Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
All those are better than the butterfly mini-game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012
I think FFX is the mainline Final Fantasy with the strongest discrepancy between the tight pacing of its main story and the bullshit factor of its side content. (It doesn't help that most of the side content is dumped on you all at once right at the climax of the game.)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Tae posted:

All those are better than the butterfly mini-game

I cheated like hell with save states to finish chocobo racing and lightning dodging, but the drat butterflies are what stopped me from finishing the game.

Need to grab the remake one of these days.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Luckily no one uses Kimahri and there aren't any trophies/achievements tied to the butterfly minigame

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Fortunately the best characters in the game are the ones with the easiest to acquire celestial weapons (Auron, Yuna, Rikku).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Fortunately the best characters in the game are the ones with the easiest to acquire celestial weapons (Auron, Yuna, Rikku).

do you mean like combat wise or personality wise because auron is only barely above kimahri

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The White Dragon posted:

do you mean like combat wise or personality wise because auron is only barely above kimahri

Fashion sense

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

style counts

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Auron is a drunk old man who travels between worlds and bosses an awkward teenager around. He's the Rick Sanchez of Spira.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Auron is a drunk old man who travels between worlds and bosses an awkward teenager around. He's the Rick Sanchez of Spira.

Jesus, way to make me long for the FFX I can never have.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

This was the first post I saw clicking on this thread today and I thought I was in GBS.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The White Dragon posted:

Kimahri small ronso

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kimahri probably isn't even real. Why else would have the same voice as Wakka but simultaneously have so little role in the story?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I like Kimahri

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Now that we have more detail on how the FFXII remaster's dual-job system works I actually don't think it's going to affect the game's difficulty all that much. It gives each character a wider range of abilities but doesn't actually increase anyone's power. And the type of armor you wear matters a whole lot--sure, you could make a Knight/Black Mage or something, but you're either going to have to wear heavy armor and have lovely Magick or wear mystic armor and have lovely Strength.

The one thing is that some jobs just don't need a sub-job at all and/or can't really take advantage of many sub-job's abilities, so you might as well just pick a sub-job that gives you useful equipment options. For example, all of the light armor classes: with the exception of Machinist, they use Strength for their attacks and are pretty self-sufficient as far as what licenses they have, so you might as well sub Knight or, better, Time Battlemage on them so they can wear heavy armor and have a Strength bonus. And unless they rebalanced guns, Machinist probably isn't going to be a standout job no matter what sub-job you give it except in Weak Mode. Now that you can sub Time Battlemage on anything, its ability to learn Hastega is worth even less.

Not like it was ever a particularly hard game to begin with, of course, but the fact that you can't double up on Battle and Magick Lores, and that the type of armor you wear is still really important to what you're good at, will probably help prevent sub-jobs from breaking the game in half all on their own.

That said, it's going to be harder to come up with reasons to use more than three characters for the whole game once everybody joins. In IZJS on the PS2, spreading out abilities encouraged me, at least, to use all six characters and rotate them around. Now I can pretty easily craft a party of three with every ability I can dream of. I'll probably still rotate the characters because I want to use all of them, but that's just me. Eh, that's probably a good thing, I guess. I know some people would find it tedious to need to keep all six characters leveled up and equipped.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

What exactly makes two jobs more powerful than vanilla which basically let you use everything

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Tae posted:

What exactly makes two jobs more powerful than vanilla which basically let you use everything

Yeah, that's a thing I didn't get seeing all the posts before about how "letting you use TWO classes will be way too broken and overpowered!" when vanilla let you use Everything All The Time Forever. The real things that affect the difficulty was all already in IZJS anyway, like adjusted damage caps, gimmicky modes that remove EXP, changing when and where you get equipment etc. etc.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tae posted:

It doesn't. I'm just comparing it to IZJS specifically.

That said, my point is that it also doesn't really make you any more powerful. IZJS already let you make a really self-sufficient and strong party of three, especially if you were willing to farm Hastega Motes in the late game. This just makes it easier to do that, which is fine, and also makes Time Mage not suck to use, which is even better. The only reason it might have is if you got all the Battle and Magick Lores from each job, which would give you a huge boost in stats early on, but since you can't do that, there's no real jump in power at all.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Where's the new info about the dual-classing? No luck with Google.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

IZJS has custom boards so while you couldnt be as versatile as vanilla 12, you were much better at the specific things the class did of an equivalent vanilla character which is why the game was still easy and beatable.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Barudak posted:

IZJS has custom boards so while you couldnt be as versatile as vanilla 12, you were much better at the specific things the class did of an equivalent vanilla character which is why the game was still easy and beatable.

