Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Failboattootoot posted:

Sidenote, I've been having some minor problems with mudras since the server moved. Nothing really major but I've botched more mudras since the move than I had in the last few months so the highlight of new nin being a mudra combo machine was a bit less exciting to me than it otherwise would have been.
My ping halved after the server move (~150 to ~75) and I've been amazed at how, all of a sudden, off-GCD heavy classes like NIN are actually playable. I could handle mudras before, but they're effortless now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

My ping halved after the server move (~150 to ~75) and I've been amazed at how, all of a sudden, off-GCD heavy classes like NIN are actually playable. I could handle mudras before, but they're effortless now!

That's the thing that gets me, my ping is more or less the same so it's weird to me that I've been dropping mudras.

Anecodtally, nin does seem to be pretty abandoned at least in terms of pre-release hype. Saw some strawpoll on which job won the live letter show and nin was dead last with 14 votes (top was summoner with 607). The nin posts on reddit and the OF both got like, 4ish comments.

Edit: Just saw that from now on shadowfang will apply both the dot and the slashing debuff. That's a change that I expected but it's implementation is a little boring since shadowfang is now the third hit in the combo. Which, assuming aeolian edge still exists, means ive got 3 different 3 hit combos. But all 3 combos go spinning slash > gust slash > ender and that's kinda dull.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 24, 2017

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I main NIN and plan to continue doing so, but no way was a little glowing circle going to match up to literally Bahamut. I didn't think anything else in the entire video was as cool as that poo poo. Even SAM and I'm actually really hype to add that one to my list.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I hope DRG continues its trend of being really easy to play on a training dummy but requiring split-second decisions on how to modify your rotation when you don't maintain 100% uptime

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

SonicRulez posted:

I main NIN and plan to continue doing so, but no way was a little glowing circle going to match up to literally Bahamut. I didn't think anything else in the entire video was as cool as that poo poo. Even SAM and I'm actually really hype to add that one to my list.

Bahamut was one of the lamest things they showed and I am grousing heavily at them caving in to the dweebs who want to clutter up an already cluttered field with giant static nonentities. :colbert:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Failboattootoot posted:

Bahamut was one of the lamest things they showed and I am grousing heavily at them caving in to the dweebs who want to clutter up an already cluttered field with giant static nonentities. :colbert:

wow this is the wrongest opinion I have ever seen in this thread, including OF reposts

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Summoner getting a lot of hype amuses me just cause not much actually was shown off for summoner other than summoning Bahamut, which is indeed the best and I am very hyped to draw on more forbidden magics. That said, other than Bahamut, its part in the video just looked like updated animations for the standard rotation, based off the sound effects/aetherflow usage, with only miasma conspicuously missing. I do like the laser spell which sounds a lot like energy drain. Curious how they changed ruin 1/2/3 as well considering the skill consolidation.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

wow this is the wrongest opinion I have ever seen in this thread, including OF reposts

Hmmm yes a 4ish second cast time translucent blue ghost bahamut that lets you cast a slightly prettier ruin and then does an ability you've already got is definitely the hottest thing.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Failboattootoot posted:

It's okay to have bad opinions. It happens to all of us every once in a while.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Failboattootoot posted:

Hmmm yes a 4ish second cast time translucent blue ghost bahamut that lets you cast a slightly prettier ruin and then does an ability you've already got is definitely the hottest thing.

