Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Cuntellectual posted:

That site is so early 2000s it's painful. The green font is atrocious.

I grew up on the early internet, so I nostalgia the gently caress out on basic html web pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
https://dead-cells.com/

So this just released and heard nothing about it. Looks to be really good and polished. Labeled as a Castlevania-rogue-like.

Seems pretty interesting and is only 14.44 on Steam right now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Diabetic posted:

So this just released and heard nothing about it. Looks to be really good and polished. Labeled as a Castlevania-rogue-like.

It's in early access as a note.

It's pretty fun. It's kind of a more polished Rogue Legacy with the giant neon warning sign that as of the current build the weapon balance is completely and utterly hosed in the player's favor.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Diabetic posted:

This looks extremely my poo poo.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I would if it came to the Switch.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gologle posted:

This looks extremely my poo poo.

It's very good. Very polished and there's a lot of content already. I made a thread for it for anyone that wants to discuss it.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
It's a good game, I like Dead Cells. It's worth trying out

It feels castlevania, but it's detailed in a way that kinda makes me think of vectorman. It's weird.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 13, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd probably be interested if it actually had level design instead of being a rogue like.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

EDIT: oh, and Volgarr the Viking finally came out on PS4/Vita in NA, EU's coming soon.

Here's a not-completely-awful-looking CV game that's notable for two reasons: one, it has voice work by some CV voice actors including the guy who did Alucard in SOTN, and two, they say Konami game them the OK to make the game as long as they don't try to sell it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht-IL7eccrE

This came out today, if anyone's interested: http://www.mediafire.com/file/8a3iii98pn28t2s/CTLC2.rarhttp

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

I'd probably be interested if it actually had level design instead of being a rogue like.

Their algorithm does a pretty good job. The first zone isn't anything to write home about, the the next two are solid.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I'm gonna miss awkward run cycles once Bloodstained comes out. Maye they'll add it in that bonus retro game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I forgot all about the Bloodstained spinoff game!

Inti Creates is showing off two Switch games at Bitsummit this weekend - one has been confirmed to be Mighty Gunvolt Burst for Switch/3DS and now I'm guessing the other is the Bloodstained spinoff, probably also for Switch/3DS.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I am loving this game! It's like Castlevania 2 meets Order of Ecclesia as far as the structure goes, but a lot of the gameplay mechanics are unique. I think I'm about halfway through the game but I can't get enough.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 18, 2017

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Where are the Bloodstained updaaaaaaates

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Oh yeah, thanks for the heads up. Gonna give it a shot

That reminds me, I never did get back with Bloodstained when they asked me if I wanted PC or Console. Is it too late?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Shouldn't be. Just follow the link in the email they sent you and you should be able to enter your choices.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Where are the Bloodstained updaaaaaaates

dev studio spent all their money on kings quest instead

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
There was two in march but none in April, wasn't there?

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Hey this is pretty good. It doesn't want to fully detect my 360 controller though. D-pad works, buttons don't.
Oh I guess I'm supposed to set it up in JoyToKey

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 20, 2017

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
How did this guy manage to get so many voice actors for a free game? Even Nier Automata's 2B VA is voicing this game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

nerdz posted:

How did this guy manage to get so many voice actors for a free game? Even Nier Automata's 2B VA is voicing this game.

He contacted them and they felt like contributing for free I guess. It's not unheard of. Kira Buckland even got her start in this sort of stuff.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Word of warning- it's baaad.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
What's wrong with it? The usual "obviously only playtested by the creator" fangame difficulty issues?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Rollersnake posted:

What's wrong with it? The usual "obviously only playtested by the creator" fangame difficulty issues?

The design problems from the first game, taken to an extreme, basically. Tons of half-baked one-off setpieces and mechanics, numeric balance problems, really, really obviously edited stock photos of static objects as bosses, aside, the gameplay is remarkably static and murky. Bosses are the worst of all, about 80% of them don't move or just move in a set pattern with scripted invincibility for most of it. The parts of the game that work graphically look great, but everything else is a huge cludge. The fangames LP thread is giving it a runthrough, if you'd like to experience it vicariously.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 21, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

The design problems from the first game, taken to an extreme, basically. Tons of half-baked one-off setpieces and mechanics, numeric balance problems, really, really obviously edited stock photos of static objects, aside, the gameplay is remarkably static and murky. Bosses are the worst of all, about 80% of them don't move or just move in a set pattern. The parts of the game that work graphically look great, but everything else is a huge cludge. The fangames LP thread is giving it a runthrough, if you'd like to experience it vicariously.

