Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

hiddenmovement posted:

A man with financial problems who is too proud to turn to others for help becomes a criminal to make ends meet

Remember though that Jimmy was set up at that nice firm last season but couldn't resist doing Slippin' Jimmy antics and got fired. I don't think pride is his deal. It's a mix of mischief and painful rejection on Chuck's part that are making for a deadly combo. If Chuck could swallow his hatred, Jimmy at worst would be an ethically flimsy but decent person. That's not to let Jimmy off the hook, since like Walt he has the DNA in him to break bad. They're both just the wrong people in the wrong situation.

I think people suggesting Jimmy should take pleasure in his victory and move on with his life forget that he spent years modelling himself like Chuck. Not only being rejected but being hated and almost destroyed by the man he idolized has unleashed levels of spite he can't satisfy with a legal victory.

I thought the insurance scene was cool and good but I think he's going to do something less mischievous and much crueler that might make space blanket Chuck more sympathetic.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Getting lost in the Gila National Forest and dying is an old PI trick.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

snoremac posted:

Remember though that Jimmy was set up at that nice firm last season but couldn't resist doing Slippin' Jimmy antics and got fired. I don't think pride is his deal. It's a mix of mischief and painful rejection on Chuck's part that are making for a deadly combo. If Chuck could swallow his hatred, Jimmy at worst would be an ethically flimsy but decent person. That's not to let Jimmy off the hook, since like Walt he has the DNA in him to break bad. They're both just the wrong people in the wrong situation.

That was to me a combination of the firm's rigidity and having to deal with Chuck on Sandpiper. He still wouldn't have made it at the firm in my view, but he may have stuck with it longer if Chuck wasn't messing with him and Kim (at least from Jimmy's perspective).

Tree Dude posted:

Jimmy with a law degree if Chuck is a normal brother is probably still practicing Elder Law and living a relatively normal life.

Yeah that's the short version of my earlier post, sorry if I muddied the waters on that. At the core it's good old fashioned shakespearean tragedy of brothers bringing down each other.

They made a bold move by deciding to do a Breaking Bad style descent into criminality again and not just giving us Saul helping hardcore criminals escape justice right off the bat, but I definitely think it was the right way to go. Saul's a more interesting character now that we know he wasn't always morally bankrupt enough to suggest shanking someone in prison to a client.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
This was an interesting ep.

I've been a gently caress Chuck person for a while, but Jimmy going to the insurer is a step too far. Him not wanting to help Chuck I can understand, this is the point I say "Jimmy, let it go."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think that was too much for me. Him doing the crying thing was a cringefest. He already screwed Chuck over, that might have been a bit too much.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I don't think he PLANNED to, but when he found out his already very expensive malpractice insurance was going up by 150% because of the suspension, especially at a time when he's already broke, especially in light of the fact he wasn't exactly rolling in money before that, he realized that he was screwed for a lot longer than just a year, and I think impulsively decided to try to get back at Chuck.

And I can't really blame him, that's some fuckin' bullshit.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I agree.

That initial look of shock and defeat? Hearing '150%' was a gut punch. He felt like crying and he felt like punching back, so he did both.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 23, 2017

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, I think his loving Chuck there was a spur-of-the-moment thing. He went in there genuinely hoping he could sweet-talk his way into a refund, or some kind of deal. But the fact that Charles came up first in their search, and the fact that he got even worse news while he was there, gave him the idea and inspiration for a quick bit of spite. Especially since he had some pent-up desire to run scams from the night before.
If he'd gone through the entire process with the insurance company just intending to hurt Chuck from the start, he'd be a very different kind of rear end in a top hat.

For Mike's thing, I can definitely see him wanting to stay out of things, and I can see him wanting to keep Nacho or Playuh from making bad decisions, but I'm not sure how what's-her-name's story flipped him from one to the other.

Notice that the "Gus and Lydia buy real estate" scene from last episode continues to be irrelevant to BCS's actual own stories.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 23, 2017

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I like how the scene provokes such opposite reactions.

