Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Spudd posted:

The worst people are the ones who call out their 'real names', I'm pretty sure I have actually slapped a friend irl for constantly doing that to annoy new people. Don't be a oval office, how is this such a hard concept to grasp.

Traxex, we need you to take Wailing Arrow this game against this Syllabear. We have to kill him before he can use his Bloodstone, so silence him. But watch out for Shimada's Deflect!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

bamhand posted:

HotS heroes have titles too. I just don't think anyone uses them. Except maybe for medic and monk. But Zeratul is probably Dark Prelate or some nerd poo poo.

Kyrosiris posted:

This poo poo pisses me off and I can't put my finger on why.

It's because they aren't iconic characters they are generic ones that had identities ascribed to them for the purpose of being a hots character. They are literally just the medic unit from SC and the monk character from diablo.

Additionally it is easier and faster to say medic and monk than Morales or Kharazim. So when you are either verbally or keyboard mentioning them you are more likely for a lot of reasons to go brief.

Sonya is easier to say/type than Barbarian.

Trying to think of other examples off the top of my head but I usually call shots when I play with friends on voice and that's how I think about processing it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
:coolfish:

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

von Metternich posted:

Trip report for the FTP heroes for this week that I hadn't tried before:

Played Illidan, and instantly became a douchebag who runs in and dies all the time. I got the hang a little towards the end, but man, he is a hero who is difficult to keep alive but required to stay in close range.

Sonya-It was awesome to whirl around all over the place. Took the talents that gave increased whirlwind healing, had a good time.

Murky: Ran around a lot, died quickly, hit some dudes with a puffer fish. Did not realize that Bribe only affected one guy in the camp per charge. I guess playing against aware players they could make your life difficult by tracking down the egg, but I don't know why you'd bother

Raynor: So, you just kinda stand at long range and plink people, and sometimes use the skillshot? The battleship was cool, and I guess the team attack speed boost could be good depending on your composition.

EDIT: Forgot about Le Ming. Magic Missile and Arcane Orb seem cool, I didn't really know what to do with the teleport. Laser ult was excellent, especially with the slow effect.

Still haven't gotten to try Arthas, Kerrigan, or Sylvanas, who seem kind of iconic?

Illidan can be a rough pick in QM because he's the kind of hero that needs a team built around him and he's also countered very easily by quite a few popular heroes. I would say the key points for being Illidan are :

1) You can hang around the edge of a fight and try a feint or two (jump in and then immediately dash out to bait skill shots or a full enemy engagement).
2) Almost any hero that's isolated from the rest of their team is a free kill for you.
3) You're one of the best heroes at doing merc camps, and you should try to do them before objectives spawn. Just don't use your Q while doing them as it's a DPS loss.

Take Metamorphosis as your ult and remember you can use it as an escape if you need to.

Sonya is notably one of the heroes that completely destroys Illidan and she is also one of the best at doing merc camps. Take Follow Through at 7 and practice weaving it with your ability use (that is, use an ability then auto-attack for the bonus, then use another ability before your next auto attack).

To get the most out of Raynor check out this video on stutter stepping https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmKJUMyQnGs. Also, try to use your battleship ult when your team is pushing with an objective or a boss to get the most value out of it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Libertine posted:

It's because they aren't iconic characters they are generic ones that had identities ascribed to them for the purpose of being a hots character. They are literally just the medic unit from SC and the monk character from diablo.

No, I'm saying people who call them "medic" and "monk" piss me off.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Related question: how good is the DVa announcer?

Feel free to take this with a grain of salt seeing as I've said before I really don't like D.Va as a character, but hearing it on Grubby's stream at one point it's quite boring. I didn't really hear many unique/funny/cool lines at all (not by opinion, I mean it was just all standard stuff).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Poultron posted:

Feel free to take this with a grain of salt seeing as I've said before I really don't like D.Va as a character, but hearing it on Grubby's stream at one point it's quite boring. I didn't really hear many unique/funny/cool lines at all (not by opinion, I mean it was just all standard stuff).

As someone who does like D.va as a character and slam-crafted it day one, I actually kinda regret it. I'm kinda migrating back to Gazlowe on most heroes, tbh.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I still feel like Tychus is underrated as an announcer.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
i still like diablo as announcer, because "evil never dies!" when your team loses gets funnier with each sequential loss. keep on staying optimistic, d-man :3:

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Today i dropped an egg right next to a warhead spawn point in a shroud area, then got murdered by someone who barely escaped me with 1/4 of his health. i obliterated him less than 10 seconds later when he thought he was safe. Then i sent an unending wave of little murkys into the enemy core teaching them the meaning of fear.

I tried bodysoaking with abathur because we really needed some kind of lane coverage and a particularly observant Morales demolished me a bunch by following the trail of locusts while i wasn't paying attention.

The reason I wasn't paying attention was because i was having too much fun being 3 characters in one with my two friends who were playing cho'gall. We lost but holy hell.

The 5$ welcome pack owns and i'm definitely getting murky with the gems. I also got d.va announcer and while i like it, it's nothing too special. I wonder if genji has better lines?

Poultron
May 26, 2006

$5 welcome pack is nice but I'm still legitimately salty that they're taking away Mega Bundles. That's dogshit.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
MURKY IS UNSTOPPAAAAAAAABLE

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Macaluso posted:

MURKY IS UNSTOPPAAAAAAAABLE

the murky on the enemy team is unstoppable

the murky on my team is worthless

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Does anyone have a better announcer line than Gazlowe's "don't forget to check his pockets. ...what?"

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
The best part of the Gazlowe announcer is how he counts down multikills.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Toshimo posted:

I still feel like Tychus is underrated as an announcer.

