Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I'm dumb and thus decided to try out the Lorehammer mod again. So, the main reason for bullshit is the increased reinforcement range for all lords. That means even the starting Scessionist Grunburg army is within range of Grunburg to assist. Also, may be a mod conflict, but the garrisons even completely unsettled are absurd.

Helmgart, ignoring the garrisoned army, has 2 General of the Empires (One is a Cav), 4 Swordsmen, 2 Halberdiers, 4 Spearmen with Shields, 1 Spearman, 5 Crossbowmen, 1 Outrider.

So a 19 unit Garrison for.... a level 2 Town with a Training Field.

I haven't even consolidated my first province and I already need to build a second army and stack it to even have a chance if I'm trying to get through a garrisoned force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Once Warhams 2 gets here I'm just going to be even more hype for the Tomb Kings DLC.

Settra and Khalida for LLs or riot.

If they sideline Khalida for the way less interesting and cool Khatep I will flip my poo poo :colbert:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Captain Oblivious posted:

If they sideline Khalida for the way less interesting and cool Khatep I will flip my poo poo :colbert:

Prince Apophas or bust.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Prince Apophas or bust.

I want Apophas as an agent. If people complain about assassins now, imagine the tears regarding a Legendary Hero assassin.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
It is now Turn 32 and I'm only now starting to consolidate Reikland. That might be a good thing, except I wasn't DOING anything for most of those turns besides building a pair of Doomstacks

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Hunt11 posted:

Also any advice on how to deal with Kiev diplomatically? I am trying to build up to a military alliance but even with a positive modifier in the 30s they still wont even consent to a non-aggression pact.

Curious about this too. I usually try and start gifting them money every turn (when I can afford it) in anticipation of the Chaos invasion but it still takes forever to get them to even agree to non-aggression and it's honestly tedious remembering to gift every turn. They usually end up in a bunch of dumb wars and manage to maybe grab a few more towns before slowly losing them all.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Curious about this too. I usually try and start gifting them money every turn (when I can afford it) in anticipation of the Chaos invasion but it still takes forever to get them to even agree to non-aggression and it's honestly tedious remembering to gift every turn. They usually end up in a bunch of dumb wars and manage to maybe grab a few more towns before slowly losing them all.

Five or so turns later they wanted to be my best friends in the space of one turn. What was worse about it all was that I had already had to save them from Northland or whatever who viewed attacking them as more important then the neverending stacks of viking raiders attacking their shores.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

Settra is a given, because he will literally be screaming "SETTRA DOES NOT SERVE" the entire time and refusing to take your orders. Khalida is definitely the most interesting of the rest, at least to me, and I definitely don't seem them doing Arkhan in this context.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
'settra does not serve' is one of the few good things to come from the end times.

the other good things are the slayer dwarf army and the sky pirate dwarf army.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

'settra does not serve' is one of the few good things to come from the end times.

You can't possibly be complimentary about fuckin' Fyreslayers.

Slayer armies were done properly in Storm of Chaos. :colbert:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
yeah but no one in their right mind would actually play against them, so this is what i've had to settle for!!!!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So about when should you expect Archon to attack on a normal difficulty campaign?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Any time between turn 120 and 150 in my experience. That's on Hard but seems to hold true as a general rule if you're expanding normally.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

The Dark Elf king being legit and the undead as defenders of the living were cool ideas. Too bad about the godawful writing. Also I think Gelt became a vampire, that's cool. With all the dudes falling to chaos in the setting you'd think more people with power would actively seek vampirism.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Hunt11 posted:

So about when should you expect Archon to attack on a normal difficulty campaign?

Depends on how fast you expand. Personally I always trigger the Chaos invasion early.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Fangz posted:

Depends on how fast you expand. Personally I always trigger the Chaos invasion early.

You can intentionally trigger it? How? Like is it x amount of provinces by turn y?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Away all Goats posted:

You can intentionally trigger it? How? Like is it x amount of provinces by turn y?

