Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
5-stacks in QM are very rarely actually coordinated teams, it's usually just some guy and a bunch of people he picked up in a chatroom for the xp bonus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kalko posted:

If there's a group imbalance the match-maker gives the non-grouped team a higher overall MMR than the grouped team to 'compensate' for the coordination of the grouped players but to be honest the only times I really notice it is when one team is queued as five and the other team is entirely solo queued. It feels like I win those games more often than not, but yeah anecdotal something something.

I guess it depends on how much you trust Blizzard's public statements in regard to this sort of thing but this complaint about full stacks against teams of smaller stacks has come up in Overwatch and the official word is that there's no real statistical advantage found in having a full stack, that is to say that people queuing as a full stack don't have any sort of measurable winrate increase over people on a team split into multiple smaller groups, but that they try to pair teams off equally when they can because people perceive going against a full stack as a disadvantage even though there's no real guarantee that five or six people who happen to be queuing together are any good just because they queued together.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Well they've stated it multiple times for HotS specifically and I recall checking hotslogs in the past and finding it seems to be true, though there are also a lot of games which aren't very balanced MMR-wise on that site and it's not necessarily due to grouping.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Here's how QM match making works:

1- A certain number of players between 1 and 5 all ready up.

2- Their names are placed into the pool of similarly ready people.

3- These names are printed on the floor of a large room. Groups of players are printed in a clump.

4- Blizzard gives a pack of baboons a bunch of meth and coffee beans.

5- The baboons are released into the room.

6- Blizzard waits for the baboons to poo poo all over enough names to make a game of 10 people, this takes a variable amount of time.

7- Those 10 players are thrown into a game. The map is determined by which map picture on the wall that the baboons threw the most poo poo at.

8- Sometimes the baboons get a, "little crazy." If blood touches a name of a player, that player will arbitrarily be booted from their game. If that blood isn't mixed with poo poo, they'll be allowed to rejoin the game. If the blood is mixed with semen, they'll actually get credit for the win.

Loot boxes may or may not have a similar reward generation system.

:eng101:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

It literally can't be more simple than spells do spell damage, attacks do attack damage. :shrug:

Spell implies the stuff Jaina does, and not say, tossing a grenade or slashing with claws. It used to be ability damage which was clearer imo so no idea why they changed it.

Is the armor from Uther's trait and some others just attack armor then? I thought it reduces all damage.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Carados posted:

Hots announcers are so much worse than Dota announcers I hope they get better as time goes on

I wish HotS had Rick and Morty like Dota2 does

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Just lol if you didn't play dota with Axe screaming at you through Deadmau5's techno soundscape :smug:

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Avalerion posted:

Spell implies the stuff Jaina does, and not say, tossing a grenade or slashing with claws. It used to be ability damage which was clearer imo so no idea why they changed it.

Is the armor from Uther's trait and some others just attack armor then? I thought it reduces all damage.

If it doesn't specify physical or spell it should apply to all damage. Uther just says "armor" afaik.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Really, they should go back and re-do all the HotS announcers besides like Gazlowe and Brightwing, because they have pretty much zero personality.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

I wish HotS had Rick and Morty like Dota2 does

I know you meant to say Stanley Parable, it's easy to confuse the two so I forgive you.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Bruceski posted:

Folks have some great lines for that. One of Gazlowe's is "it happens, just run back to your corpse and WHAT?! It's gone!"

*Extremely smug and amused* I guess you'll have to wait!

Don't forget the best part of that line.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Really, they should go back and re-do all the HotS announcers besides like Gazlowe and Brightwing, because they have pretty much zero personality.

Everyone just has very personalty when you play them too. Even Dva manages to be flatter

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Poultron posted:

$5 welcome pack is nice but I'm still legitimately salty that they're taking away Mega Bundles. That's dogshit.

I feel like they're going to offer something equivalent soon, it's too good (I'd say essential) at getting new blood into the game. But making it time limited was a good way to make people jump on it; I downloaded the game and logged in with zero intention of playing, just so I'd grab the pack before it expired in case I ever wanted to play in the future. Then I played a few tutorial matches before even getting to a menu screen and realized the game is pretty fun. If it was available forever I wouldn't have gotten it yet. But after a few weeks or something they need to offer another round or something because starting this game with twenty characters already feels daunting enough, no one is going to jump in in 2017 with one character.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Sometimes I think about how cool this game would be if people weren't toxic sacks of poo poo

I wonder what mobas are like in Japan

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Lol if you're not listening to podcasts or something and can actually hear the announcers

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

Sometimes I think about how cool this game would be if people weren't toxic sacks of poo poo

Yeah you absolutely gotta focus on your own play and disregard everything else. That includes giving salt and receiving salt. Sometimes I can't resist but i'm a work in progress

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Last night I was the banner and 2nd pick in ranked. Everyone on my team highlights an assassin instantly when they are able of course. I picked an assassin/bruiser and a guy on my team is like "wow dude we needed a healer" and other people chime in "what a dick" "way to be a team player." This actually happens a lot. Apparently draft is a race to see who highlights something last and then they have to be the healer. Build around that 4/5 pick Zeratul and Illidan. Seems legit.

edit: oops this is more of a whine. Whatever.

beejay fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 24, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

Exactly the same I'm sure

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

beejay posted:

Last night I was the banner and 2nd pick in ranked. Everyone on my team highlights an assassin instantly when they are able of course. I picked an assassin/bruiser and a guy on my team is like "wow dude we needed a healer" and other people chime in "what a dick" "way to be a team player." This actually happens a lot. Apparently draft is a race to see who highlights something last and then they have to be the healer. Build around that 4/5 pick Zeratul and Illidan. Seems legit.

