Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Maybe I'm the only one, but I really didn't care at all if Laurie killed herself(I barely cared about Laurie at all), and I've found this last season to be pretty underwhelming. I am hoping for a mind blowing finale though in the vein of International Assassin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

UmOk posted:

She pretended to be catatonic for years for attention

Uh, when was this established?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

UmOk posted:

She pretended to be catatonic for years for attention.

But really we don't know too much about her. Maybe her being there with the molesters and murderers is saying something.

She wasn't pretending to be catatonic. She sustained a serious head injury from a car accident during the Departure. Her being on the Other Side probably signified that her mind was gone until she recovered. You can't fake being catatonic for literal years.

Is this one of those infamous "goons are bad at watching television" incidents I hear about so frequently?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

UmOk is usually a solid poster. That was a goofy thing he posted but you should cut him some slack IMO.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
.....I think it was just a joke, you guys.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

UmOK was joking.

Also, I think Laurie wanted to give the lighter to Kevin which is why she flipped out on Nora.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

It's hard to tell who's joking nowadays :negative: I'm sorry for being thick though

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Vanderdeath posted:

It's hard to tell who's joking nowadays :negative: I'm sorry for being thick though

We've all done it, no worries!

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Yeah that was just believable enough to take seriously. Between our complete inability to watch TV with any level of success and goon face blindness, I could see someone literally thinking that.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
goon face blindness is my favorite thing

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

goon face blindness is my favorite thing

I think I have an idea of what goon face blindness is but I'd absolutely love for someone to explain it real quick.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It's being bad at recognizing faces.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

HanabaL03 posted:

Why was Kevin Sr. carrying a bag of shoes when Laurie shows up in the VW Wagon?

I'm rewatching the episode and it seems weird that Grace mentioned at the end of the episode that they never found her kids shoes.

I must be dense, but I didn't really grasp what the point of that is. What is the significance that the kids didn't have shoes and that no one could find them. It does not make their suffering any worse, only adding another 'mystery' into the mix with what appears to be minimal intrigue.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

RCarr posted:

It's being bad at recognizing faces.

Yeah, really.

"Hey, is that guy the dude from episode ## from <other show>?"

"No, not at all, wow, how did you even think that up?"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

TraderStav posted:

I must be dense, but I didn't really grasp what the point of that is. What is the significance that the kids didn't have shoes and that no one could find them. It does not make their suffering any worse, only adding another 'mystery' into the mix with what appears to be minimal intrigue.

After finding out what actually happened to her kids, their lack of shoes has supplanted "they departed" as the mystery Grace can't have an answer to. Not a significant detail to anyone else, but a question that tortures her in her grief.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

JethroMcB posted:

After finding out what actually happened to her kids, their lack of shoes has supplanted "they departed" as the mystery Grace can't have an answer to. Not a significant detail to anyone else, but a question that tortures her in her grief.

Ah, that makes sense. Everyone in this world has to be suffering.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Actually the shoes are significant because they are the only case of clothes departing without the wearer.

I'll stop poo poo posting now. Internet sarcasm is hard.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

JethroMcB posted:

I disagree. It's a litmus test for whether what Kevin does is real. He has to ask them where their shoes are, and only if they are there will Grace believe anything else he says about his contact with her kids in the other world.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:

Onomarchus posted:

I disagree. It's a litmus test for whether what Kevin does is real. He has to ask them where their shoes are, and only if they are there will Grace believe anything else he says about his contact with her kids in the other world.

I just found it random that the writers would have Sr. Say "shoes" as apposed to "nothing" when he's asked what's in the bag.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Onomarchus posted:

That's what I got out of it too.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

TraderStav posted:

Ah, that makes sense. Everyone in this world has to be suffering.

More or less; without everybody suffering and dealing with the constant tumult of the soul in a world gone mad, there's not much of a show.

Onomarchus posted:

I thought what Laurie told Nora about why she and John stopped cold-reading Departures applied to Grace:
"Death is easy. People just want finality and an end to their grief. But with Departures, there is no end; and if we indicated otherwise, just by saying we could communicate to those individuals, it made their loved ones very, very angry. Because they didn’t want closure."

