Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Man, Hammy's episode was a dud :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

deadly_pudding posted:

Amazons talk:
Chihiro is like a being composed of pure bad ideas. Do NOT take the dead girl back to her high school, friend.

Can you blame him? His very existence is a bad idea. Jin wanted to kill all Amazons...so he had a son. Who is, of course, an Amazon like Jin himself. And I genuinely doubt that Jin doesn't want his kid dead, I can't imagine that his happiness at finding Chihiro won't be followed by "now I can fix this mistake", especially seeing how violently Chihiro defends himself from anyone pointing out that he's an Amazon and not a human. That was probably born from trauma at Jin's sheer hate of the race.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Neat! I'll definitely have use for that head!

Now C'mon Fujioka!!!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Man that just reminds me of how good the Ultra Garrison uniforms are.

They are actually professional looking, with a bit of old west flare with the way the belt hangs down. They have a kind of timeless quality to them, as does UltraSeven and the original. You wouldn't really peg them for being from any specific era. There's nothing very 60s about them, though the same cannot be said about the Science Patrol uniforms and their bright orange suits and ties.

I really do hope this figure succeeds and we can start getting other human alter egos. That would be just loving ideal. Though uh, maybe not some of the other Ultra hosts. Some of their uniforms are

Atrocious

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Burkion posted:

Man that just reminds me of how good the Ultra Garrison uniforms are.

They are actually professional looking, with a bit of old west flare with the way the belt hangs down. They have a kind of timeless quality to them, as does UltraSeven and the original. You wouldn't really peg them for being from any specific era. There's nothing very 60s about them, though the same cannot be said about the Science Patrol uniforms and their bright orange suits and ties.

I really do hope this figure succeeds and we can start getting other human alter egos. That would be just loving ideal. Though uh, maybe not some of the other Ultra hosts. Some of their uniforms are

Atrocious

Hey, you know who has a badass uniform?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yet more reasons for Dan to succeed

Let's prove we're all ready and willing to own tiny plastic depictions of Japanese men!

More than we already do anyways

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Burkion posted:

Yet more reasons for Dan to succeed

Let's prove we're all ready and willing to own tiny plastic depictions of Japanese men!

More than we already do anyways

Ichijo figure or no deal

e: I'll take one of Hikawa too

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
Whoever makes Legend Heroes really gets Sentai.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Bioman's fights are downright cool. :allears:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Geddy Krueger posted:

Whoever makes Legend Heroes really gets Sentai.

It's like Shinken Ha-Oh and the G-12 had a baby. A horribly top-heavy, tortured, beautiful baby.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ichijo figure or no deal

e: I'll take one of Hikawa too

Oh yeh, Strix, if you're wanting to branch out into other Toku, I highly suggest Gavan. It's the inaugural metal heroes show, and it's really entertaining, and fully subbed by millionfold curiosity.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Oh yeh, Strix, if you're wanting to branch out into other Toku, I highly suggest Gavan. It's the inaugural metal heroes show, and it's really entertaining, and fully subbed by millionfold curiosity.

I have it ready and waiting for me! :D

That said, of the Metal Heroes I'm probably going to do Juspion or Winspector first because of GOTH SATAN or adorable police robots - but we'll see~

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Man, Hammy's episode was a dud :/

Naga was good though.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

Naga was good though.

Naga has never not been good.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

PMush Perfect posted:

It's like Shinken Ha-Oh and the G-12 had a baby. A horribly top-heavy, tortured, beautiful baby.
It's the Go-Onger and Goseiger zords I think. Whatever it is, it owns.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

For the overwatch fans in the audience, new Genji skin

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

StrixNebulosa posted:

Bioman's fights are downright cool. :allears:

The Bio Robo fights are some of the best giant robot fights in Sentai, at least for the first half/two thirds of the series. They never really get bad, but after a major shake up of the villains they finally get a stock footage finisher like most other teams so you don't get the awesome unique finishers.

This is helped by the fact that the MOTW are nothing but giant robots, so they're given way more focus and attention than any other Sentai.

With Sentai and Giant Robot fights, more often than not they're pretty well forced in. As much as I like Liveman, it's a show that would do a lot better without the robot action. Besides Colon who is the best.

