Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Buy your wife the Mercedes benz she deserves

InitialDave posted:

Buy a $500 shed for her to drive until she gets better at the whole "car" thing?
$500 Merc it is.

How is she with peeling, discoloured window tint and the persistent smell of wet dog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

There's a restaurant/entertainment venue named Shenanigans in the next city.

Where's Farva?!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

InitialDave posted:

$500 Merc it is.

How is she with peeling, discoloured window tint and the persistent smell of wet dog?

She bitched and moaned about driving her old explorer that she treated like her personal dumpster and that now she can't find the title for. drat new for 2016 LED tail light can't find except used and cracked for $150-200. Geez.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Wait till you see the price toyota dealers ask for parts. Your best bet is to just resign yourself to letting it deteriorate and then paying your insurance deductible and getting it fixed before you sell it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Some people can't have nice things...

My wife does treat the inside of her cr-v like a dumpster, but fortunately she takes care of the outside, and I guess it's nothing that 30 minutes and a shop vac can't fix. ...And an at-fault little wreck knocked the new off when it was two months old, so gently caress it doesn't bother me (new front bumper cover and fogs).

If it makes it another 7 years, it'll be the oldest kid's first car. If it survives that, it'll go to the youngest 5 years later.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

rdb posted:

Wait till you see the price toyota dealers ask for parts. Your best bet is to just resign yourself to letting it deteriorate and then paying your insurance deductible and getting it fixed before you sell it.

I have a low deductible and full coverage on this paid off car would they fix the paint fuckup too? I'm not used to dealing with insurance for something we're at fault for. I'm just thinking about finding a tail light and realigning and popping out bumper best I can.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

angryrobots posted:

Some people can't have nice things...

My wife does treat the inside of her cr-v like a dumpster, but fortunately she takes care of the outside, and I guess it's nothing that 30 minutes and a shop vac can't fix. ...And an at-fault little wreck knocked the new off when it was two months old, so gently caress it doesn't bother me (new front bumper cover and fogs).

If it makes it another 7 years, it'll be the oldest kid's first car. If it survives that, it'll go to the youngest 5 years later.

Kind of the same here, for my wife's Kia Spectra5, though the minor accident was actually her fault in our case. She takes it to be cleaned up every couple of months or so at the local Simoniz car wash.
It helps that she picked it out, including emailing all the local dealers for best price before we went to go look at one. It's a 2008, so it's made it almost 10 years so far. 2 clutches, 1 transmission (warranteed), and one AC compressor are the only major work, and none of those were her fault. Looks like it's going to need struts and bushings, though. It's getting a little squishy and weird in the handling. And the clear coat is peeling on the painted plastic bits - door handles, mirrors, and hatch wing. But not on the actual body, thank god.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

everdave posted:

I have a low deductible and full coverage on this paid off car would they fix the paint fuckup too? I'm not used to dealing with insurance for something we're at fault for. I'm just thinking about finding a tail light and realigning and popping out bumper best I can.

They would make it look new. At least that corner, anyway.

But your rates will probably go up for a couple of years unless you have some kind of accident forgiveness rider. I'd take it to a reputable body shop and get an estimate; most will do a free estimate. If it's something you can afford vs making an insurance claim, pay for it out of pocket (or get a used light and pop the dent out yourself).

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

everdave posted:

I'd almost leave it for a few months as a reminder.
Not sure on the paint - most likely varies with insurance company.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have progressive, I am way overinsured 3 vehicles paid off all have full coverage with 50-500 deductible (highest for new car). Should I use insurance or am I loving myself? I can pay anything out of pocket but why do I pay 1200 a year insurance? Or do I just say gently caress it leave it wrecked.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My mother in law has slowly destroyed her HHR over the years, we just never bothered to get all the dents and scratches fixed because why bother.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My mother in law has slowly destroyed her HHR over the years, we just never bothered to get all the dents and scratches fixed because why bother.

