 5% is so little. I can't imagine a worse-feeling button to press. I sincerely hope it's a placeholder number. I mean, it has to be right?

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Man I don't even care if it's a dps nerf under ideal conditions or whatever, nixing cleric stance is a big enough QoL improvement that I'll eat the damage loss if it means I can throw some malefics around without worrying about some fool dying in the 5 seconds I can't shut it off.

Obviously if you know all the fights like the back of your hand then you have no timing issues whatsoever but I'm an idiot and gently caress up constantly so anything that helps me play better is aces with me.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Press button remove stance

:colbert:

I'll wait until I've played the class at 70 to actually complain.

I do that and I heal and I see it's on and I press the button again and it stays on and then I press the button while staring at it and then it goes away.

True story.

ruta posted:

I mean, as it stands, when you have Cleric on, you are getting spells scaling with your mind stat, plus 10%. So no, unless they bake in 10% more damage to our spells as well, it's not the same. And 5% for 15 seconds on a 90 second cooldown is a pretty lacklustre cooldown.

Again, it can't really be quantified at the moment how much the scaling part of Cleric Stance being on 100% of the time without the healing malus will play out. Even SCH's sometimes have to dip out of Cleric's in order to heal, come SB they'll be able to weave effortlessly.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Schneider Heim posted:

If you enjoy the story and exploring the world then you'll love the leveling journey.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
also, for anyone who cares about pvp - potency seems to be very different in pvp, and abilities have much greater potency. hopefully this decreases pvp ttk, but it's currently kind of insane and it's nearly impossible to burst someone through even light healing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ruta posted:

Considering we know they are adjusting potency and other things it's a bit early to assume that the end result is just -10% damage.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Countblanc posted:

I'm mostly over the Cleric Stance change but holy moly the listed 5% is so little. I can't imagine a worse-feeling button to press. I sincerely hope it's a placeholder number. I mean, it has to be right?

15% really would be nicer looking, especialy when it's only up for 15 seconds every 90. That said, remember that SE doesn't think about healer DPS at all when they design encounters, so they probably feel like they've already done enough with the perma-cleric damage changes. I get the feeling they don't want to turn you into a green-icon DPS.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Presumably part of changing healer damage to scale off Mind will be adjusting the scaling in general so they don't need the 10% from cleric stance, or at least some portion of it. They aren't that dumb.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rainuwastaken posted:

15% really would be nicer looking, especialy when it's only up for 15 seconds every 90. That said, remember that SE doesn't think about healer DPS at all when they design encounters, so they probably feel like they've already done enough with the perma-cleric damage changes. I get the feeling they don't want to turn you into a green-icon DPS.

I think that's a totally fair stance to take, even if it's the less enjoyable one for me personally, but I feel the ability should be completely abolished in that case rather than a 5% dps increase for 15 seconds. Maybe testing showed that it was enough of a boon to help in Savage and anything greater started making encounters too easy to cheese, I dunno. They could get a cooler 10th Cross Class than the currently suggested Cleric Stance is all.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Asimo posted:

They aren't that dumb.

Saving this for later.

hobbesmaster posted:

If they want to nerf healer DPS this is the time to do it.

This sounds like what they are doing. Healers that understand how to play around a 3 second cooldown can contribute a ton of DPS. I feel like they want to widen the DPS gap even more.

Hommando fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 23, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Asimo posted:

Presumably part of changing healer damage to scale off Mind will be adjusting the scaling in general so they don't need the 10% from cleric stance, or at least some portion of it. They aren't that dumb.

If they want to nerf healer DPS this is the time to do it.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
there's a good chance they're trying to squish tank and healer dps. as a warrior main this would be saddening, but i'll manage and i think it's probably better for the game health/encounter design if the non-dps roles did less damage.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

honestly losing stance dancing is kind of a bummer to me because the 'better not gently caress up' factor of cleric stance meant i felt good at a video game when i did good at the video game

buuuut a bunch of other jobs i like are getting cool things so it's not like i'm gonna stop playing or anything

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

As long as it doesn't make solo content like levelling up a pain in the arse, the Cleric Stance thing is good, even if it's an overall nerf to healer DPS.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

honestly losing stance dancing is kind of a bummer to me because the 'better not gently caress up' factor of cleric stance meant i felt good at a video game when i did good at the video game

There's no doubt that stance dancing properly felt really rewarding, but I'm not sure it's worth the colossal downsides if you gently caress it up. I can't think of any other skill in the game that, when misused, can go anywhere near as disastrously.

