Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Why? Why on earth would they include engine production separate from airframe production?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Flavius Belisarius posted:

Why? Why on earth would they include engine production separate from airframe production?

Strategic bombing is a major factor - this way the Allies can get lucky and shut down several models of aircraft by damaging the engine production, and the Empire can reallocate production to compensate.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
G4M's should be using the Mitsubishi Ha-32 engines, of which you only have 13 in your pool; enough for 6 aircraft.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Jobbo_Fett posted:

G4M's should be using the Mitsubishi Ha-32 engines, of which you only have 13 in your pool; enough for 6 aircraft.

The spare can be shared between them.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Gnoman posted:

Strategic bombing is a major factor - this way the Allies can get lucky and shut down several models of aircraft by damaging the engine production, and the Empire can reallocate production to compensate.

Its much more about the fact that Japan had a hard time developing "proper" and good aero engines, due to a combined lack of special materials, capable workforce, inter-service cooperation, and overall industrial output.

If you look at late-war examples, its clear that the Japanese could create engines with thousands of horsepower, but they also generally suffered from a lack of high-altitude capability. The lack of rarer and high quality metals meant that they couldn't build engines that had higher tolerances for heat such as those of the Americans.

And its a grog game.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

And its a grog game.

This is actually the only correct answer. This is a game that makes you manage airframes separately from engines... but abstracts all non-oil supplies into "supplies" and generates hundreds of thousands of troops from specific cities, even of those cities are literally surrounded and besieged. The logistics engine is hugely inconsistent in where it chooses to be detailed vs. abstracted, which is entirely typical of grog games.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

18 May 1943

German minesweeper M.345, sunk during the night by RAF Beaufighters off Gravelines.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

With combat that one-sided, they really ought to allow you to board and capture the ships. :pirate:

Trogilus
Nov 3, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

I have nearly twice the US score at the moment. Once the troops in China are freed up, I can try and take Namou, which will get us there with the total shift - Efate will add a few hundred more points when I go after that - the question then is if I go after Fiji or Australia.

I'm still having issues with my plane production that may well loose me the war - no matter how many betties the game says I produce a month, I never seem to see a rise in the number on the field. I can't edit the paths of upgrades and I'm doing my best with the others - I'm still learning the Japanese production in some ways, but I never wanted it to be an ahistorical finely tuned machine. I'm just worried that I can't get enough of the killer torpedo planes out, even though I'm not losing any at the moment!

Came across this in the Matrix forum today and thought of you Grey. Maybe this is why you can't upgrade some of your squadrons?

some grog posted:

Air units which are not scheduled to withdraw can be manually upgraded if there is 1 airframe in the pools. Units which are scheduled to withdraw can only be manually upgraded if the full TOE complement in airframes are in the pool. For automatic upgrades the full complement is necessary to be in the pool for both PDU OFF and PDU ON.

Regarding Fiji or Australia, it seems like you are vulnerable to the Allies bypassing your position in the South Pacific by supplying Australia through Cape Town and Aden, which just opened. If they can do that they can strike your resource centers in the DEI and wreck your economy. Do you already hold Darwin? If your goal is to prevent the Allies from using Australia as a base to invade your empire from the south you should take Darwin and maybe Perth. This would deny them to the Allies and add depth to your defense of the DEI. Fiji doesn't give you anything because they can route convoys around it or supply Australia from the west.

If your goal is to score victory points then that might be backwards. I don't know how much the bases are worth.

e: haha, I just searched the thread and found the failed Darwin invasion of November '42. Disregard my question about Darwin.

Trogilus fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 19, 2017

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

He can totally take Darwin if he just lands one hex away from it though, landing directly in the city is pretty much the only thing that killed him last time.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

RZApublican posted:

He can totally take Darwin if he just lands one hex away from it though, landing directly in the city is pretty much the only thing that killed him last time.