I think he's askinf specifically about dual-classing, not the difference between vanilla and IZJS. I'm curious as well.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Your google-fu is weak

http://www.rpgsite.net/news/5513-final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age-screenshots

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Mostly in videos--just look for any FFXII Zodiac Age video released within the last week or two.

The dual jobs work like this:
  • Eventually, you unlock the ability to have a second license board for each character. You then pick it the same way as your first license board.
  • You have access to the entire thing--it's not a limited "sub-job" version or anything. You're just both jobs at the same time.
  • Any licenses you've already unlocked on one job are pre-unlocked on the other. This is the main one, because it means that if you've gotten Battle, Magick, or Item Lores, or things like HP boost licenses, from one job, you can't get them again from another job and double-dip on the stat boosting. It also means that it's not going to take as much LP to unlock things on your secondary job, especially if your jobs share an armor type, because you only need to get each license once.
  • This part might be wrong, but from what I've seen, Espers and Quickenings work the same as any other licenses. If you give a character an Esper license on one of their jobs, that license is unlocked on their other one, too, but each Esper can still only go to one character. To give an example: let's say Ashe is a Black Mage/Foebreaker (incidentally, what I plan to do with her). She gets the Esper Zalera. This unlocks the Steal and Poach licenses for the Black Mage; it also unlocks the Traveler license for the Foebreaker. (Side note: Esper unlocks are going to be much less important in this version because you can just use your sub-job to get a lot of those abilities, so it'll be less "plan who gets which Esper and make sure everyone unlocks all the licenses they need" and more "give Espers to whoever you think it's coolest to give them to.")
Oh, and the spell queue is confirmed gone, so there's nothing standing in the way of machinegunning Black Magick all over the place :black101:

That's old information and doesn't include the new "how it actually works" stuff we've found out pretty recently.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 23, 2017

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Harrow posted:

Now that we have more detail on how the FFXII remaster's dual-job system works I actually don't think it's going to affect the game's difficulty all that much. It gives each character a wider range of abilities but doesn't actually increase anyone's power. And the type of armor you wear matters a whole lot--sure, you could make a Knight/Black Mage or something, but you're either going to have to wear heavy armor and have lovely Magick or wear mystic armor and have lovely Strength.

Eh, pretty sure the mid-late game balance is going to be completely hosed. Everyone with 3/3 Swiftness, heavy armor for light armor jobs, elemental boosting armor combined with elemental weapons (Yagyu Darkblade, Excalibur). Individually each isn't a big deal but everything at once is a serious increase in output. I've done the equivalent of two-jobbing IZJS via savegame editing and, other than certain bosses with palings, everything was a pushover.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I will fight you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Corvinus posted:

Eh, pretty sure the mid-late game balance is going to be completely hosed. Everyone with 3/3 Swiftness, heavy armor for light armor jobs, elemental boosting armor combined with elemental weapons (Yagyu Darkblade, Excalibur). Individually each isn't a big deal but everything at once is a serious increase in output. I've done the equivalent of two-jobbing IZJS via savegame editing and, other than certain bosses with palings, everything was a pushover.

Aha, I forgot about the two Potency armors. Shikari and Knight subbed with a mystic armor job can probably do terrible things with Yagyu Darkblade + Black Robe and Excalibur + White Robe.

poo poo, now that I know that my whole "make Balthier a Shikari/Time Battlemage" idea doesn't seem so smart. I liked the idea of a fast, versatile melee fighter who can cast Haste/Hastega (and with access to heavy armor) but the late-game holy poo poo power of a +50% damage Yagyu Darkblade is tough to pass up. Still, that'd only really come in at the tail end of the game, and having heavy armor throughout is probably better in general.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
There's also Dark Shot + Black Robes, which keeps a Machinist competitive and does horrible things to Yiazmat. Burning Bow + Ardor + oil is something I didn't try but probably shits on everything not resistant/immune to fire.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Harrow posted:

Mostly in videos--just look for any FFXII Zodiac Age video released within the last week or two.