I hate to use the "but muh CASUALS" argument, but I will gladly trade away some complexity in the healers if it means I don't have to deal with John Q. Pubbie trying to keep me alive with his 400-point Physicks, completely clueless of what stance he's in. Plus who knows, maybe it'll free SE up to design some fights where healers have to do more than summon their fairy.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Brother Entropy posted:

buuuut a bunch of other jobs i like are getting cool things so it's not like i'm gonna stop playing or anything

I feel the same with Gauss Barrel, even though it's incredibly irrational that I should have feelings of superiority over the "casuls".

I dunno, mostly though I am happy for the Bards, because <insert rant about how WM is bolted-on and GB is not here> and kumquats.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rainuwastaken posted:

There's no doubt that stance dancing properly felt really rewarding, but I'm not sure it's worth the colossal downsides if you gently caress it up. I can't think of any other skill in the game that, when misused, can go anywhere near as disastrously.

I hate to use the "but muh CASUALS" argument, but I will gladly trade away some complexity in the healers if it means I don't have to deal with John Q. Pubbie trying to keep me alive with his 400-point Physicks, completely clueless of what stance he's in. Plus who knows, maybe it'll free SE up to design some fights where healers have to do more than summon their fairy.

Don't be ridiculous.

You have to also cast protect and hit rouse occasionally.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

I'd just like to say this avatar/words combo made me laugh way harder than I should've.

Anyway, my opinion: I'm mega-sad that Berserk's buff is apparently nerfed from 50% to 30%, but I suppose that's the price we pay for being able to mash the Fell Cleave button. I was also mad about tank damage being reverted back to solely using STR at first, but in retrospect it's probably because of the new Tenacity (TEN?) stat also adding more damage in addition to CRIT and DET - there probably won't be any major difference when it's applied.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 23, 2017

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Did they say its solely strength? I can't believe they would so quickly revert the vit=damage thing, but then again bow mages...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's not like you're losing any sort of interesting gameplay when cut you CS as a stance. It was always a jerry-rigged solution towards making it so you can actually hurt things and basically revolved around pushing it once to hurt things and once to heal things.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Sounds like stats are now more role than job specific. While it makes it easier to balance between jobs via gained gear, I'm not looking towards job exclusive accessories. Unless they also change how gear works and makes it so all melee dps use one sort of accessory and the ranged another etc. Technically this already exists (e.g. SAM, DRG and MNK share Slaying acc) but Ninja is the odd one out using ranged DPS accessories while being melee.

Anyway each role having their own "optimal dps" sounds like a good idea but I wonder how it retrofits into old gear. While STR starts contributing more to tank dps, then does that mean Proto Ultima accessories of Fending become subpar overnight?

Kobata
Oct 11, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

Did they say its solely strength? I can't believe they would so quickly revert the vit=damage thing, but then again bow mages...

Yoshida said something along the lines of 'returning/reverting to STR'

The translator was more vague, but she didn't really seem to have any real summary of the changes to consult (other than a list of translated names of things), so I'd consider it more likely than not they're dropping VIT's contribution entirely again.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I hope it will make "honest" healers feel more inclined to add some DPS spells to the fight because there's no longer any danger or risk in doing so. It also makes it a lot easier to weave gcd-heals, like tossing a regen in between stones to take care of light damage while continuing to DPS.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

mistaya posted:

I hope it will make "honest" healers feel more inclined to add some DPS spells to the fight because there's no longer any danger or risk in doing so.

it won't

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

mistaya posted:

I hope it will make "honest" healers feel more inclined to add some DPS spells to the fight because there's no longer any danger or risk in doing so. It also makes it a lot easier to weave gcd-heals, like tossing a regen in between stones to take care of light damage while continuing to DPS.

If they were bad enough to not understand the stance dance then these changes won't help them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The new Cleric Stance will be tank's DPS stances, where you swap Vit for Strength and instantly explode if you forget to swap out during the tankbuster.

• Locked thread