Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Matador and the one that needed dodge psy were a pain for me too (matador especially because I misread the ability you needed to get on him and had to do it twice). But in all cases except the last, I was able to get the skill by just fusing the persona and copying the skill from one of the ingredient personas who had it. For the last one I used a skill card. Virtually all of the required skills either come with, or are the first unlock, for a persona that can be used to make the required one.

I was totally expecting them to become massive bullshit by the end, so I'm kinda surprised they didn't. Although having the skill card on hand for the last one may have skewed my experience with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Digirat posted:

Matador and the one that needed dodge psy were a pain for me too (matador especially because I misread the ability you needed to get on him and had to do it twice). But in all cases except the last, I was able to get the skill by just fusing the persona and copying the skill from one of the ingredient personas who had it. For the last one I used a skill card. Virtually all of the required skills either come with, or are the first unlock, for a persona that can be used to make the required one.

I was totally expecting them to become massive bullshit by the end, so I'm kinda surprised they didn't. Although having the skill card on hand for the last one may have skewed my experience with it.

Yeah you get that card as a reward for mementos.

The next step now that that's done is to fuse my way up to Yoshitsune :smithicide:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Jak 2 is massively better than Jak 3.

at the time of playing it, i was convinced Jak 3 was the better of the 2. in retrospect, itend to agree with this. though a major tonal shift, Jak 2 was a much tighter and coherent game. furthermore, while i eventually replayed Jak 2, i never got around to replaying Jak 3. still fun, though.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Blind Sally posted:

The kart racing game was great too. It had the issue of the second game where everything felt needlessly extreme, grim, and dark, but considering it was set chronologically around that time, it worked for me. It was fun to play. Mario Kart with machine guns.
It also literally didn't work on a lot of PS2s.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Hey Alan Wake, you know what everybody loves? Unskippable and completely random cuts to my captured wife screeching at 4 times game volume for half a second!
Really sets the mood. Christ.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Alan Wake just rots in my Steam Library, which is a better fate than it being removed from the marketplace. I hate the music-rights business and everyone in it.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Olaf The Stout posted:

But sandstorms have the best loot and aren't that bad? Hook megaloot crates and position your car so you're in the lee of the wind when you jump out to break and loot them, make like 2,000 scrap per storm. You actually want sandstorms they're the fastest way to make scrap in the game.

I have twice in the last day found myself caught in a sandstorm while unable to get in my (or any other) car because I'm part way through a mission. I am, as I type this, sitting behind a wall waiting for a sandstorm to end. This is not a good feature. gently caress. Sandstorms.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Minor annoyance for such an old game, but seeing as I'm playing through it again: in the original Dead Space the first time that you encounter a vacuum, you are met with a tutorial box that completely arrests any kind of movement, while your oxygen counter starts counting down.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Read quickly.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I quickly learned that you can just back out of a vacuum area to recharge your O2. It certainly made those sections less stressful.

The game also gives you portable air canisters, but I needed them just once (during the asteroid bombardment).

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I picked up Persona 4 after thoroughly loving 5, and while I expected it to be a step back mechanics-wise due to it being almost a decade older, I didn't expect it to be, like ... this loving hard on normal mode? I blew through P5 on hard without many real difficulties, but I'm in the second dungeon in 4 and everything is constantly kicking my rear end, dealing way too much damage, demanding all of my SP to heal, giving nowhere near enough EXP or money to compensate and I feel like I must be doing something really wrong, because no one ever mentions difficulty when they talk about this game.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

I picked up Persona 4 after thoroughly loving 5, and while I expected it to be a step back mechanics-wise due to it being almost a decade older, I didn't expect it to be, like ... this loving hard on normal mode? I blew through P5 on hard without many real difficulties, but I'm in the second dungeon in 4 and everything is constantly kicking my rear end, dealing way too much damage, demanding all of my SP to heal, giving nowhere near enough EXP or money to compensate and I feel like I must be doing something really wrong, because no one ever mentions difficulty when they talk about this game.

Huh I don't remember it being that hard. I went from P4 to Devil Summoner 2 feeling like I was babied by Persona.

Bear in mind I came into the game following 3 and giving you direct command over the party was a godsend from watching your team waste turns casting the wrong spells.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

Huh I don't remember it being that hard. I went from P4 to Devil Summoner 2 feeling like I was babied by Persona.

Bear in mind I came into the game following 3 and giving you direct command over the party was a godsend from watching your team waste turns casting the wrong spells.

The facts of how Persona 4 plays are forever muddied because drat near everyone's memories of it are now inseparably mixed with Persona 4 Golden.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I still have vanilla 4 and I haven't cracked open 5 yet.

