Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Blackheart's is okay but gently caress Garden of Terror forever.

Also Braxis is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

At least braxis is quick unlike garden.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like Braxis and hate battlefield of eternity. I've played the map probably 15 times and today was the first time I've ever seen our boss go down first. It happened twice in one game! I was ecstatic!

on braxis i just take one side's zerg point, then rotate or stay put with the team so we can hopefully overwhelm the opposition.

Most fun game ive ever had, both teams just kept rotating around counterclockwise for literally 10 mins the first time zerg spawned so we started killing camps while rotating and all our forts got massively damaged before both sides got a zerg wave. They won the zerg, but we just demolished it with tons of waveclear heroes, killing them in the process, and marched right to their core for a win

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Thrall is a good character to start with I reckon. He has a targeted spell, a skillshot root, an attack boost and his trait heals him. You can build around his Q and be useful while you're figuring out when you can and can't go in for melee damage.

There is a new players guide for HOTS on reddit that is pretty good.

In my opinion you are better served playing a lot of different characters initially, not to improve at them but to get an idea of what they will be capable of when you fight them.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Braxis is good, except in those weird QM matchups.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah i like to try heroes who i have been super hosed up by because i see how they hosed me up and it makes me want to experience that same joy of loving someone up in the near future.

I tried anub'arak and had no idea how he worked, i figured he was based around the spike aoe so i put all my traits in it and it sucked. Then later i played a game against an anub who would just not ever go away and it felt like i was stunned 90% of the time. Now he's on my favorites because that's exactly the kind of jerk i wish to be.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 23, 2017

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Jinh posted:

Yeah i like to try heroes who i have been super hosed up by because i see how they hosed me up and it makes me want to experience that same joy of loving someone up in the near future.

I tried anub'arak and had no idea how he worked, i figured he was based around the spike aoe so i put all my traits in it and it sucked. Then later i played a game against an anub who would just not ever go away and it felt like i was stunned 90% of the time. Now he's on my favorites because that's exactly the kind of jerk i wish to be.

You can hit Tab and hit the middle button and see what talents they picked. Or load up the replay and see what they picked so you can try to start figuring out builds you like

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I have won every single game I've played with as D.Va so far, out of eight, and gotten MVP in every single match. Like 90% of the matches I've played with an allied D.Va on my team I've won the match and she's gotten MVP. I genuinely believe she's overpowered.

Apart from her numbers possibly being too high, I am in love with the hero's design. She's basically Varian done right: a pure tank and an assassin rolled into one hero, instead of three lovely half-heroes in one package. I can spec into damage or into disruption based on what my team needs, and each talent choice has a significant impact on how I play and what I need to worry about.

Contra Varian, where Taunt Varian plays pretty much exactly the same no matter what abilities I take (unless it's Warbringer over Shield Wall), Arms Varian plays exactly the same, Fury Varian plays exactly the same.

But D.Va? Every single match I play I go "Yeah I can carry my team if I do this and take these talents". And the specific talents I take have enough of an impact on D.Va's play that every match with her feels different. Dazer Zone feels way different than Nuclear Option, GG WP feels way different than Suppressing Fire or Torpedo Dash.

She is the new high water mark for hero design in HOTS.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Jinh posted:

I think of Anubarak as being like Winston in Overwatch in that they're both tanks with really strong engage/mobility abilities that will get you mulched if you give into the immediate temptation to dive recklessly with them, so the key to learning how to play them well is knowing when not to jump, or in this case burrow.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Keeping people stunned is definitely something I noticed Anub Arak is good at. I went back into quickplay with some people who knew how to use map pings and objective callouts and had surprisingly good time? Won three in a row with two MVPs just by sticking around teammates, locking people down and pooping beetles all over the place. Even got mvp for 17 player kills, which was a pleasant surprise.