But I have to play assassin, everyone knows the only way to rank up is to carry with a ranged assassin. What's the matter don't you want to win?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

beejay posted:

I just say "Pick Order > Call Order" and not say anything else. A lot of people when you call them on it will just back down.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

"Well, one of these heroes is now a robot. So, you know, enjoy that."
"Ayy, look who's back! Was it the router? Yeah, yeah, I bet it was the router."

I too use Gazlowe as my announcer.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Everyone just has very personalty when you play them too. Even Dva manages to be flatter

Well obviously she doesn't respect mobas and puts in little effort.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Mierenneuker posted:

"Well, one of these heroes is now a robot. So, you know, enjoy that."
"Ayy, look who's back! Was it the router? Yeah, yeah, I bet it was the router."

I too use Gazlowe as my announcer.

That second one was TOO REAL when it happened (because yes the router is currently my problem)

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

I will say that I think if last pick prepicks an assassin, and pickers 1-4 just pick what they want and assume the last guy will be forced into playing support?

I have zeeeeeero sympathy for them when that guy just instalocks the hero he indicated from the start. You knew he wanted the hero, you took a shot and it backfired. Suck it up.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

It is a dumb meta thing that in lower leagues at least it's a lottery and last pick usually means you are support. However, prepicking isn't some kind of dibs thing and if the team needs something and the last pick doesn't provide it, it's on him. If you just prepick Illidan every game and pick him no matter what, you are a garbage person and should not be playing draft. The other people have no obligation to let you have your guy every game.

edit: Unless you are saying the guy hovering Illidan as last pick is probably going to play Illidan no matter what so you should probably consider working around that. Which I agree with, grudgingly.

beejay fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 24, 2017

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

You'd be surprised pre-diamond how effective it is to ban garbage hard-lock prepicks, eg first/last Illidan when no shows are built around him.

You'd think it would tilt them but after doing it once as a joke to great success I leverage it every once in awhile if I'm banning; ie if nearly any choice would be better, tlv on 2lane, etc

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Honestly you should be able to cancel out of draft without penalty if the rest of your team picks 4 assassins and insists on wasting your time for the next 30 minutes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Honestly you should be able to cancel out of draft without penalty if the rest of your team picks 4 assassins and insists on wasting your time for the next 30 minutes.

And so a draft game never started again.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Gustav posted:

I will say that I think if last pick prepicks an assassin, and pickers 1-4 just pick what they want and assume the last guy will be forced into playing support?

I have zeeeeeero sympathy for them when that guy just instalocks the hero he indicated from the start. You knew he wanted the hero, you took a shot and it backfired. Suck it up.

Nah, everyone gets last pick sometimes. Suck it up and play what the team needs.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I know TL can do some gimmicky things with unorthodox hero comps but for HL at the very least it shouldn't let you launch without at least one tank and one support.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Nah, everyone gets last pick sometimes. Suck it up and play what the team needs.

I'm a team player, so I suck it up and play what the team needs every game, not just the 20% of games I'm last pick.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

chumbler posted:

Well obviously she doesn't respect mobas and puts in little effort.

She's just jealous that mobas are more popular than rts

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I like this game a lot, I'm thinking of heroes I want to try when I get home from work. I can't believe I finally cleansed myself of MMO's and now I'm playing a loving MOBA.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I've over hero level 100 and I haven't touched any sort of draft mode because I no idea how to effectively draft in this game.

I just realized that it doesn't loving matter, people are idiots, and if I'm given the bans I'm going to slam in Valeera and Nova every time because they're incredibly unfun to play against, thus making the world a better place.

I guess I'll do my placements after work or something.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Gustav posted:

I'm a team player, so I suck it up and play what the team needs every game, not just the 20% of games I'm last pick.

So if 1 and 2 pick assassins, then 5 picks an assassin, it's 1 or 2's fault?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm a team player, except when I have to pick last, which is you know the most crucial slot for making a comp actually work.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Renegret posted:

I've over hero level 100 and I haven't touched any sort of draft mode because I no idea how to effectively draft in this game.

I just realized that it doesn't loving matter, people are idiots, and if I'm given the bans I'm going to slam in Valeera and Nova every time because they're incredibly unfun to play against, thus making the world a better place.

I guess I'll do my placements after work or something.

I hate dealing with the draft, I'd literally just prefer to get QM style matched into a HL game even if it's bad. Also I don't know poo poo about drafting things and have no idea how to play a healer right now, and also I just want to play Murky forever.

I dread the day they add the Raven Lord as a reward for doing HL/TL because I'd want that mount with all my life

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

So if 1 and 2 pick assassins, then 5 picks an assassin, it's 1 or 2's fault?

Yes. Also 3, 4 and 5.

Assuming prepicks were made early and unambiguously.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I'd almost prefer it if you got a Brawl styled window for each pick that flat told you what role you were playing in HL because too many people believe things like "last pick gets highest priority in what they want to play" that eliminating the loving guesswork of who will suck it up and play a role might be good.

And this is coming from a dude that almost always plays warriors or support

Gustav posted:

Yes. Also 3, 4 and 5.

Assuming prepicks were made early and unambiguously.

This is stupid. If you get to pick 5 and you had Nova instalocked but we need a healer you're a loving rear end in a top hat if you pick Nova.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Blizzard should deal with the elephant in the room and use their analytical model to filter out whatever personality types contribute to being a Hanzo / Illidan instalock from all competitive modes.