Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

demonR6 posted:

...Since they are not allowed to have anything Mickey Mouse in there...

Was this a willful decision of their own to complete the immersion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It was probably a Disney decision.

But maybe James Cameron is as crazy as JK Rowling? You can't get Coke products inside the Wizarding World lands even though they probably existed in the Harry Potter universe. You CAN get iced tea and juice that is not Wizard themed but that was probably some compromise. Everything else is specially made for the park.

Allegedly Rowling's desire for control over HP theme park is one of the reasons Disney decided to let her go to Universal. They were in discussions about a HP park at WDW but she wanted everything to be perfectly realistic to her world and not to the needs of a functioning resort. One example I remember hearing about back in the day was that every guest to her park MUST arrive by Hogwarts Express. Of course it would be a capacity nightmare if everyone had to do that just to get in and imagine guests getting sick of it if they just wanted to go to their car for something they forgot?

Universal managed to talk her down from a lot of things but this is why the Islands of Adventure land is still so small. Like the wand shop only has one room which caused huge lines and the other stores and restaurant are "realistically" too small too. The London expansion was a little better since they could point to what happened with their first attempt and get her to agree to more capacity.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 21, 2017

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah but nothing rivals potterland still to this day, not even avatar. Pandora is cool and really well done thematically but you still have ice cream stands and gift shop kiosks.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Harry Potter world is beautiful and tops in art design but not great in theme park design. Hogsmeade is a straight line. Diagon Alley is a circle. It doesn't really feel like you're exploring, more like trying to figure out where to buy more stuff. That's what I'm looking forward to with Pandora and what I like about Animal Kingdom. You can just wander and explore the trails and look for new viewpoints and things.

Forbidden Journey was my favorite ride from my last trip though. So cool!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Edna Mode posted:

That's what I'm looking forward to with Pandora and what I like about Animal Kingdom. You can just wander and explore the trails and look for new viewpoints and things.

That's definitely the coolest part about Pandora. Every corner provides you a new view of the crazy landscape and the forethought they put into the landscape from all angles is insane. My only gripe is that the sun sets on the backside of the floating mountains from the entrance, meaning it creates harsh and ugly backlighting for photos instead of the golden glow that looks so good (another thing Diagon Alley nailed, the whole street funnels light perfectly). Hopefully I'll be able to get in there near sunrise sometime.

Some of my favorite MK spots

Disney_Wishes7 by David Childers, on Flickr

Disney_Wishes1 by David Childers, on Flickr

Disney_Wishes3 by David Childers, on Flickr

Disney_Wishes5 by David Childers, on Flickr

Disney_Wishes6 by David Childers, on Flickr

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The worst part about Pandora is that Fisney already claimed the best photo op spots with their photographers :colbert: lol

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

demonR6 posted:

Best part was we bought a Banshee at the store, I walked out and sold it in under five minutes to gawkers hanging around the area outside by Tiffins that could not get it. I realized this was going to be a thing because people walking out of the preview while we were in line earlier in the day were wearing them on their shoulder and other gawkers were asking questions how to get them etc. Saw the opportunity, capitalized and doubled my money then bought one for the wife as a collector item.

That is such a genius idea that I am mad I didn't have a chance to do it.

They don't interact with the area at all, right? Like you can manipulate them but they arent RFID chipped to react to things in the valley itself. Because they should have RFID chipped them so they can react to the other animals and plants in the area.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

demonR6 posted:

Finally getting around to posting pics of Pandora. Visually there is a lot to take in is how I sum it up. Also heard that they are going to limit entry into the area to keep it from being so overcrowded that the experience is not enjoyable.

Notice the non-Mickey hidden Mickey in the last photo. Since they are not allowed to have anything Mickey Mouse in there down to the shopping bags we found this to be amusing. It's not a hidden Mickey but damned well trying to be one.

http://imgur.com/a/gSbz9

Best part was we bought a Banshee at the store, I walked out and sold it in under five minutes to gawkers hanging around the area outside by Tiffins that could not get it. I realized this was going to be a thing because people walking out of the preview while we were in line earlier in the day were wearing them on their shoulder and other gawkers were asking questions how to get them etc. Saw the opportunity, capitalized and doubled my money then bought one for the wife as a collector item.

it is 100 percent intentional ( as are the subtle mickey heads made of planets on the Fastpass touch points for the rides)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

BlueBayou posted:

That is such a genius idea that I am mad I didn't have a chance to do it.

They don't interact with the area at all, right? Like you can manipulate them but they arent RFID chipped to react to things in the valley itself. Because they should have RFID chipped them so they can react to the other animals and plants in the area.

they are esseintally puppets. You control everything they do with a little hand control that can move their head, flap their wings, and open their mouth. I bought one (I am a big sucker for poo poo like that) and it's fun to play with, but won't interact (although they teach you to say "I see you" in Navi to everyone you see wearing one)

The light up staff they sell will interact with the bioluminescence once that stuff is live and active.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Empress Brosephine posted:

The worst part about Pandora is that Fisney already claimed the best photo op spots with their photographers :colbert: lol

Yesssss.

Sadly I think they're limiting Pandora to DAK photographers only otherwise I would pick up a night shift there immediately.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Nope, they have a cord that has cables that control the wings, head to make it turn and the mouth so it opens and screeches. Nevermind I was late to the party with the answer. :)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

How much are the banshees? Wonder what the ebay markup is like

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

The light up staff they sell will interact with the bioluminescence once that stuff is live and active.

