Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tap my mountain posted:

I'm glad to see that older 3rd party controllers can be updated to work with the switch. Having to get a brand new stick for the PS4 because of their stupid proprietary Bluetooth stuff was dumb.

Lots of ps4 games allow legacy sticks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

#newpage #smuglife #badass #dgaf

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Real hurthling! posted:

Lots of ps4 games allow legacy sticks

Isn't it only certain sticks that only work because the games themselves specifically support them?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im gonna throw turtle shelves

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tap my mountain posted:

Isn't it only certain sticks that only work because the games themselves specifically support them?

Its ps3 sticks and yes its done on a per game basis.

the controller working on switch is likely because the manufacturer updated its firmware, not because of any open feature of the switch.

Your comment about proprietary signals is actually an xbox thing that they have been backing away from in recent controller revisions where you no longer need a dongle to play on pc. Ps4 is just regular bluetooth.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Real hurthling! posted:

Your comment about proprietary signals is actually an xbox thing that they have been backing away from in recent controller revisions where you no longer need a dongle to play on pc. Ps4 is just regular bluetooth.

oh my bad I thought the PS4 did some poo poo where it would check for their specific DS4 signal every 5 minutes and it would stop working if it failed that check. That was the thing previously preventing PS360 sticks from working.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I was quietly hoping that Rabbids Mario crossover game was nothing more than a rumor :(

Maybe when they show some footage I will be pleasantly surprised because my expectations are as low as they can possibly get

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

DLC Inc posted:

nintendo has made plenty of mario shovelware. Mario Pinball Land

You're on thin ice, buster

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tap my mountain posted:

oh my bad I thought the PS4 did some poo poo where it would check for their specific DS4 signal every 5 minutes and it would stop working if it failed that check. That was the thing previously preventing PS360 sticks from working.

Yeah it does that if the game doesnt use the right legacy driver but its not anything to do with proprietary bluetooth. They are protecting their official controllers and 3rd party parters or whatever corporate speak.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Lakbay posted:

I'm gonna buy one of these for Hollow Knight (unless that game needs a stick for some reason)

I'm now aware that Hollow Knight is coming to the Switch and am looking forward to playing it on the go.

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

if the 8bitdo Zero controllers could get firmware updates, they look like they'd be pretty good joy-con substitutes

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I am completely okay with a Mario Rabbids RPG. Crossovers can rule if done carefully, and Nintendo doesn't seem to be stupid enough to invite comparisons to SMRPG without a good game underneath it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im going to play and probably enjoy the mario rabbids game

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I have to ask has anyone else played a Rabbids game before?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

.TakaM posted:

I think I played one on a Wii maybe? It was all a blur however.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I hope they shelve this turdle.

Okay not really, I just wanted to make that wordplay.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I hope rabbids become super popular and everyone loves it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I played Rayman Raving Rabbids which was a rhythm game. It was ok I guess.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

.TakaM posted:

I vaguely remember there being a wario ware esque rabbids game on the Wii that my family enjoyed.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

.TakaM posted:

I liked the first one. It was an okay minigame collection that used motion controls decently enough.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Ok, the 8Bitdo pads working on the Switch is something I didn't even know I wanted. Works a treat for Bomberman and Metal Slug 3, which I just tried out. Anything that doesn't need sticks or ZL/ZR is probably going to be pretty solid. Way more comfortable than a sideways joycon, too. However, it shows up as a Pro controller, meaning some games (like Snipperclips) won't work.

Also possible with the new firmware on the Retro Receiver is using the Pro Controller or a Joycon on an actual SNES, which is novel. Sadly, it looks like the N64 controller they do hasn't gotten the update yet. I haven't heard good things about that one, though. The SNES ones are great.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Night Blade posted:

Why would I use this over a pro controller?

Costs $20 or so less for one with analog sticks, and only :20bux:* for the ones without analog that likely function similar to single joycons?

I was thinking of getting a 2nd pro controller but honestly if these things are good and will work for games that don't need tilt or rumble I'm down with it.

