Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

I've only ever played Disrupt in Mental Magic (where it's probably the best card), and I want to play that deck just so I can Disrupt someone and run out the rest of my clock doing various dances around the room

Disrupt over Ancestral. Huh, haven't played mMtG in ages but I can see that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

PJOmega posted:

Disrupt over Ancestral. Huh, haven't played mMtG in ages but I can see that.

The only thing better than getting a spell that costs U so you can Ancestral Recall is getting a spell that costs U so you can Divert your opponent's Ancestral.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

UK people know you have to wait for Frankie Boyle to take the piss out of something before it's fair game.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

AceClown posted:

UK people know you have to wait for Frankie Boyle to take the piss out of something before it's fair game.

Generally a good rule of thumb on either side of the pond.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/866820869540245505

Whatever career this Leavitt guy had is over, writing or otherwise, is over. No editor or platform with common sense will touch him, and I wouldn't be surprised if the backlash carried over to his actual day job or whatever he tries to do next. Admirable of him to try and tweet through it but it seems like the wave of anger hasn't peaked yet (at least on social media).

Maybe he can parley the notoriety into a spot doing commentary for Fox news or Breitbart.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
the only thing sadder than internet lynch mobs are people pretending that some below z-lister is notable just so they have an excuse to form an internet lynch mob

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

little munchkin posted:

the only thing sadder than internet lynch mobs are people pretending that some below z-lister is notable just so they have an excuse to form an internet lynch mob

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I blocked him a long time ago on Twitter because​ he crapped up every MTG hashtag promoting his stream.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Mahoning posted:

The only thing I'm seeing confirmed is that the explosions went bang bang into the room.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Hellsau posted:

The only thing better than getting a spell that costs U so you can Ancestral Recall is getting a spell that costs U so you can Divert your opponent's Ancestral.

Well I also play with a Legacy banned list :shobon:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

rabidsquid posted:

actually buttcrack guys crime, like many others, is that he wasn't actually funny so his joke just ended up being kind of lovely

What the gently caress.

Of all the bad opinions & ideas you have, Mr. Calciform Pools calling the third fourth funniest MTG guy behind this, this, and Trick Jarrett unfunny is, just, what?

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

DangerDongs posted:

Any one trying out Kefnet in Standard as a 1 of? Seems good in the mirror and horrible against aggro, but I'm usually wrong about these things.

It is excellent in the mirror and dogshit vs agro. You are correct.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

What the gently caress.

Of all the bad opinions & ideas you have, Mr. Calciform Pools calling the third fourth funniest MTG guy behind this, this, and Trick Jarrett unfunny is, just, what?

He's right.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
GP buttcrack guy was hilarious

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Gentlemen, I may have taken things a bit too far in the administration of this savage beating...

Cracker Baron
Dec 23, 2003

Laopooh posted:

Gentlemen, I may have taken things a bit too far in the administration of this savage beating...

This guys ancestors will tell tales of the savage beating that he received at your hands.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

80s James Hetfield posted:

GP buttcrack guy was right.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rogue0071 posted:

The tweet in question.

That reply / like ratio. :gowron:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So who else has counters company put together? I thought I was missing a bunch of pieces but nope, have every piece of the 75 no matter the list I have seen. It helped that I got a playset of druids for 2$.

I mostly sleeved it up because I want to play test against it. Anybody had any serious reps in?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Sickening posted:

So who else has counters company put together? I thought I was missing a bunch of pieces but nope, have every piece of the 75 no matter the list I have seen. It helped that I got a playset of druids for 2$.

I mostly sleeved it up because I want to play test against it. Anybody had any serious reps in?

Yeah; I've been hugely active on MTGO since the release of Amonkhet. It's super good but has weak spots too. It's really not so great against UR/x decks in my test

But the deck is good. Hit me up if you want to chat about it.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Walked posted:

Yeah; I've been hugely active on MTGO since the release of Amonkhet. It's super good but has weak spots too. It's really not so great against UR/x decks in my test

But the deck is good. Hit me up if you want to chat about it.

I have a lot of the cards but I'm never buying Noble's, would avacyn's pilgrim work in that spot or would something else be better?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TwistedNails posted:

I have a lot of the cards but I'm never buying Noble's, would avacyn's pilgrim work in that spot or would something else be better?

Birds of Paradise comes closest to being a budget replacement option, but Exalted ends up mattering way more often than you'd think.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

TwistedNails posted:

To be honest; yeah. It'd be fine. Exalted is nice; but not generally making the difference in all but the GRINDIEST of games. If we were playing a more midrange gameplan it'd be different, but we're aiming to combo so Exalted means less than average.

Your curve in a goldfish scenario is:
T2 Druid
T3 Vizier ---> Chord or CoCo / Other Mana sink

The only piece that Noble is helpful for is a T2-3 Chord or Company, and any mana dork will do that decently enough.

Noble is preferred, but minor all said.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Walked posted:

To be honest; yeah. It'd be fine. Exalted is nice; but not generally making the difference in all but the GRINDIEST of games. If we were playing a more midrange gameplan it'd be different, but we're aiming to combo so Exalted means less than average.

T2 Druid

The only piece that Noble is helpful for is a T2-3 Chord or Company, and any mana dork will do that decently enough.

I have barely played the deck but I feel you are underestimating exalted by a lot. The deck is a value midrange deck with several combo synergies. Exalted means the difference between winning and losing often. This goes for almost any deck that has played noble.

It stacks with multiples.
Its not affected by summoning sickness.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 24, 2017

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Sickening posted:

I have barely played the deck but I feel you are underestimating exalted by a lot. The deck is a value midrange deck with several combo synergies. Exalted means the difference between winning and losing often. This goes for almost any deck that has played noble.