I understand this thinking, it's just man this is a brand new freaking car. Yes I know it's just a Prius but I enjoyed driving it solo to a funeral last week and being in a new car. Now it's already looking like poo poo. Tried to do something nice. I don't know what to do.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

everdave posted:

I have progressive, I am way overinsured 3 vehicles paid off all have full coverage with 50-500 deductible (highest for new car). Should I use insurance or am I loving myself? I can pay anything out of pocket but why do I pay 1200 a year insurance? Or do I just say gently caress it leave it wrecked.

Also curious about this. Wife's car got hit when she was parked somewhere and I want to get it fixed but not sure to go through insurance or not.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I hear you, and it was the same thing with the HHR, it was only about a year old when we got it for her, and the next five years it aged 20 because she just drives it and that's it. I gave up trying to keep it clean and decided just not to care anymore. It wasn't brand new when she got it but pretty drat close and it's a POS now that isn't worth poo poo. Part of that is because it's an HHR but oh well, just kind of regret spending the money on a "nice" car for her when a $3k Camry would have been fine.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

If the repair is going to be expensive, then yes absolutely go through insurance. It's what you pay for!

If they jack your rates unacceptably, go insurance shopping. I guess if you have a tight budget, and home/car/etc is all together it can be difficult to switch insurers, but being able to jump ship is the best tool in your pocket. New policy = best rate.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

everdave posted:

I understand this thinking, it's just man this is a brand new freaking car. Yes I know it's just a Prius but I enjoyed driving it solo to a funeral last week and being in a new car. Now it's already looking like poo poo. Tried to do something nice. I don't know what to do.

Just chill and let it go. Or stop driving it.

That taillight is probably $600 by itself.

The first new car I bought was a 2009 cobalt SS turbo. It got rear ended at night 2 weeks after I bought it and I didn't see the damage. The lady who did it gave me false information. I just let it go and moved on.

I have a 2013 Prius C. I had it 6 months and took it through a car wash. The attendant got too close to the front bumper cover and took some paint off. Of course they wouldn't own up to it the next day when I noticed. Last year I backed into some trailer ramps and mauled up the rear bumper. And this year it got backed into and the drivers door smashed up. Since the door wouldn't open we got it all fixed($3200ish).

I warned my wife not to let bugs and bird poo poo sit on the fresh paint. It got fixed in march and just got its first wash yesterday. Guess what the paint looks like?

My point is, if you drive the car it's going to happen. If someone else drives the car, especially if they aren't writing checks for it, it's going to happen even more often. You can either live with it, pay the price to fix it, or stop buying new cars. And don't put it down because it's a Prius. Mine has been hands down the best vehicle purchase I have ever made. No, it's not exciting, but it's not supposed to be. What it's supposed to do is get you there reliability, comfortably, and using the least amount of resources. It excels at all three.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

rdb posted:

Just chill and let it go. Or stop driving it.

That taillight is probably $600 by itself.

The first new car I bought was a 2009 cobalt SS turbo. It got rear ended at night 2 weeks after I bought it and I didn't see the damage. The lady who did it gave me false information. I just let it go and moved on.

I have a 2013 Prius C. I had it 6 months and took it through a car wash. The attendant got too close to the front bumper cover and took some paint off. Of course they wouldn't own up to it the next day when I noticed. Last year I backed into some trailer ramps and mauled up the rear bumper. And this year it got backed into and the drivers door smashed up. Since the door wouldn't open we got it all fixed($3200ish).

I warned my wife not to let bugs and bird poo poo sit on the fresh paint. It got fixed in march and just got its first wash yesterday. Guess what the paint looks like?

My point is, if you drive the car it's going to happen. If someone else drives the car, especially if they aren't writing checks for it, it's going to happen even more often. You can either live with it, pay the price to fix it, or stop buying new cars. And don't put it down because it's a Prius. Mine has been hands down the best vehicle purchase I have ever made. No, it's not exciting, but it's not supposed to be. What it's supposed to do is get you there reliability, comfortably, and using the least amount of resources. It excels at all three.

