Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Julio Cruz posted:

He said something like "the manner of your death means I deal with you." So I guess Anubis is either the god of car crashes or blowjobs?

I was really hoping for a shot of Laura washing her back with her own detached arm in the shower.

e: checked back. The exact quote is "the circumstances of your death permit me."

All the old gods have to come up with new responsibilities to stay relevant

Anubis is the Egyptian god of death and disappointing blowjobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

It was "the circumstances of your death commit me." And Anubis has some experience with detached penises.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

mallratcal posted:

It was "the circumstances of your death commit me." And Anubis has some experience with detached penises.

You're gonna need to elaborate on that one.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

The God Osiris got torn into a bunch of pieces. Isis, Anubis and probably some others helped piece the body back together (minus his dong because a fish ate it) and he became the first mummy. Osiris later got a golden penis so he made out ok. Mythology's are loving weird.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Has anyone compared the ifrit scene from last week to Dayman/Nightman yet?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Thought it was a bit meh but lol'ed at anubis funerary company taking extraordinary orders

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Rocksicles posted:

I'm going out on a limb here and say, Laura's lack on motivation in life and suicide is god inspired to keep her in the right place at the right time. Everything has been engineered to this point, nothing seems accidental.

Almost seems like something bigger is at play.

Tigren fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 23, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

R. Mute posted:

Has anyone compared the ifrit scene from last week to Dayman/Nightman yet?

Looks like somebody finally paid the troll toll.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tigren posted:

Almost seems like something bigger is at play.

See! i didn't notice the top one because Shadow is BBQing with a giant penis.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Oh poo poo, I didn't notice all those ravens.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

mallratcal posted:

The God Osiris got torn into a bunch of pieces. Isis, Anubis and probably some others helped piece the body back together (minus his dong because a fish ate it) and he became the first mummy. Osiris later got a golden penis so he made out ok. Mythology's are loving weird.

Wait, are we meant to take from that that "the circumstances of your death" literally refers to the blowjob; I thought Anubis was the one who approached her because she worked at the Luxor.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Red Oktober posted:

You're making a lot of assumptions after two episodes.

Moving from 0 dicks in the first, to 1 dick in the second - assuming exponential growth.... we could be on over 500 dicks in just ten episodes.

What did you use to make this?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Scientific dick calculator

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Rocksicles posted:

Scientific dick calculatorcockulator

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dang it... sometimes you gotta be the lay up guy

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Rocksicles posted:

Dong it...

Keep with the theme

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
hahaha

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

drat, Dane Cook hasn't aged well at all. Looks rough.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Vintersorg posted:

drat, Dane Cook hasn't aged well at all. Looks rough.

I remarked the same and then my gf looked surprised at me and said he was always rough and had nasty skin, rip.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Argue posted:

Wait, are we meant to take from that that "the circumstances of your death" literally refers to the blowjob; I thought Anubis was the one who approached her because she worked at the Luxor.

I read that as another tip off if the ravens were too subtle.

If it was a severed penis thing I'd think on a show this much about stories some person would have given a weird monologue about that story as foreshadowing 101.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Argue posted:

I was just assuming that dick removal/death gets Anubis' attention, based on the myth. I haven't read the book so this is just me speculating, with the raven watching Laura and the car they almost hit when she died didn't stick around, there is likely a larger game being played.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I just figured that "the circumstances" "committed him" to taking her to the dark death place instead of the sunny death place that the old woman went to.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is this book series Memento?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Man, the hosed up thing was telling her she had to annihilate herself by crawling back into her suicide attempt.... :psypop:

Also, Dane Cook was perfectly cast, he has not aged well, but the moment of realization of who the actor was and what his character did were simultaneous to me, so I was just smitten with the whole thing. :swoon:

Argue posted:

Watching again, they are really overt about showing the statue of Anubis while panning in on Laura in the first shot of the episode. I'm guessing the proximity to Anubis' idols (who literally watched over her life at work), combined with her militant atheism, allowed Anubis to claim her. I'm guessing Anubis still gets her resource belief-points, even though her soul goes to The Darkness.

Vintersorg posted:

Is this book series Memento?

No? :iiam:

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Julio Cruz posted:

He said something like "the manner of your death means I deal with you." So I guess Anubis is either the god of car crashes or blowjobs?

I was really hoping for a shot of Laura washing her back with her own detached arm in the shower.

e: checked back. The exact quote is "the circumstances of your death commit me."

ee: checked again, "commit me" is right.

Anubis, god of depressed atheistic Egyptophiles whose spouses work for his colleagues

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Man, the hosed up thing was telling her she had to annihilate herself by crawling back into her suicide attempt.... :psypop:

I read that less as a suicide attempt and more as her getting high and not really caring if she died in the process. She likes danger and was just THAT bored.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Soysaucebeast posted:

I read that less as a suicide attempt and more as her getting high and not really caring if she died in the process. She likes danger and was just THAT bored.
Yeah. The way that they're portraying her is really interesting, in that she displays some.classic anti-social personality traits (dangerous thrill-seeking, disregard for other's feelings, disregard for conventional morality) while at the same time being loyal, in her own way, to Shadow.

Despite the anti-social stuff, she's not a caricature; she comes off as having behaved in these ways in life because she was depressed to the point of being numb and needed danger to feel alive. That all jives with her refusal, in death, to willingly go into "the darkness." I really like the character.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 23, 2017

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

"This is a sad, lovely obituary :mad:"
"Yeah, well you lived a sad, lovely life :shrug:"

Loved their dynamic.

Audrey is my favorite character, right alongside Shadow.

"Get out of my house, you zombie whore!"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Soysaucebeast posted:

Nah that was definitely supposed to be suicide and she changed her mind halfway into it.

If she was getting high she'd just do it upstairs with a paper bag or something. You don't lock yourself into a small chamber like that unless you're trying to suffocate. She wasn't hot boxing.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Yeah. Even if you're doing auto-erotic asphyxiation, you want to have a spotter.

Rest in peace, David.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah that was definitely supposed to be suicide and she changed her mind halfway into it.

If she was getting high she'd just do it upstairs with a paper bag or something. You don't lock yourself into a small chamber like that unless you're trying to suffocate. She wasn't hot boxing.
Her request to Shadow for more bug spray implied that this was an on-going thing. I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that she was getting high and wasn't too worried about the risks, or that the risks enhanced it for her.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Does bug spray really get you high?

edit: Asking for a friend.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
When you're huffing bug spray the line between thrill-seeking and depression gets a lot blurrier.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you are hugging bug spray then a lot of stuff probably gets blurry.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

withak posted:

Maybe you'll get high for a bit from the oxygen deprivation before you die.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

withak posted:

I just tried it, and it's not as good as the reefer.

On the other hand, I finally felt that total absence of God and meaning that's so hip these days.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Soysaucebeast posted:

Ersatz posted:

Her request to Shadow for more bug spray implied that this was an on-going thing. I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that she was getting high and wasn't too worried about the risks, or that the risks enhanced it for her.

This is almost as bad as the people not getting the dog bit earlier.

Oh, goons. :allears:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Goons are bad at connecting the dots.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Yeah, even though Laura was married she still wasn't happy. She literally said that to Shadow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Johnny Truant posted:

This is almost as bad as the people not getting the dog bit earlier.

Oh, goons. :allears:
The dots between extreme depression and dangerous-to-the-point-of-suiciadal-thrill-seeking are pretty well connected dude.

See also, e.g., taking home the criminal stranger you just met who creepily propositined you in the parking lot after he waited for hours.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 23, 2017