Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Intruder posted:

Keuchel is like James Harden, no one really knows what he looks like

e: actually scratch that, here's an old pic of him without a beard and... wow, who knew?

I knew, Intruder. I knew. :colbert:

Charlie Morton is the dreamiest Astro anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

YeahTubaMike posted:

I knew, Intruder. I knew. :colbert:

Charlie Morton is the dreamiest Astro anyway

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Yuli should get points for his hair alone

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

bewbies posted:

Today I learned only one person has ever hit 50 doubles and 50 homers in a season and that person was Albert Belle.

There have only been ~100 seasons of 50+ doubles and 43 seasons of 50+ home runs. Makes sense. Albert Belle was a crazy person.

Hell, Hank Greenberg and A-Rod are the only other two with 50+ seasons of both in their career!

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 23, 2017

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

Going to see Giants/Cubs next Tuesday now, it will be billed as an NLDS rematch of Cueto vs Lester but now that both teams are garbage who knows what will happen! (prediction: rainout)

You predicted this a week ago and the forecast says it's nothing but rain tonight :negative:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
kp is now 100% good in my books again and I couldn't be happier about it. it was such an ugly stupid thing to have happen but he has handled it as well as he possibly could have.

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/mlb/why-did-it-happen-toronto-blue-jays-kevin-pillar-reflects-on-homophobic-slur-he-yelled-at-opponent

quote:

“I’m 28 years old and I hear grown men use (ugly) language all the time, whether it’s in a clubhouse, on the field, in the streets, on a subway, on a plane. The language isn’t dead and gone,” he said. “But for me to use that type of language is not something that my wife, who I’ve known for close to 10 years now, has ever heard me use. My mother, it’s something she’s never heard me use.

“That doesn’t mean I don’t hear it, and I guess if you’re in that moment and … I don’t know, subconscious has a way of working sometimes and hopefully this is the last of it. Hopefully this won’t be a defining moment (of my career). Hopefully it will be a learning experience for me and my teammates.”

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

You predicted this a week ago and the forecast says it's nothing but rain tonight :negative:

It's an ESPN game so no great loss.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

The Walrus posted:

kp is now 100% good in my books again and I couldn't be happier about it. it was such an ugly stupid thing to have happen but he has handled it as well as he possibly could have.

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/mlb/why-did-it-happen-toronto-blue-jays-kevin-pillar-reflects-on-homophobic-slur-he-yelled-at-opponent

I think he has reacted about as well as someone could and I get the sense from the way some of the stuff was worded that the suspension might have been something he offered up and not just imposed by the league or team. I think I can talk to my son about it as a good teaching moment about how good people sometimes do bad / stupid things in the heat of the moment and what defines you is how you deal with it afterwards. I mean hopefully you don't say the stupid thing in the first place but if it leaks out then you own it and do what you can to make it better.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Also LOL at Bautista playing 3B today, or any day really

E: $20 million utility fielder

:laffo:

:negative:

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 23, 2017

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I don't get at all why they're playing him at third? So they can put.... Coghlan in left? Why not just have Coghlan at third and put Bautista back in right where he's more comfortable and have Zeke play left? Or Alford? This makes no sense to me

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Also LOL at Bautista playing 3B today, or any day really

E: $20 million utility fielder

:laffo:

:negative:

Well Coghlan is an awful 3B and very good LF and Bautista is a a bad outfielder aside from his arm these days so it makes sense if they wanna have Coghlan in the lineup.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
theyve had coghlan at 3rd for like 10 games at least though, just don't see why theyd put injury prone bautista at 3rd when donaldson will be back soonish anyway

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I feel like for some managers Making Moves has become an end unto itself which is how you get situations like this.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

"Shits not working I gotta do something" is a natural reaction of managers of all kinds of businesses, not just baseball. Sometimes you have to accept that you have your best pieces in their best spots and just accept you have lovely pieces.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Hey I know let's put Old Man Baseball in a position where he needs to be able to jump, dive and repeatedly make throws in order to do his job

Although, while I would never wish injury on someone, if he gets hurt then they can get him out of the roster and put in someone who is on the uptrend of their career rather than the downward spiral

Maybe Gibby's smarter than we're giving him credit for :v:

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Hey I know let's put Old Man Baseball in a position where he needs to be able to jump, dive and repeatedly make throws in order to do his job

Although, while I would never wish injury on someone, if he gets hurt then they can get him out of the roster and put in someone who is on the uptrend of their career rather than the downward spiral

Maybe Gibby's smarter than we're giving him credit for :v:

Bautista is hitting 288/402/603 in May. You really have to stop making these kinds of posts.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Chexoid posted:

Bautista is hitting 288/402/603 in May. You really have to stop making these kinds of posts.

Great! see previous note about being on career down-slope. A good may still leaves him with middling to bad season stats. Which is closer to his remaining potential?