Oh I love the Prius just when it got the poo poo scratched out of it lots of people here were like who gives a poo poo it's a Prius. Right now I think I'm just gonna get a tail light off a wrecked one for $200 take the back bumper off, get around to installing this hitch I have for it, pop the bumper out and just deal with knowing I can't live the nice things lifestyle. I'll continue to drive my 15 year old station wagon that I keep squeaky clean. Sigh. Thanks for everyone's input seriously.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

everdave posted:

Oh I love the Prius just when it got the poo poo scratched out of it lots of people here were like who gives a poo poo it's a Prius. Right now I think I'm just gonna get a tail light off a wrecked one for $200 take the back bumper off, get around to installing this hitch I have for it, pop the bumper out and just deal with knowing I can't live the nice things lifestyle. I'll continue to drive my 15 year old station wagon that I keep squeaky clean. Sigh. Thanks for everyone's input seriously.

I want to chirp back up as one of the people who said it happens. I did not mean to put your car down. I drive a boring new Forester. It's the first new car I've ever bought, and a week into ownership my wife scraped the back bumper. And the kid spilled milk, several times, all over. And the wife has a makeup stain on the vanity mirror. And I've stopped tracking it anymore. It's the family car and poo poo's gonna happen when you're maneuvering groceries and a kid, or just backing out of a busy parking lot. I

My point was it seemed your new prius was a family car, and as such you should mellow out on it getting hosed up because that's what your spouse and children will do. Either accept it happens or be pissed all the time.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Maksimus54 posted:

I want to chirp back up as one of the people who said it happens. I did not mean to put your car down. I drive a boring new Forester. It's the first new car I've ever bought, and a week into ownership my wife scraped the back bumper. And the kid spilled milk, several times, all over. And the wife has a makeup stain on the vanity mirror. And I've stopped tracking it anymore. It's the family car and poo poo's gonna happen when you're maneuvering groceries and a kid, or just backing out of a busy parking lot. I

My point was it seemed your new prius was a family car, and as such you should mellow out on it getting hosed up because that's what your spouse and children will do. Either accept it happens or be pissed all the time.

I'm not pissed, tbh I'm just a little sad and sick over a 5 month old car already looking like this. My main thought right now is WHY DO I PAY ALL THIS loving INSURANCE? am I an idiot for having full coverage with low deductibles when I don't even use it? I like Progressive they paid off happily when stuff not my fault happened in the past but poo poo. I don't know I'm not pissed just wish the car could stay nice. I use my station wagon as a car hauler and a truck and it looks better than this newborn Prius. I don't have a point just barf.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Sorry, it sucks when poo poo happens to your nice new car.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

What was the reason for the brand new car? Was it a mutual decision? I totally understand how frustrating it is when something you care about is treated like crap and ends up all beat up, no longer new.

Hindsight and all that, but it seems like you would have been better off with a lightly used Prius with some body imperfections or even a beater of sorts. Echoing the suggestion to leave it be for a little while to let it sink in. If it doesn't bother her then I wouldn't recommend ever getting another brand new car unless you're the only one driving it.

On the bright side, at least she doesn't mechanically abuse cars... Does she?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

everdave posted:

so far in 5 months my wife has ruined the paint on the hood of the car and now this (backed into a barrier at a playground). i mean what the hell.

You've got a young kid, right?

Anyone who has a kid aged 1-7 might as well empty a dumpster inside the car and beat on the outside with a monkey wrench when they pick up the car from the dealer.

No matter how much of a car lover you are; a young mommies's car looks like it's been stolen and recovered from hobos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drENhsxhX_Q

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i just upgraded to an EVGA 1070 FTW and now i dont have any games that actually take advantage of it because until recently games as old as mass effect 2 sputtered

:sigh: at least i'm getting 150fps in overwatch on ultra

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That's the most depressing sentence I've read in a while.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

i just upgraded to an EVGA 1070 FTW and now i dont have any games that actually take advantage of it because until recently games as old as mass effect 2 sputtered

Since I upgraded to a 1070 I really feel like I'm not using it to its full potential. I've only got a couple of older 1920x1200 monitors and I don't really push it at all. Probably should have saved the dollars and got a 1060 but you know. Upgrade-itis.