Please allow yourself to feel joy again.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Yooooo any word on if you get cheevos still if you use a lvl 60 booster? Same goes for story quests. I have the latter done and most of my classes are 60 but just curious.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Allarion posted:

Summoner getting a lot of hype amuses me just cause not much actually was shown off for summoner other than summoning Bahamut, which is indeed the best and I am very hyped to draw on more forbidden magics. That said, other than Bahamut, its part in the video just looked like updated animations for the standard rotation, based off the sound effects/aetherflow usage, with only miasma conspicuously missing. I do like the laser spell which sounds a lot like energy drain. Curious how they changed ruin 1/2/3 as well considering the skill consolidation.
They have a cool looking gauge, and that's enough for me

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Truga posted:

I was getting a super unstable connection from europe earlier. Mudfish works great, but it only accepts paypal, and paypal decided to ban me when I tried using it to pay for VR so I can't use that :negative:

If you use Android you can install their app, sign in to it and pay via Google Wallet.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

ImpAtom posted:

Scholar can probably do without Refresh since they'll presumably still have their other options. I guess maybe Ast can Ewer but that would depend on them fixing the Balance problem.

Well the main use for me for the Refresh skill has always been "Ate a stupid death and have no mana" which is independent of class. Sch has some mitgation of that but if your Aetherflow's on CD you're still stuck waiting.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Is there any place where housing isn't insanely overcrowded and the only way to get a house is to buy it from some dude

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Grondoth posted:

Is there any place where housing isn't insanely overcrowded and the only way to get a house is to buy it from some dude

no? there's a finite amount and new housing hasn't been added in like seven patches. your best bet is to wait for SB housing.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Grondoth posted:

Apartments and FC rooms are your only alternative if you absolutely must have some place to get your inner decorator feng shui on.

For outdoor remodeling though you're SOL.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
low pop servers have housing available but then you're on a low pop server all alone, just you and your house.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

mistaya posted:

Protect is kind of a holdover skill. I'm a little confused about having 5 competing slots for cross-class(role?) but more than 5 skills that seem... kinda required?

Swiftcast, Protect, the Refresh skill, Esuna are all just required healer skills and I don't see myself not taking any of those at any time. So you get one slot for whatever flavor skill you like most, which is kind of lame. Personally I'm not a huge fan of yoinks or whatever so I'll probably take E4E on harder content unless the DS recolor is better. CS for 4-mans or farm content.

I think you'll find that these abilities aren't as mandatory as you think they are. Seriously, how often do you need Esuna? And I mean really necessary, not just kind of useful. How many times would you wipe if you didn't have it? Certainly not every single fight in the game.

The whole point of this new system is to make you think about what you're going to need and not need for each fight.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

You don't need it until you do, and then you remember halfway into the fight that "Oh yeah I need to be cleansing Doom's off people, OOPS" (start the raise chain and the fight takes an extra 5 minutes.)

Seriously being able to un-equip or forget to equip your debuff cleanse is the dumbest loving idea. It will almost certainly contribute to party finder wipes in Stormblood.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Corn Dog Fountain posted:

I'm looking to make an armoured Bard glamour with the Gordian Corselet of Aiming. Any cool armour-ish recommendations for head, arms and feet? is that ffxi cross-over armour dyable?

You can't dye the FFXI cross-over stuff. You could always go with replica Allagan stuff for armorbard. The pieces drop from Palace so they're pretty cheap on the MB these days and you can dye those.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

A Spider Covets posted:

Yooooo any word on if you get cheevos still if you use a lvl 60 booster? Same goes for story quests. I have the latter done and most of my classes are 60 but just curious.

I sure hope not. Why should you get the achievements for not playing?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Fister Roboto posted:

I think you'll find that these abilities aren't as mandatory as you think they are. Seriously, how often do you need Esuna? And I mean really necessary, not just kind of useful. How many times would you wipe if you didn't have it? Certainly not every single fight in the game.

The whole point of this new system is to make you think about what you're going to need and not need for each fight.

The most important thing to note is that rescue is probably going to end up being garbage unless you're doing a specific gimmick with a black mage friend to increase their dps. Everyone thought leap of faith was going to change the healer game in cataclysm in wow and it ended up being essentially worthless outside of organized groups. If some pubbie wants to stand in the fire and die, they will do so, and all your rescue does is delay that basically once per fight until they find something else to die to. Swiftcast is already basically rescue, just with a shorter cooldown and more utility if people aren't stupid.