The dual jobs work like this:
  • Eventually, you unlock the ability to have a second license board for each character. You then pick it the same way as your first license board.
  • You have access to the entire thing--it's not a limited "sub-job" version or anything. You're just both jobs at the same time.
  • Any licenses you've already unlocked on one job are pre-unlocked on the other. This is the main one, because it means that if you've gotten Battle, Magick, or Item Lores, or things like HP boost licenses, from one job, you can't get them again from another job and double-dip on the stat boosting. It also means that it's not going to take as much LP to unlock things on your secondary job, especially if your jobs share an armor type, because you only need to get each license once.
  • This part might be wrong, but from what I've seen, Espers and Quickenings work the same as any other licenses. If you give a character an Esper license on one of their jobs, that license is unlocked on their other one, too, but each Esper can still only go to one character. To give an example: let's say Ashe is a Black Mage/Foebreaker (incidentally, what I plan to do with her). She gets the Esper Zalera. This unlocks the Steal and Poach licenses for the Black Mage; it also unlocks the Traveler license for the Foebreaker. (Side note: Esper unlocks are going to be much less important in this version because you can just use your sub-job to get a lot of those abilities, so it'll be less "plan who gets which Esper and make sure everyone unlocks all the licenses they need" and more "give Espers to whoever you think it's coolest to give them to.")
Oh, and the spell queue is confirmed gone, so there's nothing standing in the way of machinegunning Black Magick all over the place :black101:

That's old information and doesn't include the new "how it actually works" stuff we've found out pretty recently.

So what are the best job combos for each character?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Corvinus posted:

There's also Dark Shot + Black Robes, which keeps a Machinist competitive and does horrible things to Yiazmat. Burning Bow + Ardor + oil is something I didn't try but probably shits on everything not resistant/immune to fire.

What would Burning Bow give to Ardor (or vice-versa)? I was just thinking Flame Staff + Ardor + oil. Burning Bow just adds a fire effect, right? Not Potency?

fridge corn posted:

Character doesn't really matter. They do have stat differences but the stats you'll get from armor and licenses make up for any shortcomings in the long run. I guess it's worth noting that Balthier and Fran have the slowest animations with ranged weapons of anyone, so they're weirdly the worst at their own "iconic" jobs, but even then, animation differences are pretty minor and not at all a huge deal. Other characters have faster/slower animations with certain weapon types and you can easily find debates online about how much that matters, but the difference in DPS is small enough that it is absolutely not worth planning your party around.

I'm not really sure what good job combos are in general, though. My plan right now is just to combine things for versatility and cool factor, rather than crazy endgame effectiveness. Though Corvinus is pointing out some great possible endgame combinations to just melt things.

For example, Black Mage/Red Battlemage (or vice-versa) seems like a redundant combination, but it's the only way to equip the Flame Staff and cast Ardor. Ardor is an extremely powerful Red Battlemage-only spell that does fire damage and the Flame Staff (a Black Mage-only weapon) boosts all fire damage you do by 50%. Then there's the Oil status effect, which boosts fire damage the target takes. Anything that doesn't resist fire is going to melt--it's easily the most damage you can do with a single spell, maybe barring Reflect shenanigans.

Or give a Knight or Shikari a sub-job that lets them use mystic armor. When they get their elemental weapons (Excalibur for the Knight, Yagyu Darkblade for the Shikari), have them wear the robe that boosts that kind of damage for +50% damage on all their already-crazy-strong physical attacks.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm not sure what the deal was with Kihmari. I couldn't tell if the developers either forgot to expand his board, or intended to make him more of a wild card character that you choose what kind of fighter you wanted him to be, albeit he'd always be behind the main character. Either way he's probably one of the worst characters in any FF game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

IIRC they made some changes to Khimari's sphere grid placement in the international version so that he had better access to other character spheres. Also some of the harder bosses and monster arena encounters are subject to various Lancet gimmicks. Still not as useless as Amarant.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My own plans for Zodiac Age jobs include splitting the party of six into two self-sufficient teams that I can swap between however I want to. I'll probably have someone sub Time Battlemage on each just for easy Haste/Hastega access, probably on a job that doesn't benefit a whole lot from any particular sub-job.

