Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
A couple decent no-prizes to explain the shuttle thing: Dahl certainly didn't want anybody stealing the shuttle while he was gone, so he would have put some kind of biometric lock on it so only he could pilot it.

and/or

Given all the trickery with the escape pods and things like that, TranStar seems determined to be the sole arbiters of who gets on and off the station, so deliberately denying people the training to leave on their own seems a logical extension of that.

Plus we already know about two other shuttle pilots: the one floating dead in space you can find, and the one you can decide to blow up or not from the captain's quarters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cool detail: You are listed under the talos I lobby section of the crew list on security stations, and it lists your current location as where you actually are at the time.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Digirat posted:

Cool detail: You are listed under the talos I lobby section of the crew list on security stations, and it lists your current location as where you actually are at the time.

This comes up in a side quest

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mzbundifund posted:

Basically, Morgan was pretty messed up by all the memory resets and each time his/her memory reset he came up with a different failsafe for what to do if things went bananas. One time he decided to blow up the station, one time he decided to escape, one time he came up with the giant nullwave. January is just the operator he made while in his "nuke the station" phase. All the operators are "old Morgan" the question is which Old Morgan do you want to be?.

There's also an audiolog kind of explaining it where Morgan is being evaluated by one of the psych guys and expresses distrust of recordings of himself saying that they "aren't him." So it makes sense that he would keep trying new failsafes.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I wanna yank out my memories of this game and then play it again.

would I make the same choices?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Is it possible to get a return on investment for minerals, by using Recycler grenades on metal?

E- one thing I like. Revisiting an area you've created a phantom in, they teleport to you. Hi buddy :3:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 23, 2017

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
There's an operator in a Trauma Bay office that keeps saying it needs repairs every 20-30 seconds. And there's an email between Trauma Bay staff to tell the owner to shut the operator up already. Lol

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh huh, unlocked an achievement for not killing any humans, thought for sure i plastered one by accident with how liberally i threw around powers.

I liked the ending and the post-ending ending too. While i had sort of figured out that it must be some even deeper simulation that i was in i didn't take that train of thought to the end and figure it all out either. And i sure didn't figure the Earth had already been Typhon-ized some time in the past. I also ended up with the achievement for Maximum Empathy too, i liked that they were confused about why i decided to Null-wave the place rather than nuke it because i wasn't sure what i was going to do about that choice either up until i did it.

Spectacular game that i will probably replay again and at least try to do some stuff seriously different, now it's time for something else for a bit before my backlog grows out of control.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

This was five or six pages ago, but someone suggested a DLC where you're a Mimic. It got tossed off as a joke, but I actually think that could work. I'm thinking back to the Alien campaign of AVP2 where you started off as a Facehugger, then switched to the Chestburster gnawing your way out of a chest, then to a grown alien. Start off as a Mimic, stealth your way through stuff, end up releasing a Phantom which you then switch to. Not sure if you could justify going into the floaty aliens, but it's there.

The narrative might be a little weird given the Typhons' form of consciousness (would they even be sapient?), but it's a possibility.

Anyways, I just ended up plowing through the last few quests tonight after deciding I didn't really need to faff about with the remaining side quests. I liked the ending, even if it was a bit heavily hinted at. Earth being punked was a bummer, I thought it was business as usual down there with Yu-Typhon just being another test subject on the station. I was really expecting to find myself looking at both Morgan and Alex.

Game was really worth the full price of admission, but I'm not sure I'd go through it again, even though I did pure-human this runthrough, which leaves open the possibility of Typhon-only or mixture. I've seen pretty much the whole story and that suffices for me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

E- one thing I like. Revisiting an area you've created a phantom in, they teleport to you. Hi buddy :3:

Nice! I know what build I'm playing next then.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Jack Trades posted:

Nice! I know what build I'm playing next then.

It's good - they draw aggro really well.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I like that if you summon an electric typhon it's a bit of a tough love because his electric discharges will turn off recyclers and fabricators you're trying to use and electrify you when you're standing on those metal staircases. But he wants to be your buddy and always be as close to you as possible :3:.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Palpek posted:

I like that if you summon an electric typhon it's a bit of a tough love because his electric discharges will turn off recyclers and fabricators you're trying to use and electrify you when you're standing on those metal staircases. But he wants to be your buddy and always be as close to you as possible :3:.