Tychus is really good, but I still think Valla is the best. Although I can't pick what kind of accent she is meant to have.

Also "Well at least you won't lose any durability" when you die is still great after hearing it like 100 times because it chills me out.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

WORKIN' HARD FOR THAT DOLLAR.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Poultron posted:

$5 welcome pack is nice but I'm still legitimately salty that they're taking away Mega Bundles. That's dogshit.

Yeah the starter deals and 1 time account things really should be permanent. Or at least rotated out rather than retired. Especially the mega bundle thing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

HOW THE FLYING gently caress IS THIS FAIR MATCHMAKING

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ciaphas posted:

Stop solo queueing Quick Match, ya dingus.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I've slowly realized it was a huge mistake to buy all the cheapest heroes with my starting gold and gems. Since I already had every single rare I'm up to like 7 out of 9 duplicates from chests, and one of the non-dupes was rerolling the guaranteed hero chest twice.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Toshimo posted:

Is it really that much to ask that the game doesn't try to do this when I don't want to deal with the draft?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Tsurupettan posted:

the murky on the enemy team is unstoppable

the murky on my team is worthless

Tips for dealing with the enemy Murky:

DON'T IGNORE THEM

That's siege damage

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 24, 2017

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sindai posted:

I've slowly realized it was a huge mistake to buy all the cheapest heroes with my starting gold and gems. Since I already had every single rare I'm up to like 7 out of 9 duplicates from chests, and one of the non-dupes was rerolling the guaranteed hero chest twice.

It's ok because you've actually been able to 0lay as those heroes, so you've gotten the value.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Spudd posted:

Also "Well at least you won't lose any durability" when you die is still great after hearing it like 100 times because it chills me out.

Folks have some great lines for that. One of Gazlowe's is "it happens, just run back to your corpse and WHAT?! It's gone!"

I'm glad to hear the different announcers get some good stuff. The samples on the crafting page are all pretty generic with a few exceptions, which I think is why people latch onto ones with unique voices like Gazlowe and Brightwing. I have ETC as well and while he has some style, I often forget I have him on rather than default.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 24, 2017

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Toshimo posted:

It's ok because you've actually been able to 0lay as those heroes, so you've gotten the value.

Yeah, plus you get the gold from getting them leveled, and dupes still get you shards which are useful. Also remember the whole price thing is usually just release date (and sometimes popularity) other than newness factor flooding a lot of the best value characters that are solid picks are cheaper ones.

You're also more protected from nerfs or meta shifts. Gold is your primary source of heroes, not boxes. Don't fall into the trap of spending 40-50k gold on rerolling to get a 'free' 10k hero you may or may not want.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Bruceski posted:

Folks have some great lines for that. One of Gazlowe's is "it happens, just run back to your corpse and WHAT?! It's gone!"

I'm glad to hear the different announcers get some good stuff. The samples on the crafting page are all pretty generic with a few exceptions, which I think is why people latch onto ones with unique voices like Gazlowe and Brightwing. I have ETC as well and while he has some style, I often forget I have him on rather than default.

Yeah I hope they improve some of the announcers. Part of why people are so positive on Gazlowe isn't just the VA but also that he does seem to have some variety in his comments. Like I've heard 2-3 different defeat or victory lines that stood out, and a few death or kill lines. Meanwhile even though Lili is adorable and has some great lines she doesn't seem to have much variety in them
So the first time you hear, "Hey! Those forts don't grow on trees you know! Wait..do they?" it's funny, not so much every time she repeats it.

Heck maybe those lines are already in game but some of the voice interactions are just bugged, like the way when 2.0 launched start of match banter was missing.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

p-hop posted:

I have Brightwing announcer, Gazlowe is the next one I should get right? Are there any other announcers on the same tier as them?

ETC is good if you like his personality, which I do. "Check it out, a dead guy" never fails to crack me up.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gazlowe is definitely the untouchable champion announcer possibly until Alarak or Li Ming, but Tychus and Hammer are also good. Johanna would probably also be a good one, and Zoltun Kulle if they ever make him.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 24, 2017

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

guaranteed hero box gave me etc which i rerolled to azmodan, both of which came in my mega bundle. feels bad

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

If Raynor's announcer doesn't have him starting every game saying "Hey, hey man" I will be very disappointed.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

b-b-b-but player levels don't matter

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Hots announcers are so much worse than Dota announcers I hope they get better as time goes on

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.

Poultron posted:

b-b-b-but player levels don't matter

they don't
he's complaining about the team compositions

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Carados posted:

Hots announcers are so much worse than Dota announcers I hope they get better as time goes on

Hopefully Alarak announcer will stand up to the paragon of withering disapproval, GLaDOS.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quite stretched out posted:

i still like diablo as announcer, because "evil never dies!" when your team loses gets funnier with each sequential loss. keep on staying optimistic, d-man :3:

Stop playing with poo poo people.

Wait that means me gently caress.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

siotle posted:

they don't
he's complaining about the team compositions

and the player levels, and the fact that it's 5v3,1,1, and the fact that there's two tanks on the enemy team, and...

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Poultron posted:

and the player levels, and the fact that it's 5v3,1,1, and the fact that there's two tanks on the enemy team, and...

Toshimo posted:

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Stop playing with poo poo people.

Wait that means me gently caress.

self owns are best owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Poultron posted:

If there's a group imbalance the match-maker gives the non-grouped team a higher overall MMR than the grouped team to 'compensate' for the coordination of the grouped players but to be honest the only times I really notice it is when one team is queued as five and the other team is entirely solo queued. It feels like I win those games more often than not, but yeah anecdotal something something.