Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
So many of the rules in Catholicism and Islam are clearly a person going "yes fine who gives a poo poo whatever. It's friday and its like 5pm already"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

God, Hannity just rambles on and on. But I think he bitched out on the Seth Rich stuff.

FizFashizzle posted:

So many of the rules in Catholicism and Islam are clearly a person going "yes fine who gives a poo poo whatever. It's friday and its like 5pm already"

During Lent as a Catholic I'm supposed to make sacrifices of things I enjoy and not eat meat on Friday, and maybe even fast.

But if St. Patricks' Day falls on a weekend then my bishop makes sure to issue an official dispensation that says "Yeah, get wasted and have some corned beef. Its St Patrick's Day. You can fast some other day."

That really speaks to what it is to be a Catholic, IMO.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
Couldn't embed a tweet (i'm dumb) but looks like Hannity's walking back the Seth Rich thing.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Which branch of Christianity does Trump pretend to subscribe to again?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Milosh posted:

Couldn't embed a tweet (i'm dumb) but looks like Hannity's walking back the Seth Rich thing.
I'm thinking the Rich family lawyers got involved somehow because all of a sudden today Fox issued a retraction on a Seth Rich story and now Hannity has backed off

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

How is this not a gimmick troll?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Whichever is giving him attention or money at the moment.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Milosh posted:

Disappointing.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ol Standard Retard posted:

Voting for both of these things and also a 72 point blinking "DO NOT RE LITIGATE THE 2016 ELECTION YOU FUCKMANS" to be included in the OP.

O'Malley would have won

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Milosh posted:

He very specifically did NOT walk back or retract his claims. He went on a great length about how he's in the right to ask questions and people are trying to silence him and he's specifically answering a made up call by the family to find answers. But then he said he'll stop talking about it anyway because of the family's wishes. At no point did he in any way mention that its been debunked, that Fox News retracted the story, or that any of his claims could be wrong.

IMO, it couldn't have been more obvious that he was told to shut the gently caress up about it or get fired and he tried to spin it to save face.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

STAC Goat posted:

God, Hannity just rambles on and on. But I think he bitched out on the Seth Rich stuff.

During Lent as a Catholic I'm supposed to make sacrifices of things I enjoy and not eat meat on Friday, and maybe even fast.

But if St. Patricks' Day falls on a weekend then my bishop makes sure to issue an official dispensation that says "Yeah, get wasted and have some corned beef. Its St Patrick's Day. You can fast some other day."

I remember there being some confusion at the diocese here a few years ago because while St. Patrick's fell on a Friday during Lent (gently caress yeah, feast day, go hog wild!) it also lined up with a different day of Marian obligation so, nope.

I think there's a reason why my most devout Catholic friend is also a big comic nerd. Similar retcon approach.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I will never stop laughing at the fact that the Church of Satan wants people to stop associating them with Trump.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

aware of dog posted:

Hot take: Trump contradicts himself so often because he can't actually remember anything he's said in the past.
Hot take: Trump is a massive narcissist and will say literally whatever (he thinks, he is not too bright) is advantageous to him in the moment and rewrite history in his own head so it agrees with what he's saying now. Why is nobody listening to me on this

Slenderman's true form is revealed.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Most Catholics I've spoken to personally have been very similar to Evangelicals. Then again I'm from rural Pennsylvania so that's probably part of it. A depressing majority of Christians in general I've met in these parts have been awful people that use Jesus to justify being hateful, spiteful dickheads that despise everything.

My father, who is solidly republican, has straight up said that if a potential client mentions wanting a "real Christian business relationship" he looks for every opportunity to end it ASAP because that person is going to absolutely screw you over.

According to my mom he's been pretty pissed off about how Trump is floundering so badly. "We need to get the lawyers out of government and get a real businessman in charge" has been his go-to solution for everything he sees as wrong with things and the foolishness of that position is very publicly collapsing in front of him. I just hope he manages to not go completely down thee Fox News rabbit hole :sigh:

Maybe I can introduce him to the glory of the orb. :orb:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

They are called laurices, and it wasn't a starvation thing like some of the others, it was just people looking at fetuses and saying "I guess it marks all the boxes we set for what is a fish, guess we can eat these" and the pope going "yeah, I guess so".

