Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The Alberta oil problem will solve itself over the next decade once they realize no one wants to buy it.

Building pipelines doesn't create markets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The Butcher posted:

The one big thing I always see proponents conveniently ignoring in the threefold increase in tanker traffic it would create.

A pipeline or train spill is bad.

A tanker cracking open on the coast is catastrophic.

If they want us to eat that risk, they can pay the gently caress up.

how about not. no amount of money makes it worthwhile

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

So long as plastic is used as a common building material, the oil sands are going nowhere.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
the us vs them mentality with this stuff is real bizarre to me. you know you can move anywhere in Canada you want, and we all contribute a huge chunk of our taxes to the same place, right?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

berenzen posted:

So long as plastic is used as a common building material, the oil sands are going nowhere.
Yeah I'm sure when the Chinese factory needs oil for plastics it will buy the expensive lovely Alberta oil and not the cheap crude from the same continent.

Alberta oil is already shutting down, a pipeline will change things in the short term but wont affect the declining price and demand.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

berenzen posted:

If every economic decision was made on purely environmental arguments, the vast majority of the Canadian economy wouldn't exist. Something like 89% of our economy is based off of natural resources- each of which has incredibly negative impacts on the environment.

I'm not denying that there isn't an environmental argument, I'm saying that it cannot be the only deciding factor. You need to balance out economic factors as well. Would a denial of the Transmountain pipeline be catastrophic for Alberta? No, but it certainly would delay the economic recovery, and would overall harm the economy long-term, as we are unable to ship to foreign markets other than the united states.

Okay, fine, give BC a significant chunk of your profits from it then. We are shouldering an enormous risk, loving pay us enormous barrels of money. I don't give a poo poo about your dumb hick province or your "economic recovery".

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I have no issues with that, but that's between your government and mine, and is on your government to open negotiations.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

berenzen posted:

If every economic decision was made on purely environmental arguments, the vast majority of the Canadian economy wouldn't exist. Something like 89% of our economy is based off of natural resources- each of which has incredibly negative impacts on the environment.

I'm not denying that there isn't an environmental argument, I'm saying that it cannot be the only deciding factor. You need to balance out economic factors as well. Would a denial of the Transmountain pipeline be catastrophic for Alberta? No, but it certainly would delay the economic recovery, and would overall harm the economy long-term, as we are unable to ship to foreign markets other than the united states.

why should BC want Alberta's pipeline?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

:siren: NDP NOW AHEAD BY 101 IN COMOX :siren: The Liberals' provincewide popular vote margin has shrunk from 17,000 yesterday to just 2,612. Counting still in progress.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

berenzen posted:

well it's good that we've done such a good job ignoring environmental arguments because now the world is cooking to death. but maybe we can sneak in one more pipeline before things start getting really bad.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

THC posted:

NDP is now ahead by 101 votes in Courtenay-Comox at latest count. The Liberals' provincewide popular vote margin has shrunk from 17,000 yesterday to just 2,612. Counting still in progress.

:bisonyes: how's Richmond South - Queensborough looking?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

JawKnee posted:

:bisonyes: how's Richmond South - Queensborough looking?

Liberals win by 134, counting is complete

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

I think it's realistic to assume a Liberal minority at this point. I think that makes an NDP/Green coalition somewhat likely?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Grimes posted:

I think it's realistic to assume a Liberal minority at this point. I think that makes an NDP/Green coalition somewhat likely?

assuming the Greens don't pal up with the libs - or stay separate as they then hold the balance of power for legislation they like/don't like

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

THC posted:

Liberals win by 134, counting is complete

bummer. I doubt absentee votes will swing false creek or Coquitlam - Burke

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Grimes posted:

I thought the only thing the Greens were willing to work on with the NDP was voting reform, otherwise they were in the bag for the Liberals.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Weaver is a closet Liberal but his party won't be thrilled with him if he throws in with the Liberals.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

THC posted:

how about not. no amount of money makes it worthwhile

Everyone has their price, THC. :getin:

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Minge Binge posted:

well it's good that we've done such a good job ignoring environmental arguments because now the world is cooking to death. but maybe we can sneak in one more pipeline before things start getting really bad.

I'd love to see the oil sands stop. However, there needs to be a replacement economy in place to make up the hundreds of billions of dollars that would disappear from the Alberta and Canadian economies. As a second order affect, the BC economy would likely be more taxed as greater economic redistribution would be placed on them.

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

berenzen posted:

Friend, the VAST majority of oil is used for transportation. Plastic use is minimal.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

A successful oil field and economic diversification are mutually exclusive goals.

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

berenzen posted:

As a second order affect, the BC economy would likely be more taxed as greater economic redistribution would be placed on them.

I've tried reading this a bunch of times and still aren't sure what you're on about. Are you trying to connect this to equalization payments or something?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

berenzen posted:

I'd love to see the oil sands stop. However, there needs to be a replacement economy in place to make up the hundreds of billions of dollars that would disappear from the Alberta and Canadian economies. As a second order affect, the BC economy would likely be more taxed as greater economic redistribution would be placed on them.

oil in alberta is dead barring some sort of technical breakthru that somehow only applies to the alberta oil sands. maybe you should learn to code

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

the us vs them mentality with this stuff is real bizarre to me. you know you can move anywhere in Canada you want, and we all contribute a huge chunk of our taxes to the same place, right?