Maybe one of these days I'll follow through and get a VR headset for some project.CARS action.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

The humble store is having a sale right.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I got a 980 GTX for dirt cheap, mainly for Dishonored 2

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I'm eventually going to drop a 1080 into my rig when I have some spare money but that's mostly cos I refuse to run my dell 27" at below its native 2560x1440 resolution.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

I play skyrim on my work laptop

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I bought a 1070 about a year ago and it's been good for 3 monitor gaming (racing sims) but I don't know why anybody else would need something that powerful. It's pretty silly and awesome though but I rarely really need that much horsepower either. But why not. :getin:

Adiabatic posted:

I play skyrim on my work laptop

The game that's going to come out on the pocket sized nintendo switch should run on something that's an old brick. And you probably have an engineering laptop with some actual balls anyway.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 24, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
My Dell Precision laptop continues to handle Skyrim well, but I have an AMD FirePro that I'm running software modded to be a Radeon R9 M200x

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

It's like a project managers laptop honestly. Bitch only has 4 gigs of ram and an integrated gcard.

I cant even play the newest graphics update of Sim City Deluxe lmao

Its cool though Im more of a tropico island dictator type anyway.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Had the day off work today.

There was no power at home between 7am till 5:15pm. A power line had touched another killing power to most of the suburb :argh:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Adiabatic posted:

It's like a project managers laptop honestly. Bitch only has 4 gigs of ram and an integrated gcard.

I've got a laptop with a 970M so I could game when out of town, which it does really well. Pity I never seem to use it for gaming :(

Running a 980ti on my desktop for the past couple years and I just discovered that last Doom that got released a year or so ago and it plays 3440x1440 fantastic but is a space heater doing so.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

I buy the Precision series specifically because if it has a dedicated card, its usually modular and I can get them with more RAM slots than the standard laptop.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Must be nice to have install privileges on your work laptop. Mine is locked down so hard it's not even funny. I couldn't even adjust the time when it got out of sync and my vpn tokens wouldn't work.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

slothrop posted:

Since I upgraded to a 1070 I really feel like I'm not using it to its full potential. I've only got a couple of older 1920x1200 monitors and I don't really push it at all. Probably should have saved the dollars and got a 1060 but you know. Upgrade-itis.

Maybe one of these days I'll follow through and get a VR headset for some project.CARS action.
Yeah like i reckon if I managed to make the HD6850 i bought in 2008 last until this year this 1070 should last me forever

mariooncrack posted:

The humble store is having a sale right.

:rip: me

edit: oh hey i just realized I have watchdogs 2, I should try that out now that it runs well since it was pretty fun when i last played it

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

rdb posted:

Must be nice to have install privileges on your work laptop. Mine is locked down so hard it's not even funny. I couldn't even adjust the time when it got out of sync and my vpn tokens wouldn't work.

My company doesn't even issue laptops, there's just a few shared ones that are giant, slow, hot, and locked down to be even more useless than our regular workstations.

And yet literally everything my team does, along with the teams we work most closely with, are all either exposed externally or hosted on someone else's cloud anyway. So a completely unrestricted personal laptop is just as, or maybe even more effective than the company issued garbage.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

rdb posted:

Well one of mine does. The other one is locked the gently caress down though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

First day at the new job. So far, the rep from my staffing company hasn't shown up. Well, I was here at 8:40, so my behind is covered.
Man, I did not miss morning traffic. At least I don't have to come in at 8 when it's worse, and it's still only 20 minutes or so. Funnily enough, new job is within a few miles of the old job. I can drive by and flip them the bird at lunch.

• Locked thread