As much as I liked beetle healing the talent that gives you a shield for burrowing really helps blunt retaliation when you stun someone out of position. Taking the permanent health leech locust at level 20 helps keep you alive AND acts like a ranged autoattack to finish off runners, who you can chase down with burrow. Of course I say this now and will probably get demolished next game but the wins are nice.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'll be honest, the one thing I don't really get are Anubarak's beetles. They just seem to sorta...be there? If they have a big impact on fights I must just be missing it. I usually go for the shield upon unburrowing talent myself since if he's caught out of position Anub can get crushed pretty hard, especially by strong autoattackers. Is talenting for beetles actually worth it?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kai Tave posted:

I'll be honest, the one thing I don't really get are Anubarak's beetles. They just seem to sorta...be there? If they have a big impact on fights I must just be missing it. I usually go for the shield upon unburrowing talent myself since if he's caught out of position Anub can get crushed pretty hard, especially by strong autoattackers. Is talenting for beetles actually worth it?

As far as I can tell it's not, but they're a handy little addition to lane-pushing even so.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SKULL.GIF posted:

I have won every single game I've played with as D.Va so far, out of eight, and gotten MVP in every single match. Like 90% of the matches I've played with an allied D.Va on my team I've won the match and she's gotten MVP. I genuinely believe she's overpowered.

Apart from her numbers possibly being too high, I am in love with the hero's design. She's basically Varian done right: a pure tank and an assassin rolled into one hero, instead of three lovely half-heroes in one package. I can spec into damage or into disruption based on what my team needs, and each talent choice has a significant impact on how I play and what I need to worry about.

Contra Varian, where Taunt Varian plays pretty much exactly the same no matter what abilities I take (unless it's Warbringer over Shield Wall), Arms Varian plays exactly the same, Fury Varian plays exactly the same.

But D.Va? Every single match I play I go "Yeah I can carry my team if I do this and take these talents". And the specific talents I take have enough of an impact on D.Va's play that every match with her feels different. Dazer Zone feels way different than Nuclear Option, GG WP feels way different than Suppressing Fire or Torpedo Dash.

I think it's just easy to get MVP with D.Va since she can get high contribution % in many categories to the algorithm.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

As far as I can tell it's not, but they're a handy little addition to lane-pushing even so.

they can also occasionally block a skillshot, which can be handy for you and extremely anger inducing for whoever used it

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

exquisite tea posted:

I think it's just easy to get MVP with D.Va since she can get high contribution % in many categories to the algorithm.

plus if you self destruct, doesn't it not count that as exp/a kill?
When she gets nerfed due to making QM not feel fun I'm really curious what they're gonna do. It's the "No, you actually don't get credit for killing me, because my e was up" that's most annoying, but I don't know how you fix it without guaranteeing she's a liability to her team. I don't see her dominating HL or anything, and really the only reason a good D.va is frustrating in QM in the mobility combined with you not being guaranteed to have the CC to ensure she can't self destruct/get healed and extracted.

They'll probably just make all of her numbers poo poo enough that it doesn't matter if you ignore her. Which would be shame.

Oh Snapple! posted:

they can also occasionally block a skillshot, which can be handy for you and extremely anger inducing for whoever used it

skillshot blocking and chasing an enemy to keep them from mounting are their main uses. You pretty much never spec into any talents for your beetles anymore. Though at one time you used to be able to spec heavily into healing Anub with them and it was glorious.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 23, 2017

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I did most of my Nexus Challenge with random folks from the in-game general chat and Johanna was such a fantastic cat herder. I've seen things you people wouldn't believe in those games where the majority of players were below level 60.

Libertine posted:

Yeah it was because they ran into a lot of balance problems when people discovered hilarious builds that took advantage of questionable design decisions on the various types of scaling.

Probably won't ever be an issue in HOTS because of no items.