I had heard the flip flops light up and will leave lit footprint briefly when walking around in Pandora. I need to see these in action.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

skipdogg posted:

How much are the banshees? Wonder what the ebay markup is like

Fifty bucks. My hope is they can't keep them in stock. They ran out of a couple of colors during preview.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Even in AP preview there was a half hour line just to buy one

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Considering the HP wands are $50, that's not an awful price.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
What do you guys think the crowds will be like in all the parks besides Animal Kingdom this weekend? We're doing HS on Friday night, Epcot on Saturday afternoon/evening, and all day at MK on Sunday.

I'm hoping dearly they're a little empty while everyone is at AK for Pandora.

Aside from shorts, short sleeve tops and hats, what else do you guys do to beat the heat? We bought this "Frogg Toggs" blanket thing that cools down super fast when wet. Anything else you suggest? Sunday is going to be brutal.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
From my point of view, they will be very very busy even with Pandora as most people will be still be going to the other parks who are buying a one day ticket. Also this is the last real weekend for the Florida Resident Discover ticket sooooo

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
3PM parade at Magic Kingdom moved to 2PM.. so don't ask what time the 3PM parade is anymore because they will tell you.. 2PM.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It's a holiday weekend. It will be busy.

Monday will be the best day if you don't have to leave.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Reinanigans posted:

What do you guys think the crowds will be like in all the parks besides Animal Kingdom this weekend? We're doing HS on Friday night, Epcot on Saturday afternoon/evening, and all day at MK on Sunday.

I'm hoping dearly they're a little empty while everyone is at AK for Pandora.

Aside from shorts, short sleeve tops and hats, what else do you guys do to beat the heat? We bought this "Frogg Toggs" blanket thing that cools down super fast when wet. Anything else you suggest? Sunday is going to be brutal.

HYDRATE. My god, hydrate. Drink so much water you think you'll drown, then drink more water.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Would I feel any cooler wearing something like gym/basketball shorts and shirts over plain cotton/polyester stuff?

I've lived in South Florida my whole life, but I think this is my first theme park trip in the summer.

Will the counter service restaurants give you ice if you ask?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah stay away from cotton. Quick services places will give you cups of ice water.

Just met baby Groot and Starlord at HS, it was awesome. Groot was very expressive and interactive. We're finally seeing Happily Ever After tonight too, hyyyyped.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah stay away from cotton. Quick services places will give you cups of ice water.

Just met baby Groot and Starlord at HS, it was awesome. Groot was very expressive and interactive. We're finally seeing Happily Ever After tonight too, hyyyyped.

Yes! I loved meeting Star-Lord and Baby Groot! I love that Groot is interactive and not just a little robot-y thing. I have a PhotoPass pic of me listening to Star-Lord telling me some kind of a story about Drax and it looks like I am just gazing at him. That was a bit embarrassing.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Have they stated how long Star Lord and Groot are going to be there until? I was super disappointed I was going to miss BB-8.

Countdown 4 weeks until Disney and I'm super stoked. I just hope my wilting, limey complexion can handle the apparent humid hellscape that is Florida.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Heard a rumor that single rider at Everest is out the door, can anyone confirm?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

couldcareless posted:

Heard a rumor that single rider at Everest is out the door, can anyone confirm?

They're a walls all up around it. Not sure they may expand it into more line space.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Well that would be a huge bummer

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We haven't got any word about it closing for good though for what that's worth

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Just saw Zoe Saldana getting on Space Mountain, that was pretty cool :stare:

Beats my only other celebrity sighting at Disney which sucked; Steve Harvey.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

They have the live broadcast crew setup in front of the castle and just announced there will be a special performance right after Happily Ever After but didn't say who or what. Wife has to work at 3 am but we want to see what it is, ahhh.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

My boss just got back from Magic Kingdom and he recorded all of Happily Ever After. Obviously it doesn't do it justice on a phone but holy poo poo the show is fantastic. I can't wait to see it live.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yep, just finished seeing it. Wife bawled and I teared up too. Hands down the best production Disney has done. The new fireworks, lighting, and projection technology is just insane. Go the Distance was an epic arrangement and the finale was gorgeous.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I was surprised they threw Hunchback in there. I love the song they used.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It reminds me of the Disneyland Paris show. Especially since they use so many French characters and the MK show starts with them too (Hunchback, Remy)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

In case any goons are spending the weekend at the parks, my fiancee and I are staying over the weekend at Port Orleans French Quarter for my birthday. Feel free to yell something incomprehensible about stairs if you see us!

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I always contemplate asking every male CM I see at Haunted Mansion about stairs but I figure it would just confuse most of them

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Happy birthday!!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Empress Brosephine posted:

Happy birthday!!

Thank you! Apparently she has something planned but hasn't revealed a thing. I do know she recently received a package from Caswell Massey, who makes my preferred cologne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

chitoryu12 posted:

In case any goons are spending the weekend at the parks, my fiancee and I are staying over the weekend at Port Orleans French Quarter for my birthday. Feel free to yell something incomprehensible about stairs if you see us!

Happy birthday! I had mine at French Quarter this year as well. It's a beautiful place. Our normal go to is Port Orleans Riverside but I really enjoyed changing it up. I'll probably be back at FQ next time.