Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCdG6oVqZqk&t=234s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

ReidRansom posted:

more like marital law, amirite fellas? everything's locked down. heyooo~

Maybe it was maritime law and only gold fringed people count.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

evilweasel posted:

Democrats have won two state legislative elections in districts that went for Trump:

https://twitter.com/NYWFP/status/867201289888960512

https://twitter.com/PoliticsWolf/status/867174605693255684

(for clarity, in New York you can run as a nominee of multiple parties, she's a nominee of the democrats AND the working families party)

Turnout was like 15% down from 65% in the general. But it flipped from 60R/40D to 60D/40R. 20 point shift.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh, oh, I also had a Vietnamese priest who used to tell us stories of his time performing exorcisms when we stayed around after school to help him with manual labor.

Catholicism can be fun. And they made a point to tell us to get off our asses and go work at a soup kitchen or else we fail the class. Which in hindsight was very cool of them.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

At this point it isn't. However you're right; that's a major, major component of it for a hell of a lot of Christians in general. That isn't just Catholics. A hell of a lot of it is various religious leaders making bullshit claims about liberals. When the gay marriage thing was still being settled (and the right just won't loving stop on that one) in a big way a very common claim was "the government will force your church to marry gays so you must oppose gay marriage with every fiber of your being."

And it's like...no. That's not how it works. That wasn't the point of legalizing it at all. You couldn't explain that to people and a common response was "well we believe it's wrong so we work to prevent people from doing it. That's what we believe." Sorry buddy but not everybody believes that and some religions are totally fine with it. Sometimes it'd end with "well we'll just have to agree to disagree." No. loving no. Your religion believing that the gays are icky and bad does not give you the right to take away their rights. Your religion and your church can refuse to marry gay people. That's fine! Nobody is forcing you to but you can't force your religions rules on everybody else's.

I had to start invoking my religion (I generally avoid that) and point out how they were overstepping their bounds into mine. That's when the real bullshit starts. "Well America is a Christian nation because most Americans are Christian. So there. Majority rules." Well, no. America is a free nation that just happens to be mostly Christian and not even all Christians believe those things. That also forgets the "minority rights" part, which they loving constantly bring up whenever the majority votes for something they don't agree with.

A great deal of it is just plain authoritarianism wrapped up in Jesus. Plus it's that strategy of "fight on literally all of the fronts forever all the time." They know they'll never, ever win on abortion or LGBT rights but they can keep otherwise decent people voting R because "SAVE THE BABIES!!!!!" or "GAY AGENDA!!!!!!!!"

I've talked to non-American Christians, including some who consider themselves fairly Conservative. They think we're all nuts. It's less about Jesus and more about America. We worship the US but pretend to worship Christ.

I know some people have a hate-on for religion and there's no denying that Christian churches around the globe have problems. But in this instance, I think this is distinctly an American problem. I still remember my family's Catholic church telling me to pray for America during Iraq War, and I've heard of American flags being displayed in churches.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Great news, everyone!

http://blog.timesunion.com/davidkalish/mexico-offers-to-pay-for-trumps-impeachment-instead-of-border-wall/2706/

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

metasynthetic posted:

Reposting for new thread:

... what friends?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

STAC Goat posted:

Oh, oh, I also had a Vietnamese priest who used to tell us stories of his time performing exorcisms when we stayed around after school to help him with manual labor.

Catholicism can be fun. And they made a point to tell us to get off our asses and go work at a soup kitchen or else we fail the class. Which in hindsight was very cool of them.

Why is that very cool of them?

In college I absolutely despised the mandatory "volunteering". If it'd been for extra credit or something I probably would've done it and at least been neutral about it, but when it was mandatory it wasn't volunteering anymore and I only grew to hate whatever I did.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
I have definitely known and worked with people who considered Christianity to be their "Get out of morality free" card. They're free to lie, cheat, backstab, and swindle without the slightest guilt because they could just pray and all was forgiven, no apology to their victims needed. I know not all religious people are like this, but there's definitely quite a few who are. I wouldn't trust anyone who brings up their faith during a business transaction.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

... what friends?

There was probably at least one Russian in the area. :3:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

... what friends?

Legit, Donald Trump thinks if you make nice with him you're his friend. Then if you talk bad about him he thinks you betrayed him. He displays this cycle all the time, most obviously with Obama.

Dude's brain is that of a child's.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ice Phisherman posted:

2. Hillary Clinton is not running and there are few targets left like her to animate the base.

The GOP has been running in some form or fashion against Hillary Clinton for the past 25 years.

It's going to be pretty interesting watching them try to make up something to beat on as effective as her.

