Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Twain was pretty anti-racist. He was friends with Frederick Douglas, was a harsh critic of American and European imperialism, and paid for a black person to go to Yale Law School.

He uses the N word a lot in Huck Finn, but there's a reason for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Hey, does any of you know what Infamous Sphere has been up to? She's had like zero output for months now.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

She's reviewed some beers, but her shows have been on hold for a while, yeah. Her awesome reading of a Chick tract came up in a recommended video on my youtube and I was reminded of how great it was.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sarcopenia posted:

Hey, does any of you know what Infamous Sphere has been up to? She's had like zero output for months now.

"Infamous Sphere" has a lot of new meaning now that the orb exists.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

business hammocks posted:

She's reviewed some beers, but her shows have been on hold for a while, yeah. Her awesome reading of a Chick tract came up in a recommended video on my youtube and I was reminded of how great it was.

I loved her queer musicians lists and even though I'm not a period piece kind of gal I've also enjoyed her reviews centered around that. The last things I've seen of hers that I've noticed are bird videos. Birds are sweet as hell but it would be nice to get some reviews. Hope she's okay and maybe just burned out.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Bird... videos?

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

Bird... videos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CEgWBnR-tw

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mr. Regular sits in a very irregular umbrella carrier.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ1OXSusKdw

Jim goes after World of Tanks.

Edit: Whoops got to excited and posted before seeing the end of the video where he talks about the forthcoming changes.

Sarcopenia fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 22, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Sarcopenia posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ1OXSusKdw

Jim goes after World of Tanks.

Edit: Whoops got to excited and posted before seeing the end of the video where he talks about the forthcoming changes.

He's ditching the black suit, red tie, leather gloves and J flag?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

MariusLecter posted:

He's ditching the black suit, red tie, leather gloves and J flag?

It wouldn't be the same without it, he'd be a lesser man and we would all be lesser people.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Judge Tesla posted:

It wouldn't be the same without it, he'd be a lesser man and we would all be lesser people.

No.

The horribly awkward goony outfit that is also like, dressing up your sympathetic host as a nazi is weird and bad and turns off non members of the cult of jim from watching his videos.

I welcome this decision.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I don't think there's a single person in my YouTube subscription list that wouldn't be better off dumping their lovely gimmicks and just doing what they already do without them. You don't need on-screen personas and visual gimmicks if your content is strong enough to stand on its own today. It's not 2009 anymore. I swear, Pewdiepie, AVGN and Nostalgia Critic scorched the ground on this by making everyone believe they needed to imitate them.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nazis being an actual thing with significant video-game and internet crossover sadly requires some consideration.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Twain was pretty anti-racist. He was friends with Frederick Douglas, was a harsh critic of American and European imperialism, and paid for a black person to go to Yale Law School.

He uses the N word a lot in Huck Finn, but there's a reason for that.

yea shockingly no one in that time was really perfect by our standards but Twain is a solid example of a dude who actually walked the walk when it came to talking about problems. He was more than willing to mock the stupidity around him and actually make efforts to help instead of just pointing and going 'hey that's bad, guys that's bad, did you know that's bad?'

Mark Twain: America's more productive bitch

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

MiddleOne posted:

I don't think there's a single person in my YouTube subscription list that wouldn't be better off dumping their lovely gimmicks and just doing what they already do without them.

Todd Not In The Shadows?

edit jfc I just now realized Todd's pseudonym acronyms out to tits.

lornekates fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 23, 2017

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

lornekates posted:

Todd Not In The Shadows?

edit jfc I just now realized Todd's pseudonym acronyms out to tits.

Todd In The Flood Lights :eng101:

He's so over-exposed and poorly white balanced you literally cannot see him.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

nine-gear crow posted:

Todd In The Flood Lights :eng101:

He's so over-exposed and poorly white balanced you literally cannot see him.

I was thinking of something like this as responses to his not so good pop song reviews like for Bad and Boujee.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I will miss Born Depressed as Jim theme.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BigRed0427 posted:

I will miss Born Depressed as Jim theme.

