Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Looke posted:

WHATA RE YOU GOING TO DO THEN RATJACULATION?

I was trying to find the Trigger Happy Guardian Angel sketch but couldn't find it in anything but German...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I like how virtue signalling has now come to mean telling racists to gently caress off, which to be honest is it's own reward.

Kinda surprised people aren't picking up more than sixers for this stuff, what do you need to do to be banned?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

nopantsjack posted:

I like how virtue signalling has now come to mean telling racists to gently caress off, which to be honest is it's own reward.

Kinda surprised people aren't picking up more than sixers for this stuff, what do you need to do to be banned?

Keyboard goop

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
During both the troubles in the UK and further back during the height of mafia violence, was the public narrative "Let's just ban them/round them all up in camps. That will sort it!"? Have people always been this panicky, or is this a 21st Century thing?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

I've been playing Monster Hunter and looking after my sick mother all day to start really trolling but tell me Namtab how many people have to die in the name of tolerance?

I feel that there was a great genocide in living memory, in the name of intolerance, that people who hate the Muslims would love to see repeated (nobody has died in the name of tolerance, you oaf, you loving idiot)

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Weasling Weasel posted:

During both the troubles in the UK and further back during the height of mafia violence, was the public narrative "Let's just ban them/round them all up in camps. That will sort it!"? Have people always been this panicky, or is this a 21st Century thing?

Well mass arrests and internment without trial was an early tactic used by the government during the troubles...

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

nopantsjack posted:

No no virtue signalling is saying that you don't think the Muslims should all die when you don't believe it, just to make the dumb Trotsky mod like you.

I hope he notices me~

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

R. Guyovich posted:

lmao

as a "sneak peek" inside the wide wild world of modship that guy reported like five people because they were mean to the racists

lol he's the biggest baby on the forums and constantly whines about safe spaces

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This space is NOT safe *flexes*

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

If were going by metrics of terror caused and lives taken and/or ruined
The DWP has them beat

Put the DWP on the terrorist organization list.

UKMT May 2017: Springtime for Racists

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

nopantsjack posted:

Virtue signalling works best in some random forum where no one knows who you are and can't possibly connect what you say to your IRL personality and ego

Also overbrewed green tea is the best tea. Would a virtue signaller say that in a thread full of Brits? :smuggo:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Namtab posted:

No no virtue signalling is saying that you don't think the Muslims should all die when you don't believe it, just to make the dumb Trotsky mod like you.

I hope he notices me~

Oh like when I say I like women and they are equal to men just to trick women into giving me strange instead of being an honorable incel?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

learnincurve posted:

Oh wow, you can see the exact moment the British went to bed and everyone else woke up and started posting.

Yourkshire tea is the best tea and all other teas, especially those teas that are not really tea but flavoured hot water, pale in comparison.

aldi's earl gray is ace

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I don't like tea. I mostly drink instant coffee when it's time for a hot drink.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Red tea, brewed overnight and served sweet with plenty of milk.

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

The code to the exit is 1125

So notorious bellend Piers Morgan just used the phrase 'eradicate them' on live TV. He didn't specify whether he meant terrorists or just all muslims, but after the poo poo coming out from people like Katie Hopkins, I wouldn't be surprised if he's getting his genocide boner on. Dickhead.

learnincurve posted:

Oh wow, you can see the exact moment the British went to bed and everyone else woke up and started posting.

Yourkshire tea is the best tea and all other teas, especially those teas that are not really tea but flavoured hot water, pale in comparison.

Nah, Rington's reigns supreme, with Yorkshire tea second.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Is virtue signalling some thing that used to have a specific use and now is just meaningless through over/mis use? I google it and it seems to be from some spectator journo.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2015/10/i-invented-virtue-signalling-now-its-taking-over-the-world/

Did it used to refer to celebrities that would try and piggy back on charity causes or some thing? I know it now just refers to any one that has an even vaguely left of centre view point like "sjw"?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Oberleutnant posted:

I don't like tea. I mostly drink instant coffee when it's time for a hot drink.

i don't drink tea or coffee

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Jose posted:

:stonk:

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

I'm pretty sure virtue signaling is a just a saying racists use to describe not being racist. But I can't be sure, as I'm not a massive moron don't usually make use of the phrase.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Marshal Plugnut posted:

So notorious bellend Piers Morgan just used the phrase 'eradicate them' on live TV. He didn't specify whether he meant terrorists or just all muslims
Of course he didn't. People like Morgan never have the courage to outright stand up for what they believe in. They weasle around the edges of it, always making sure to leave an escape route in case anybody calls them out.
Just once i'd like to see an interviewer actually try to pin them down and get them to explain exactly what they mean when they say we need a "final solution" or to "exterminate" a nebulous "them".