Yeah it also progresses if you hit a certain number of provinces. I think maybe 7?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I guess the rest of the empire/kiev were able to do something right then as despite the chaos hoards rampaging in the north almost unimposed they were able to actually kill Archon.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Fangz posted:

Yeah it also progresses if you hit a certain number of provinces. I think maybe 7?

It is regions actually, I believe the number is 15 or so that triggers the Chaos Invasion. It is why it usually happens pretty soon in Dwarf/Greenskin games, since there are some large provinces in the Badlands. I don't recall the number to trigger the invasion with the Legendary Lords itself, but I believe it is around 25.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

power ranking means a lot. I think there are some hardcoded personalities too i.e. Grim will never agree to an alliance if he has a greater power rating than you.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I made another mod to fix the other thing that has always annoyed the poo poo out of me, which is that all of my heroes/generals end up with 8+ active abilities that give various buffs that I'm too lazy to deal with so I just end up feverishly clicking all of them whenever they get into combat. The mod makes all of the activate abilities granted by non-unique (legendary lord) items into passive abilities that are either constant or trigger conditionally (some with limited activations). Link, if anyone is interested:

Here are a few examples:

I'm aware that the Pendant of Slaanesh looks insanely powerful, but it also kills the poo poo out of the guy wearing it.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
So how does something like the tormentor sword work? Vanilla you activate it and for x seconds enemies in radius are immobilized. Are enemies just auto-immobilized if they enter the units radius now?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Wallet posted:

I made another mod to fix the other thing that has always annoyed the poo poo out of me, which is that all of my heroes/generals end up with 8+ active abilities that give various buffs that I'm too lazy to deal with so I just end up feverishly clicking all of them whenever they get into combat. The mod makes all of the activate abilities granted by non-unique (legendary lord) items into passive abilities that are either constant or trigger conditionally (some with limited activations). Link, if anyone is interested:

you are a wonderful goonperson and I wish you a long, happy life

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ammanas posted:

So how does something like the tormentor sword work? Vanilla you activate it and for x seconds enemies in radius are immobilized. Are enemies just auto-immobilized if they enter the units radius now?

There are two things going on there. There is an ability that is active only if the unit is engaged in melee and recharges only if the unit is engaged in melee which lasts for 12 seconds with a 20 second cooldown (it automatically actives any time it isn't on cooldown and the unit is engaged in melee). That ability gives the unit +18 melee attack and an imbuement (which is an effect that does something to any unit they hit in combat, like contact poison). The effect applied by the imbuement lasts 8 seconds, does damage over time, gives -12 melee attack, and prevents movement.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Any advice on good mods to get for the game?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

Any advice on good mods to get for the game?

imho

MUST HAVES

Instant Quest Battles: Obligatory. Otherwise, you will probably miss a fuckton of good upgrades for your lords because gently caress doing stupid and badly designed quests that have you send agents that you might not have in the rear end end of the world;

Skip Intro Logos: STOP GETTING IN MY WAY YA GITS

Home Region Movement Bonus: exactly what it says. Gives you a domestic movement bonus which is really good to deal with AI ping-ponging;

Better Camera Mod: makes it much better to visualize the battlefield;

Stupid Campaign Agents: disables aggressive actions by enemy agents (they still can deploy in your territory causing a lot of problems if you don't address that), which by later game can be ENORMOUSLY INFURIATING because bad implementation;

Eternal Winds of Magic: gives infinite magic reserves to your casters, allowing them to cast spells based only on their natural cooldowns and capability and recharge rate (that comes from the reserve). A must have if you are not using other magic overhauls.

COSMETIC IMPROVEMENTS:

Less Blood, Less Gore: tones down the tarantino-esque bloodbaths that the blood for the blood god dlc added to the game;

Improved Border Colors: nice cosmetic upgrade that makes territory much clearer to see;

Better Black Orcs: black orcs weren't proppa black, this fixes that;

Building Progression Icons: building icons show real progression instead of looking the same, a neat touch;

True Chaos Warriors: makes them properly caped and armored (which is kinda a big deal in the lore since their armor is given from the gods themselves) besides adding more variety to them. Good if you are going to play Chaos;

Vlad von Carstein face restored: comedy option because Isabella would be pretty pissed at him for not having at least the goddamn effort of putting his nose back god what a lazy husband

GAMEPLAY TWEAKS/CHANGES

Note: depending on your feel for the game, these might be cheesy or what, but for me they work pretty well.