I wonder if there's a correlation between low income and fist pumps for Jimmy getting one over on that snooty Chuck. I don't earn poo poo. I liked it.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 23, 2017

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I got the feeling the crying was legit at first, then as he was talking he realized he could gently caress with Chuck. Some petty revenge therapy.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Ditocoaf posted:

For Mike's thing, I can definitely see him wanting to stay out of things, and I can see him wanting to keep Nacho or Playuh from making bad decisions, but I'm not sure how what's-her-name's story flipped him from one to the other.

Maybe it got him thinking about loss and that maybe he could decrease the idiot's odds of dying?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I got the feeling the crying was legit at first, then as he was talking he realized he could gently caress with Chuck. Some petty revenge therapy.

I think the waterworks were just there as part of his plan to gently caress Chuck over. I also agree that he wasn't intending on doing that when he went there, but when he found out that not only couldn't he get a refund but his rate was going to skyrocket he threw Chuck under the bus too. And hey, if his breakdown got his money back all the better, although I'm sure he wasn't really expecting it to.

I also really liked the insurance lady's argument for why he couldn't get the money back, since it'd protect him if any of his previous clients sued him. I mean sure, I think it's bullshit and Jimmy does too, but it at least presented a plausible reason for their policy and for why there was really no legal way for Jimmy to go against it.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

NowonSA posted:

I think the waterworks were just there as part of his plan to gently caress Chuck over. I also agree that he wasn't intending on doing that when he went there, but when he found out that not only couldn't he get a refund but his rate was going to skyrocket he threw Chuck under the bus too. And hey, if his breakdown got his money back all the better, although I'm sure he wasn't really expecting it to.

I also really liked the insurance lady's argument for why he couldn't get the money back, since it'd protect him if any of his previous clients sued him. I mean sure, I think it's bullshit and Jimmy does too, but it at least presented a plausible reason for their policy and for why there was really no legal way for Jimmy to go against it.

So what was up with him asking if they could just stop his insurance and start it back up again if someone were to sue him? Surely Jimmy's smart enough to understand why that makes no sense and is not a thing an insurance company can or should do.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Yeah I really don't think he went in there with the intention to screw Chuck over, but he's gonna blame Chuck for every bad thing that happens to him because of the suspension, for better or worse. I'll give him credit, that was some quick thinking, but also vindictive as gently caress.

e:

Cnut the Great posted:

So what was up with him asking if they could just stop his insurance and start it back up again if someone were to sue him? Surely Jimmy's smart enough to understand why that makes no sense and is not a thing an insurance company can or should do.

I think at that point he was just desperate.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 23, 2017

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

GobiasIndustries posted:

I think at that point he was just desperate.

Yep, I agree. Just grasping at straws hoping someone would help him out. I think he might have also had a moment of self loathing right after that, hearing himself come across as such a desperate person. Could have reminded him of his father, or of some of the clients he had at the public defender's office, and that could have fed into his decision to mess with Chuck.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, he's definitely smart enough to know how insurance works, AND know that a manager at an insurance company isn't going to agree to something like "putting insurance on hold until it's needed". I think at the point she explained that insurance was still active for inactive lawyers because they might be sued by past clients, he started talking purely by dumb instinct, with that "oh but my clients love me and wouldn't ever sue me" stuff.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

This is a bit of a stretch and maybe I'm reading into things, but the whole "can't you just put it on hold" bit might have been him playing dumb, if only to court the woman's sympathy or obfuscate some other grift he was gonna try and pull.

widunder
May 2, 2002

DarklyDreaming posted:

Mike explaining cement work to volunteers like they're a bunch of children
hey that was the scary lady from devil's advocate

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

TomViolence posted:

This is a bit of a stretch and maybe I'm reading into things, but the whole "can't you just put it on hold" bit might have been him playing dumb, if only to court the woman's sympathy or obfuscate some other grift he was gonna try and pull.