Learn something new every day.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

"Christian". He's "Christian."

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

"Prosperity gospel", which really just fits so well.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Eh, 11 answers but 11 ANSWERS, judaism is big into actually thinking through it's questions instead of brushing them off. There might not be a central body declaring one or another answer right but you are way more likely to get extremely well thought out totally supported diagrams to explain how something works exactly with a faith that you can work through the logic of the rules so exactly that things like sabbath mode on ovens that breaks the entire spirit of the idea of the rule is generally not just people ignoring inconvenient aspects of their religion like other religions have but totally exploiting a loophole in rules as written and enough faith that god meant what he wrote to actually accept you can do stuff like that. (or catholics eating rabbit fetuses because of a bunch of complex definitions of fish that ended up including fetuses)

One of the central themes of Judaism is questioning the religion, but in such a way that you learn from it. You are supposed to read the texts, discuss the texts with others, and come up with interpretations of those texts. This isn't to say that you are supposed to question in such a way that leads you away from the religion though as it can be extremely dogmatic depending how orthodox/religious you get.
There are different movements in Judaism though, such as the chassidic/lubavitch, conservative, reform, modern orthodox etc, all with their own interpretations of the laws. Usually there is a lot of inferiority complexes thrown around, particularly between orthodox's view on reform.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

STAC Goat posted:

When I was in Catholic school whenever the bishop came by he'd just give us a day off.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Shifty Pony posted:

My father, who is solidly republican, has straight up said that if a potential client mentions wanting a "real Christian business relationship" he looks for every opportunity to end it ASAP because that person is going to absolutely screw you over.

What on loving earth?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

JBP posted:

What on loving earth?

It might just be a southern thing. It generally means you're gonna get paid under the table and you'll get money when they have it to give.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The only time our Catholic priest at high school ever said a scary religious word or did anything that wasn't chill was the day he learned about a three way shower JO session at a party on the weekend and went full fire and brimstone during our economics class.

FizFashizzle posted:

It might just be a southern thing. It generally means you're gonna get paid under the table and you'll get money when they have it to give.

Yeah that sounds like a good deal...

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Democrats have won two state legislative elections in districts that went for Trump:

https://twitter.com/NYWFP/status/867201289888960512

https://twitter.com/PoliticsWolf/status/867174605693255684

(for clarity, in New York you can run as a nominee of multiple parties, she's a nominee of the democrats AND the working families party)

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 24, 2017

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

JBP posted:

What on loving earth?

I saw a truck with a decal for a lawn care company, just the other day

"Christ Centered Lawns"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

JBP posted:

What on loving earth?

Non-poor WASPs use that as a weird code word for a lot of things. One of them is that they want you to think they're a good, trustworthy Christian who won't ever screw you over. Which is problematic because a good, trustworthy Christian isn't going to go around loudly advertising it. Somebody who frequently tells you that they are honest you should watch very closely because they probably aren't. It's also code for "I am a white person that follows the prosperity gospel. If I screw you over it's because God let me do it. Ergo, I am righteous and deserve the money while you are a sinner who does not." So of course they will absolutely grub for every single dime they can get out of anybody else. But, you know, it isn't greed driving them. That would be a sin! No, they've earned their success by going to church every (well, most...OK like once a month...usually...) Sunday.

It makes no drat sense when you look at what Jesus actually taught but they don't care.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

FizFashizzle posted:

My assumption is that it's a similar mindset that an old attorney that I worked for used to have, where if someone lead off with "well I'm an Eagle Scout" at the first meeting he wouldn't trust them. Because it's too easy to take advantage of people naturally assuming that you'd be on the up and up.

