Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

True, but then my German flatmate kept making us fresh pretzels so he redeemed the country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I better have used caustic soda to make them. :colbert:

phuzzylodgik
Oct 20, 2005

Fuck this filter shit.

Two Finger posted:

True, but then my German flatmate kept making us fresh pretzels so he redeemed the country

Must be a good dude. Making pretzels is a pain in the rear end.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Yeah twisting them is a giant pain. But they came out pretty good. A+ would invade sudetenland have german flatmate again

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
The real pain is the lye bath imo, but it's worth it.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Richard Bong posted:

The real pain is the lye bath imo, but it's worth it.

It's not really a pain if you do some basic calculations to either narrow down what you need to buy, or how you need to dilute it. You have something like a 6% threshold around the sweet-spot of the PH value, so it's not hard to gently caress up.

And I wouldn't even call it "worth it", because it should be a necessity for the recipe of proper pretzels, not something that's optional. I've seen the atrocities wrought upon pretzels in the USA, and shortcuts or alterations to the original recipe should be punishable by death.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Fortunately I live in a city that had more German than English speakers at one time, so pretzels tend to not be awful here. I can't wait until I get to Germany next week so I can gobble up a pretzel and döner within minutes of arriving.

Btw what is this cheesy pretzel sausage thing called:

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 23, 2017

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

DoktorLoken posted:

Adolf Hitler.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Adolf Hitler.

Something I've always wondered: Did the hitler name die with Adolf or did he have family that carried on the name? I never hear the name Hitler used for anyone but Adolf Hitler. Is there like a distant removed cousin Jahn Hitler the sanitation engineer or whatever?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Happiness is eating a soft pretzel the size of a small child and while drinking German beer out of a glass that is also the size of a small child.

e: And then getting a donner box for 5 euro later on after you're trashed

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

IIRC some/all of his family chose to not have kids specifically so they didn't pass on that name

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

DoktorLoken posted:

A sandwich

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Something I've always wondered: Did the hitler name die with Adolf or did he have family that carried on the name? I never hear the name Hitler used for anyone but Adolf Hitler. Is there like a distant removed cousin Jahn Hitler the sanitation engineer or whatever?

He did have some family in America, actually, but the descendants all chose to not have kids and let the family line end.

https://nytimes.com/2006/04/24/world/americas/24iht-web.0424hitlers.html

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Some grand-nephews in the Long Island area, one was an IRS agent.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/12936-special-agent-howard-r-stuart-houston

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

That's all actually quite interesting. I've kind of wondered that myself a few times. I mean, why couldn't they just change the last name by a few letters to something totally benign, like maybe Himler? I dunno just a thought.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

It's not really a pain if you do some basic calculations to either narrow down what you need to buy, or how you need to dilute it. You have something like a 6% threshold around the sweet-spot of the PH value, so it's not hard to gently caress up.

And I wouldn't even call it "worth it", because it should be a necessity for the recipe of proper pretzels, not something that's optional. I've seen the atrocities wrought upon pretzels in the USA, and shortcuts or alterations to the original recipe should be punishable by death.

I've succeeded once so far in not loving up making pretzels and it was when I used some left over sourdough and did it just to gently caress around and experiment. It was loving delicious though.

Sourdough is also an enormous pain in the rear end to work with

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Blind Rasputin posted:

That's all actually quite interesting. I've kind of wondered that myself a few times. I mean, why couldn't they just change the last name by a few letters to something totally benign, like maybe Himler? I dunno just a thought.

How about 'Smith'.

Like 9 million other German immigrants.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Well the story of the Hitler name is a strange and short one. Alois, Adolf's father, adopted his stepfather Johannes Heidler's surname late in his thirties but spelled it differently as Hitler for reasons unknown. It's quite possible Adolf, his parents and siblings, and their descendants were the only Hitlers ever to exist.

Anyone further removed in the family tree would still be a Schicklgruber.

Also RE: pretzelchat the most important thing is getting your hands on dry malt extract. Homebrew stores are ideal but malted milk powder can work if you remember to hold back a little bit of flour. I go for about three tablespoons.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 23, 2017

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Blind Rasputin posted:

lol

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/politico/status/867121312858353664

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Of this, too, shall come naught.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I wonder how Hannity is taking Fox retracting the Seth Rich story

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/867122831800324096

Not well, it would seem

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

quote:

Prime Minister Theresa May announced Tuesday night that the UK has raised its threat level to "critical" -- the highest level -- for the first time in a decade. The level suggests intelligence services believe an attack is "imminent."