Nah. I've had to talk my way out of a couple of contracts and in one I actually did break down, just because I was so loving frustrated and fed up and exhausted and at the end of my rope.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Maybe I'm just trained by TV shows to think a bit player's anecdote is designed to motivate a character, but I have no idea how the hiking lady's story convinced Mike to help that guy with Nacho.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

He maybe had an attack of conscience about Squatcobbler guy and Nacho potentially loving up and ending up disappeared in the desert somewhere and decided he had to stick his oar in. That was my interpretation, but yeah it's a pretty ambiguous bit all round.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

The difference is that no one that would miss squatcobbler.

Except of course us, the viewer

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

drunken officeparty posted:

Cue card girl best girl

Oh is that what the "best boy" does

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Mike saw Hector take his heart pills while surveilling him and figured out Nacho's plan. After the truck robbery, Nacho warned Mike like Mike warns Nacho. Mike seems like the sort of guy who is big on repaying professional courtesy. Also, Nacho is the worst criminal. He is barely 1-3 on getting away with his plans, Mike was there to see every failure too.

I'm sure Mike is going to look into the church lady's late husband. He wrote down something in his notebook leaving the church and he becomes a licensed PI between now and breaking bad. Of course he isn't going to mention it right away so as not to get her hopes up.

The shots were just edited together because it breaks the story up a bit and it's kind of poetic he intends to elucidate the cause of one man's death while concealing the cause of another's.

Sinding Johansson fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 23, 2017

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
I think some part of Mike may also worry he will get blamed by Gus for Hector's death

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Jimmy is established to be a good enough con man that upon reflection I think it's impossible to tell whether or not he had any expectation of getting any slack from the insurance company as opposed to making the whole trip just to gently caress Chuck.

My gut reaction immediately after the scene ended was to assume the worst of Jimmy: his nasty look upon leaving the office is spectacular. I think Gilligan and co did a fantastic job of hitting me over the head with the fact that as much as I want the show to be just a basically decent guy desperately using his wits and his moxie to scrape by in a world that doesn't give him a break, it's actually about Saul Goodman.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

drunken officeparty posted:

Yeah I know but if nothing actionable happened what could they do. I can post all day about being a bad driver but my car insurance can't gently caress with me until I actually get into an accident.

In this analogy his mental breakdown at a hearing is a car accident though.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Mike asks two characters 'get yourself out of it' and they both reply 'I can't, I'm already deep in it''.

Same applies to Mike. Nacho is stuck, which makes baseball card guy stuck AND Mike stuck, because the first person tuco/the twins are gonna look at if this thing goes south are the people Hector has pissed off.

I agree that mikes b story doesn't make a lot of sense. Is he now worried that Kaylee might never know what happened to pop-pop? Why did he not feel that way before? How does navy widows speech tie in with the theme of Mike being too involved now to withdraw? Not the strongest ep from that POV.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Watching Jimmy sneer as he detailed his plan to con the rear end in a top hat in the restaurant, and Kim's slowly growing unease was great, the acting on this show is really good (as is literally every other aspect of the show).

I figured at the end that Jimmy was making some kind of sympathy play to get her to help him out, it wasn't until he started talking about Chuck that I realized he was just looking to gently caress him over since he blames him for the situation he finds himself in now. That final shot of him walking away and grinning was so great.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

Watching Jimmy sneer as he detailed his plan to con the rear end in a top hat in the restaurant, and Kim's slowly growing unease was great, the acting on this show is really good (as is literally every other aspect of the show).

I figured at the end that Jimmy was making some kind of sympathy play to get her to help him out, it wasn't until he started talking about Chuck that I realized he was just looking to gently caress him over since he blames him for the situation he finds himself in now. That final shot of him walking away and grinning was so great.

In the short behind-the-scenes video on the AMC site, Odenkirk says he played the breakdown as a genuine, in-the-moment emotional reaction right up until the part where Jimmy hits upon the Chuck stuff and suddenly realizes what he can do with it.

hiddenmovement posted:

Mike asks two characters 'get yourself out of it' and they both reply 'I can't, I'm already deep in it''.