*EDIT*

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Non-poor WASPs use that as a weird code word for a lot of things. One of them is that they want you to think they're a good, trustworthy Christian who won't ever screw you over. Which is problematic because a good, trustworthy Christian isn't going to go around loudly advertising it. Somebody who frequently tells you that they are honest you should watch very closely because they probably aren't. It's also code for "I am a white person that follows the prosperity gospel. If I screw you over it's because God let me do it. Ergo, I am righteous and deserve the money while you are a sinner who does not." So of course they will absolutely grub for every single dime they can get out of anybody else. But, you know, it isn't greed driving them. That would be a sin! No, they've earned their success by going to church every (well, most...OK like once a month...usually...) Sunday.

It makes no drat sense when you look at what Jesus actually taught but they don't care.

Basically this, really.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

ToxicSlurpee posted:

At this point it isn't. However you're right; that's a major, major component of it for a hell of a lot of Christians in general. That isn't just Catholics. A hell of a lot of it is various religious leaders making bullshit claims about liberals. When the gay marriage thing was still being settled (and the right just won't loving stop on that one) in a big way a very common claim was "the government will force your church to marry gays so you must oppose gay marriage with every fiber of your being."

And it's like...no. That's not how it works. That wasn't the point of legalizing it at all. You couldn't explain that to people and a common response was "well we believe it's wrong so we work to prevent people from doing it. That's what we believe." Sorry buddy but not everybody believes that and some religions are totally fine with it. Sometimes it'd end with "well we'll just have to agree to disagree." No. loving no. Your religion believing that the gays are icky and bad does not give you the right to take away their rights. Your religion and your church can refuse to marry gay people. That's fine! Nobody is forcing you to but you can't force your religions rules on everybody else's.

I had to start invoking my religion (I generally avoid that) and point out how they were overstepping their bounds into mine. That's when the real bullshit starts. "Well America is a Christian nation because most Americans are Christian. So there. Majority rules." Well, no. America is a free nation that just happens to be mostly Christian and not even all Christians believe those things. That also forgets the "minority rights" part, which they loving constantly bring up whenever the majority votes for something they don't agree with.

A great deal of it is just plain authoritarianism wrapped up in Jesus. Plus it's that strategy of "fight on literally all of the fronts forever all the time." They know they'll never, ever win on abortion or LGBT rights but they can keep otherwise decent people voting R because "SAVE THE BABIES!!!!!" or "GAY AGENDA!!!!!!!!"

There's a strain of thought within Christianity, especially among those who make use of the legal system that the purpose of opposing them is to win, but even if you don't win you must oppose with the same tenacity. They're there to opposed evil and if they don't actively oppose it they will go to hell. The moral imperative isn't to leave it alone and grumble and wait for opinion to swing, but to oppose it yesterday, today and tomorrow, and even after winning the culture war to make sure their way sticks and is ever expanded to prevent it from ever happening again.

If they're doomed to fight and die on that particular hill even if they lose they will forever fight on that hill. Losing will not deter them. They will merely continue to fight and lose because quitting means to forsake God and drat your own soul to hell.

JBP posted:

What on loving earth?

Living in the South whenever I hear the term Christian described as an adjective I immediately think that it's a scam or at least that something shady is going on. I feel like it's a sort of buzzword and marketing strategy to rope in the gullible. There are exceptions of course but I've run into enough businesses that prey on other Christians to know it's a thing.

On the flipside when I worked in hospitality it was always the Christian groups that stole the most. Sheets, towels, that sort of stuff. They'd rob the place blind and it almost always happened. The sports people that stayed with us caused trouble, but it was more physical call the cops or at least send extra housekeeping trouble. The Christian groups were horrible thieves. Again, caveat, not all of them, and not even all of them within the thieving group, but we'd often bill the pastor afterwards for $500 and up for stolen property.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 24, 2017

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

evilweasel posted:

Democrats have won two state legislative elections in districts that went for Trump:

disturbing for GOP if true

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

JBP posted:

What on loving earth?

Religious businesses are scams far more often than non-religious ones.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

JBP posted:

What on loving earth?

If you're both bound by love of God, you don't need to be bound by trivial earthly matters like contracts.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

STAC Goat posted:

IMO, it couldn't have been more obvious that he was told to shut the gently caress up about it or get fired and he tried to spin it to save face.

