Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, WHY ARE THEY EVEN CONSIDERING TURNING INDY INTO A PLATE TRACK :allbuttons:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Don't forget, they're also using a tall spoiler and splitter there as well for Xfinity.

And the why is for "Competition"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
from what i remember of old Grand-Am, everyone should be thankful that it isn't the Phoenix roval at least

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

Also, WHY ARE THEY EVEN CONSIDERING TURNING INDY INTO A PLATE TRACK :allbuttons:

no survivors

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

dentist toy box posted:

The Charlotte roval has to be the worst roval in existence, But I mean the race is a guaranteed demolition derby though. Hopefully they'll update the track?

no. nothing will ever top kansas' roval.

this is seriously a real thing they made.

the real winning move would've been not putting vegas in the chase, keeping new hampshire and using that roval, it's actually good for what it is.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

iospace posted:

Here's the thing, NASCAR is extremely stupid

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Slickdrac posted:

Don't forget, they're also using a tall spoiler and splitter there as well for Xfinity.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Here's the thing, NASCAR is extremely stupid
Next thread title

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

shyduck posted:

Next thread title

Mods?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's not wrong.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

financially racist posted:

the real winning move would've been not putting vegas in the chase, keeping new hampshire and using that roval, it's actually good for what it is.

Haha I was going to mention the Kansas roval. I can't believe Grand Am held a race on that thing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's not like Daytona's is much better. As randomly placed as the bus stop is, it does break up the back stretch a bit.

Though it does have the nice advantage of allowing makers to test their engines at full throttle for extended periods of times in an endurance setting, so I can't hate it too much because of that.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

despite the dumbness of the track I do remember it was a really good race so I don't even know anymore.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

iospace posted:

Because they forgot 9/17.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Genocide Tendency posted:

Because they forgot 9/17.
Maybe Jeff Burton will come out of retirement for this one!

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Is there any possibility they're doing this so it can be an utter disaster and they can say "Welp, we tried a road course, didn't work, never again!"

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
I don't think NASCAR is in a position to purposely fail at something to prove a point. This is probably a literal desperate measure to get some attention without breaking any contracts (like moving it to an actual proper non-sucky roadcourse)

Seriously that track is total bullshit

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Dudley posted:

Is there any possibility they're doing this so it can be an utter disaster and they can say "Welp, we tried a road course, didn't work, never again!"

Never attribute to malice what you can attribute to stupidity.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

financially racist posted:

Charlotte is unremarkably midpack in the league table of good to bad roval courses but the new extra-twisty layout will be hilariously unsuited to a NASCAR tank.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Why can't they just move Sears Point or the Glen into the Chase?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

This is still my favourite video on the Kansas road course. Though I'd say the infield course at Fontana might be worse since it's just lines on the ground. At least they're changing the pit lane though, as hilarious as the old Charlotte road pit exit would've been.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

wicka posted:

Why can't they just move Sears Point or the Glen into the Chase?

As much as I'd love to see NorCal or Upstate NY in October I don't think NASCAR would.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

njsykora posted:

This is still my favourite video on the Kansas road course. Though I'd say the infield course at Fontana might be worse since it's just lines on the ground. At least they're changing the pit lane though, as hilarious as the old Charlotte road pit exit would've been.

I remember watching a Grand-Am race there on TV in like 2005 and thinking "God, this is a stupid track.".

The only memory I have of watching a race on the Kansas roval was the one year Jordan Taylor had to hold Scott Pruett off for like 6 laps to win there.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I like the Fontana roval. It at least isn't "Oh, let's take nearly the entire oval, and make them do a small detour for a bit, and then have them come out right by where they came in!"

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

I'd put Fontana's rovals near the top as far as layout goes but because half of the infield section is just cones laid out on a car park it just looks so ugly.

Putting in a few actual kerbs and throwing some gravel and grass down would go a long way if anybody there was so inclined.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Excellent new title :golfclap:

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Genocide Tendency posted:

Never attribute to malice what you can attribute to stupidity.