Dairanger might be the worst one though just because it has some really awesome mecha and some *FANTASTIC* ideas that it does absolutely nothing with. Power Rangers made better robot fights using those suits than the Sentai did.

Bioman is a really good, but really weird Sentai honestly. It's kind of super unique in how it handles things.

It is flawed, and it is very clearly a kids show that doesn't even attempt any deeper meanings or complex stories, but it's also the first serious Sentai. Like, completely straight faced serious all the way through.

The series prior would have almost taken that if not for the fact that it was still a baseball themed team.

Here, they're just technology themed super humans who have to fight one of the more intelligent and ruthless villains in the show.

Doctor Man is quite a character who I'd love to go over later, and it's a toss up for who is more completely vicious, him or Professor Bias from over at Liveman. Doctor Man might win out in that regard, if only because of how he goes out compared to Bias.

With Bias, his death is really kind of tragic as he loses his mind and Gash is left to comfort him. Its entirely his own doing, but that extra bit gives him some serious sympathy. Doctor Man has no such way out. He could have, too. His son pleading for him to regain his humanity- but he refuses. He dies knowing that his will is all that matters, knowing that he is the greatest intellect the world has ever known, denying any idea of redemption or pity.

Bias and Doctor Man have a fair bit in common. Doctor Man edges out in my eyes though, just because of the sheer glory that is FOR THE MAN

Best villain catch phrase ever.

A major weakness with Bioman is that I hope you like seeing them fight the foot soldiers, which are, to be fair, one of the better designed groups around but still just foot soldiers. Because that's 90% of the ground fights, probably because they couldn't really keep throwing the Five Beastnoids into constant battle without the suits giving out.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Burkion posted:

As much as I like Liveman, it's a show that would do a lot better without the robot action. Besides Colon who is the best.

Doctor Man is quite a character who I'd love to go over later, and it's a toss up for who is more completely vicious, him or Professor Bias from over at Liveman. Doctor Man might win out in that regard, if only because of how he goes out compared to Bias.

With Bias, his death is really kind of tragic as he loses his mind and Gash is left to comfort him. Its entirely his own doing, but that extra bit gives him some serious sympathy.

Bias and Doctor Man have a fair bit in common.
I haven't seen Bioman yet, but as a huge Liveman fan, yeah, that series would do better without the giant robot fights. The bit with them I find completely absurd is that every time the monster enlarges there's the shot of the Livemen... running in circles? Jumping back and forth?

That bit honestly made me feel worse for Gush than Bias. Gush despite being intelligent enough to lie to Bias in order to try to make him feel at ease in his final moments was created to obey Bias and never had a choice in the matter. Bias, meanwhile, is being comforted with the idea that his world-scale mind control succeeded and everyone is mindlessly worshipping him. What happened to Bias is nasty, but given the scale of his crimes to that point...

Liveman is a favorite of mine as a Showa Sentai with (relatively) strong themes and characters. Also, the gloriousness that is Beauty Beast Kemp. :P

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The thing that I loved most is that almost every time Gash makes the monster big, the Livemen do this stop-and-drop routine to avoid being hit by the beam.

Bias has some pretty great moments but his final goal seems weak in comparison to his methods. There's room for ruthless murder guys who see themselves as gods and for vain weirdos who just want to be admired by all, but don't make them the same person.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Gash/Gush is seriously my favorite Sentai villain. He's just this ultra competent super on point bad guy that is the best from start to finish.

It's fitting that he's the final fight in the end, and he even survives it no less.

The Biomen themselves don't have a whole lot of character to write home about. Like, each one of them HAS their own character, but they're more archetypes than anything.

Liveman is the first series to really push solid character work and emotional plot points. Well except Maskman I guess.

What makes Bioman work is that every episode is a 20 minute adventure full of lasers, robots, explosions, and punching bad guys in the dick. There is a neat running storyline through the show revolving entirely around Doctor Man, which is rare and nice, but it doesn't come up as frequently.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bioman is pretty much the first sentai to start using serialized storytelling so that's pretty neat in and of itself (granted, Denziman and Dynaman had a bit of that too but not to the same extent).