There never was anything questionable about my AP Sion build, Libertine. That axe-wielding undead warrior was supposed to blow people up with his exploding shield! :colbert:

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Kai Tave posted:

Because they spawn every time you use an ability, you can stagger them and use them to siege towershots, making anub a pseudo siege hero.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Also I'm pretty sure she gets the Murky discount on deaths counting against MVP because I've got it a few times with like 8+ deaths when regular heroes on my team had half that number.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I agree with this. I find her incredibly fun to play and while she's more complex than other heroes due to the two lives mechanic, using your mech as a resource and getting as much mileage out of pilot form as you need feels perfectly intuitive. I wonder if they'll be able to create another single-form or single-life hero which feels as rewarding to play as her.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

D.Va is fun but the only really overpowered thing about her IMHO is that you can do things like wipe an entire zerg wave or take down a boss merc to 50% health with self-destruct. She gets owned by any kind of stun/silence and good players will just sit on their disables for when she charges in.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
The worst thing about D.Va is you have to temporarily leave pilot mode in order to refill your self-destruct meter, but then you can't get back to it until you've used it. I wish there was a way to exit the mech without self-destructing so I could stay in pilot mode and still hold on to the nuke.

e: or just recharge the nuke while in pilot form

Honestly I find her design weird and counterintuitive. I always want to be in pilot mode of course, since you absolutely poo poo damage and have an instant escape anyway with your robot. But then if you use your escape you're trapped inside the lovely robot until you can either get the nuke up or die. Often I don't have time to wait for the nuke so I just play mega aggressive and hope someone kills me so I can get back to killing things. But then sometimes people don't want to kill me since I'm not a threat in robot form anyway. It gets confusing sometimes.

Gustav fucked around with this message at 11:33 on May 23, 2017

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Well in pilot form you can't peel or bodyblock or jump on people with a 40% AoE slow, and those are all useful things to do. When I started playing her I did lean on pilot mode more and I thought Big Shot was the better ult, but after a heap of games I think Bunny Hop is better most of the time. The thing I like most about pilot form is that you can mount.

edit : I try to play D.Va as an enabler (which can feel like a waste of time in QM) but I'm not saying pilot mode has no place. Sometimes making GBS threads out damage is exactly what you want to be doing.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 12:18 on May 23, 2017

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

But that's just it isn't it. If I'm in pilot mode I have access to both modes, I can switch to robot in an instant if required. But once I switch I'm trapped inside the robot until I can blow it up or convince someone to kill me. So pilot mode is just strictly better as the default walking around mode.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Well there's a .75s delay on entering the mech before MEKAfall and that's enough to get you killed every now and then, and as you mentioned before you can't get self-destruct charge in pilot form so along with the increased vulnerability I think that's a pretty well calibrated cost for being outside the mech.

I always want to have a full self-destruct charge ready before a team fight/push/objective and the only way to get it is to spend time in the mech.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I almost never want to be in pilot mode with d.va it is terrible.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Kalko posted:

Well there's a .75s delay on entering the mech before MEKAfall and that's enough to get you killed every now and then, and as you mentioned before you can't get self-destruct charge in pilot form so along with the increased vulnerability I think that's a pretty well calibrated cost for being outside the mech.

I always want to have a full self-destruct charge ready before a team fight/push/objective and the only way to get it is to spend time in the mech.

I agree, you want to start every fight with a nuke since it's basically just a free ult that gets you into pilot mode anyway, but I don't really think forcing you to spend most of the game in the clunky slow-moving low-damage mech just because you're nursing a self-destruct charge is very good design. Feels very backwards to me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

D.Va is designed the way she is because they want you to spend most of your time in the mech. I can only imagine what your teammates are thinking about you if you spend most of your time in pilot form.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I've deliberately stayed out of the mek longer than I needed to, because the team needed more damage at that moment.

