Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
You..don't have access to mech mode in an instant? It has a 40s cooldown that only gets shortened by AAs. Charging her E doesn't really take too long. It's possible you just don't like a hero and that's fine, but making things up is silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It sounds like you just want to play Greymane or something then. A D.Va who doesn't spend most of her time mixing it up on the frontline with her mech is next to useless.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

exquisite tea posted:

If you have a new mech ready to go then it can help to stay in pilot form to bait people into attacking you, but even with torpedo rush you're just a really fragile Tracer without any of the escapes, and at that point why not just play Tracer.

because i can't switch to tracer mid-match

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

GGWP DVa also does way more dps than Tracer. If you're not taking advantage of a 800-1000 sustained dps assassin that can turn into a tank as soon as she gets into any trouble idk.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I think it wouldn't hurt if mounting in mech mode made her eject, just without the explosion, and call mech going on it's usual cooldown.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

GGWP gives you the ability to put pressure on heroes outside of mech form so that you don't get rolled over but in terms of usefulness D.Va is much more helpful in setting up kills for the rest of your team in the meka. Like if I had a D.Va on my team who was deliberately throwing away her mech in order to be a weak autoattacking turret who died in a global cooldown I'd be groaning IRL. You're taking up a tank slot in either the MM or your hero league comp so your desire for LEET KILLZ can be satisfied by playing an actual assassin or using the pilot form situationally.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

What's are some good Dva builds right now?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Speaking of Tracer, I tried her for the first time yesterday and she just seems like Genji But Worse. Am I missing something?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Speaking of Tracer, I tried her for the first time yesterday and she just seems like Genji But Worse. Am I missing something?

Her ult?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Fellatio del Toro posted:

She's and Genji do the same job but she does it with even more annoying escape options.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

wiegieman posted:

She's and Genji do the same job but she does it with even more annoying escape options.

Tracer is also ridiculously sticky compared to Genji

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Genji and Tracer perform much the same job in Overwatch, so it makes sense that they're not dissimilar here. :v: Tracer can dive a little more easily than Genji, and Genji can contribute a little better in a team fight.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
When do hero sales change? Does it not line up with free week rotation?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tracer's escapes/evasion require her to disengage, while Genji can protect himself while continuing his assault. Tracer also only has the single skill shot to Genji's boatload.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

exquisite tea posted:

If you have a new mech ready to go then it can help to stay in pilot form to bait people into attacking you, but even with torpedo rush you're just a really fragile Tracer without any of the escapes, and at that point why not just play Tracer.

Sitting in pilot mode pew pewing the Immortal on Battlefield is pretty effective.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Toshimo posted:

When do hero sales change? Does it not line up with free week rotation?

Same day, but the shop usually doesn't update until the afternoon for some reason.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Thrall is a good character to start with I reckon. He has a targeted spell, a skillshot root, an attack boost and his trait heals him. You can build around his Q and be useful while you're figuring out when you can and can't go in for melee damage.

There is a new players guide for HOTS on reddit that is pretty good.

In my opinion you are better served playing a lot of different characters initially, not to improve at them but to get an idea of what they will be capable of when you fight them.

Eh his biggest strength (still?) Is weaving casts with empowered attacks which is tricky to keep track of in a fight.
But I agree just try everyone you can at first. Learn the competition see who clicks and get easy boxes or gold

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
When does D.Va drop to 10k coins? Is it today or in a week or something?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Libertine posted:

When does D.Va drop to 10k coins? Is it today or in a week or something?

Next week

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mind over Matter posted:

Same day, but the shop usually doesn't update until the afternoon for some reason.

Thanks. Deffo buying half price Abathur. Not so sure about half price Nazeebo.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Idk what it is but I can't get the hang of Abathur. I love the whole "Not playing regular HotS" heroes but I don't know how to play Abathur and contribute

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Cool thanks.

Toshimo posted:

Thanks. Deffo buying half price Abathur. Not so sure about half price Nazeebo.

Nazeebo seems insanely good right now. I stopped playing him for a long time and then picked him back up this week after getting tired of losing to him regularly and he just does so much damage with the full spiders build that it's absurd.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Libertine posted:

Nazeebo seems insanely good right now. I stopped playing him for a long time and then picked him back up this week after getting tired of losing to him regularly and he just does so much damage with the full spiders build that it's absurd.

Yeah, but he's so cheap with gold and he's already on free week.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Kashuno posted:

Idk what it is but I can't get the hang of Abathur. I love the whole "Not playing regular HotS" heroes but I don't know how to play Abathur and contribute

I think it might be because Abathur suuuuuucks

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I've been doing all sorts of crazy poo poo in the HOTSGOONS discord server. We got an indentured newsboy servant, goon authentication, region specific lfg channels, and a pretty chill general chat room. Check it out if you haven't been using it.

https://discord.gg/hprC27v

Dietrich fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 23, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kashuno posted:

Body soak then pick the clone ult.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

whalestory posted:

That's fuuuuuucked up

Not really, since the entire idea is to keep it straight forward. It literally can't be more simple than spells do spell damage, attacks do attack damage. :shrug:

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
So, how many heroes should I have unlocked before I start playing draft modes? I'm mostly doing QM and vs AI right now.