:same:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Awww, Born Depressed is a hell of a tune and I always jam out to it during the intro. I'm sure he wouldn't replace it if he didn't have something good to replace it with though.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
On the one hand, I'm 100% expecting him to just go all in on Chains Of Love at this point.

On the other hand, if it was that simple and obvious he'd probably have said so rather than dancing around it coyly because I'm sure everyone was thinking it on some level anyway.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Chains of Love.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

cosmically_cosmic posted:

No.

The horribly awkward goony outfit that is also like, dressing up your sympathetic host as a nazi is weird and bad and turns off non members of the cult of jim from watching his videos.

I welcome this decision.

business hammocks posted:

Nazis being an actual thing with significant video-game and internet crossover sadly requires some consideration.

The only consideration required is that Jim Sterling is good and the shtick is good. If someone refuses to watch him because of a silly appearance, that's dumb.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Yardbomb posted:

The only consideration required is that Jim Sterling is good and the shtick is good. If someone refuses to watch him because of a silly appearance, that's dumb.

The shtick being his appearance? No sorry, embarassing nazi cosplay is not good. I mean it is a visual medium after all, and he does insist on doing his hitler routine on camera. Despite it not even being even a 'character' at this point according to people ITT.

I mean I'm not even sure if this is just another jokey Jimquisition is a cult post, because I'm sure half of those have stopped being ironic and some people now genuinely believe dressing up in trash bags in front of a nazi flag is cool and someone who sees it and thinks of it as a flaw is dumb.

Basically

MiddleOne posted:

I don't think there's a single person in my YouTube subscription list that wouldn't be better off dumping their lovely gimmicks and just doing what they already do without them. You don't need on-screen personas and visual gimmicks if your content is strong enough to stand on its own today. It's not 2009 anymore. I swear, Pewdiepie, AVGN and Nostalgia Critic scorched the ground on this by making everyone believe they needed to imitate them.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

What the poo poo are you even talking about.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
it's an ironic depiction of a cult of personality you dumb motherfucker

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's still lame and bad tbh

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Jim Sterling bad

No. Jim Sterling good

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I can't believe I'm saying this but you guys really need to stop thinking about nazis so much

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Tired Moritz posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this but you guys really need to stop thinking about nazis so much

The nazi thing isn't the main problem, it's goony costumes in general. It's just funnier to say nazi than 'generic dictator costume'.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Sounds good to me. Shame to lose the song but the look of the Jimquisition has been the same for like, years now and aside from it coming from the times when Jim Sterling used to be a bit of a shitbag...meh, change is good. Seems that the pulpit's staying anyway, it'll just likely be a wall of Boglins backing it or something.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
As long as he's still "#1 Kissboy" and says "Thank God for Me. Jim Sterling son."

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hopefully he still retains being Jim loving Sterling Son.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Didn't he talk about planning on getting his name legally changed to Jim Sterling?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It was a good anchor for the Jimquisition, and I'll be sad to see it go. Looking forward to Jimquisition 2: Electric Boglinoo, though!

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

cosmically_cosmic posted:

The shtick being his appearance? No sorry, embarassing nazi cosplay is not good. I mean it is a visual medium after all, and he does insist on doing his hitler routine on camera. Despite it not even being even a 'character' at this point according to people ITT.

I mean I'm not even sure if this is just another jokey Jimquisition is a cult post, because I'm sure half of those have stopped being ironic and some people now genuinely believe dressing up in trash bags in front of a nazi flag is cool and someone who sees it and thinks of it as a flaw is dumb.

Basically

jim sterling is good now

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I agree with others when they say the faux-fascist look is not the kind of thing that should survive in our current political climate, where right wing populism can take hold so easily, it's a gimmick that needed to be killed and I'm glad of it

it was mostly harmless prior to our darkest timeline but yeah, ironic or no, it just doesn't fly

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

As long as we keep Nr1 Kissboy I'm fine with it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

It'd be great if he stuck with the Horrible Supervillain schtick and switched to like a Skeletor lair or something.

Granted, that's probably too expensive to bother, but it'd be brilliant.

• Locked thread