I was originally going to make Ashe a Black Mage/Foebreaker because the break techs don't rely on stats and I figured it'd make a decent combo with Black Mage. But I also plan to have an Archer and a Monk, which covers all four breaks, and having her go Black Mage/Red Battlemage means I can do Flame Rod + Oil + Ardor and that sounds way more fun. And I wasn't going to use a Knight at all, but White Robe + Excalibur also sounds like a lot of fun.

I think I was going to have Basch maybe be a Bushi (Samurai)/White Mage--use that high Bushi magick stat to heal when he isn't carving things up. Plus, the whole samurai devotion to a lord thing fits Basch pretty well. But Knight/White Mage might be fun for White Robe + Excalibur in the endgame, though the lower magick score and MP might make it tougher for him to contribute as an actual healer before then. I can make up for that by having him basically always wear one piece of mystic armor maybe--he has high enough natural Strength that he can take the hit--although the White Mage's Magick Lores and the Inquisitor license will definitely help, too.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 23, 2017

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Harrow posted:

What would Burning Bow give to Ardor (or vice-versa)? I was just thinking Flame Staff + Ardor + oil. Burning Bow just adds a fire effect, right? Not Potency?

IZJS puts the Fire element on the arrows, and the bow itself gets fire potency.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Corvinus posted:

IZJS puts the Fire element on the arrows, and the bow itself gets fire potency.

Aha, got it. So basically the same as Flame Rod only your auto-attacks can also take advantage of the Potency and Oil.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

IIRC they made some changes to Khimari's sphere grid placement in the international version so that he had better access to other character spheres. Also some of the harder bosses and monster arena encounters are subject to various Lancet gimmicks. Still not as useless as Amarant.

but I actually used Amarant sometimes when I didn't have to

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

This game will be a breeze, but I've still been planning the hell out of my first run of Zodiac Age. I realized that License Boards "share" unlocked nodes so you can't take White Mage and Black Mage and get 20+ Magic Lores. On the other hand, this can lead to some interesting tricks where you access Esper/Quickening-locked licenses without expending such. For example you might only get 2 Swiftness licenses (30, 50) on Uhlan, but if you took a Monk as a subclass, you have access to the third Swiftness license (80) behind the Ultima Esper without having to use it for that character.

You can also factor in initial abilities. Every character starts with a few starting abilities that are already learned despite which Job they take. Vaan, Balthier, and Fran all start with Steal so if they take Black Mage they have access to Poach without having to use Zalera.

fridge corn posted:

Apparently Zodiac Age is going to be "rebalanced" from IZJS. I don't know for sure but I wonder if character stats are going to be changed. Like Harrow said it doesn't make that much of difference in the end but it's information I'd like to know.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The best thing they could do is get rid of the 99 stat cap, because that results in a lot weird things like Basch being a bad knight because he ends up with a lot of wasted strength.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

The best thing they could do is get rid of the 99 stat cap, because that results in a lot weird things like Basch being a bad knight because he ends up with a lot of wasted strength.

I wouldn't think that would make him "bad," just "maxed out before everyone else," which is kind of a good thing.

I mean, a lot of game happens before you hit the stat cap, so if a character's better than everyone else until that point and then just "as good, but all those Battle Lores are going to waste" after, doesn't that mean the character is great at that job?

One of my favorite little quirks is how animation speed factors into whether Basch or Ashe is the best Samurai. Looking at stats, you'd think that Ashe must be the best Samurai: she can hit 99 Strength and Magick before anyone else and without having to give up on wearing the Genji equipment. But her combo swings are also slower than Basch's--enough so that, even without 99 Strength and Magick, Basch can outdamage her. The difference isn't that big and certainly not big enough to plan your party around, but I like the way it spits in the face of the conventional "make Ashe a Samurai" advice. And just like with Basch hitting the Strength cap before anyone else, it's also something that just doesn't really matter until endgame--Ashe is probably going to do more damage with katanas than Basch for most of the game, because you're not going to consistently combo until endgame and postgame.

I may have spent too much time reading "which character is the best at each job" things a couple years ago.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bad in comparison, because a character who doesn't overcap so hard would be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I guess I'm just not understanding why. Just because a character like Ashe or Penelo can also eventually hit the Strength cap but also have higher Magick and get more out of the Knight's healing spells, or what?