Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So with the new firmware adding controller support any chance my Wii U controllers will be useful to keep around ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Louisgod posted:

Well the ZR button on my joycon finally broke, it felt odd for a while but now it's done.

I'll call Nintendo tomorrow but does anybody know how much Nintendo repairs them for or if they're covered by the warranty? May as well buy a new pair in the meantime.

When I sent in my faulty left joycon, I was told they each have a 90 day warranty. The warranty was restarted on my left one after they sent it to me.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's not even the first time mario has had a gun!!!

But yeah idk, I don't like the idea of not having direct control over them but I'll have to wait and see how the game looks during the actual announcement. Hopefully the official announcement will contain less weird poo poo like turtle shelves and cussing lol

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Why doesn't Ubisoft just make a Captain N style game if they want a Nintendo branded cash-in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpA8ZIJ2ynI

Why doesn't a good company make a Captain N style game?

Someone make a Captain N game

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I've been wanting captain n in smash bros for years now

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kids love Rabbids only 30+ year olds even know what Captain N is

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Kids love Rabbids

is that even true at all

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

So with the new firmware adding controller support any chance my Wii U controllers will be useful to keep around ?

It's the 8bitdo controller's firmware that's been updated to support the switch, not the other way around

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

alf_pogs posted:

is that even true at all

Well Minions have probably taken over now but they had a TV series, so more popular than Rayman at least

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

jyrque posted:

8Bitdo controllers are really great and now I have a reason to buy another one.

Can I download the firmware update to a PC ahead of time and install​ it somewhere I have no internet connection? I really like the look of the controller but I am getting ready to go out on a ship for three months or so without internet.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Good grief, I own one of the NES 8bitdo controllers. That is pretty awesome that I can just connect it to the switch now :D

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Kids love Rabbids only 30+ year olds even know what Captain N is

Thats why he should be in smash imo

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Spacebump posted:

When I sent in my faulty left joycon, I was told they each have a 90 day warranty. The warranty was restarted on my left one after they sent it to me.

Oh, the Joy-cons that come with the Switch are only good for 90 days? I should probably get my left one sent in like now then. I was putting it off because I was playing handheld Isaac like every day but I've calmed down on that.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Lol wonder how that works in countries that have real warranty protection that protects you for the expected lifetime of a product.

Regardless of whatever stupidity the manufacturer tried to pull.

E: looks like a standard twelve months for the switch and its accessories

https://www.nintendo.com.au/nintendo-switch-warranty

iajanus fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 24, 2017

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I tried the Disgaea 5 demo and I just don't understand why this is such a popular game. Does anyone experience it as fun? Is it the anime people? I really tried to like it, help me understand the draw.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
give me

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Cithen posted:

I tried the Disgaea 5 demo and I just don't understand why this is such a popular game. Does anyone experience it as fun? Is it the anime people? I really tried to like it, help me understand the draw.

It's got a really good "numbers go up" experience, and the adjacency-based teamwork mechanics are a relatively compelling tactical subsystem.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

How long until Nintendo pushes out a Switch update that makes 8bitdo stuff not work anymore?

Edit: Holy dogshit, this 8bitdo company makes a Bluetooth adapter for SNES. As in, you plug the adapter into your SNES console and then you can connect a DualShock 4 or whatever.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 24, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Please don't taint those good series with Splatoon garbage, tia.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I will fight you.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Idk why you'd post something so incredibly dumb!!!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kashuno posted:

Idk why you'd post something so incredibly dumb!!!

I bought a Switch my intelligence has never been in question.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Disgaea 1 had a fun story with characters I gave a poo poo about as well as it's brutal numbers gameplay, and it feels like subsequent games coast on those characters a whooole bunch sometimes.

Anyway question: Are there any indy killer apps if I only want to get a single AAA game bundle to start? I'm considering getting a Switch with Zelda but surely even Zelda isn't so good it'll be the only game I need until Splatoon 2? Please not Binding of Isacc, I dislike it.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Pierson posted:

Disgaea 1 had a fun story with characters I gave a poo poo about as well as it's brutal numbers gameplay, and it feels like subsequent games coast on those characters a whooole bunch sometimes.

