Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ending spoilers: To construct the simulation I imagine they just basically made a playground version of Talos I for Typhon-Morgan to run around in, with key events that did or could have happened in the real thing being placed in at appropriate spots to keep things on track. They explicitly say that the choices Typhon-Morgan makes were of its own volition, so it's hard to justify a theory that it's reliving memories of things the real Morgan did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Before the game came out one of the devs was on Twitter saying that it would probably take months for someone to figure out the secret, subversive playstyle they had planned for. Does anyone know what they were talking about yet? I hope they weren't referring to people playing through without neuromods or something.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

deep dish peat moss posted:

Before the game came out one of the devs was on Twitter saying that it would probably takes months for someone to figure out the secret, subversive playstyle they had planned for. Does anyone know what they were talking about yet? I hope they weren't referring to people playing through without neuromods or something.
Pretty sure it was killing January and going without its guidance.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 23, 2017

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Before the game came out one of the devs was on Twitter saying that it would probably take months for someone to figure out the secret, subversive playstyle they had planned for. Does anyone know what they were talking about yet? I hope they weren't referring to people playing through without neuromods or something.

I haven't done it myself but someone said it was killing every single Human before Dahl shows up at which point he thanks you for doing his job and gives you an awkward ride in his Shuttle.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Jack Trades posted:

I haven't done it myself but someone said it was killing every single Human before Dahl shows up at which point he thanks you for doing his job and gives you an awkward ride in his Shuttle.

That one has an achievement so it probably too obvious.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

SinineSiil posted:

That one has an achievement so it probably too obvious.

Going to spoil all this just to be safe. The dev already confirmed in a later tweet that he was talking about killing every single person on the station. You don't actually need to do that to get the achievement, you can get it by wiping Dahl's brain and then killing Dr. Igwe and the other passengers before boarding the shuttle yourself. There's another achievement besides the Dahl one for killing everyone though, so it was kind of dumb for him to hype that up as though it was some super secret thing.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Jack Trades posted:

Is that possible? What about Alex?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Is that possible? What about Alex?

There's a reason why psycheval asks you if you want to push the fat man.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Further Dahl questions:

When you wipe his mind, there's an option to record and play back a recording of his pre-wipe brain "used to re-acclimatise people after neuromod removal". Is that literally a "PRESS X TO FAIL QUEST" option?

I'm not falling for that one again, not after I accidentally spaced Igwe when I wasn't thinking about what the keypad would actually do.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Copper Vein posted:

Let's talk for a sec about how detailed this game can be in regards to saving the exact pattern of chaos that you leave in your wake as you move through the station.

There is a tight maintenance hallway behind Morgan's office that leads to the rear of the LG screen. This hallway comically has a glass floor in some spots with an IT office underneath. The first time I noticed this, I happily bashed a small hole through the glass so that I could fall into the IT office below, since I had never been in there at that time.

Much, much later in the game, I was being pursued by a certain persistent foe through the offices above the Talos lobby and thought that I could make a getaway if I ducked through that small maintenance hallway and punched through the LG screen on the other side like an awesome badass movie guy.

As I entered the dark corridor I flipped down my psycoscope in case there was a mimic in there and ran in a dozen steps or so in tunnel vision before crashing through the compromised glass floor and into IT office where a few Typhon were waiting for me.

I had completely forgotten about the glass floor. Over a dozen hours had passed in between when I cracked that glass, and when my dumb rear end fell through it. It's the permanance of those little details that sucked me into System Shock 2, and Prey is built out of little details.

Zomborgon posted:

There's a glass walkway spanning across the lobby, with one endpoint right at the hardware labs. Said walkway is breakable.

Guess what I did in the second hour of the game? I had to jump over that dang thing for 20 hours. I really wish I could fill it in with the GLOO gun instead of just marking the edges (which I had to do or else I'd blithely trip and fall through every time like a dumbass).