That being said I've never thought "gee I wish I was out of the mek now" because I'm generally in spots where that'd be an instadeath without it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If you have a new mech ready to go then it can help to stay in pilot form to bait people into attacking you, but even with torpedo rush you're just a really fragile Tracer without any of the escapes, and at that point why not just play Tracer.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It'd be like if you're playing TLV and you leave olaf/baelog in fountain and play just as Erik

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Kalko posted:

I have been QM'ing on Genji a lot this past week and any time a D.va is getting cute about lingering in Pilot mode at half health, they are dead.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Yes, I know I have to walk around in mech mode. The POINT is the only thing keeping me in mech form is the self-destruct charge, so it feels less like a fun alternative mode and more like an anchor that I have to drag around the map just so I have it ready for the next fight.

If you weren't holding on to a nuke charge you'd sure as gently caress rather be walking around in pilot mode, it's better for clearing waves, laning, camps, gank rotations, pretty much everything. It's kind of a no-brainer, since you can always just click E to get into robot mode anyway. The only thing the robot is really good at is crashing into enemy teams and blowing up.

You should be able to switch between the modes.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Why is that the only thing keeping you in the mech though? That seems like wasting a lot of D.Va's potential, because you're not slowing or disrupting people as a pilot.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Gustav posted:

Yes, I know I have to walk around in mech mode. The POINT is the only thing keeping me in mech form is the self-destruct charge, so it feels less like a fun alternative mode and more like an anchor that I have to drag around the map just so I have it ready for the next fight.

If you weren't holding on to a nuke charge you'd sure as gently caress rather be walking around in pilot mode, it's better for clearing waves, laning, camps, gank rotations, pretty much everything. It's kind of a no-brainer, since you can always just click E to get into robot mode anyway. The only thing the robot is really good at is crashing into enemy teams and blowing up.

You are looking at this totally backwards. D.Va is a tanky bruiser, and while she can put out a lot of damage on heroes, her role is to break up the enemy deathball and peel your own guys. Her boosters, matrix, self-destruct and bunny hop all work in service to this. In pilot form she contributes absolutely nothing except some admittedly decent ranged AA and a poke. If she gets even so much as looked at by a Varian or Illidan, she's dead in half a second. A D.Va out of her mech might as well have a huge KILL ME sign attached to her back. Spending most of your time outside the mech is throwing away 4000+ HP from your team in order to be a fragile as hell Tracer with one damaging ability.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
...? Pilot mode is absolutely worse for everything you listed. Like, it's not even close.

Waves: You have an AOE basic attack that can clear decently fast, along with Boosters that can take most of the health off a wave without issue. The cooldown on Boosters isn't THAT long.
Laning: She can shut down the dps of an opponent when they come in to dive her, and boost out to safety while still getting some damage in.
Camps: AOE basic.
Ganks: Idk how pilot mode is supposed to be good for ganks? Boosters lets you easily set someone out of position, bunny-hop prevents escaping easily, and you can easily protect against counter-ganks with defense matrix.

Seriously your argument makes no sense at all.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Tracer isn't even a fair comparison because tracer can move and AA.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Here's how pilot mode is good for ganks: mount up -> actually arrive at the gank at the same time as the rest of your team instead of 6 seconds later -> press E -> engage. As you can see, way better than mech mode. Now someone help me get out of this stupid mech suit, I have places to be.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You know you can set up for a rotation a couple seconds early right

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kashuno posted:

You know you can set up for a rotation a couple seconds early right

From past experience, goons can't.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Of course I can do that. My point, for the last time, is that the mech mode is slow, it's cumbersome, it's inefficient, impractical. It has to be compensated for, it doesn't do the things I want my hero to do. And I find it annoying that I have access to the mech mode any time I need to, in an instant, but once inside the robot I do not have access to the pilot mode without jumping through some very counter-intuitive hoops. Not being able to exit robot mode is an aspect of her design I do not like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Are you just complaining mech mode lacks out of combat mobility? Cause yea I agree, i intentionally delay calling the mech if i know I'll need to reposition soon, or we wiped their team and we got an objective/fort to push.

If you preffer pilot mode for actuall fights though maybe give Valla a try instead.