Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
I believe that because Jason Kidd seems like an intolerable piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I forgot Khris was a Piston

quote:

The Pistons sent Brandon Knight, Khris Middleton and Slava Kravtsov to the Bucks in a sign-and-trade for Brandon Jennings.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Tae posted:

I forgot Khris was a Piston

John Hammond wouldn't trade Jennings without Middleton in the trade, Hammond had just come over from Detroit, they knew he had potential baby

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Fun fact the Bucks were just going to release Jennings from his restricted tender, but the Hawks decided to match the RFA offer to Teague after debating it to the last day.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I was fully on the Thon Maker age conspiracy train in the pre-season but TBH he did look pretty young in the NBA. Maybe he had plastic surgery :tinfoil:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

leftist heap posted:

I was fully on the Thon Maker age conspiracy train in the pre-season but TBH he did look pretty young in the NBA. Maybe he had plastic surgery :tinfoil:

Here's another man from Sudan who was drafted at the same legal age as Thon

Thon is 22 or 23 and doesn't have the babyface of a real 19 year old, but he's got potential anyway

Not an objective comparison or anything, but if you're not used to Sudanese faces you might miss signs of aging

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah 7 feet, can shoot and move. Who cares what his age is.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
John Hammond decided that Michael Carter Williams was more desirable than what turned out to be the Lakers unprotected first rounder next year and for that I like him a great deal and wish him nothing but the best.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
IMO he photographs older than he looks in-game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bG2AXnvo_o

I'm pretty willing to believe he's 20 years old.

the real conspiracy here is Malcolm Brogdon, who looks 30 years old and has the name of an Australian. What are you hiding "Malcolm"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Jota posted:

John Hammond decided that Michael Carter Williams was more desirable than what turned out to be the Lakers unprotected first rounder next year and for that I like him a great deal and wish him nothing but the best.

Wasn't that Kidd thinking he found the next Jason Kidd?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Hand Row posted:

It's not money. Hammonds was with the team before the new owners bought the team and was getting pushed out for a while now.

Here is my Bucks history based on rumor and hearsay, so believe what you want. The owners kept Hammonds on after buying the team. Hammonds is nerdy/awkward but is a smart dude. The original intention was to keep him on until Kidd was ready to take on front office duties.

Kidd took on more power and called some shots 2 years ago, but it was a disaster. Think trading the Clippers first rounder for Vasquez, trading other veterans like Zaza and Dudley for nothing, drafting Vaughn etc. So the owners pivoted and hired Zanik from Utah as assistant GM last year to takeover eventually, with Hammonds retiring to a scouting role.

Hammonds gets a new no brainer opportunity so he takes the Orlando job. Now the more interesting rumors are that Kidd is on his way out this year or the next. Tons of rumors about him being grating on everyone.

My prediction is Zanik takes over and Kidd is gone next year.
Your prediction is probably right, unless they win a playoff series.

I think it's a good decision in a vacuum, but I also think that a lot of Orlando's stupider moves came from pressure on their GM to win now, after an attempted rebuild that went nowhere. We'll see if the pyramid scheme kingpin, Dick DeVos, can leave him alone and let him build a team

Bashez posted:

He was slotted in at 20 in basically every mock draft and was regarded as having come out too early. He only played a year in college. He's tremendous value for a 29th pick. He's going to be a good player.
Yeah, he was considered skinny and immature and he could not shoot, but he had that potential baby, and it was a reversal of what was a tradition of drafting not-athletic but skilled guys late in the first round

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Why does this make Steph look like Alex Rodriguez?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It's too bad the Magic's rebuild didn't work out, I thought they got a pretty decent haul for Dwight under the circumstances and their draft philosophy of taking a bunch of hyperathletes that can't shoot is how I'd run a franchise

morestuff fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 23, 2017

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Jota posted:

That's tricky because you don't know how much he was pressured by the owners

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
The Celtics are going to get loving murked tonight and it's going to be hard for me to watch. Maybe I'll just play a replay of the last game instead and pretend like it's happening again.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

OzFactor posted:

Why does this make Steph look like Alex Rodriguez?

i see it

lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Bashez posted:

He was slotted in at 20 in basically every mock draft and was regarded as having come out too early. He only played a year in college. He's tremendous value for a 29th pick. He's going to be a good player.

Spurs' first-round picks since 2010 (all 20th or later)
Dejounte Murray
"Nikola Milutinov"
Kyle Anderson
Livio Jean-Charles
Cory Joseph
James Anderson

3 out of those guys have played important NBA minutes. That seems like a pretty good ratio of end-of-first-round picks becoming useful, right?

Spurs should probably trade Anderson while he still has the Spurs Role Player glow

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
MCW will never ever have a game as good as his very first game haha

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

Your prediction is probably right, unless they win a playoff series.

I think it's a good decision in a vacuum, but I also think that a lot of Orlando's stupider moves came from pressure on their GM to win now, after an attempted rebuild that went nowhere. We'll see if the pyramid scheme kingpin, Dick DeVos, can leave him alone and let him build a team

Yeah, he was considered skinny and immature and he could not shoot, but he had that potential baby, and it was a reversal of what was a tradition of drafting not-athletic but skilled guys late in the first round

Rich turned the team over to one of his kids, not Dick the shitbag politco-businessman married to Betsy or Doug the weirdo evangelical, but Dan, who must be really into sports cause he runs a minor league hockey team and an arena football team too.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Cool Buff Man posted:

The Celtics are going to get loving murked tonight and it's going to be hard for me to watch. Maybe I'll just play a replay of the last game instead and pretend like it's happening again.