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

How's about a ~herbal infusion~ or do you just forswear hot drinks

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Chomskyan posted:

I'm pretty sure virtue signaling is a just a saying racists use to describe not being racist. But I can't be sure, as I'm not a massive moron don't usually make use of the phrase.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtue_signalling

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I used to get this can of loose assam black tea (forget the brand, it was imported tho) from a Pakistani run shop.

My god it was amazing, brewed just right it was a wonderful deep red.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Jose posted:

I knew someone at uni who drank both. Together. In the same mug. He called it cofftea.

He was a strange one.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Just throw some store-brand brown dust in a cup and slosh some hot water over it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

jBrereton posted:

How's about a ~herbal infusion~ or do you just forswear hot drinks

i don't think it much but i like bovril

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Jippa posted:

Did it used to refer to celebrities that would try and piggy back on charity causes or some thing? I know it now just refers to any one that has an even vaguely left of centre view point like "sjw"?

I think the point of virtue signalling is people claiming to be virtuous and to care about things such as starving children in Africa or the homeless but not doing a thing to help them while going on Facebook or Twitter and spewing hyperbole about how much of a good person they are.

Extremely related to the Humblebrag.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...ag-2363207.html

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

That definition is out of date

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

quote:

LessWrongEdit

The blog LessWrong was an early user of the term for an audience not comprising signalling theorists. It alluded to the concept as early as February 2009.

Aren't they the ones who are terrified of a thought experiment

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Jose posted:

i don't think it much but i like bovril

beefy beefy

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Party Boat posted:

Aren't they the ones who are terrified of a thought experiment

Toe be fair Roko's Basilisk is kinda terrifying at first glance until you realize you yourself aren't being tortured and a AI probably would have better things to do than make simulations of people and torture them for eternity

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Toe be fair Roko's Basilisk is kinda terrifying at first glance until you realize you yourself aren't being tortured and a AI probably would have better things to do than make simulations of people and torture them for eternity

Your posting is compelling evidence that im being tortured by an extremely poo poo ai

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I think the point of virtue signalling is people claiming to be virtuous and to care about things such as starving children in Africa or the homeless but not doing a thing to help them while going on Facebook or Twitter and spewing hyperbole about how much of a good person they are.

Extremely related to the Humblebrag.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...ag-2363207.html

Yea, it was originally meant for things like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-YCZr0epts

But of course, like sjw (which was meant for people who send death threats to cartoonists for not drawing a character fat enough), the right decided to use the term for anyone expressing any idea to the left of Pat Buchanan.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Can someone just put my mind at rest - it *is* too late for candidates to get on the ballot, isn't it? Because I know the loose coalition of far-right wankers (Britain First, English Democrats, and of course the shrivelled remnants of the BNP) haven't really bothered this year in most seats, but I really wouldn't put it past them to start registering and campaigning in the wake of what happened in Manchester.

Come to think of it I sure as hell wouldn't put it past Nuttall to go much more overtly far-right to try and recover UKIP's pretence at political relevance.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Well and the right thing to do whatever the case is to turn off the computer.

You still see that Yudkowski(?) guy being cited as an AI expert occasionally which is fun since he's just some weirdo who is scared of imaginary computers.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

The fact that you didn't have the brainpower to dismiss some dumbfuck's dumbfuck thought experiment at first glance really tells it all.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Can someone just put my mind at rest - it *is* too late for candidates to get on the ballot, isn't it? Because I know the loose coalition of far-right wankers (Britain First, English Democrats, and of course the shrivelled remnants of the BNP) haven't really bothered this year in most seats, but I really wouldn't put it past them to start registering and campaigning in the wake of what happened in Manchester.

Come to think of it I sure as hell wouldn't put it past Nuttall to go much more overtly far-right to try and recover UKIP's pretence at political relevance.
I've got some bad news... the EDL are running in every seat... and they're projected to get 88% of the vote...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jBrereton posted:

I've got some bad news... the EDL are running in every seat... and they're projected to get 88% of the vote...

I'm not worried about them getting in, I am worried about them dragging the Overton WIndow all the way back to the right after the microscopic slips to the left we've been seeing over the last couple of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

jBrereton posted:

i think 14% would have worked better here

• Locked thread