Tier 4 minor settlements: non-capitals can go up to 4. Adds a lot of planning flexibility. Applies to the AI as well.

Level 60 max: Doubles the max level for your heroes and gives two skill points starting from level 15. Great if you want to have some seriously powerful lords roaming around for longer campaigns.

No Great Power Penalty: removes the great power diplomatic penalty, which imo makes no sense (distrust would be much better).

Global Building Bonus: unique constructions gives factionwide bonuses instead of local ones.

Double Research Speed: I personally dislike the research speed in the game, but others feel that it is pretty tight as it is.

Rebanner: made by our very own Wallet, makes banners a lot more useful instead of giving a "meh" bonus for an unit. Add a Rage Banner to the Tattersouls and watch the faithful go crazy bashing everything

---

I didn't add any overhauls because while I have played a lot I am far from done exploring most aspects of the game, so I am not qualified to comment on those. Gejnor's mods are pretty on point though from his analyses (like making greenskins stronger) and goons have a very good opinion on it, while Steel Faith seems to be the big standard on general overhauling of the game.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Wallet posted:

There are two things going on there. There is an ability that is active only if the unit is engaged in melee and recharges only if the unit is engaged in melee which lasts for 12 seconds with a 20 second cooldown (it automatically actives any time it isn't on cooldown and the unit is engaged in melee). That ability gives the unit +18 melee attack and an imbuement (which is an effect that does something to any unit they hit in combat, like contact poison). The effect applied by the imbuement lasts 8 seconds, does damage over time, gives -12 melee attack, and prevents movement.

So you aren't able to control its activation beyond not engaging the unit in combat? Nah...interesting idea for some player-activated skills though. Tormentor sword is one of my favorite abilities.

I like your banner mod a lot though. More !

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ammanas posted:

So you aren't able to control its activation beyond not engaging the unit in combat? Nah...interesting idea for some player-activated skills though. Tormentor sword is one of my favorite abilities.

:shrug: the point is not to have to worry about its activation. With the duration/cooldowns of the effects, the unit using it should be able to permanently lock down a single target if they stay on them. The Tormentor Sword ability is already quite powerful; if the effect was a constant AOE hex it would be obscene.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The point of an active ability is being able to use it when you choose to though, like maybe to turn a fight in your favor at a critical time. Having it just automatically go off defeats the purpose, for me at least.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The point of an active ability is being able to use it when you choose to though, like maybe to turn a fight in your favor at a critical time. Having it just automatically go off defeats the purpose, for me at least.

Yeah, it's not for everyone, I just can't be arsed to click on them. There are enough active abilities between spells and skills for me.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Steel Faith is really fun. I've never seen a full changelog for it though, so I've kinda learnt it as I go over the past while.

It includes T4 settlements. Garrisons are rebalanced and generally stronger-most buildings give a unit or two, so say building a barracks will give add a swordsmen to the garrison. Building a gallows adds a zombies. And so on. I like this as it makes the AI a bit better at putting up a fight.

Building effects are reworked and they're mostly more balanced imo. Each main faction capital allows one of each hero, which helps balance out the agent game. No more goblin big bosses running rampant before you ever get witch hunters.

A lot of elite units are shrunk and crap units expanded. So for example skellington units have 210 skullbros, whereas Blood Knights have 20, Grail Guardians just 6. Stats are of course reworked too. Grail Guardians pull their weight and are ultra badass, but it makes elites less of a no-brainer. A few six-man murdersquads is great but a whole stack of them can't exactly hold off a swarm of bad guys like they can in the base game with 60 or so.

I'd give it a go, especially if you've played out the base game. The better garrisons in particular make VC more of a challenge since it's a bit harder to just blitz Sylvania. Vlad and his beastly starting army and siege attacker trait are still monstrous, but since you start out in the red you're at least racing the clock before you go bankrupt. Templehof can often put an 18-stack garrison against you alongside its main army within 10 turns. Vlad, Knights, and Vargheists alone can still chew through infinite enemies but it's a bit tougher. As Mannfred or one of his backups you might actually have to think a bit instead of just steamrolling like you normally can.