That's what we thought going into that game too. v:shobon:v

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Salvor_Hardin posted:

That's what we thought going into that game too. v:shobon:v

And that's exactly why it ended up being special so what's your point. I"m going to DESTROY my own team online until they win the finals.

Join me in being pessimistic so we can be sooo exhilarated.

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 23, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Shear Modulus posted:

Spurs' first-round picks since 2010 (all 20th or later)
Dejounte Murray
"Nikola Milutinov"
Kyle Anderson
Livio Jean-Charles
Cory Joseph
James Anderson

3 out of those guys have played important NBA minutes. That seems like a pretty good ratio of end-of-first-round picks becoming useful, right?

Spurs should probably trade Anderson while he still has the Spurs Role Player glow

Yeah, that's basically ideal hit rate and it's still like 50%-to-role-player. The end of the first round is really sparse.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Hand Row posted:

Now the more interesting rumors are that Kidd is on his way out this year or the next. Tons of rumors about him being grating on everyone.

There is a Jason Kidd puff piece video they showed during intermissions of some league pass games this year and it was the most hilariously awkward thing. Staged shots of Kidd teaching his young players how to Play The Right Way, undermined by Kidd being so wooden you could have sawn him into planks and used them to make a hardwood floor to ball on. The players, millionaires being treated like they were college kids under the stern fatherly tutelage of a legendary college coach Who Is Teaching Them About Life Not Just The Game, had some great I-do-not-want-to-be-here faces.

Huge shocker that someone who thought that sanctimonious, tone deaf, and lifeless video was a good idea to shoot and release for self promotion could be a grating personality nobody really likes

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I mean that still sounds like a pretty big improvement from Kidd's previous attempts at close relationships.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/ogbobbyjindal/status/867132464749215744

Protect Joel Embid at all costs.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dexo posted:

Protect Joel Embid at all costs.

Gobert was the one who made the original joke. Embiid's a hack.

https://twitter.com/AlyshaTsuji/status/867106424869986304

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I love NBA players IG trolling one another now

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kanter has an article up on the Player's Tribune about his ordeal. If you want to read Gulenist propaganda.

Actually it sounds like he's having a pretty tough time.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

zoux posted:

Kanter has an article up on the Player's Tribune about his ordeal. If you want to read Gulenist propaganda.

Actually it sounds like he's having a pretty tough time.

Dang

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

He straight up called Erdogan "the Hitler of our century" in his press conference.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

leftist heap posted:

It's real. People on/r/NBA found multiple hs yearbooks with him as a senior. /NBA is better at reasearch than some draft departments lol.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Spacebump posted:

It's real. People on/r/NBA found multiple hs yearbooks with him as a senior. /NBA is better at reasearch than some draft departments lol.

Yup. We all had a big discussion about in the old NBA N/V thread if anyone has archives. It's overwhelmingly likely that he's 22-24.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He straight up called Erdogan "the Hitler of our century" in his press conference.

The Kurds would probably agree yeah.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Those "yearbooks" were not conclusive to me at all. But he may still be older. Youd think there would be many many more witneses in his class. But there isnt. I think one.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

The Kurds would probably agree yeah.

Pretty sure we're at the point that most people would agree.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Still pretty early in the century fellas.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

I know you're playing around but when you have the best guy on the court and none of the next 5, the result is the 2005 finals or the OKC-Houston series this year or at best the. 2015 finals

This is why I believe LBJ is still underrated despite all of his accolades and awards.

LBJ is on the cusp of going to the finals for the seventh straight year and is coming off a season where he defeated a team that won 73 games in the midst of the best finals performance since at least 1974 Kareem. He can adjust his style of play so many different ways and is the most versatile player in NBA history. He can play offense and defense at every position like nobody else. Kareem would not excel at PG. Michael Jordan would not excel at C. If the Cavaliers were an underdog they'd get the referee benefit calls and LBJ would use that to his advantage.

LBJs skill level is so high he makes up new ways of shooting the ball for fun that other elite scorers are unable to replicate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoDKtzjLS9k

As far as the 2015 finals and this year's OKC-HOU series. The 2015 team had injuries and was a team suffering from a very low roster continuity of only 39%. No team has won a title with that much turnover. LBJ is so far advanced above 2017 RW that placing him onto the the 2017 OKC would be eye-opening for many. Likewise, RW wouldn't be leading those really weak Cavs teams from yesteryear to 66 win seasons. RW + Zydrunas + Gibson doesn't add up to 66 wins. LBJ was the #1 FG shooter in the entire league while RW was the second worst in the entire league.

This gunfight encapsulates LBJ vs. RW perfectly. A classic case of style over substance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y-tL_kGUes

PS Kyrie and Love are coasting too.

Cool Buff Man posted:

...I don't know what you're trying to prove here.

Basically that IT is a max player and Celtics watchers should gladly want him maxed despite the high probability that LBJ will continue to bounce the Celtics (and the rest of the EC) out of the playoffs every year. And that Fultz won't take LBJ down either.

Marcus Smart and Avery Bradley have half the production of IT this past year but make double the money. IT is due for a big paycheck and backpay. 25%+ of the WS and only 7% of the pay. He was shortchanged $18,000,000 USD this year. Al Horford is a big ripoff too.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

so was hitler :thunk:

e: this was in response to zoux but hitler probably was a unicorn in basketball too imo

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Pretty sure we're at the point that most people would agree.

I dunno about Hitler, that is a pretty high body count. He's a Pinochet at least. Probably a Saddam Hussein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

zoux posted:

Still pretty early in the century fellas.

ugh comparing genocidal tyrants across eras is so silly

• Locked thread