I don't want anywhere in Canada building an economy that relies on oil, and anywhere that has one should be transitioning away from it as soon as possible. We're likely already too late to avoid catastrophic climate change, and are now in the "actually trying to ensure climate change doesn't cause the end of human civilization as we know it" phase. Every pipeline, train, and tanker full of oil is another nail in our coffin so for the love of God, no, we should not be building more pipelines to lock Alberta's economy into several more decades of extracting some of the dirtiest oil on the planet. Every oil shock is an opportunity for us to wake up and move towards a sane foundation for our national economy, but instead we always double down saying that we need the oil to fuel Alberta's economic recovery. No, idiots, stop it with this loving moronic endless cycle of "can't stop the oil now, the price is too high" and "can't stop the oil now, the price is too low" while slowly in the background we all die.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

the talent deficit posted:

oil in alberta is dead barring some sort of technical breakthru that somehow only applies to the alberta oil sands. maybe you should learn to code

The last thing the world needs is rig pigs turning into codebros. Teach them brain surgery or arthroscopy or how to grow weed or literally anything else.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

berenzen posted:

given that the Oil Sands in alberta are not going to recover any time soon - the Middle-East OPEC nations have already ramped up production again, depressing prices again - Alberta will have no choice but to find another industry or be very hosed for a very long time - new pipeline or no

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Can't Albertans just do what they've been telling everyone to do for the past 15 years? Move to where the jobs are. They whine about equalization payments when they're high on the hog and demand our help when things get tough.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

No see we deserve special extensions on our EI because

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Helped bust a bike thief / fence yesterday.

Got hit by a car while riding my bike this morning.

Deets are in the bike thread in YLLS.

Now I'm looking for advice on how to best lobby for better law enforcement and infrastructure to protect riders and bikes from idiots with cars and assholes with bolt cutters. Do I write my MP? MPP? The premiers office? Buy a bullhorn and yell nonsense while standing in front of the Legislature?

loving hell I just want to be left alone to do my own thing and everyone keeps ruining my loving calm.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Alberta isn't on equalization payments. Alberta will still survive if the pipeline fails. However, I can still express my desire to see something that would improve the economy of the province that I live in.

But, for fucks sake, I don't work the rigs, so I don't know where you guys are getting the idea that I'm a rig pig. So you can gently caress right off with that jump in logic. I am a coder, and I'd like to see the burgeoning high-tech economy in Alberta actually be self-sustainable before oil sands are totally shut down.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

I don't want anywhere in Canada building an economy that relies on oil, and anywhere that has one should be transitioning away from it as soon as possible. We're likely already too late to avoid catastrophic climate change, and are now in the "actually trying to ensure climate change doesn't cause the end of human civilization as we know it" phase. Every pipeline, train, and tanker full of oil is another nail in our coffin so for the love of God, no, we should not be building more pipelines to lock Alberta's economy into several more decades of extracting some of the dirtiest oil on the planet. Every oil shock is an opportunity for us to wake up and move towards a sane foundation for our national economy, but instead we always double down saying that we need the oil to fuel Alberta's economic recovery. No, idiots, stop it with this loving moronic endless cycle of "can't stop the oil now, the price is too high" and "can't stop the oil now, the price is too low" while slowly in the background we all die.

Yeah I'm fine with this attitude (though I think a deliberate shift away from a resource based economy needs maybe a bit more thought). THC also said that. The rest of the people posting about it are talking about how the problem is that Alberta isn't taking the risk. it's dumb.

Anyway we all know what will really fuel Alberta's economy is moving from an oil based economy to a water based economy.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

Anyway we all know what will really fuel Alberta's economy is moving from an oil based economy to a water based economy.

We don't have enough fresh water, Ontario would work better.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

berenzen posted:

Alberta isn't on equalization payments. Alberta will still survive if the pipeline fails. However, I can still express my desire to see something that would improve the economy of the province that I live in.

But, for fucks sake, I don't work the rigs, so I don't know where you guys are getting the idea that I'm a rig pig. So you can gently caress right off with that jump in logic. I am a coder, and I'd like to see the burgeoning high-tech economy in Alberta actually be self-sustainable before oil sands are totally shut down.

Alberta will become a tech leader.. move over hoot suite. Discovery will probably do a series "cowboys of code"

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Just go back to farming and tourism while the glaciers still exist.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Alberta should diversify into real estate, construction, and lending like the rest of the country.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Weird BIAS posted:

Just go back to farming and tourism while the glaciers still exist.

Yeah cuz that's what tourists are clamoring for. Glaciers

e: woo it sure is cold this is great

hooboy i sure like looking at this great big chunk of ice, gently caress yeah

let's go back to the shack where we can have some beans and pray for heat. gently caress yeah this vacation is the best!!!!

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Powershift posted:

Alberta should diversify into real estate, construction, and lending like the rest of the country.

Calgary needs a functioning real estate market first.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

berenzen posted:

Yeah, that's not happening.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

berenzen posted:

Calgary needs a functioning real estate market first.

Real Estate, let's entrust a large percentage of our economy to literally the stupidest motherfuckers to walk this earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There's some good AI research happening in Alberta, but not much else afaict, and the research isn't spinning off companies to any large degree.