That's what I was afraid of.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

iospace posted:

I like the Fontana roval. It at least isn't "Oh, let's take nearly the entire oval, and make them do a small detour for a bit, and then have them come out right by where they came in!"

by the low standards of rovals it's one of the better ones.

pocono has an alright layout as well, so does homestead (i was pleasantly surprised how much i enjoyed homestead's roval in forza 6).

they're all better than fuckin charlotte at the very least, that's for goddamn sure.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Honestly, and this is bias, IMS has the best one.

Then again, they actually designed it with high speed F1 cars in mind, then modified it a bit for motorcycles, and now once again for indy cars. It makes use of the front stretch, a little of the short chute between 1 and 2, and that's it for the regular course.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

L_Harrison posted:

edit: also, the start/finish line is in the braking zone to turn 1, which will cause insanity for qualifying and last lap stuff.

The Talladega roval I downloaded and used to run in NR2003, which I think was based off the real one, had you hard on the brakes as you came to the start/finish line, as you were turning into the infield. I would just run wide open and plow into the tires so I'd win the pole sometimes.

Fun configuration, by the way.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

iospace posted:

Honestly, and this is bias, IMS has the best one.

Then again, they actually designed it with high speed F1 cars in mind, then modified it a bit for motorcycles, and now once again for indy cars. It makes use of the front stretch, a little of the short chute between 1 and 2, and that's it for the regular course.

IMS can get away with the track configuration is has because the track is a rectangle on a massive plot of land. The garage facilities are out of the way of the places where they could do some halfway interesting things with the design, like the areas inside of T1 and T4. Even with half of the place unavailable to use because of the golf course, it still manages to be above-average by roval standards because of it.

Cookie-cutter D-ovals are inherently doomed to lovely roval designs due to the pit road configuration and how the infield facilities necessarily take up too much of the usable area. The best they could ever do is to have the oval portion link up to a smaller infield loop, since that's all there is ever room for. Trying to overdo it gets you something like what Charlotte is trying to do inside of turn 1, which just really proves how impossible it is to do something with them.

The only way to have a good roval track is to have a significant portion of it outside of the confines of the oval (New Hampshire) or to design the track/facility with road course considerations in mind from the start. Eurospeedway Lausitz is probably the only track in the world that's got a great road course inside of its oval, because that's how it was built to be.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
You can also do a Motegi and just happen to build the oval and road course on top of each other, without them sharing any bit of tarmac, but Motegi's road course stinks anyway.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

WindyMan posted:

The only way to have a good roval track is to have a significant portion of it outside of the confines of the oval (New Hampshire) or to design the track/facility with road course considerations in mind from the start. Eurospeedway Lausitz is probably the only track in the world that's got a great road course inside of its oval, because that's how it was built to be.

Lausitzring also has the bonus round option of this absurd monster:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
NASCAR 2017: PYF Oval/Road course tracks

Don't forget Monza has a beast of an oval track as well. Though I don't think anything runs on it anymore.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Hey, the HoF class of 2018 thing is tonight.

Give me Baker, Yates, Wilson, Hornaday, and Byron. I could also live with Ricky Rudd for how much he did as an owner driver. Squier deserves in, too, but he's already there.

E- Results:
-Yates
-Byron
-Evernham
-Squier
-Hornaday

Jim France wins the Nepotism Landmark Award.

Hornaday tied with Alan Kulwicki and Hornaday won the re-vote. What the gently caress did Buddy Baker have incriminating pictures of a France family member having sex with to still not get in?

Also, apparently Ken Squier has some racing experience- he's on NBCSN talking about how much he sucked and "after some bruises and losing a couple teeth, I realized there were other things I could do in racing".

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 25, 2017

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

You can also do a Motegi and just happen to build the oval and road course on top of each other, without them sharing any bit of tarmac, but Motegi's road course stinks anyway.

I like how Motegi is both a bad oval and bad road course, all in one.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Similar to Lausitzring, I'd suggest the "other" Rockingham.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

UK Rockingham is magnificent as a roval.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

A modern series on the Monza roval would make me the happiest man alive. I will never be happy.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

njsykora posted:

UK Rockingham is magnificent as a roval.

BTCC puts on good shows there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

DW said some smart things :vince:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/scott-fowler/article152425684.html

• Locked thread