Same applies to Mike. Nacho is stuck, which makes baseball card guy stuck AND Mike stuck, because the first person tuco/the twins are gonna look at if this thing goes south are the people Hector has pissed off.

I agree that mikes b story doesn't make a lot of sense. Is he now worried that Kaylee might never know what happened to pop-pop? Why did he not feel that way before? How does navy widows speech tie in with the theme of Mike being too involved now to withdraw? Not the strongest ep from that POV.

I don't think Mike is stuck, really. He can walk away any time. Nacho said it himself last season: Hector completely forgot about Mike already.

No, Mike just wanted something from Nacho. That's why the episode ends with him taking his notebook out, about to ask Nacho something. What that is, we don't know yet. Traditional storytelling convention would seem to dictate that it has something to do with his new lady friend and the disappearance of her late husband, but that strikes me as a bit hackneyed at this point, to be honest. The balance of probabilities has it that he just had bad luck and died in any manner of mundane ways alone out in the wilderness, just like what usually turns out to have happened in those sorts of situations. What are the odds that it had anything to do with the Cartel, and why would Mike jump to that conclusion? (If that's really the direction the story is going, of course.)

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 23, 2017

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

My interpretation was that Mike is indirectly responsible for an innocent getting whacked in the desert by Hector and the story reminded him of it.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Isn't he thinking about some shmuck he buried under his new cement driveway 20 years hence?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

My interpretation was that Mike is indirectly responsible for an innocent getting whacked in the desert by Hector and the story reminded him of it.

Oh poo poo, I clean forgot about that but yeah that makes sense.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

It's also worth noting that throughout the episode, we see Jimmy's confidence and personality failing him over and over again. He can't talk his way into getting his community service hours back, he can't talk his commercial customers into buying any more than the bare minimum (IF that), he can't get a refund on his insurance. He's stuck in limbo between the two ends of what he's good at, being a lawyer and being a conman. Don't get me wrong, he's definitely doing what he's doing to spite Chuck. But I think he's also doing it to prove to himself he still has this ability to draw people in and convince them it's their idea to do exactly what he wants.

That scene in the bar, when Jimmy and Kim are playing out their con fantasies? I think that's the first time Jimmy really understood what Marco meant when he said "It's like watching Miles Davis give up the trumpet."

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Ah yeah I forgot about the good samaritan. This is probably it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't really get why he's asking people to shoot multiple commercials. I understand the base reason, he's charging them per commercial and giving them free airtime. Why would they agree to do several commercials? No one seems to have brought up him just airing the one commercial several times.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I was also a bit confused by Mike's motivations and the sudden change of heart, but I was struck by the L&O ME (IMDB says her character name is "Support Group Member")'s last line in the support group scene, which was something like "What use does anybody have for an old uniform?" My guess is that Mike took that very personally and probably considers himself an old uniform, and decided he'd rather be useful again.

Jerusalem posted:

He kind of reminded me of a scheming Dennis Reynolds there...scary.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I don't really get why he's asking people to shoot multiple commercials. I understand the base reason, he's charging them per commercial and giving them free airtime. Why would they agree to do several commercials? No one seems to have brought up him just airing the one commercial several times.

Because that would be reselling the airtime. Something he is explicitly prohibited from doing per his contract with the station.

Making a commercial and throwing in free airtime is the loophole he is using to make money from the airtime while adhering to the letter of the contract.

And he feels he has to make separate commercials to justify the expense to the client. "Why would I pay 8x as much when you are giving away airtime and only made one commercial?"

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

This season owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Golli posted:

Because that would be reselling the airtime. Something he is explicitly prohibited from doing per his contract with the station.

Making a commercial and throwing in free airtime is the loophole he is using to make money from the airtime while adhering to the letter of the contract.

And he feels he has to make separate commercials to justify the expense to the client. "Why would I pay 8x as much when you are giving away airtime and only made one commercial?"

I know, I already said that. What I'm asking is why none of his clients are bringing up why he wants to film multiple commercials and only airing them once.

• Locked thread