Then I realized that, while that does apply to Grace's transference of obsession with "Where did my children go" to "where did my children's SHOES go," it doesn't jibe with the fact that she drowned the first Police Chief Kevin she could get her hands on after finding a strange man holding a piece of paper that said "Police Chief Kevin could die, speak to the dead, and live again." She JUMPED at the chance to get that confirmation, assured of its divinity in the moment, but then I thought - what would she do if he came back and said "I spoke to them, and it turns out they put them under some rocks," and then they found a pile of rubber and cloth right where Police Chief Kevin told them to look? If Laurie's read on Departure-adjacent mourners holds true, I suspect she may not be willing to accept the mundane resolution that the kids are dead and their shoes were just wearing to tatters in the outback where they left them.

So at this point I think I've talked myself into "Grace really is just crazy."

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 26, 2017

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Potpourri:

Laurie never relays Matt's apology to Kevin, Jr. for putting him/Him in the Book.

Mr. Funny will be in the Hotel. For revenge.

If Laurie did kill herself at the end, there's a plothole or at least a flaw in her plan to make it look like an accidental death. Matt and/or Nora, if they are alive on the planet anyway, can blow the accident story out of the water (pun intended) if they tell people about the scuba suicide conversation they all had in the van. Of course Laurie could be relying on their consideration to keep quiet, but Matt and Nora are the kind of people who like to tell the truth and drat the consequences, except when they are doing the opposite of that.

Why did they steal that van anyway? Couldn't they just rent a car?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Onomarchus posted:

If Laurie did kill herself at the end, there's a plothole or at least a flaw in her plan to make it look like an accidental death. Matt and/or Nora, if they are alive on the planet anyway, can blow the accident story out of the water (pun intended) if they tell people about the scuba suicide conversation they all had in the van. Of course Laurie could be relying on their consideration to keep quiet, but Matt and Nora are the kind of people who like to tell the truth and drat the consequences, except when they are doing the opposite of that.

Laurie was assuming Nora was planning on going through the machine. But since she told her kids she was just hanging out, not scuba-diving in Australia, what she did was already off from the perfect suicide plan Nora gave her.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Where are all the dessert scenes filmed? Film Victoria is always listed in the credits, but I can't imagine anything like that existing in Victoria. I guess it could be up somewhere near the SA boarder but I'm curious.

What about the farmhouse/country scenes? I know there are dozens of Vic locations that that could be done, but it would be fun to know.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 25, 2017

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

UmOk posted:

Actually the shoes are significant because they are the only case of clothes departing without the wearer.

Do you have an MA in Literature?

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

JethroMcB posted:

More or less; without everybody suffering and dealing with the constant tumult of the soul in a world gone made, there's not much of a show.

I thought what Laurie told Nora about why she and John stopped cold-reading Departures applied to Grace:
"Death is easy. People just want finality and an end to their grief. But with Departures, there is no end; and if we indicated otherwise, just by saying we could communicate to those individuals, it made their loved ones very, very angry. Because they didn’t want closure."

Then I realized that, while that does apply to Grace's transference of obsession with "Where did my children go" to "where did my children's SHOES go," it doesn't jibe with the fact that she drowned the first Police Chief Kevin she could get her hands on after finding a strange man holding a piece of paper that said "Police Chief Kevin could die, speak to the dead, and live again." She JUMPED at the chance to get that confirmation, assured of its divinity in the moment, but then I thought - what would she do if he came back and said "I spoke to them, and it turns out they put them under some rocks," and then they found a pile of rubber and cloth right where Police Chief Kevin told them to look? If Laurie's read on Departure-adjacent mourners holds true, I suspect she may not be willing to accept the mundane resolution that the kids are dead and their shoes were just wearing to tatters in the outback where they left them.

So at this point I think I've talked myself into "Grace really is just crazy."

Doesn't she know they're dead? They found the bodies. So it's still as Laurie said: she knows her kids are dead and she can't have closure because of an unanswered question. She knows they didn't depart.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

theBeaz posted:

Doesn't she know they're dead? They found the bodies. So it's still as Laurie said: she knows her kids are dead and she can't have closure because of an unanswered question. She knows they didn't depart.