I might make a fresh save and do a side by side comparison when I start on the game.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Persona 4's early game is fairly hard simply because of the sheer lack of options available. All your Personas kind of suck in the first two dungeons and it's a real struggle to make anything decent. After that it gets easier. Make a Black Frost ASAP and that will make for a good magic nuker who covers a bunch of resisted elements.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I only played a couple dungeons into persona 4 but I do remember a few miniboss fights being a huge pain, way more than in persona 5, where the first dungeon is largely harder than everything after it and it's pretty reasonable from then on

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Grinding is something you'll actually have to do in Persona 4 normal mode, unlike in Persona 5 where you can just kill enemies as you see them and be like 10 levels over the boss.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I remember that boss fights in 3 required you to be more mindful of turn order since you could only change ai behavior, so you'd have to pay attention to when the enemy was setting up an attack and direct your boys to either defend or focus on weaknesses to disrupt the enemy turns.

Scanning enemies was supposed to help your team avoid accidentally casting elements that were good for the enemy but it felt pretty inconsistent to me then.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Yeah I should mention that I'm playing the base game because lol who even has a vita?

Zinkraptor posted:

Grinding is something you'll actually have to do in Persona 4 normal mode, unlike in Persona 5 where you can just kill enemies as you see them and be like 10 levels over the boss.

So should I not expect to do dungeons in one day? I can grind if it's something I have to do, but yeah in P5 everything felt comparably way easier and I definitely never had to grind.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

So should I not expect to do dungeons in one day? I can grind if it's something I have to do, but yeah in P5 everything felt comparably way easier and I definitely never had to grind.

You should be able to heal sp with the fox so that you can do all your grinding in one day (in golden, anyway, not sure if it's different in vanilla). It's expensive, but you should be able to get enough money via grinding to make up for it if you use sp efficiently. You can also do requests at the shrine to rank up its social link and lower the cost.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Didn't the fox take a while to appear?

What I did was hit the dungeon first day and there should be checkpoints until you hit the boss. I don't remember how many per dungeon but I could tackle one between two to three days

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yeah I should mention that I'm playing the base game because lol who even has a vita?

People who wanted to play Golden :v:

Got mine right before P4G came out and since then I've only added the FFX remake to my library

I did get a lot of use from it for playing P5 in bed with the link play though

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Also the second dungeon in general is just super loving gross. P5 wasn't great about gay characters but this is just awful.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Early on it's technically possible, but quite difficult. Later dungeons you'll have more tools at your disposal and it starts becoming viable to do them in one day.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Also the second dungeon in general is just super loving gross. P5 wasn't great about gay characters but this is just awful.

One of the big things to remember is that the dungeons are supposed to be reflective of that character's perceptions of themselves, often in an exaggerated and insecure manner. Follow up with that character some more after that dungeon.

Also it's fine to not to finish a dungeon in a day, and once you do complete a dungeon check back in on them some time for a bonus boss that usually drops solid equipment. Also P4 has a big emphasis on buffs and debuffs. I dunno about P5's combat, but skills like Sukukaja are very important.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

It's reaaaaaaally hard to do the first dungeon in one day (unless you have the Vita version and can just get free SP from people online all the time, natch). All of the other ones should be pretty achievable, especially if you're going back on rainy days to grind for cash. They do get absurdly long though (and unlike P5 they're just not that interesting) so invest in the Fox social link so you can get cheaper SP recovery during your runs.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Yeah, as TGLT stated the dungeon isn't so much meant to be a look at how gay people actually ARE so much as a certain character's FEAR of how they could be interpreted as a gay person.

It's basically all the stereotypes of a flamboyant gay man taken up to 11. It's what Kanji sees as what would happen if he accepted himself as gay. It's his fear of everyone seeing him as that. It's been a while but I'm 99% sure that once you beta it and he accepts himself he stays the exact same, hell he's even happier about himself. It's not the game going "HEH, HOMOS RIGHT?" and I'm not gonna say it's done perfectly, but it's very obviously making a point about Kanji's inner fears like how Yukiko is afraid of being chained down and her fears turn into an insane princess stereotype.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
iirc he isn't actually gay, but he likes to sew and he thinks people will think he's gay if they find out

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

2house2fly posted:

iirc he isn't actually gay, but he likes to sew and he thinks people will think he's gay if they find out

That's part of it, but he's also edit:(I guess semi-)explicitly bisexual. It's super obvious with the way he reacts to Naoto, given that he's into her both when he thinks she's a he and after when they find out Naoto is a woman. Also later into his link he straight up says "It ain't a matter of guys and chicks."

edit: It is probably still worth pointing out that a lot of people do totally blow past the amount of his story that isn't related to his sexuality, and more about not living up to a more traditionally masculine ideal.

TGLT has a new favorite as of 17:33 on May 22, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like Kanji's final reaction to his Shadow: Yeah, I'm kinda scared of that happening... but you deal with it. You didn't have to be so pathetic about it... (after punching his Shadow out for misrepresenting/embarrassing him). It also reflects the same way on Naoto - she isn't actually Trans but she feels like her family wouldn't take a female detective seriously enough so she goes as masculine as possible.
She still identifies as female though.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

Naoto - she isn't actually Trans but she feels like her family wouldn't take a female detective seriously enough so she goes as masculine as possible.
She still identifies as female though.

Yeah, Naoto's fear of being a woman in a traditionally masculine career went over a lot of people's heads I think. As too did the chest binding thing, given that some people were surprised by her design in later games.

