Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (February 29, 1952)

Nancy (April 18, 1944)

Wash Tubbs (December 16, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (January 14, 1924)

Lil' Abner (September 13, 1937)

Barney Google (January 15, 1923)

Alley Oop (April 16, 1934)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

SomeMathGuy posted:

This is probably a by-product of my only being introduced to Wee Pals via this thread and only ever seeing Morrie Turner near the end of his life (I think it was literally a year before he died) but man, it's a little weird thinking about him ever being that young.

That episode was filmed in 1971, I believe

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Drunk Badger posted:

That episode was filmed in 1971, I believe

I'm going to have to find that one. That was a very good year.

Maslovo
Oct 12, 2016

Selachian posted:

Pros and Cons

I thought this was cute. They actually admit they're friends! :3:

Or they're just okay with this guy they have lunch with everyday being just a teeny bit of an rear end in a top hat but I like the first one better.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I like this.

I love this.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2000 Spiderman

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

shortspecialbus posted:

Finally, a comprehensible Tracksuit, even if it's not exceptionally funny. I used to really like this comic, but it's gotten really "miss" lately, either being incomprehensible or just not funny.

I feel the same way. At first I wondered if I was just being daft and missing the joke (even in some of the translated ones).

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Back to B.C.

April 1, 1958

April 2, 1958

April 3, 1958

April 4, 1958

Random Acts of Nancy

March 3, 1955

July 21, 1955

January 31, 1955

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Spirit of the Staircase

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I really like Ali's Place and Spirit of the Staircase. I'm glad they're posted regularly.

B.C.

Being a real fuckin buzzkill, Nabuquduriuzhur.

Baldo

Honestly, as far as parent-lies go, that's a pretty good one.

Wizard of Id needs more orbs:

Big Nate

I have no idea who Randy is.

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Baby Blues

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So are strips like Baby Blues and Foob and Marvin and the like meant to be a "oh man isn't having kids wacky, look how the funnies commiserate with me" thing or a "HOLY gently caress DON'T HAVE KIDS DON'T HAVE KIDS THEY'RE loving AWFUL DEMONS RUN AWAY GET TIED AND SNIPPED" thing

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Commiseration is a major recurring theme of the comics page and has been since its inception.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

shortspecialbus posted:

I usually love this comic and can figure out the joke in 9/10 of them, but I kinda am missing it in this one I think, or at least how it fits the narrative - I think it's just the dad being goofy, but I'm wondering if there's more to it.

Well, midway through their shocked reaction at the diver being a foreigner is because Jeju women divers are traditional culture specific to the island, to the tune of several hundred years if not more. Seeing a woman wearing that kind of outfit come out of the ocean with a bucket of fish turn out to be white would, indeed, be very surprising.

Haifisch posted:

2000 Spiderman

I refuse to read this in context that last panel's too funny as a punchline.

Tracksuit

The lump disappears without explanation in the second half. That really confused me when I first read it. Most likely it's just an artist error.

The whole thing is a riff on a fairy tale. The joke being that the word for the mythical item in question would refer to something completely different in a modern context.

Mother From Another Country

That seems to be a matter of interpretation though.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Calaveron posted:

So are strips like Baby Blues and Foob and Marvin and the like meant to be a "oh man isn't having kids wacky, look how the funnies commiserate with me" thing or a "HOLY gently caress DON'T HAVE KIDS DON'T HAVE KIDS THEY'RE loving AWFUL DEMONS RUN AWAY GET TIED AND SNIPPED" thing

I think it's just easier to write strips around kids being lovely than it is to write about parenthood being rewarding. That's why there's only a handful of comics like Cul-De-Sac or Calvin that have a good balance between entertaining and heartwarming, and a million lovely FBofW-caliber comics about running out of diapers on Thanksgiving or whatever the gently caress.

And if you remove ALL the negative stuff and have zero talent then you end up with Rose is Rose, which is dog poo poo. So I guess I'm grateful there's not more of that.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Calvin is 1% heartwarming, 95% Calvin being an utter gobshite to everyone around him

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Tony Stark, notorious poon-hound that he is, doesn't look too jazzed to have Aunt May sitting in his lap.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Prince Valiant

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set needs to crack a window.

Working Daze is a wide-awake nightmare.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix goes retro.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life - Since May 6th, excluding Sundays, all but two strips have started with "So,"

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Vargo posted:

Wizard of Id needs more orbs:

Id Wiz getting adventurous with the art.

Julet Esqu posted:

Big Ben Bolt

"All this time, I just wanted a desk job! Thank you, adult!"

Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Apr. 15, 1995)

Garfield Classic (Apr. 15, 1985)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Drunk Badger posted:

I think the Mr Rogers stream is about to show Morrie Turner

https://www.twitch.tv/misterrogers

Edit: I wasn't quick enough to record it, but it was interesting.

drat, Morrie had a good taste in ties.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Alterian posted:

People this geeky are usually completely insufferable. I say this as a pretty nerdy person who met her husband in a dragonball z roleplaying chat in the late 90's.

This strip makes me want to go bully nerds, and I was one in school.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Fingerpori

Ruis = Rye
Kuitu = Fibre
Rusku = Syringe
Itu = Sprout

Kennel fucked around with this message at 12:08 on May 23, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life - Since May 6th, excluding Sundays, all but two strips have started with "So,"

Since the day it started, all strips have loving sucked

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, definitely keep making GBS threads on this guy who is constantly in your office looking for temp work since he can't find anything steady. That's definitely what i consider lazy.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, definitely keep making GBS threads on this guy who is constantly in your office looking for temp work since he can't find anything steady. That's definitely what i consider lazy.

He's clearly not doing enough bootstraps and therefore deserves the ridicule.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

scott adams stop self inserting

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Think of them as modern, cheap-o versions of "Why Mothers Get Gray".

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Vargo posted:

I really like Ali's Place and Spirit of the Staircase. I'm glad they're posted regularly.

I'm glad people are enjoying them.

Thanks for posting Wallace the Brave!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2000 Spiderman

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

The colorist can no longer be bothered to remember that guy's mustache, and honestly? I can't blame them.

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

Slylock Fox and Comics for Kids

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (March 20-22 and 24-25, 1930)

Peanuts (May 25-26, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (December 5-6 and 8-10, 1930)

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

"Everyone bombed this quiz I gave. Could it be that I didn't convey the material effectively, or that the quiz was too hard? No, it must be down to the sort of rampant cheating I could easily prevent with active proctoring."

gently caress you, Les.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Haha I love classic Thimble Theatre so much. This storyline is pure lunacy and it's great.

Also I want to throw a shout out for Ali's Place because it's probably my favorite comic that's been added to the thread in the last while.

Spirit of the Staircase seems like something I might like if I could actually read it, but for whatever reason I find the character designs so off-putting on some deep level that I just can't read it. It's not a dig against the strip (and by no means stop posting it ofc.) I don't know what it is exactly, but I can't get past it :saddowns:

Edit:

SomeMathGuy posted:

Everyone bombed this quiz I gave. Could it be that I didn't convey the material effectively, or that the quiz was too hard? No, it must be down to the sort of rampant cheating I could easily prevent with active proctoring."

gently caress you, Les.

The University of Wisconsin math program prides itself on failing as many students as possible in the 220 level calc courses. When I took it back in 1999 or whatever, the professor was bragging on the first day of class that the highest anyone had ever gotten on one of his exams in the 20+ years he'd been teaching was a 63% (or something), and after each exam the class average was usually around 23% or so. I heard from friends that pretty much all the professors did that. I don't see how that's something to be proud of - it means you're either a terrible teacher or your exams are atrocious. I personally think it was a bit of both - the exams were designed to trick you and almost all of the material on them wasn't covered in lectures or book work. I hate poo poo like that.

ssb fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 23, 2017

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

SomeMathGuy posted:

Mark Trail

The colorist can no longer be bothered to remember that guy's mustache, and honestly? I can't blame them.
Boy it sure is exciting watching these characters talk about what other unseen characters have said.

F Minus

Ugh. There must be a third option here.

Mary Worth

"Cruise ships are blameless, holy creatures, Toby."

Rex Morgan MD

June wears kind of a weird shade of lipstick. Another thrilling chapter in RMMD!

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

She's a lucky girl to have snagged that man!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wait, was that her plan? Trap the wife so the guy stresses out over worry, which will get him smoking again, ????, bone town?

quote:

"Cruise ships are blameless, holy creatures, Toby."
Why don't they look? :(

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (March 1, 1952)

Nancy (April 19, 1944)

Wash Tubbs (December 17, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (January 15, 1924)

Lil' Abner (September 14, 1937)

Barney Google (January 16, 1923)

Alley Oop (April 17, 1934)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wait, was that her plan? Trap the wife so the guy stresses out over worry, which will get him smoking again, ????, bone town?

Why don't they look? :(

I think the idea is that she would have gotten left behind, and tyhe lady would have been free to seduce the guy.

• Locked thread