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

You want the team's hottest hitter to get injured so that he can be replaced by (???).

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

We're not likely to be contending this year so it would be good to get some of our young guys some exposure. Now that he's recovered his trade value a bit, trade him to someone who's in the running for some picks and drive on.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

It's a long season my guy, if the Jays still suck by the trade deadline there's still plenty of time for both Pompey and Alford to let us all down in the outfield in August and September. Bautista would have to stay good for a fair bit for there to be any real value in trading him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'd be curious to see what a team would cough up for Bautista at this point; he's past his prime but he can still send a ball a long way, and he's very marketable, unless you're a Rangers or Braves fan.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Today is apparently Sam Travis Day in Boston :toot:

Here's to Lars Anderson 2.0! (please no)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'd be curious to see what a team would cough up for Bautista at this point; he's past his prime but he can still send a ball a long way, and he's very marketable, unless you're a Rangers or Braves fan.
I don't know that many teams worry about the marketability of a 2 month rental player

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

We're not likely to be contending this year so it would be good to get some of our young guys some exposure. Now that he's recovered his trade value a bit, trade him to someone who's in the running for some picks and drive on.

Young guys like?

Like I'm ignoring all the other nonsense you wrote just so I can understand what young guys the Jays should be playing that theoretically exist.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I didn't see this being talked about but the Atlanta bullpen has gone 54 consecutive batters without a hit.

That's the equivalent of 18 innings. It also sets a franchise record.

Complete turnaround from what they were doing at the beginning of the year and a large reason why they're 7-3 over the last 10 games.

yes i know the starting rotation is terrible shut up

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 23, 2017

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bawfuls posted:

I don't know that many teams worry about the marketability of a 2 month rental player

Let me tell you about the Minnesota Twins, who would market a rock if they thought it could Be a Nice Guy and Mash Dingers On Occasion.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

rickiep00h posted:

Let me tell you about the Minnesota Twins, who would market a rock if they thought it could Be a Nice Guy and Mash Dingers On Occasion.

You rang?

(was not a rental at the time)

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Joey Freshwater posted:

I didn't see this being talked about but the Atlanta bullpen has gone 54 consecutive batters without a hit.

That's the equivalent of 18 innings. It also sets a franchise record.

Complete turnaround from what they were doing at the beginning of the year and a large reason why they're 7-3 over the last 10 games.

yes i know the starting rotation is terrible shut up

If I'm not mistaken, Ian Krol hasn't pitched much during that span...

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

YeahTubaMike posted:

Speaking of serious contributions,

N: Matt Harvey claims to have fixed himself.

V: I hope he's right. I had the good fortune of seeing him deal during opening week, and I want to see that version of Matt Harvey again.

That second inning he just had seems to suggest that he's a long, long way off from being the Matt Harvey of old, if he's even capable of being that anymore.

The Mets are still leading 7-2 though :v:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

BasicFunk posted:

If I'm not mistaken, Ian Krol hasn't pitched much during that span...

Yeah he's pitched maybe 4-5 innings in that span. His ERA has dropped from 7.9 to 6.8 since then. Progress!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Kyle Schwarber just hit the first homer to reach Sheffield since they expanded the bleachers last year. 476 feet. :stare:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Gwinnett Braves are looking for a new mascot in 2018.

Because I have no originality, I've submitted Teamy McTeamfaces.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Putting in the Gwinnett Marks, though the Gwinnett Suckers might be better.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Gwinnett Winners

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Grittybeard posted:

I had this same problem with the Royals. I suppose Jason Vargas is kinda minorly messed up looking and...I don't know Lorenzo Cain seems handsome? Then I look up Cain and his smile is doofy as hell, so I don't know.

Eric Hosmer is the go to Royals looker I guess but I can't get past his eyebrows at all.

Is alcides Escobar not still on the team? There's your ugly

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

lol get hosed Cueto

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bawfuls posted:

lol get hosed Cueto

The one Rizzo hit was pretty well murdered, too.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I think he has reacted about as well as someone could and I get the sense from the way some of the stuff was worded that the suspension might have been something he offered up and not just imposed by the league or team. I think I can talk to my son about it as a good teaching moment about how good people sometimes do bad / stupid things in the heat of the moment and what defines you is how you deal with it afterwards. I mean hopefully you don't say the stupid thing in the first place but if it leaks out then you own it and do what you can to make it better.

I was pretty impressed with his public apology, it does seem to be pretty genuine and one of the better ones I've heard from an athlete. Hopefully he gets a chance to do some good for a gay charity or maybe join up in the pride parade or something this year.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

rickiep00h posted:

The one Rizzo hit was pretty well murdered, too.

Pff, that one was a measly 407-footer. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

don't want to alarm anyone in this thread, but a cubs starter made it past the seventh inning for the first time this season

• Locked thread