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I hope the family sues him for defamation. O'Reilly is a piece of poo poo but he never lashed himself to Trump like Sean "Promised to get waterboarded 8 years ago" Hannity.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I love how the worst people at fox are an australian and a brit. the gently caress did we even have a revolutionary war for

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Pesticide20 posted:

I wonder how Hannity is taking Fox retracting the Seth Rich story

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/867122831800324096

Not well, it would seem

Yeah he definitely nailed it on Obama's radicalism :confused:

And lol at the "Russian narrative hanging by a thread"

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

quote:

Prime Minister Theresa May announced Tuesday night that the UK has raised its threat level to "critical" -- the highest level -- for the first time in a decade. The level suggests intelligence services believe an attack is "imminent."

This seems ... late?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

In other news Hassan Rouhani gets to keep being President of Iran. In a sense the Persians did better than us in rejecting insanity.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Sounds like a lot of moderates/reformers in the lower elections in Iran too. Hopefully it works out for them.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Casimir Radon posted:

I hope the family sues him for defamation. O'Reilly is a piece of poo poo but he never lashed himself to Trump like Sean "Promised to get waterboarded 8 years ago" Hannity.

As a rule in the United States you can't sue over defaming the dead. Granted I haven't been following this, so I don't know if Hannity went off about living people too.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Blind Rasputin posted:

How about Hilter?

MazelTovCocktail posted:

As a rule in the United States you can't sue over defaming the dead. Granted I haven't been following this, so I don't know if Hannity went off about living people too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intentional_infliction_of_emotional_distress
(not saying it would be successful, just what it could be filed as)

joat mon fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 23, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The poo poo I don't get is why in the gently caress is the US allies with the House of Saud instead of Iran? Like, why in the gently caress would you become buddies with arguably the worst bunch of fuckheads in the gulf and burn your bridges with Iran? There's a lot of poo poo the US can do and could have done to normalize relations with Iran but lmao no we're gonna stick with the Sauds even though their ogliarchs have kicked off most of the islamic terrorist groups in existence.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

In response, the home office is enacting emergency plan "Barn Door".

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
As long as there's pretzel chat the world is probably not blowing up faster than usual. Carry on.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

orange juche posted:

The poo poo I don't get is why in the gently caress is the US allies with the House of Saud instead of Iran? Like, why in the gently caress would you become buddies with arguably the worst bunch of fuckheads in the gulf and burn your bridges with Iran? There's a lot of poo poo the US can do and could have done to normalize relations with Iran but lmao no we're gonna stick with the Sauds even though their ogliarchs have kicked off most of the islamic terrorist groups in existence.

We were. But the guy in charge we were buddies with was an rear end in a top hat.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Normalizing relations with Iran would admit that we once again backed a pretty colossal rear end in a top hat and got what was coming to us wrt the Iranian Revolution and as we all know its un-American as gently caress to admit you are wrong. Also, the Axis of Evil speech re-burned our bridges with Iran, who until that time had kinda been helping us on the down low

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

orange juche posted:

Caveats included the past two election cycles have proven that Iran has a lot more chance of changing than Saudi Arabia will barring something incredibly drastic. 2009 too if the Imams hadn't interfered. Behind a lot of government window dressing your average Iranian is sick of the bullshit and wants better. What they want doesn't entirely align with our interests but far more than with the Sauds.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The Saudis will never want change because they have such strong cultural control.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Reverand maynard posted:

The Saudis will never want change because they have such strong cultural control.
Iranians can remember before things got super hosed up, the Saudis don't have that benefit. Just for fun here's an example of the kind of pop music that was popular in pre-revolution Iran. It's a Dolly Parton cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

Iranians can remember before things got super hosed up, the Saudis don't have that benefit. Just for fun here's an example of the kind of pop music that was popular in pre-revolution Iran. It's a Dolly Parton cover.

Where would you rate Persian women on the scale of hotness? They're definitely way up there imo.

• Locked thread