TGLT has a new favorite as of 19:45 on May 22, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Japan has a weird track record on gender stuff but it really depends of the director. For example, on oversexualisation: Hideo Kojima is terrible with it and comes up with the flimsiest excuses for a bad outfit (MGS: Phantom Pain She breathes through her skin so needs to remain mostly naked! Never mind the guy who eats through his skin via photosynthesis yet still wears a full Gillie Suit.) while Yoko Taro is a lot better (Kaine wears the inappropriate clothing due to being bullied for her unusual gender. The lingerie is her saying "I'm a loving woman regardless of what genitals I may and may not have, and I'm going to loving dress like one and you're all going to loving like it, and if you don't then gently caress YOU!" Shes rebelling against her peoples perceptions of her by forcing them to only see her in the most feminised outfit that she can throw together. The characters in Drakengard I file under "Terrible idea but I applaud what he was trying to do re: using character types that most people wouldn't go near with a 210-foot pole").

The Persona people have overinflated stereotypical representation that come across as awkward but that's because it's how their Characters feel about things, not the directors necessarily, so I put them in between - as trying but awkward.

To clarify my point on Yoko: He had a genuine sense of earnestness that Kojima lacks. He admits that the reason for the dumb camera in Nier:Automata is that he likes looking at 2Bs butt, the Drakengard characters feel like he just wanted to tell a story about a pedophile who was trying to redeem himself due to guilt and just didn't care that it wasn't marketable as it was the story that he wanted to tell goddammit!

Also a point of difference between the Pedo in Drakengard and characters from hack writers like the "Sexy Rapist" from webcomic author Mookie, is that the pedo knows that he has done wrong, accepts that and tries to prevent himself ever doing that again, only for a moment of weakness to cause his worst-case scenario. The Mookie character excuses himself and is excused by other characters because of the "Way the tribes law works" - a law that only works that way because Mookie wrote it to facilitate his lovely character. The pedo broke a law/taboo that his culture observes the same as in the real world, and feels really lovely about it forever. That's why I like the character despite being such a bad idea because the writer knows roughly what he's doing. The Drakengard characters are thoughtfully written bad ideas.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 20:04 on May 22, 2017

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Mad Max again. Trying to do a side mission where you have to go to a specific location at night and use your binoculars to find something. Fine. Except there's no way to accelerate time until it's dark, so I've got to stand around doing loving nothing AGAIN. No other mission I've encountered has been time based, so why not just have the game automatically cycle to night when you get to the right place?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Jumping on that I hate whenever I'm leading an NPC somewhere and I can reach the destination long before them, but they're a trigger for some scripting so I'm waiting. This is more apparent in older games and opening-hours, where you have to watch someone with bad animation open a door, operate a computer, etc. It makes it feel more like a funhouse ride opposed to a game.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Sunswipe posted:

Mad Max again. Trying to do a side mission where you have to go to a specific location at night and use your binoculars to find something. Fine. Except there's no way to accelerate time until it's dark, so I've got to stand around doing loving nothing AGAIN. No other mission I've encountered has been time based, so why not just have the game automatically cycle to night when you get to the right place?

This does totally suck. The only way to manipulate time is to complete a project at any home base, which advances time by 12 hours.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

BioEnchanted posted:

The Persona people have overinflated stereotypical representation that come across as awkward but that's because it's how their Characters feel about things, not the directors necessarily, so I put them in between - as trying but awkward.

I wanna feel like this but what I actually feel is that they always walk it back somehow because the writer(s) are genuinely, deeply uncomfortable with seeing a person who's truly different from the norm as fully human

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Penpal posted:

Jumping on that I hate whenever I'm leading an NPC somewhere and I can reach the destination long before them, but they're a trigger for some scripting so I'm waiting. This is more apparent in older games and opening-hours, where you have to watch someone with bad animation open a door, operate a computer, etc. It makes it feel more like a funhouse ride opposed to a game.

Add to this, the NPC's walking speed is faster than your walking speed but slower than your running speed. :argh:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The first two or three dungeons will take a few trips, and both Kanji's dungeon and its boss are massive jumps in difficulty. After clearing it the rest of the game is much easier, and once you get a few ranks in Hermit you'll be able to finish most of the rest of the dungeons in a day or two. Oh wait, there's one more really difficult dungeon/boss: the "Void"/8-bit dungeon thing. gently caress that boss. There's a pretty good reason for making him as hard as he is, at least. And I just remembered that the boss to the Heaven dungeon is also fairly hard... Okay but that should really be it! It's a harder game than P3 and does require some grinding at times but those three are probably the worst of it, and most of the dungeons after Kanji's are pretty easy, too

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Tiggum posted:

Add to this, the NPC's walking speed is faster than your walking speed but slower than your running speed. :argh:

Assassin's creed was the biggest offender of this since walking to far away zoned you out of the mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

With the Persona 4 talk, I'll always be disappointed they ducked out at the last second on Yosuke's gay romance option, it would've done a whole lot for his character if his dumb bullshit turned out to be coming from closeted overcompensation.

If you don't know what I'm talking about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ogh3mdPHsA