Yoooo I fell into the exact same trap many hours after breaking the walkway glass for funs at the beginning of the game, and it was the funniest thing of all time. I just stood there on my broken ankles laughing for like 5 minutes

Sorry for the old quote but I think I'm gonna go ahead and finish the game before coming back to this thread-- there's barely enough mystery in this game for me as it is and I hope there are still some surprises left for me in the game. I think I'm more than half way through but I don't want to know. Thank god they don't show a "% complete" next to your savegames.

I don't want this game to end :(

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

SinineSiil posted:

Pretty sure it was killing January and going without its guidance.

I'm realizing right now that December was probably supposed to be a bigger part of the game than he was for me, I blew him up the first time I saw him.

Two Owls posted:

Further Dahl questions:

When you wipe his mind, there's an option to record and play back a recording of his pre-wipe brain "used to re-acclimatise people after neuromod removal". Is that literally a "PRESS X TO FAIL QUEST" option?

I'm not falling for that one again, not after I accidentally spaced Igwe when I wasn't thinking about what the keypad would actually do.

I did that thing you did too. I accidentally killed half the station through my negligence and desire to press buttons.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
You know. I didn't know I wanted this until this weekend but I'd really love a game with the game design of Prey combined with the aesthetic sensibility of David Lynch.

Like you're someone plopped down into the first four episodes of the new Twin Peaks, and you just have to finish the scene.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Going to spoil all this just to be safe. The dev already confirmed in a later tweet that he was talking about killing every single person on the station. You don't actually need to do that to get the achievement, you can get it by wiping Dahl's brain and then killing Dr. Igwe and the other passengers before boarding the shuttle yourself.
So if this is true, in order to fullfil those requirements, you'd have to have killed Mikhaila and Sarah and possibly Sarah's survivors before wiping Dahl, then kill Igwe before you leave the Neuromod section after wiping Dahl, right? Because I think those characters disappear after Dahl gets wiped and don't reappear until you've already boarded the shuttle and can no longer attack anyone.

I'm realizing right now that December was probably supposed to be a bigger part of the game than he was for me, I blew him up the first time I saw him.

Did you actually meet December? I got a couple of phone calls from December early on, and then during one of the calls it was killed and I found its corpse later. I think I got an audio log or journal off of it?

I assumed that it was all scripted and the only operator that I was supposed to be interacting with long-term was January.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I got 1 call from december and then never saw or heard from it again

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Two Owls posted:

Further Dahl questions:

That just plays a pre-recorded TranStar thing. Dahl doesn't react to it unfortunately.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Even if you don't, January destroys December shortly after he/she first contacts you. You have to kill January beforehand to stop it from happening, which I did in my second playthrough, but nothing much really changes. December doesn't do too much more to guide you to Alex's escape pod besides a handful of lines which is basically the fake ending anyway, so you go through the rest of the game without a proper guide telling you what you're supposed to be doing.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Even if you don't, January destroys December shortly after he/she first contacts you. You have to kill January beforehand to stop it from happening, which I did in my second playthrough, but nothing much really changes. December doesn't do too much more to guide you to Alex's escape pod besides a handful of lines which is basically the fake ending anyway, so you go through the rest of the game without a proper guide telling you what you're supposed to be doing.

There's a scene I chuckled at if you choose to blow up the station and escape using Alex's escape pod while December is still alive.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Floodkiller posted:

There's a scene I chuckled at if you choose to blow up the station and escape using Alex's escape pod while December is still alive.

Tell more please

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Just started playing, and noticed the mimics at the beginning have remains I can't take yet. Will those corpses still be there later once I have the upgrade necessary?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Just started playing, and noticed the mimics at the beginning have remains I can't take yet. Will those corpses still be there later once I have the upgrade necessary?

Yes.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

limited posted:

Not sure if I'm going to do a Typhon playthrough yet though, I've got my fingers crossed they do something to make the hacking minigame less tedious. It'll be boring as poo poo so much fun hacking all the turrets. :barf:

What? This is the least tedious hacking in any game I have played in a long time.