I said earlier that one of the things dragging Fox down now is they can't really bring her up anymore. I mean they're trying, god bless them.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

Legit, Donald Trump thinks if you make nice with him you're his friend. Then if you talk bad about him he thinks you betrayed him. He displays this cycle all the time, most obviously with Obama.

hell hillary said one seemingly nice thing to him in a debate and he suddenly went all buddy-buddy

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Ice Phisherman posted:

In college I absolutely despised the mandatory "volunteering". If it'd been for extra credit or something I probably would've done it and at least been neutral about it, but when it was mandatory it wasn't volunteering anymore and I only grew to hate whatever I did.

Good job being a total dweeb, apparently, haha

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Because forcing kids to go do good deeds and interact with people worse off them hopefully helps build compassion and a sense of charity and giving? You can TELL them to do it but actually making them do it hopefully has an impact that wouldn't happen when the kids would just nod along and move on. Ideally when people do charity work they'll get past their personal feelings of being put out and connect with the worse off people they're helping.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Someone on twitter (a real person) said they Trump thought Comey was his friend at one point.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Robot Hobo posted:

I have definitely known and worked with people who considered Christianity to be their "Get out of morality free" card. They're free to lie, cheat, backstab, and swindle without the slightest guilt because they could just pray and all was forgiven, no apology to their victims needed. I know not all religious people are like this, but there's definitely quite a few who are. I wouldn't trust anyone who brings up their faith during a business transaction.

Down here it's called "Getting your Jesus". You sin your rear end off and repent on Sundays. It's an intellectual bypass that allows everything to be all right because you can treat people like garbage but if you intend to ask for forgiveness later you have cover. Also I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way, because you have to be truly sorry, and if you were truly sorry you wouldn't repeat the same bad behavior over and over again only to later ask for forgiveness. You can do this if you're struggling to course correct, but if you just ask God for forgiveness ever time you treat someone like garbage I don't think it's supposed to work.

Could be wrong though.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

CBO jitters

quote:

An outside GOP group aligned with Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) unveiled a $2 million TV ad blitz on Tuesday defending the legislation to replace ObamaCare ahead of the highly anticipated Congressional Budget Office analysis of its effects.

American Action Network’s ad will run in 21 House districts and nationally on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” to tout the GOP’s bill, known as the American Health Care Act.

It features a California woman named Elizabeth Jacinto saying that her family “lost our insurance and doctor because of the Affordable Care Act.” “But now, we have hope. The American Health Care Act will fix our broken healthcare system,” she says in the ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-M8Mhwmdx4

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Y'know, I'm surprised Vicinte Fox hasn't already suggested this for real.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Someone on twitter (a real person) said they Trump thought Comey was his friend at one point.

There were a bunch of stories like that, that Trump tried to make Comey his buddy and pull him in and when Comey didn't want to he felt personally offended. Some friend of Comey's is going around telling stories about how Trump would try to hug him and invite him to dinner and Comey was put off by the whole thing because he felt he needed to be impartial (and apparently he turned down some invitation from Obama to play basketball for the same reason).

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

Ice Phisherman posted:

I'm currently volunteering for Archie Parnell in South Carolina (when it stops raining I'll knock some doors as I'm terrible on phones) and I think it's actually possible for him to win because Ralph Norman is a full throated Trump supporter.

Good luck because that district looks to lean heavily Republican. Also it comes down to a numbers game sometimes and it looks like Republicans have a 2 to 1 advantage in voters. Not trying to dissuade you from volunteering because any district with Shaw AFB in it should not be represented by a person willing to send those people to die relatively easy. Plus it would be great to see Mulvaney's district flip Democrat.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Didn't the girl in this ad lose her subsidy because she lied about her family income?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Technically true!

Fix - v. - informal: to spay, neuter, or castrate

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

STAC Goat posted:

Makes me think he may have problems with object permanently too. Someone get him to cover his eyes and ask him where he thinks he is now or where the light went.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

JBP posted:

What on loving earth?

Basically shorthand for "I want this to be a deal where we don't try to screw the other person over to maximize the money one of us gets but instead try to treat each other fairly and like family because we are both brothers in Christ."

Like others have said it is probably a Southern thing. And also like others have said when someone feels the need to state that sort of thing at the beginning of a business transaction you should hold onto your wallet because they are going to try and take you for everything they can. My father works in an industry where the contracts are often won-win-win so it is doubly suspicious when people start to say it.

The worst part is they usually are 110% convinced they are completely right and you are wrong. Every little extra they demand will be cast as just them asking for what is fair and every time you point out that it is going to gently caress you they will either appeal to keeping everything from being about money or just straight up accuse you of being un-Christian for being obsessed with profit. If you point to the contract they will try and weasel out of it and if you dare bring up the topic of getting a lawyer involved you are pretty much the second coming of the devil.