I've played it a LOT in comp leagues. When we aren't combo mode we are generally go wide with Gavony Township. It's exceedingly rare were beating down with one dude.

When the combo doesn't come together it's normally renegade rallier and or finks doing beatdown while going wide.

I run Heirarch, mind you, but I wouldn't let not having him stop you from running the deck. It's the best dork for sure, but he asked how viable the deck is without, and it is.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Entropic posted:

Birds of Paradise comes closest to being a budget replacement option, but Exalted ends up mattering way more often than you'd think.

I was planning on running 4 birds already because it makes black mana which this deck needs, I figured the 2 nobles were for the mana more than the trigger.

Walked posted:

T2 Druid

Thank you! This deck looks like a lot of fun, I currently play the GW CoCo/Chord elf deck and I really enjoy combo.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Just go with the avacyn's pilgrim for now, it's only going to make a difference in a really small percentage of games. If you build the deck and love it (prepare for this possibility) you can always get the nobles later.

My strategy has been to spend most of my sideboard/flex slots on the interactive matchups (four tireless tracker in the 75, some voices of resurgence in the board, etc) and try to goldfish faster than the other goldfish decks. The one thing I'm pretty sure we can never beat is lantern control.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

uninverted posted:

Just go with the avacyn's pilgrim for now, it's only going to make a difference in a really small percentage of games. If you build the deck and love it (prepare for this possibility) you can always get the nobles later.

My strategy has been to spend most of my sideboard/flex slots on the interactive matchups (four tireless tracker in the 75, some voices of resurgence in the board, etc) and try to goldfish faster than the other goldfish decks. The one thing I'm pretty sure we can never beat is lantern control.

I just got home from modern, 3-1 losing to affinity and beating ad nauseum, esper control, and lantern. You need a decent opener but lantern is plenty beatable now with the new combo and ballista. I boarded in a kataki, pridemage, decay, anguished unmaking, and phyrexian revoker. Kataki won game 3 for me.

Sideboards are super flexible but 4 trackers along with voices seems way to ready for grindy matches you're already ok against and would be cutting into silver bullets and removal. I'm actually down to 1 tracker side and no voices and liking it.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
What about a couple Tidehollow Scullers in the side?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Why does Disrupting Shoal have to suck so much?

:sigh:

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

myDad posted:

What about a couple Tidehollow Scullers in the side?

Some mix of scullers and/or sin collector is expected. I'm on 2 collector because there were a lot of k-commands around here for a while and that feels terrible.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DoctorOozy posted:

It is excellent in the mirror and dogshit vs agro. You are correct.

I'm looking at the Temur Tower list that are popping up, and they run 2 Pull From Tomorrow. I'm wondering if a split between Kefnet and that would be any good.

I am also really curious how these guys are sideboarding all these Advocates / longtusk cubs / Tireless trackers in; just when black has the threats of Dispossess and transgresses you side out the gearhulks and bring in the weenies? The biggest puzzle is that there are 7-8 creatures like this in their board, but only 4-6 artifacts total in some main boards.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
What is this nonsense

I guess no one wanted to be in green

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

DangerDongs posted:

I'm looking at the Temur Tower list that are popping up, and they run 2 Pull From Tomorrow. I'm wondering if a split between Kefnet and that would be any good.

I don't run Temur I am straight UR. Tower is too slow now and pinging a recurring zombie once a turn isn't winning anything for you. When you are off tower it's pointless running green.

I only have one Pull due to the tension with Gearhulk, if the game goes super long I'm gonna shuffle it back in using Memory on their end step anyway.

I could see a Temur control deck with a transformative SB into the Temur agro deck working... or God forbid.. an aether works deck.

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
When one burns one's bridges, what a wonderful fire it makes
Hey guys, I have what is possibly a stupid question but, a friend of mine got the Lilianna planeswalker deck and she used Grasping Lands tap affect to give me a -1/-1 counter to an Expedition Envoy. Does it go to the grave yard since it goes from 2/1 to 1/0?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Blizzy_Cow posted:

Hey guys, I have what is possibly a stupid question but, a friend of mine got the Lilianna planeswalker deck and she used Grasping Lands tap affect to give me a -1/-1 counter to an Expedition Envoy. Does it go to the grave yard since it goes from 2/1 to 1/0?

Yes.

Long answer: Yes. Creatures with 0 toughness get put into the graveyard when state-based effects are checked, which is whenever a player would gain priority. So basically immediately after the Grasping Dunes ability resolves and puts a -1/-1 counter, your 1/0 dies.

e: Frank Karsten has brought us an important theoretical article: What happens if you put every creature into play at once?

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 24, 2017

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Blizzy_Cow posted:

Yes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Hellsau posted:

e: Frank Karsten has brought us an important theoretical article: What happens if you put every creature into play at once?

My mind immediately went to Phage. These are always entertaining.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

#1 in trophies for the Combo Winter Gauntlet. The League is closed and I'm two ahead of second place, though I'm pretty sure wotc_bill got three trophies in two hours so dunno how close he was to getting there if downtime wasn't coming. Final record was 75-30

I made a grand total of 120 play points, though I guess that includes me just rage dropping after getting the loving LD deck four times in a row, and doesn't include possible compensation for Memory Jar being bugged and causing me to lose two games that were otherwise guaranteed wins. If you're not winning an absurd amount, these phantom events seem like a huge money sink. :10bux: to enter with a 17.5% rake is pretty brutal. Oh well it was fun playing decks from when I first started playing and also I'm great.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

So who's going to Hascon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Siivola posted:

So who's going to Hascon?

Only $600 for the tickets, but I guess you get three promos and two drafts. That's a great deal!