Bringing them makes humans hostile, and the friendly phantoms hurt you with their AoE - electric one electrifies metal walkways, etheric leaves pools of ether whenever it's hit, and thermic has a fiery aura active for sometime after fight is over.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Here's a billion dollar question though.
Do hidden mimics attack friendly phantoms or vice verse?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Morgan Yu is kind of an amazing character to explore. As a protagonist, a scientist, a minority face for a triple AAA game, and as a villain

As the game progresses we get to see these different slices of Morgan and while it all sort of coagulates into a scientist aboard Talos 1, there are enough facets and loose ends that make it so every play style can be explained by one of their plot points.

Like you could definitely make a case for Morgan being the Main Villain. They developed Typhon Neuromods and sacrifice human 'volunteers' for the sake of science and research and even in the face of "this poo poo is totally hosed up" at least one version of Morgan believes that literally murdering every single human being on board Talos 1 is their best plan. Your parents own it, but you are the one conducting all this research in the first place.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pyromancer posted:

Bringing phantom buddies lets you make more phantom buddies.

Got it pal. :thumbsup:

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Dogen posted:

I did. Got the dialogue "Oh we can breathe again" but for whatever reason they still assault life support and take casualties :iiam:
I actually played through that section again last night, and Elazar said that they lost a few guys because they ran into some of the military operators en route, which is reasonable because those operators seem to continue working autonomously even after you've taken out Dahl and Kaspar.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Didn't read any spoilers and just beat this game for the first time and what the fuuuuuuuuucck was that ending I was the aliens all along

Emron posted:

Whoa, Danielle Sho is voiced by Ann Veal.

Well no wonder I wanted to save her and smooth her on the mouth the most.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Some sort of long range disk shooting gun with a conscience.

I'm still heartbroken that this isn't in the game. It would have really made it stand on a class of it's own. I really like the story, but I feel like mechanically it's riding on the shoulders of giants. The Deus Ex reboot is sort of the mirror to Prey, in that it mechanically is largely a huge improvement, but story-wise pretty lackluster.

My biggest credit to Prey is the fact that the story and what was really going on kept churning over and over in my head across my 17 hours or so of playthrough - that's what I came to appreciate the most.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 23, 2017

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
I love how Arkane has gone from a gesture based magic system that was almost impossible to use in actual combat to literally superhot where you all of the time in the world as long as you don't move.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Erwin the German posted:

Apologies if this has been said before, but anyone else think this should have been called Psychoshock? Or Neuroshock? Anything shock? I just loving hate the name "Prey."
I imagine it was supposed to be a generic gritty HUMANITY IS THE PREY OF <insert alien name here>! marketing thing. But in reality I imagine Bethesda got the pitch for the game, and instead of using whatever the original title was, rummaged in their spare IP drawer and decided to slap it on instead.

But at this point it's rapidly becoming obvious Bethesda's marketing department is terrible at hyping up games for release. :shrug: I think they're just too used to saying 'New Fallout' or, 'New Elder Scrolls' and carting away wheelbarrows of money while everyone ruins a perfectly good pair of underwear.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Palpek posted:

I took one to my office with two NPC's in, and they didn't attack it - even when it's way was blocked by a chair and it threw it of the way. :3: who's my angry little guy.

They own.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I read about an "october" but I finished the game and never saw it, what's up with that

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Digirat posted:

I read about an "october" but I finished the game and never saw it, what's up with that

Regarding a plot related operator: You can find October in your real room, on your workbench connected to the computer

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Going on Youtube to look up "all endings," I'm honestly kinda dissapointed.

What happened to the player character? Is it always just a VR sim of their "memories?"

Is humanity converted to neuromods/typhon-addicts no matter what?

So I was just playing a typhon/human hybrid the entire time no matter what?