That's how it came across to me. His spin wasn't even very well-developed - he ran a few replays of his "Russia is a fake news conspiracy" clips, promised to keep working on FINDING THE TRUTH, and quickly moved on.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

evilweasel posted:

Wow, that is a drastic flip in NY 09 from only a few months ago.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

JBP posted:

The only time our Catholic priest at high school ever said a scary religious word or did anything that wasn't chill was the day he learned about a three way shower JO session at a party on the weekend and went full fire and brimstone during our economics class.

Yeah that sounds like a good deal...

Oh, don't get me wrong. I had one particular nun teacher in school who told us we'd go to hell for stepping on bugs, went on a rant about them letting the gays into the St Patrick's parade, and once convinced a girl that the devil was stalking her and caused some kind of mental break in her. So its not all "get wasted and chill."

On the flip side in high school I had a priest teacher who parked his Hell's Angels Harley in the side lot and people used to whisper about his Road to Damascus conversion story and that one time in the 80s he leaped off the catwalk in the quad to stop a fight.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

evilweasel posted:

Religious businesses are scams far more often than non-religious ones.

now wait a minute ive got this copper bracelet here and let me tell you my fibromyalgia has calmed right down

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

(for clarity, in New York you can run as a nominee of multiple parties, she's a nominee of the democrats AND the working families party)

This is juicy, trump's really juiced up dem turnout even for state special elections.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FBS posted:

That's how it came across to me. His spin wasn't even very well-developed - he ran a few replays of his "Russia is a fake news conspiracy" clips, promised to keep working on FINDING THE TRUTH, and quickly moved on.

Yeah, it was super awkward and didn't make a lot of sense. He was trying to find a way to get across "this is a real story of major national importance and the truth to all the fake Russia news the Dems are pushing... but the family asked me to stop so I will even though I spent the last few days saying I wouldn't and am now also claiming that they asked me not to." But of course that's utter nonsense so it was just clear he had been silenced by the network and didn't want to admit it or retract the story.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao

quote:

US President Donald Trump's entry in the guest book at Israel's national Holocaust memorial was strangely upbeat, self-referential and written in his signature all-caps: "IT IS A GREAT HONOR TO BE HERE WITH ALL OF MY FRIENDS - SO AMAZING & WILL NEVER FORGET!"

http://www.theage.com.au/world/donald-trump-leaves-strange-guest-book-note-at-israels-holocaust-memorial-20170523-gwbp0u.html

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

STAC Goat posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong. I had one particular nun teacher in school who told us we'd go to hell for stepping on bugs, went on a rant about them letting the gays into the St Patrick's parade, and once convinced a girl that the devil was stalking her and caused some kind of mental break in her. So its not all "get wasted and chill."

On the flip side in high school I had a priest teacher who parked his Hell's Angels Harley in the side lot and people used to whisper about his Road to Damascus conversion story and that one time in the 80s he leaped off the catwalk in the quad to stop a fight.

Nuns are generally some degree of nuts in my experience. We had nice nuns that were attached to our sister school who were just a bit weird and believed in ghosts, but then we had convent nuns that were uniformly bug eyed and would say "brides of Christ" constantly while telling us about the value of a woman's chastity and speak of nothing that wasn't sexual.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
i had a religion class that was nothing but sister wendy videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2spi1ritYiY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Raylen posted:

Wow, that is a drastic flip in NY 09 from only a few months ago.

I think the GOP has four big problems working against it currently.

1. No supreme court seat is up for grabs.
2. Hillary Clinton is not running and there are few targets left like her to animate the base.
3. The GOP is a mess at the house level and is unable to pass legislation AND unable to even get it past them without actively loving over their base.
4. Trump is a chaotic mess and his disapproval rate is over 56% now, and the republicans own him almost wholly because few disavowed him during the race.

I'm currently volunteering for Archie Parnell in South Carolina (when it stops raining I'll knock some doors as I'm terrible on phones) and I think it's actually possible for him to win because Ralph Norman is a full throated Trump supporter.

Republicans have by and large rallied around Trump, but he's continuing to shed supporters little by little. So without the animating forces of an other, and especially THE other named Hillary Clinton they're going to have problems.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 24, 2017

• Locked thread