Yeah I got up to the castle before I lost wind. Graphically and musically the game is top notch, and I like how it goes for a Simon's Quest style metroidvania over the typical later Castlevania style. But the actual design of the areas, the enemy layouts, the boss designs, and even how the exploration is planned out is all utter trash. I think the worst part is the level design; you're forced to go through levels in both directions in most cases and the levels are clearly designed to only be gone through in one of those. If you try the other a lot of the enemies and traps are nigh unavoidable.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
IGA's talking Bloodstained at Bitsummit right now: https://www.twitch.tv/bitsummit

EDIT: they showed off the character model for Zangetsu, one of the alternate playable characters.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 21, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Huh. I can't figure out what the Georf's Alchemy does in that fangame.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Discendo Vox posted:

The design problems from the first game, taken to an extreme, basically. Tons of half-baked one-off setpieces and mechanics, numeric balance problems, really, really obviously edited stock photos of static objects as bosses, aside, the gameplay is remarkably static and murky. Bosses are the worst of all, about 80% of them don't move or just move in a set pattern with scripted invincibility for most of it. The parts of the game that work graphically look great, but everything else is a huge cludge. The fangames LP thread is giving it a runthrough, if you'd like to experience it vicariously.

I'm about halfway through the castle and haven't noticed any invincible bosses, unless you count teleporting as invincibility. If I ever find any balance problems it's because I missed some equipment upgrade somewhere. Though there are a few near unkillable enemies once in awhile to make you find another route

So far I'm really enjoying it. Difficulty feels fine if you think of it as an old CV game. Controls are pretty good too

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

IGA's talking Bloodstained at Bitsummit right now: https://www.twitch.tv/bitsummit

EDIT: they showed off the character model for Zangetsu, one of the alternate playable characters.

Well Bitsummit's kinda lovely. Cut out and interrupted to show some guy in a morphsuit with a shakeweight, then they cut the ending off. Hope there's a full clip of Iga somewhere

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 21, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

HolyKrap posted:

I'm about halfway through the castle and haven't noticed any invincible bosses, unless you count teleporting as invincibility. If I ever find any balance problems it's because I missed some equipment upgrade somewhere. Though there are a few near unkillable enemies once in awhile to make you find another route

So far I'm really enjoying it. Difficulty feels fine if you think of it as an old CV game. Controls are pretty good too

I said "Bosses are the worst of all, about 80% of them don't move or just move in a set pattern with scripted invincibility for most of it". A great example would be the possessed tree. Stand in one place, invulnerable. Run scripted attack. Run another scripted attack. Run third scripted attack, become vulnerable for 3-5 seconds. Goto 10, repeat.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Stuff from a recent Famitsu interview

quote:

- game is roughly 20-30% complete
- Igarashi notes that he needs to increase the pace of development
- the reason Switch is being favored over Wii U is that the game is being developed with Unreal Engine and ported from PC
- the planned release in 2018 also lead to the decision of moving away from Wii U
- there are plans to exhibit Bloodstained at other events and could end up at E3 2017

Source: http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/160972089549 via NeoGAF

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Pureauthor posted:

Stuff from a recent Famitsu interview

Source: http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/160972089549 via NeoGAF

If it's 20-30 percent done and it's been 2 years in development, that should mean it will only take another 5-6 years.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

If it's 20-30 percent done and it's been 2 years in development, that should mean it will only take another 5-6 years.

That usually isn't how it works. It isn't like a loading bar. 20/30% usually means something like "We have basic structures done but that's it."

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Man 20%? I'm glad they're taking their time with it but that's definitely late 2018 there

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Didn't they recently hire more devs to help them with UE4?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

That usually isn't how it works. It isn't like a loading bar. 20/30% usually means something like "We have basic structures done but that's it."

Yeah I know, I just wish it was done already.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Still better than the MN9 kickstarter.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Tallgeese posted:

Huh. I can't figure out what the Georf's Alchemy does in that fangame.

It heals most(all, maybe?) status effects.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
On one hand, it would be nice to have Bloodstained soon. On the other, I'd rather they take their time and make a game filled with strange details and oddities.

As long as the game is good in the end I'm fine with waiting as long as it takes. SotN had an absurdly long dev cycle, which is one of the reasons it was such a glorious mess. No guarantees of lightning striking twice, but I'd rather wait in hope.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Evil Eagle posted:

It heals most(all, maybe?) status effects.

Yeah, I seem to have 100%ed the game except for the final boss. Fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Bloodstained will be worth the wait.

MN9 really brought back my skepticism, but that seemed like a cynical undertaking from the start. Iga is so genuine. https://youtu.be/KWrD0QMZc_s