I just got to the Arboreteum and looked out the window and saw what looks to be a space shuttle floating way off in space. Is that something I can get to/in? Does a quest take me there? If there is a quest I will wait, but otherwise I really want to go check it out.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

D-Pad posted:

What? This is the least tedious hacking in any game I have played in a long time.

I just got to the Arboreteum and looked out the window and saw what looks to be a space shuttle floating way off in space. Is that something I can get to/in? Does a quest take me there? If there is a quest I will wait, but otherwise I really want to go check it out.

Relating to the shuttle outside, I explored it early, and when I finally visited the bridge, a quest autocompleted.

I don't know if it's related though.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

D-Pad posted:

You can go just fly out there to it. I don't think there was a questline related to it but there's some stuff to see and a Transcribe to collect.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I did it! I beat the game! (a few times in "rapid" succession)

Who the fucks idea was it to make the last act of the game 90% loving load screens, and then put the ending behind an unskippable credits scene.
Edit: Apparently it is skippable? I couldn't figure out how.

Aside from that serious issue and the fact that the last act was bugged to hell and back such that it managed to take me like 3 hours to complete, what, 15 minutes worth of gameplay?

Aside from that, it was great.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 24, 2017

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Relating to the shuttle outside, I explored it early, and when I finally visited the bridge, a quest autocompleted.

I'm guessing that the mission that completed is the one about the other shuttle, which starts on the bridge. You completed it by doing nothing, a valid choice.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

D-Pad posted:

There is a quest but the quest is literally just "go check out the shuttle" so

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I am in the arboretum and almost killed a phantom. It warped away, and I don't know where it went. I went back to where it 'started off' and it's not there. I know I didn't kill it :( I want to loot its corpse. Apparently they can gently caress off to anywhere on the level?

redreader fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 24, 2017

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

DancingShade posted:

They're literally hand made on a space station by artisans. Bespoke neuromods.

Yeah they're definitely insanely expensive.
Except the dozens of neurmods I fabricated from pieces of recycled food, junk computer parts, and alien entrails. 0_o

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Mimics reproduce by murdering humans and are a component of neuromods. They're hand made in the sense that they're made of hands. And feet. And other human pieces.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

You can create phantoms, then kill them and collect the exotic materials.

Not that I'd ever kill a Typhon buddy.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

bewilderment posted:

Mimics reproduce by murdering humans and are a component of neuromods. They're hand made in the sense that they're made of hands. And feet. And other human pieces.
Yes, it's the supply of Typhon matter that truly sets the price of neuromods. There are only so many gulag lifers in the world.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

D-Pad posted:

There is a neurmod on that shuttle so I guess it's worth the trip. A bunch of convicts stowed away on the shuttle in an escape attempt, but so did a mimic and everyone got killed.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

About that shuttle: there is a side-quest that sends you there but hell if I remember where you get it. It's definitely missable though and you can explore the shuttle on your own and get the same result. Be sure to have points in repair and some spare parts when you get there though (if you're planning to use human powers) as there's a hidden compartment inside that you can't open otherwise so you'll have to come back later to collect that neuromod or whatever (if that's important to you anyway).

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
You get that quest in the Shuttle Bay.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I just beat the game after probably taking way too long to finish, but I wanted to make sure I got everything done!

Funnily, I actually lost a couple hours of gaming because I accidentally broke sequence before I was done with all the side-quests and stuff. After Dahl showed up and I disabled my tracking bracelet, I went around to do some side quests and while I was in the Hardware Labs doing something, I stumbled upon his computer guy and killed it, before the stuff in Life Support, before ever encountering Dahl in person at all, even before setting foot in the Shuttle Bay. Not long after that he started talking to me via radio and said "gently caress it i'm gonna go kill your dumbass brother myself" and a 5 minute timer popped up, so I hauled rear end from my office to the Arboretum and got there literally as Dahl was standing outside Alex's door, ready to bust it open and fry him (actually the first time he had opened the door before I zapped him and I actually broke the game, since it wanted to start the scene where Alex talked to you on the deck but couldn't because all hell had broken open). After that the deck scene happened like kinda normal and then when the Apex Typhon broke out I got the "take Dahl to a MedBay" message from Igwe so I dragged Alex into his bunker, dragged Dahl to the medbay nearby, waited for a while before i realized I had to go do something else to trigger the next thing, so I went into the lobby and when I got in there I got a message from Igwe telling me that Dahl had died somehow.