Yeah but they only found the bodies years later, IIRC.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

theBeaz posted:

Right, I'm saying that Grace became accustomed to having no closure. She had the glorious uncertainty of having her children Depart ripped away when their bodies were found, so she found a new question to fixate on. Even though she seems to want Kevin to get the answer for her I wonder if she'll be satisfied or willing to accept it if he can deliver it.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

JethroMcB posted:

Right, I'm saying that Grace became accustomed to having no closure. She had the glorious uncertainty of having her children Depart ripped away when their bodies were found, so she found a new question to fixate on. Even though she seems to want Kevin to get the answer for her I wonder if she'll be satisfied or willing to accept it if he can deliver it.

Only if it leads to finding their shoes I'd say.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I originally interpreted the shoe question as a grieving mother who wants to try and piece together the last hours of her children's lives. Maybe it's a test to see if Kevin successfully passes over but I doubt that she would do that.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

It reminds me of Kevin's struggles with the toaster and his shirts.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

It reminds me of Kevin's struggles with the toaster and his shirts.

Truly the high points of season 1, maybe only topped by Baby Jesus in the gutter or the lighter that says "DON'T FORGET ME" in case you couldn't piece together the meaning behind the gift.

Man, "B.J. and the A.C." was bad. The only out-and-out bad episode of this show (And even then it had one of my favorite moments, with the Guilty Remnant reps handing Tom the blank pamphlet.)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah but it's the one that has "Can I get you something to drink? Coffee... tea... ... ... Draino?"

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

Man, "B.J. and the A.C." was bad. The only out-and-out bad episode of this show (And even then it had one of my favorite moments, with the Guilty Remnant reps handing Tom the blank pamphlet.)

That's my least favorite of the show but I think it was necessary to have a relatively mundane episode early on as a foundation for the rest to build on.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Carrie Coon is going to get nominated for best supporting actress for two different shoes this year.

Also the actors and dialogue are so good. I just realized there hasn't been any action scenes in like 3 weeks. All dialogue. So so good.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
One thing this episode proved is that television has perfected fake vomiting. Maybe now they can stop showing it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

clown shoes posted:

One thing this episode proved is that television has perfected fake vomiting. Maybe now they can stop showing it.
Nah, when Laurie throws up her puke, you can clearly tell its coming from a pouch hidden behind her head. The relative camera depth of the puke and her mouth are noticeably different.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
We've come so far since "Rookie Cop."
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/rookie-cop/2868167?snl=1

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Looten Plunder posted:

Where are all the dessert scenes filmed? Film Victoria is always listed in the credits, but I can't imagine anything like that existing in Victoria. I guess it could be up somewhere near the SA boarder but I'm curious.

What about the farmhouse/country scenes? I know there are dozens of Vic locations that that could be done, but it would be fun to know.

The farm is up in the You Yangs, which is about 45 minutes out of Melbourne, where Mad Max (1) was filmed. According to Film Vic they used the Little River Biodiversity Interpretation Centre. Which is located right next to the Ford proving grounds, but having a quick look I can't see any farmhouse right next to a dam/pond that matches the show. Funnily enough one of the quarries right near there was used for filming the Iwo Jima episodes of The Pacific when they filled it with volcanic ash soil and the inland (airfield attack) scenes of Guadalcanal were also filmed up there.

A press release also mentions a few scenes being filmed in Clunes, possibly where Kevin Sr. was walking in his episode. An old gold mining town which has a distinctive 'western' main street (again, a Mad Max 1 location)

I have no clue where the desert-y scenes were filmed, someone online said Silverton (Broken Hill, where Mad Max 2 was filmed) but I dunno about that. Could be somewhere in the North West of Victoria.

Film Vic does have a location scouting gallery though: https://www.film.vic.gov.au/choose-victoria/locations/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Nah, when Laurie throws up her puke, you can clearly tell its coming from a pouch hidden behind her head. The relative camera depth of the puke and her mouth are noticeably different.

Why didn't she puke into the toilet

• Locked thread