I feel like there was a real lack of ending options/consequences considering the breadth of choices I was given. Also how NPCs would constantly talk over each other.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

limited posted:

I imagine it was supposed to be a generic gritty HUMANITY IS THE PREY OF <insert alien name here>! marketing thing. But in reality I imagine Bethesda got the pitch for the game, and instead of using whatever the original title was, rummaged in their spare IP drawer and decided to slap it on instead.

But at this point it's rapidly becoming obvious Bethesda's marketing department is terrible at hyping up games for release. :shrug: I think they're just too used to saying 'New Fallout' or, 'New Elder Scrolls' and carting away wheelbarrows of money while everyone ruins a perfectly good pair of underwear.

Zenimax is on a role because they've only been releasing legit good games. The moment they slip, gently caress up and release an absolute stinker that branding attachment goodwill is going to go out the window.

It's all going to come down to how well they manage their upcoming properties and leverage them into sustainable revenue.

Actually Zenimax might have a handle on doing just that. They killed the original Prey 2 for quality issues and I can't think of any gaming diarrhea they've released in recent years despite my personal dislike for the game play loop direction Fallout 4 took.
(it's clear I'm in the minority for that franchise since the general public seemed to love building settlements and were quite happy to overlook the aged engine)

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 09:09 on May 23, 2017

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mehrunes posted:

I love how Arkane has gone from a gesture based magic system that was almost impossible to use in actual combat to literally superhot where you all of the time in the world as long as you don't move.

I like Arx's magic system :colbert:

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

I like Arx's magic system :colbert:

I like it in theory but am just too poo poo to use it in practice and relied entirely on precasted spells. I've always wished for time dilation.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mehrunes posted:

I like it in theory but am just too poo poo to use it in practice and relied entirely on precasted spells. I've always wished for time dilation.

You have a point. Time dilation while in Magic Mode wouldn't go amiss there for players that don't have great accuracy with the mouse or just don't want to be bothered.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Reading about Arkane on Wikipedia:

wiki posted:

Cancelled games

Return to Ravenholm, sometimes referred to as Half-Life 2: Episode Four, was being developed by Arkane Studios before being cancelled. The episode would have featured the town of Ravenholm and involved headcrabs and zombies, but due to taking place before the end of Half-Life 2: Episode Two, Valve felt it would be constrained creatively

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
Just get Arkane to do Half Life 3.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Just get Arkane to do Half Life Dishonored 3.

:colbert:

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

I'm going to 100% Prey. The only other game I've bothered that with is actually Dishonored 2. Need to go back to 1 and 100% that one too some time. Here's hoping for a 3.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't care about the title of their next game, I just want them to make another game with a Kick button in it.
Bonus points if it also has a feature that makes NPC slip on poo poo and fall on their face, that poo poo was amazing in Dark Messiah.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I'd like to know why so many bodies are locked in positions where they're holding their arm up to block something yet they haven't been transformed into purple corpses by the mimics.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Corrupted operators?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think it makes sense that they'd invest effort into marketable and fun skills. Their customer base is going to be incredibly wealthy people, not people who want to do jobs.

A millionaire isn't going to want to pay to learn how to fly a shuttle, they're going to want to instantly learn the piano and impress all their wealthy friends.

As for the combat skills, that ties into a different class of wealthy buyer.
How much does a neuromod cost? Does it cost more than a four year college degree?

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

Kurzon posted:

How much does a neuromod cost? Does it cost more than a four year college degree?

I recall an email mentioning that the whole red eye issue wouldn't be that big of a problem, since people wouldn't be able to afford enough neuromods to get that symptom anyway. So, yeah, probably insanely expensive.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kurzon posted:

That depends. How much do you value each year of your life at?

(IE, for a normal student studying is probably waaaay cheaper than neuromodding. But if you're paying someone 10 million a year it might be cheaper to rewire their brain than to send them on a course.)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I liked piecing together the story of that famous retired baseball player who came to the station to get a neuromod that would let him make a comeback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Erwin the German posted:

I recall an email mentioning that the whole red eye issue wouldn't be that big of a problem, since people wouldn't be able to afford enough neuromods to get that symptom anyway. So, yeah, probably insanely expensive.

They're literally hand made on a space station by artisans. Bespoke neuromods.

Yeah they're definitely insanely expensive.