Mandatories will probably be dependant on the content, but I wouldn't leave home without swiftcast or protect. Esuna will be situationally mandatory, depending on the inside dungeon restrictions and shroud of saints will probably be necessary for white mage and AST if it replaces what they already have. If scholar still has aetherflow then they can make a languid jerkoff motion at it. If WHM can turn flowers into mana then all bets are off. Cleric stance will probably be an auto-include, but that depends on how big it is for burst phases.

Also lol surecast.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Surecast makes you immune to knockback, stuns and silence apparently. I could see a bit more use for it.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Hello I was behind by three pages.

Protect would be neat as a damage reduction CD that you cast on other people.

The reason a lot of people get the math on wrong with Foresight is because they look at the absolute change in mitigation (which is ~6% or so I think at current gear levels?) instead of the relative change in mitigation, which is much higher and also the one that is comparable directly to other defensive cooldowns. A lot of people are just shite at basic math and logic.

RE: PLD losing stoneskin, uh, I don't think we've seen any evidence that stoneskin still exists in the post 4.0 world, have we? It was missing from hotbars at least, and it sounded like WHM's new flower spender was a water-based barrier spell.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Leofish posted:

You can't dye the FFXI cross-over stuff. You could always go with replica Allagan stuff for armorbard. The pieces drop from Palace so they're pretty cheap on the MB these days and you can dye those.

Wait, there is FFXI crossover stuff? Where? [edit] Oh, its Iroha's outfit... bleh, boring.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Failboattootoot posted:

It's hard to say. They didn't show off anything for nin that actually looks particularly good or cool. What was shown of Samurai looks to be both flashier and weebier and those are 2 traits I am always looking for in this catgirl simulator. So I am definitely currently in the boat of feeling like I'm going to main switch from nin to samurai. But my opinion might change once the rubber hits the road and I am staring down grinding through 10 levels of heavensward. Or I spend an hour with Sam and it turns out their move set doesn't mesh with me.

Sidenote, I've been having some minor problems with mudras since the server moved. Nothing really major but I've botched more mudras since the move than I had in the last few months so the highlight of new nin being a mudra combo machine was a bit less exciting to me than it otherwise would have been.

I think the mudra thing that was demonstrated looked cool. If I understood it correctly, a used mudra wasn't consumed on use, which was how the demo was able to do Jin -> Ninjutsu -> Ten -> Ninjutsu -> Chi -> Ninjutsu and get Shuriken, Katon, Raiton, instead of... Shuriken Shuriken Shuriken.

And froggy!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I think the mudra thing that was demonstrated looked cool. If I understood it correctly, a used mudra wasn't consumed on use, which was how the demo was able to do Jin -> Ninjutsu -> Ten -> Ninjutsu -> Chi -> Ninjutsu and get Shuriken, Katon, Raiton, instead of... Shuriken Shuriken Shuriken.

Triple shuriken would be preferable tbh. As it is you're looking at taking up 4.5 secodns if you are absolutely flawless to do 780 potency and that's good but it's also really fiddly and goes in the shitter the second you fat finger it or lag.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

And froggy!

wouldn't this make the highest possible combination fuma > katon > doton if trick attack isn't up

single target doton was correct all along

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm sorry, I was wrong. It wasn't Shuriken Katon Raiton, it was Shuriken Raiton Suiton. Which I think is far preferable, because it leads into TA.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Failboattootoot posted:

It's hard to say. They didn't show off anything for nin that actually looks particularly good or cool. What was shown of Samurai looks to be both flashier and weebier and those are 2 traits I am always looking for in this catgirl simulator. So I am definitely currently in the boat of feeling like I'm going to main switch from nin to samurai. But my opinion might change once the rubber hits the road and I am staring down grinding through 10 levels of heavensward. Or I spend an hour with Sam and it turns out their move set doesn't mesh with me.