The reason the mech fights in Dairanger suck so much is (to my knowledge) that the director hated the concept and wanted to skip it entirely, so when Toei forced it in he intentionally did them as half-assed as possible.

As for Liveman, my one real issue is that they never really discuss Bias' origins all that much, nor are his motivations ever fully explored (he still works as a decent villian though, I just wish we'd gotten a bit more depth to the character).

Also, while the series probably could have done without the mech fights the mechs themselves still look pretty good even by today's standards (especially the Yellow Lion).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 23, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yellow Lion is so drat good. When I first saw it I thought I was going to find a secret diamond in the rough for mecha fights, like the precursor to Zyuranger

Sadly no. He only gets the first outing and after that it's just a whole lot of nothing.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yellow Lion was so good, Hurricanger reused it!

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Larryb posted:

As for Liveman, my one real issue is that they never really discuss Bias' origins all that much, nor are his motivations ever fully explored (he still works as a decent villian though, I just wish we'd gotten a bit more depth to the character).

Also, while the series probably could have done without the mech fights the mechs themselves still look pretty good even by today's standards (especially the Yellow Lion).
Yellow Lion is amazing. I kind of like the complete lack of depth to Bias - he's a narcissistic megalomaniacal sociopath, which is what he attempts (and to a large degree succeeds) to turn his "disciples" into, and he doesn't have any depth to him as a result. Hence why his goal is so shallow. It's why he's the only villain without sympathetic moments at the least, or some kind of realization about what he'd done. Even Kemp did better. He's still a terrifyingly competent villain, though. I really love the insane bit with him faking aliens coming to him to study, as it both serves the goal of pushing his other students into a blind rush to "succeed", and fitting his narcissism.

Also, my favorite thing in the series may be in the climax where Yuuske gets into the Brain Base, has no idea where he's going or what Bias looks like, wanders into the Brain Room by chance and has to ask if the person inside is Bias.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/RevolverUnit/status/867128003590995970

Toku twitter is wild.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You missed the best thing about that

https://twitter.com/RevolverUnit/status/867135846230614016

https://twitter.com/RevolverUnit/status/867136216000380928

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Well, Kamen Rider Chronos' intro was pretty amazing. Looks like Kuroto got out-masterminded.

e: now that I think about it, this should technically render Kamen Rider Chronicle unbeatable, as there isn't a way to get Lovlica's gashatrophy if he's dead.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 24, 2017

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Twelve by Pies posted:

Well, Kamen Rider Chronos' intro was pretty amazing. Looks like Kuroto got out-masterminded.

I can't believe going to prison for five years was just part of his long-con. Every member of Kuroto's family, including Poppy, loving rules.

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."
Ex-Aid continues to own. Loved Nico's impression of Taiga.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

which sentai is it that has the villains who shout "FOR THE MAN" again? Liveman or Bioman?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Bioman baby

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ah, right.

FOR THE MAN!

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

e: now that I think about it, this should technically render Kamen Rider Chronicle unbeatable, as there isn't a way to get Lovlica's gashatrophy if he's dead.

Given Kuroto Dan somehow pulled a DoReMiFa Beat gashatrophy out of his hat, I'm not so sure about that.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I mean, from what we can tell, Emu's final powerup is basically a Game Genie, so he's just going to cheat his way into not having to use any continues.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
maximum x is already cheat engine

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

Poppy still has the Toki Meki Crisis Gashat. Maybe they can extract data from that. Unless what Chronos did extends to the associated Gashats as well.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

So I was watching Agito and I think I got things mixed up, I'm now in an episode of Ex-Aid? :psyduck:

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

So I was watching Agito and I think I got things mixed up, I'm now in an episode of Ex-Aid? :psyduck:

"You can't cut an hour and fifty minutes from this procedure! That's madness!"

"There is nothing I cannot cut."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/JHEROCOM/status/867505554884763648

I wish this was real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Twelve by Pies posted:

I think my favourite part of that episode is that our new antagonist doesn't refer to the characters by their real names or their Rider names. He refers to them by the name of the product they're using at the time. Because that's all he sees them as. Little things like that show how good the writing gets what it's trying to do.

• Locked thread