"Grey attempts a naval gunfight with a continent." and "Grey destroys the entire USN CV fleet." are the extremes of bumbling and incredible brilliance I tune in for, though.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

RZApublican posted:

You're no fun. :(

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

RZApublican posted:

Dieppe Raid with Battleships.

Trogilus
Nov 3, 2012
Take Darwin.

You don't need to land in a neighboring hex. Just do a proper invasion. Base bombers at Koepang. Fly recon out of Merauke or Timor and get your detection level up on Darwin. Base a DMS squadron somewhere nearby and sweep for mines at night. Move AKEs to support sustained bombardment. Bombard with BBs from 5k+ yards and if you don't take too much damage work them closer the next night. Strike Darwin with the KB and then land.

It will be awesome.

Trogilus fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 19, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Actually ignore Darwin and hit Perth they won't be expecting it! Or even better Auckland, I am pretty sure the entire NZ army is dead at this point.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Concentrate your fire!

Oh for the love of....

This is a effective bombing run!

Thank the Emperor for the boys in Burma.

Now this is interesting, we took a base.

I don't remember sending these guys marching north, but it would have been months ago during my (more) sleep addled phase. But they just took a base with level 3 forts!

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Onwards to Chengtu!

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011
This has me curious. How is the rest of China looking? Notably, the north - there are a few bases with oil/refinery production points up there (Lanchow in particular) that you'd do well to pick up if you haven't already. Also, do you have enough spare AV on hand to send to Chengtu to see how well defended it actually is? Removing its production would be a huge win. Finally, most of those remote bases up in the desert are also worth a fair number of victory points if you build them up.

If you want to feel a bit better about those bombers, you might check the Aircraft Losses screen and sort by operational losses. I would expect at least some of those damaged planes get written off. The allies only get 33 replacement B-24D1s/month, so if they're losing more than 1/day, you're still outpacing production.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Curse all Dutch subs.

Just one? I'm disappointed.

Grumble, grumble, broad side of a barn.

Another day of losing fighters to bombers.

Bloody Dutch subs.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

20 May 1943

British minesweeper Fantôme, stern blown off by mine off Cape Bon, written off as a total constructive loss.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

20 May 1943

British minesweeper Fantôme, stern blown off by mine off Cape Bon, written off as a total constructive loss.

Great job there boys

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Slippery42 posted:

If you want to feel a bit better about those bombers, you might check the Aircraft Losses screen and sort by operational losses. I would expect at least some of those damaged planes get written off. The allies only get 33 replacement B-24D1s/month, so if they're losing more than 1/day, you're still outpacing production.

Remember though replacement numbers don't matter for the AI, they get more planes.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

bunnyofdoom posted:

Great job there boys

The good news: we found some mines.
The bad news: the mines found us first.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Every ship can be a minesweeper.

...Once.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

For a second I thought that ship reported sunk at the very end of Grey's last update was the famous Windrush that brought the first major wave of Jamaican immigrants to the UK just after ww2, appears to be a different ship though.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Curse their sniper planes.

The Liberators keep on coming.

Get off my rail line!

At least our plane losses have slowed.

Unlucky buggers.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Liberators be Liberatin'

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Is there an average chance that a damaged Liberator crashes on the way home?

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Is there an average chance that a damaged Liberator crashes on the way home?

Yes, damaged planes have a higher chance of not returning or crashing on landing. They become "Operational Losses" in the Strategic Report/Intelligence screen.
But we don't know if yesterdays 2 allied ops losses are 4e bombers or single engine fighters.

But you'll always suffer some ops losses, even if all planes are undamaged. WWII planes be crashing all on their own quite a lot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equipment_losses_in_World_War_II#Air posted:

China: Total losses of the Nationalist Air Force were 2,468 (According to Chinese and Taiwanese Sources).