Doesn't like Bahamut Egi AND doesn't like fire breathing frog magic.

What is it like to be literally impervious to good and cool things jesus christ.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

slev posted:

wouldn't this make the highest possible combination fuma > katon > doton if trick attack isn't up

single target doton was correct all along

Naw that's 710 potency.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Doesn't like Bahamut Egi AND doesn't like fire breathing frog magic.

What is it like to be literally impervious to good and cool things jesus christ.

The frog is cool but it will take more than a glorified katon to impress me.

Edit: This is unfair to the frog I guess. For all I know he puts a debuff on enemies that lets me trick attack them without putting trick attack on cooldown which would let me trick attack everything in a big pull between death blossoms and that would be the most sicknasty thing and I would stay nin forever. But it LOOKS like a katon.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 24, 2017

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Bahamut is overrated. Yeah I said it.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

As long as it doesn't make solo content like levelling up a pain in the arse, the Cleric Stance thing is good, even if it's an overall nerf to healer DPS.

I realize not everyone sees it this way, but there's no way in hell my first level to SB is going to be a healer or a tank. I'm going to ride MSQ experience to a leveled dps, then I'm just going to enjoy my drat near instant queue times on my healer/tank jobs to dungeon my way up for those. POTD grinding just isn't fun.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Velthice posted:

low pop servers have housing available but then you're on a low pop server all alone, just you and your house.

Ugh, not really. Just all smalls.

Why do they have to put poo poo in houses(airships! GARDENING!) and then make it so goddamn hard to get houses

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Airships and gardening are both pretty overrated, tbh.

"Oh sweet I get to lay down fertilizer x9 every hour now, on top of having to remember to water my crops! In between that I get to send out a retainer clone, only it's more of a pain in the rear end to gear up"

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
You need to be in an FC in order to get the workshop and Airships anyway.

Gardening is handy for getting some things an alternate way, but you can stick a few flower pots in a room and get most of the benefits that way.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm going to get the demo/trial soon, are the base game and expansions separate purchases? Do I need to buy each expansion or just the (upcoming) latest one?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

I'm going to get the demo/trial soon, are the base game and expansions separate purchases? Do I need to buy each expansion or just the (upcoming) latest one?
Stormblood will include Heavensward, but not the base game. There's a "Final Fantasy 14 Online" compilation that includes everything and on the 20th a new version of that will be released to include Stormblood.

Depending on how much you intend on playing this month you will probably be fine with just playing the trial and/or ARR and then just picking up both the expansions at the same time later on, the majority of the content in them you won't be able to touch without progressing through the story anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So with the cross class stuff did they mention what enmity reduction skill monks get?

Scrublord Prime posted:

So I'm gonna resub before SB so that I can catch up on HW and at least get on the starting line. I burnt out early in 3.4 (and really I plodded along in 3.2 and 3.3) so all my gear and ilvs are basically a mess. I've got two questions while I put together a gameplan: What's the minimum ilv to hit the end of HW? It looks like it's ilv230 for Baelsar's Wall unless I'm missing some later instanced content. Second is ways to get weapons. Getting something to replace a 210-250 weapon wouldn't be bad, so here's what I know:

ilv270 Tomestone weapon for 1000 capped tomestones and 8 runs of A12 which is probably the best way right now?

Honestly? Either get an i270 via tomestones (or a 275 via a12s carries) or don't bother. Same goes for any armor or accessories. When Heavensward came out you could immediately buy/craft i115 gear and I imagine the same is going to happen with Stormblood. You'll be able to buy/craft new i250-260 gear easily to update any spots where you're still equipped with now vastly out of date gear.

Getting something like an i235 weapon would almost certainly be immediately replaced with even NQ vendor gear in Stormblood.

cheetah7071 posted:

Normally I might agree with you, but in this case you're posting right after a truly awful Protect argument.

• Locked thread