At that point I realized I had hosed it up so bad, not to mention there were a bunch of quests still to do, so I found my last quicksave which was from about two hours of gameplay before and just made sure to do everything in order. But I was really impressed that the game had so many contingencies for you doing things out of order.

My criticisms: (note i am on Xbox One)

*There were a few bugs I noticed. The first couple of times I went from the Arboretum into the Crew Quarters, and then went back to the Arboretum, the game froze up and I had to turn the console off and back on. I eventually learned to quicksave right before so I didn't lose any progress, but it eventually stopped doing that.
*a few other small bugs. I encountered a Nightmare in the lobby which knocked me through a wall down the elevator shaft landing me right on top of the elevator, which I couldn't get out of. One quest in particular I attempted to finish but for whatever reason it didn't register, and when I went on with the game I got a "Mission Failed" message about 15 minutes later the one where the guy sends a distress signal for you to save him in the trauma center, but it turns out he's already dead. I saw his corpse and figured I'd get out of there since I had other poo poo to do, but I didn't kill all of the military operators so it didn't register as "finished", which I think single-handedly hosed up my "full empathy" run.
*The end boss is very menacing, but not actually terribly dangerous. The tentacles didn't seem like they ever did anything to me, even when I stood still to research them all the way in Psychotronics. At that point I was basically a superhero anyways, I hadn't really met a serious challenge in a while. Not after fully upgrading my shotgun and stun-gun, anyways.

Overall though, this is a really great game. It's exactly up my alley, with Bioshock being one of my favorite games and the -Shock genre in generally always being enjoyable. I really dug the theme of the game in general. It's very hard to do the "moral choice" thing in a game with real consequences that weigh on someone but don't either ruin the game or end up being pointless, and the way it's pulled off in this game (allowing for players to make their own choices and not split into "good/bad" with just two diametrically opposed endings) is probably one of the best instances I've played. Empathy isn't a word that exists in gaming world for the most part, and you wouldn't buy it without the world that the developers created. All of the people seem to have their own lives and identities, and the station itself is a very lived in place. There's a lot more to Talos I than would appear on the surface, and I feel like there will be little discoveries and realizations happening in the days and months to come. It also helps that it was a blast to play. I did a human-only run and never for a minute wished I was using Typhon abilities, except possibly to do something with the massive buildup of exotic material I had (since I had to continuously build ammo, I didn't do as many neuromods as I could have). The guns were all really fun to use, and especially towards the end when they were all massively overpowered. I generally pick shotguns when I have an option in shooters, so making it so useful really endeared the game to me even more.

I'll probably return the game to the Redbox tomorrow, but if I see it for sale during Black Friday or something for $20 I'll happily pick it up again to play a different way.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

This game owns bones so far.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

redreader posted:

I am in the arboretum and almost killed a phantom. It warped away, and I don't know where it went. I went back to where it 'started off' and it's not there. I know I didn't kill it :( I want to loot its corpse. Apparently they can gently caress off to anywhere on the level?

They will hide - I've found them cowering behind stairs and other cabinets. It only happened occasionally to me, but it seemed to happen more often once I upgraded the shotgun, so maybe if you do enough damage in one shot they run.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Is unlocking typhon powers going to deny me the good ending? I have a feeling it will, in which case it's dumb to have a disincentive to use all the neat things they came up with.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

snoremac posted:

Is unlocking typhon powers going to deny me the good ending? I have a feeling it will, in which case it's dumb to have a disincentive to use all the neat things they came up with.

Your feeling is wrong. There is a disincentive, but it's not a plot thing, it's more to not make the game too easy if you have all the magic powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I've been struggling in combat in the later part of the game (past crew quarters) and I'm starting to think I should unlock the nodes that let me upgrade weapons past level 1.