Dead on Arrival
Nov 4, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

Didn't the girl in this ad lose her subsidy because she lied about her family income?

Probably.

My favorite part is the line of Pre-existing Conditions. Thanks Republicans for that thing we already had!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

FizFashizzle posted:

Y'know, I was just thinking that it probably wouldn't be too long before someone revealed that the ads were a bunch of bullshit, I'm glad that everything is working as fast as the Trump Impeachment Train these days.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

It features a California woman named Elizabeth Jacinto saying that her family “lost our insurance and doctor because of the Affordable Care Act.”
Is this ad even trying to make sense?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Why waste the money? This ad buy is not even a drop in the bucket compared to the coverage the CBO score will get. Forget cable news and national newspapers, healthcare is going to be the lead story for every local news affiliate in every market in the country.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Down here it's called "Getting your Jesus". You sin your rear end off and repent on Sundays. It's an intellectual bypass that allows everything to be all right because you can treat people like garbage but if you intend to ask for forgiveness later you have cover. Also I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way, because you have to be truly sorry, and if you were truly sorry you wouldn't repeat the same bad behavior over and over again only to later ask for forgiveness. You can do this if you're struggling to course correct, but if you just ask God for forgiveness ever time you treat someone like garbage I don't think it's supposed to work.

Could be wrong though.

I think the most common question I get from non-religious people when they find out I'm Catholic is "so you get to just confess your sins and you're ok?" To which the answer is always "no, its more complicated than that. You can be forgiven but you have to be truly sorry and you'll be given penance. And like if its small stuff you might just have to pray but if you were mean to your mom the priest might tell you to go apologize and if you don't you're not forgiven. And if you like kill someone your penance is definitely going to include confessing to the crime and doing what you can to make up for the life you took. So its not some clean slate just because you whispered in a closet."

But on the flip side on Easter Sunday Meet the Press had a Jesuit Priest, a lady Rabbi, and an Evangelical preacher on and after the Priest talked about the importance of actions the Evangelical just straight up said "Its funny because I used to think that but then I converted and found out that its not what you do, its just about whether you accept Jesus." So there's definitely a whole wing of American Christians who just see it as a hall pass and probably some churches actively selling it that way.

We Catholics did that back in Medieval times but we went full on with you having to buy your forgiveness. No cheap short cuts.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Had someone unironically bless Donald Trump for their good transaction at my work today... gently caress Indiana sometimes :negative:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

At this point it isn't. However you're right; that's a major, major component of it for a hell of a lot of Christians in general. That isn't just Catholics. A hell of a lot of it is various religious leaders making bullshit claims about liberals. When the gay marriage thing was still being settled (and the right just won't loving stop on that one) in a big way a very common claim was "the government will force your church to marry gays so you must oppose gay marriage with every fiber of your being."

And it's like...no. That's not how it works. That wasn't the point of legalizing it at all. You couldn't explain that to people and a common response was "well we believe it's wrong so we work to prevent people from doing it. That's what we believe." Sorry buddy but not everybody believes that and some religions are totally fine with it. Sometimes it'd end with "well we'll just have to agree to disagree." No. loving no. Your religion believing that the gays are icky and bad does not give you the right to take away their rights. Your religion and your church can refuse to marry gay people. That's fine! Nobody is forcing you to but you can't force your religions rules on everybody else's.

I had to start invoking my religion (I generally avoid that) and point out how they were overstepping their bounds into mine. That's when the real bullshit starts. "Well America is a Christian nation because most Americans are Christian. So there. Majority rules." Well, no. America is a free nation that just happens to be mostly Christian and not even all Christians believe those things. That also forgets the "minority rights" part, which they loving constantly bring up whenever the majority votes for something they don't agree with.

A great deal of it is just plain authoritarianism wrapped up in Jesus. Plus it's that strategy of "fight on literally all of the fronts forever all the time." They know they'll never, ever win on abortion or LGBT rights but they can keep otherwise decent people voting R because "SAVE THE BABIES!!!!!" or "GAY AGENDA!!!!!!!!"

If you're against homosexuality, all you have to do is just not gently caress people of your own sex. Simple is that. What two consenting adults do is their business and their business alone.

A lot of it is just about envy. Some people can't stand seeing two people in love like that, except outside societal norms. One of my former co-workers is a lesbian and she just married her long-time partner. I looked at some of the wedding photos and the look of joy on their faces is incredible. What right does anyone have to deny people that?

