Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Italian dubs only

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es6UdnZRML8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

i liked the FLCL dub
it was good

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/fandompost/status/866648204804317184
June 30 maybe i will finally watch LWA

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Sentai is going all out for Chihayafuru holy crap. Hope the subs are good.

https://twitter.com/WTK/status/866731874802118657

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

It's only the first half, there's no release date for the second half, because Netflix are loving idiots.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's only the first half, there's no release date for the second half, because Netflix are loving idiots.

Gah!

Wow, holy poo poo that Chihayafuru set though! :swoon:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Netflix doesn't give a poo poo because they're not going for the anime fans, they're going for the mainstream audience.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I was confused about the two sets of disks in the Chihayafuru box set but it looks like that's one blu-ray and one DVD. $130 for season one...

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

an actual dog posted:

I was confused about the two sets of disks in the Chihayafuru box set but it looks like that's one blu-ray and one DVD. $130 for season one...

There's a normal, non deluxe version for less.
https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/products/chihayafuru-complete-collection

I'm going for the deluxe because i have poor impulse control.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

a kitten posted:

I'm going for the deluxe because i have poor impulse control.

When you submit your credit card info for the Chihayafuru Premium Box Set this music plays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24GoHwX5uQg

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'm not sure, but I don't think that's how humans work

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
obviously he ate the gomugomu fruit.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
An interesting thing about subs vs dubs is how there are in fact different cultures of English speakers that could be drawn on to try to better convey the meaning behind honorifics that don't to me get used. Like in Canada we use "sir" as a pretty general term of polite endearment and I think it could be effectively slot in in many instances.

It made me pretty happy actually because I tweeted this to the scanlator for MHA when he remarked in an earlier issue that he wasn't sure what to do and agreed with me that it could've worked. :shobon:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

All de gozarus should be translated as m'lady.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Don't misquote

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Namtab posted:

Do[...]misquote

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Just a note for anyone who's in the UK and might be interested: A Silent Voice is now out on Google Play (£7.99 SD/£9.99 HD). It's available to rent, so if anybody's got one of the 99p rental offers they give out now and then and wants something to use it on, it's worth considering! I got one today, so that was pretty nice, seeing as I never got to see the film when it was running in cinemas here.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

more more biyori

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yes, please, and thank you.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Yes, please, and thank you.

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
Steins;Gate is actually the best dub.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Davincie posted:

more more biyori

gently caress yeah! :peanut:

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Looking forward to more bored.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
yeah, the wait's gonna suck. buy a fidget spinner

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Me, watching FAGirls

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I watch stuff other than anime subbed, because I'd rather watch the original performance regardless of whether I can actually understand any of it. The comparison to me is more like, if I don't speak Japanese what would I be getting out of watching an anime with the original language track *without* subs, which would be very little!

The act of watching something subtitled is very different than watching without, you have to pay closer attention for one thing but also I don't just stay glued to the sub portion of the screen, I just take the info in at a glance and it's not that distracting from the show. Sometimes I watch shows in English with captions on because I miss things, especially if it's in an accent (or the sound levels are bad), and it's very much like watching a sub except I don't have to take it on faith that the captions are accurate.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

I watch stuff other than anime subbed, because I'd rather watch the original performance regardless of whether I can actually understand any of it.

I realise I'm veering away a bit from what you were trying to say with the rest of your post, but just speaking of comparing live action to animation in terms of subs vs dubs, I think it isn't really fair (and something I see people doing now and then when trying to complain about dubs). In live action stuff, I've never seen anything be dubbed over from the original language particularly well, and it's nearly impossible to match the lip movement besides, which makes it all look very unnatural. In animation, and 2D animation in particular, it's far easier for them to match the lip movement and make it look like the character is actually saying these things. I sometimes see arguments like "Well, I'd never watch English movies dubbed over in German/Italian/Spanish/[Native Language], so why would I do the same with anime?" and I just feel it's one that doesn't really work.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
But aren't a lot of the issues people have with dubs due to editing scripts to fit to lip-flaps better or awkward phrasing on the part of voice actors who are trying to follow mouth animations that don't match what they have to say? I don't think it's entirely fair to discount the connection between the original voice over and the animation and dismiss it entirely as apples and oranges compared to live action performance even though it's true there is a huge difference between them.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

But aren't a lot of the issues people have with dubs due to editing scripts to fit to lip-flaps better or awkward phrasing on the part of voice actors who are trying to follow mouth animations that don't match what they have to say? I don't think it's entirely fair to discount the connection between the original voice over and the animation and dismiss it entirely as apples and oranges compared to live action performance even though it's true there is a huge difference between them.

It honestly seems to be a lot more with awkward translations that over-localize far too often and there always seeming to be at least one god awful VA in every show. I'm pretty sure lip flaps in anime can generally be worked around pretty easily, see: any of the abridged series.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I'm pretty sure plenty of live action stuff gets dubbed actually, just not for the American market.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

AnoHito posted:

It honestly seems to be a lot more with awkward translations that over-localize far too often and there always seeming to be at least one god awful VA in every show. I'm pretty sure lip flaps in anime can generally be worked around pretty easily, see: any of the abridged series.

those aren't a fair thing to bring up for this, dbza at least edits the hell out of the video to make it fit

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

those aren't a fair thing to bring up for this, dbza at least edits the hell out of the video to make it fit

Okay dbza does't count because I'm pretty sure their editor is actually insane. Yugioh Abridged, however, didn't even really edit the video at all until like 20 episodes in, and the standard response was barely even noticing he changed anything.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Oh, I'm not really discounting that connection, and I have nothing against anyone saying they'd rather see the original performance and all. What I was going on about was a bit tangential to what you were talking about, I'll admit. It's just that I see now and then people bringing up how live action dubs are often terrible and just don't feel right at all, and using this as an excuse to say that anime dubs are therefore also bad, when in fact what I feel to be the main problem in making live action dubs not work and feel unnatural (mismatched lip movement) is something a good anime dub can easily completely negate.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Guys you don't do mismatching lip flaps because you don't want your product to come across like those old dubbed Kung-fu movies. And no, you can't realistically expect for clips to be cut and changed to match lip flaps.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

subs hide the bad better

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

kater posted:

subs hide the bad better

we need subs for your posts

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Blhue posted:

we need subs for your posts

サブミットは悪い方を良く隠す

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

OneDeadman posted:

サブミットは悪い方を良く隠す

How the heck did a machine translation get submit out of subs.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Lip flap, lip flap,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've really enjoyed the gradual development of Gourai's personality

• Locked thread