Half? All?

Also I am real bad at video games. The only heroes I've done well with so far are lane pushers like Azmodan, and I've had some luck with Malfurion and a couple other healers. How do I git gud at assassins/Warriors?

Lemon-Lime posted:

Please don't do this in QM where there's mirror matches because it is extremely confusing to have three of the same hero running around.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Abathur is fun as heck even though I'm pretty sure he's not great for ranked play or whatever. He makes your team fights 4v5 but he does help a lot with 1v1s. I build him in a way that lets him keep creep groups alive with symbiote shield healing and ally shield, and the ult that basically gives you a mercenary, and be sure to soak multiple lanes by keeping your real body hidden near where creeps are fighting so your locusts spawn closer to their towers. Clone ult is hella fun too as long as you know how to play the character you turn into.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lemon-Lime posted:

I am a literal idiot and didn't even think about body soak holy poo poo.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Bogart posted:

I got you. Leon Trotsky has good overall tips: here's some more drilled down ones.

re: abathurchat. click this post to find the many words i wrote

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Dietrich posted:

I've been doing all sorts of crazy poo poo in the HOTSGOONS discord server. We got an indentured newsboy servant, goon authentication, region specific lfg channels, and a pretty chill general chat room. Check it out if you haven't been using it.

https://discord.gg/hprC27v

Lemme know when there's a HOTGOONS server. TIA.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kashuno posted:

Abathur is all about turning small advantages into a snowball.

Always be watching the minimap. Awareness of what's going on is extremely important for performing well with Abathur. If you don't know exactly where the enemy heroes are, then you need to be able to guess where they are and what they're doing based on the last time you saw them and the map state.

Hat Symbiote actually plays a significant role in winning small fights. Over the course of a typical symbiote you're giving your ally a few hundred extra health and taking away several hundred health from the enemy. That's a big swing and absolutely no one below Diamond respects it. If you see (because you were watching the minimap) a scuffle breaking out, symbiote someone in it and spray out some needles.

Always move yourself to an empty lane. Feel free to be aggressive with your positioning, but know that the more aggressive you are, the more careful you will need to be to make sure you can burrow away from enemies coming to chase you. This matters because your attention is a finite resource: the more attention you expend to protect yourself the less attention you can devote to monitoring the rest of the match. But consistently picking up XP in an empty lane will give your team an advantage over time as well as map control and pressure from larva moving the conflict zone further and further towards the enemy's forts. You can also bait the enemy by doing this and get them to waste their time chasing you all over the map while your teammates pick up camps and objectives.

Sprinkle toxic nests every time you drop symbiote (which should be frequently). Put them near merc camps, in bushes, along traveling lanes, and near objectives. The nests do good damage but most importantly are alarms for your team: if they get tripped then you know where the enemy is and where they're going. On smaller maps like Towers of Doom these nests are fantastic because you can consistently tag the enemy team with them, so they'll be showing up to fights at 80% health while your allies are at full health. Small advantages like this can tip a lot of important fights.

I don't like the toxic nest talent path and think it's a trap. There's generally two builds I go with Abathur: buffing the symbiote (in which case I take the pushing ultimate) or pushing harder (in which case I take the cloning ultimate). It's a bad idea, and easily countered, to go all in on either symbiote or pushing.

The ideal of playing Abathur is that you do it well enough that the enemy gets overwhelmed trying to respond to everything you're doing: global map scouting, chip damage, tilting duels, trash streaming down their lanes. The nadir of playing Abathur is constantly trying to dodge the Medivh who has it out for you.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
A good abathur can really enhance his team even in ranked play. His ability to soak lanes and show up to any engagement on the map at any time is a huge plus. Clone is also incredibly powerful because being able to duplicate certain people can demolish teamfights. Being able to flexibly clone your tank or assassins (or occasionally support) can absolutely win you team fights.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

von Metternich posted:

Please don't do this in QM where there's mirror matches because it is extremely confusing to have three of the same hero running around.

is this a joke post

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

A really good Abathur will just push your poo poo in all match so that you have to split time defending the minions pouring into your core. A bad Abathur is like fighting a 5v4 all game. The bad Abathurs are always on your team.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Tsurupettan posted:

is this a joke post

dude is literally new to the game, so I don't think so. He'll learn to tell the difference between purple clone and real not to mention skins and junk are gonna be way more common going forward

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
One of the funnier abathur things is when your team loses a fight but someone on their team sticks around to keep fighting your clone for some reason and dies to it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

chumbler posted:

If they ever give the bonerlord (may he rest in peace) a second button then the game will be truly dead.

Skeleton Wraith King has had two buttons since 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Do people still call all of the DOTA2 characters by their old names? I remember HoN being a nightmare for new players