I'd rather see someone act comfortably and naturally rather than change who they are to make other people happy. If someone is happier as a woman instead of a man or a woman as a man, support them.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TyrantWD posted:

Why waste the money? This ad buy is not even a drop in the bucket compared to the coverage the CBO score will get. Forget cable news and national newspapers, healthcare is going to be the lead story for every local news affiliate in every market in the country.

It's more about helping Ryan by showing he's helping his caucus, even if that help doesn't do anything.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

STAC Goat posted:

Because forcing kids to go do good deeds and interact with people worse off them hopefully helps build compassion and a sense of charity and giving? You can TELL them to do it but actually making them do it hopefully has an impact that wouldn't happen when the kids would just nod along and move on. Ideally when people do charity work they'll get past their personal feelings of being put out and connect with the worse off people they're helping.

I was forced to and I hated having my time stolen from me. I also volunteered in other small ways but none of those were apparently good enough. I understood why but apparently volunteer work only counted with my teacher if you could punch a clock rather than being kind in general.

That year I had a choice off a list and none of them were working with kids for some reason which would've been good on a resume' as I was in education at the time. Instead I worked with old people in an assisted living center and it was depressing.

A few months later I did volunteer to read to some children which was super cool because they were happy to be read to, but I wasn't forced to do this so the experience was 100% different.

I guess it was mostly a problem with the strategy to get me to go and being volunteered instead of volunteering put a sour taste in my mouth about it even to this day. Also being a working student and scheduling conflicts were bad too.

I get why it would work for some people, but like much in education everyone learns and grows differently and some strategies aren't going to be effective.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

TyrantWD posted:

Don't ask why just laugh that the party of fiscal responsibility thought dropping 2mil defending a bill that'll cost billions of dollars in lost productivity down the line was a good idea.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Mustached Demon posted:

Don't ask why just laugh that the party of fiscal responsibility thought dropping 2mil defending a bill that'll cost billions of dollars in lost productivity down the line was a good idea.

Eh, they can just claim it as $2 million down on a Trump economic stimulus package. Lots of jobs created in making that ad!

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I had a teacher who used mandatory community service hours to get free babysitting. I think it was 6th grade and I was the only one who thought it was problematic. gently caress that teacher.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

evilweasel posted:

It's more about helping Ryan by showing he's helping his caucus, even if that help doesn't do anything.

The healthcare plan is not helping his caucus. It's doing the opposite. It had a 17% approval before they made it worse to get the HFC on board. Ryan spent his entire time as speaker telling anyone who would listen to go to the GOP website to see his amazing healthcare plan that would provide better healthcare to more people for less money, so while a lot of Republicans may be waiting for the Obamacare repeal, I don't think they are eager about replacing it with something worse, that even harms their employer-based plans.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Egbert Souse posted:

If you're against homosexuality, all you have to do is just not gently caress people of your own sex. Simple is that. What two consenting adults do is their business and their business alone.

A lot of it is just about envy. Some people can't stand seeing two people in love like that, except outside societal norms. One of my former co-workers is a lesbian and she just married her long-time partner. I looked at some of the wedding photos and the look of joy on their faces is incredible. What right does anyone have to deny people that?

I'd rather see someone act comfortably and naturally rather than change who they are to make other people happy. If someone is happier as a woman instead of a man or a woman as a man, support them.

Having spent more and more time around Christians (Atheist in sheep's clothing at a church) I see the depths of peoples' faith and how it influences their lives and perceptions in ways I can't really begin to comprehend. The concept of all trusting faith is alien to me and though I can talk to these people and get along they will always have a mindset which is alien to me.

So when you say, "Why can't people have sex if they want, with whom they want and getting married to whom they want?" the answer is, "Because I have a moral imperative to stop evil." So them being left alone is what they want, but they can't leave these topics alone because they are pitted against them because they wish to oppose Satan.

If you're non-religious it won't make sense to you unless you spend time around these people. I see their unguarded moments as they testify. Sweet little ladies who raise polite and intelligent children have strong feelings about opposing evil despite their otherwise demure demeanor.

They wish to be left alone, but cannot leave you alone because they feel an obligation to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

STAC Goat posted:

There were a bunch of stories like that, that Trump tried to make Comey his buddy and pull him in and when Comey didn't want to he felt personally offended. Some friend of Comey's is going around telling stories about how Trump would try to hug him and invite him to dinner and Comey was put off by the whole thing because he felt he needed to be impartial (and apparently he turned down some invitation from Obama to play basketball for the same reason).
https://www.lawfareblog.com/what-james-comey-told-me-about-donald-trump

This is it.

• Locked thread