* The SNES controller is almost $40 when you visit the Amazon page for them though :shrug:

e: That said, if Square Enix decides to do the right thing and release the Seiken Denetsu collection outside of Japan I'd probably buy one of these SNES controllers for Secret of Mana let alone anything else they work with.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 24, 2017

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

.TakaM posted:

I mentioned it earlier, but Rabbids Go Home was awesome and I want another one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoitdE6GWqw

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So I have a bit of a odd question, let's say if E3 rolls around and they announce Mario Kart 9. It has a smaller roster and just 8 cups (typical 4 new, 4 retro) would you be interested in it or has MK8:DX raised the standard a bit?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Does it have some weird game changing feature like an open hub world?

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Double Dash 2 or bust.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ohvee posted:

:rip: Ryan Davis.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Nope, just 8's system with new karts and like the honey queen again or something.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So I have a bit of a odd question, let's say if E3 rolls around and they announce Mario Kart 9. It has a smaller roster and just 8 cups (typical 4 new, 4 retro) would you be interested in it or has MK8:DX raised the standard a bit?

I'd rather they just keep releasing DLC for 8D for the Switch's lifespan.

I feel like Nintendo packed so much content in MK 8 and Smash 4 that their sequels will feel disappointing unless they go in completely new directions gameplay-wise. The Switch isn't hugely more powerful than the Wii U so they can't throw out a new one on just better graphics alone.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 24, 2017

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

i really want a Mario Kart grand prix mode or something. different theme races (100-lap rainbow road endurance match!), unlock different cars and customisables as you progress, or buy em with coins from racing. either that or Mario Kart Midnight Run would be fine and dandy with me

Nov 24, 2014

.TakaM posted:

I was quietly hoping that Rabbids Mario crossover game was nothing more than a rumor :(

Maybe when they show some footage I will be pleasantly surprised because my expectations are as low as they can possibly get

I was so sure that it was just a dumb rumor from someone who'd seen this Mario Odyssey screenshot.

Mario with a gun. Just LOL.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Ohvee posted:

I forgot how just kind of the slightly out of control infectious happy insanity this game gave off. Half of that comes from the music alone I feel

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It'd be really bizzare for them to do this and it'd need to be amazingly different. Even then it'd be a pretty lovely move. Especially since they could make a shitload of DLC for MK8DX, spend less time doing so, and potentially charge more overall for it. Making another 4 cups, half dozen racers, and a dozen cart parts and selling them in 4 packs, each for $5-10, would make more sense.

Fast forward to E3 2019 or so and maybe I could see them announce a new Mario Kart is in the works for the New Switch DX or w/e.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Imagined posted:

Do or don't, I don't give a poo poo? Just posting a link.

I was wondering if there was an actual benefit I wasn't aware of, but hey; eat a dick to you too sport.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i hope mario/rabbids is like valkyria chronicles that would rule

ubisoft could show the codename steam team how you're supposed to do it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I forgot how just kind of the slightly out of control infectious happy insanity this game gave off. Half of that comes from the music alone I feel

Rabbids Go Home was dumb silly fun, and I really wish they'd make a sequel :allears:.

Quest For Glory II posted:

i hope mario/rabbids is like valkyria chronicles that would rule

ubisoft could show the codename steam team how you're supposed to do it

It'd still probably be a better Valkyria Chronicles game than Valkyria Revolution :v:.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Revolutions wasn't trying to be one though.

Well until a bunch of people complained enough that they shoehorned some tactical stuff back into a game when it didn't fit and made it worse.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Well the ZR button on my joycon finally broke, it felt odd for a while but now it's done.

I'll call Nintendo tomorrow but does anybody know how much Nintendo repairs them for or if they're covered by the warranty? May as well buy a new pair in the meantime.

Nov 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/YongouOYander/status/867089760791269378

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
8Bitdo controllers are really great and now I have a reason to buy another one.

• Locked thread