Finland: Reported losses during the Winter War totaled 67, of which 42 were operational, while 536 aircraft were lost during the Continuation War, of which 209 were operational losses (137 fighters, 51 bombers and 21 other). 327 aircraft were disabled ("attrition", too old, non-combat accidents) (Overall 603).[1]

France: From the beginning of the war until the cease-fire in 1940, 892 aircraft were lost, of which 413 were in action and 234 were on the ground. Losses included 508 fighters and 218 bombers.(Overall 892)[1]

Germany: Estimated total number of destroyed and damaged for the war totaled 76,875 aircraft, of which 40,000 were total losses and the remainder significantly damaged. By type, losses totaled 21,452 fighters, 12,037 bombers, 15,428 trainers, 10,221 twin-engine fighters, 5,548 ground attack, 6,733 reconnaissance, and 6,141 transports.[1]

Italy: Total losses were 5,272 aircraft, of which 3,269 were lost in combat.

Japan: Estimates vary from 35,000 to 50,000 total losses, with about 20,000 lost operationally.[2]

Netherlands: Total losses were 81 aircraft during the May, 1940 campaign.[2]

Poland: Total losses were 398 lost, 112 flew to then neutral Romania, 286 destroyed, 1 missing, unaccounted for, including 116 fighters, 112 dive bombers, 81 reconnaissance aircraft, 36 bombers, 21 sea planes, and 9 transports. The Polish Air Force evacuated 1 day after the Soviet Invasion of Poland, September 18, 1939. However, some trainer aircraft kept on flying as scout planes. The last two were grounded on October 2, 1939 by the order of General Franciszek Kleeberg. The losses after the evacuation are not known (September 19-October 2, 1939).[2]

Soviet Union: Total losses were 17,900 bombers, 23,600 ground attacker, 46,800 fighter aircraft, and 18,100 training, transport and other aircraft; an overall loss of over 106,400 domestic produced aircraft; 46,100 in combat and 60,300 non-combat. Additionally, 18,300 Land-Lease aircraft were lost; a grand total of 124,700 aircraft. Grigori F. Krivosheev states: "A high percentage of combat aircraft were lost in relation to the number available on 22 June 1941: 442% (total losses) or 216% (combat losses). In the air force over a half of losses were non-combat losses."[3]

United Kingdom: Europe 42,010 (including 30,045 fighters and 11,965 bombers)[2]
Australia, Pacific and South East Asia: 250 [4]

United States: Total losses were nearly 95,000, including 52,951 operational losses (38,418 in Europe and 14,533 in the Pacific).[2]

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Curses! A troop ship!

Do you know how much those planes cost?

Do you think they grow on trees.

We finally get some revenge.

Enemy bombers are getting more and more deadly. I think I'm going to hate to see their fighters.

drat, that must have been an old wound.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You know you're a day behind, right? Just asking, no pressure

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

Leperflesh posted:

You know you're a day behind, right? Just asking, no pressure

Posts are coming out on date for me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh, I see: the date in the leading banner is wrong, but the end of the post intelligence report says may 23rd.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I used to get confused about the schedule but then I switched to night shift and now all of Grey's updates are on time. You guys should try it!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Leperflesh posted:

Oh, I see: the date in the leading banner is wrong, but the end of the post intelligence report says may 23rd.

The intelligence report is always a day ahead, because it reports on the previous day. It can't tell you how the day's turn played out, since it hasn't yet.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh, right OK in that case yeah, today is May 23rd, except for places on Earth where it's already May 24th (which include the UK as of this post), but Grey just posted the update for May 22nd.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Grey is posting on Hawaii time atm, it happens.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Leperflesh posted:

Oh, right OK in that case yeah, today is May 23rd, except for places on Earth where it's already May 24th (which include the UK as of this post), but Grey just posted the update for May 22nd.

Grey posted the update for May 22nd on May 22nd, 23:26 EST, sometimes he posts late :shrug:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Here we go again!

Erm... Here we go again!

Dammit! I should not have mentioned enemy fighters yesterday!

I swear the AI reads this thread sometimes.

Okay, their planes can go home now.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Grey posted the update for May 22nd on May 22nd, 23:26 EST, sometimes he posts late :shrug:

Its still the 23rd in hawaii!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They got p40s in range?