It's definitely not the stupid slog that the guy describing Lorehammer experienced though. You can have Sylvania by turn 10 or 20.

Also, am I missing something or is Vlad just flat-out the better start for Von Carstein? Izzy's vampire weapon skill bonus isn't THAT great, and you get the melee attack and defense buffs regardless of whether you start as her. Meanwhile Vlad's starting army is just flat-out way better. Blood Knights and Varghulfs will tear apart the chaff the other VC factions throw at you. I don't even remember his campaign bonus, movement range? It doesn't matter, he doesn't need one. Plus getting his XP boosting skill ASAP is obviously worth it. Still struggling to find a use for bats. They die to fuckin war machine crews.

Kinda wish VC were still Draculas.

Manny:

Mum and Dad:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What is up with Vlad's hand in that picture?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, am I missing something or is Vlad just flat-out the better start for Von Carstein? Izzy's vampire weapon skill bonus isn't THAT great, and you get the melee attack and defense buffs regardless of whether you start as her. Meanwhile Vlad's starting army is just flat-out way better. Blood Knights and Varghulfs will tear apart the chaff the other VC factions throw at you. I don't even remember his campaign bonus, movement range? It doesn't matter, he doesn't need one. Plus getting his XP boosting skill ASAP is obviously worth it. Still struggling to find a use for bats. They die to fuckin war machine crews.

Vlad is indeed awesome but Isabella has a pretty great campaign bonus. Vlad gets +5% movement for all characters which is good, and Isabella gets +3 vampire limit AND +25% weapon strength to vampires. Vlad does have the better starting army, but each one can recruit the other by turn 2 so the other bonuses aren't as big a deal since you'd be insane not to have both ASAP.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Isabella is still pretty Dracula, even after she caught the Clamshell Disease:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

dead comedy forums posted:

MUST HAVES
Home Region Movement Bonus: exactly what it says. Gives you a domestic movement bonus which is really good to deal with AI ping-ponging;

Is this referring to how it's really obnoxious to chase down AI armies since they'll just go to March stance and run away, plus if you do catch them they'll just retreat and then they're out of reach again. Unless you have a hero to block them.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Vlad is indeed awesome but Isabella has a pretty great campaign bonus. Vlad gets +5% movement for all characters which is good, and Isabella gets +3 vampire limit AND +25% weapon strength to vampires. Vlad does have the better starting army, but each one can recruit the other by turn 2 so the other bonuses aren't as big a deal since you'd be insane not to have both ASAP.

I tried Isabella as my first VC game and while the idea of running around with a few super-powerful vampire heroes sounds cool, it makes their spellcasting pretty redundant since every caster on the same side shares the same Winds of Magic power pool. I didn't know that until I rolled into battle with my two starting Vamp heroes thinking "nice I can spam Nehek a bunch" but nope!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

That's true, but you can also turn them into melee murder machines which is what I do with the majority of them.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

That's true, but you can also turn them into melee murder machines which is what I do with the majority of them.
And get everyone to have both earthing and +winds is pretty easy as far as points go, gives you a lot of good debuff options, gives you more winds for Nehek, and then let's your Death vamps focus on either melee campaign skills while your Shadow vamps go a little heavier into spells and melee. If you're Isabella, it's worth having at least one caster for each of their Lores, I think, even if they mostly act as batteries for your Lord.

And then any extra vamps in the army can just be melee monsters after you've covered your spell options and campaign bonuses.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Turns out it's hella easy to confederate Vlad as Mannfred. Sadly he doesn't get his vanguard deployment if you do. Still a beastly combination of LLs though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

New mod dropped from FrostyDemise.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=931732032

Changelog here.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LNgxhUYjFBomrN-ydq58GLyL3WPYNUKRgH4YzV-cALo/edit#heading=h.fat7uclqrxbp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I love getting the wardancer event in the late game as being able to recruit max rank units with not too much investment is great.

• Locked thread