Anyway question: Are there any indy killer apps if I only want to get a single AAA game bundle to start? I'm considering getting a Switch with Zelda but surely even Zelda isn't so good it'll be the only game I need until Splatoon 2? Please not Binding of Isacc, I dislike it.

Zelda is extremely good and I typically don't like the Zelda games very much. Mario Kart and Disgaea 5 are also awesome.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Pierson posted:

Zelda's good for a solid month, or two (or three) if you go whole hog and have to 100% it. Binding of Isaac is that indie killer app that can be played for months until Splatoon 2, sorry. If you're new to Mario Kart 8, definitely get that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Everybody knows Splatoon is from the Mario universe in the "Mario dies on Delphino Island, the goop takes over" timeline.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

enojy posted:

Zelda's good for a solid month, or two (or three) if you go whole hog and have to 100% it. Binding of Isaac is that indie killer app that can be played for months until Splatoon 2, sorry. If you're new to Mario Kart 8, definitely get that.
I'm 100% new to Mario Kart (well, this particular MK at least, I had it on SNES/N64/3DS etc) but is the singleplayer any good, because nobody know gives a poo poo about kart games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not really, it's the same single player almost every Mario Kart ever has had, a bunch of four course cups in increasing difficulty with cheating bastard AI.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Its fine, online is the real draw though

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Can I download the firmware update to a PC ahead of time and install​ it somewhere I have no internet connection? I really like the look of the controller but I am getting ready to go out on a ship for three months or so without internet.

Doesn't seem like anyone answered you. If I remember right from the last time I updated the firmware, it's a executable that can install it without network access. Just have the firmware file (I think it comes with the installer program) and a USB cable to connect to the controller, as well as any Windows machine.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Pierson posted:

I'm 100% new to Mario Kart (well, this particular MK at least, I had it on SNES/N64/3DS etc) but is the singleplayer any good, because nobody know gives a poo poo about kart games.

Zelda is one of the best single player games in years. Mario Kart is best enjoyed with other people. Single player Mario Kart is only good for unlocking things or if you like beating time trials in other racing games.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I haven't actually updated the firmware as the controller works just fine out-of-the-box for my own purposes (RetroPie controller). I suppose you can just download the files now and then apply them later. I'll report back once I get around to testing the firmware for Switch.

The developer's web site is a bit janky but serviceable:
http://support.8bitdo.com/#tab2

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Ineffiable posted:

Doesn't seem like anyone answered you. If I remember right from the last time I updated the firmware, it's a executable that can install it without network access. Just have the firmware file (I think it comes with the installer program) and a USB cable to connect to the controller, as well as any Windows machine.

I appreciate the information.

jyrque posted:

I haven't actually updated the firmware as the controller works just fine out-of-the-box for my own purposes (RetroPie controller). I suppose you can just download the files now and then apply them later. I'll report back once I get around to testing the firmware for Switch.

The developer's web site is a bit janky but serviceable:
http://support.8bitdo.com/#tab2

Nice! Thanks for the link. I am going to order one of the controllers and have it delivered while I am underway. I've been waiting on a Pro controller I ordered from Amazon but it's been lost in the mail for the past couple of weeks.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Nice! Thanks for the link. I am going to order one of the controllers and have it delivered while I am underway. I've been waiting on a Pro controller I ordered from Amazon but it's been lost in the mail for the past couple of weeks.

FYI every target I've been to lately has had a ton of pro controllers out on the shelf, you could just go buy one in store most likely. It'll work munch better for most gaming than an 8bitdo thing.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

That's a shame. :( Hope you get yours soon. It's a very nice controller with solid build quality and ease of connecting between different devices.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

big mean giraffe posted:

FYI every target I've been to lately has had a ton of pro controllers out on the shelf, you could just go buy one in store most likely. It'll work munch better for most gaming than an 8bitdo thing.

I am in Japan and have seen a ton of joycon controllers in stores but I haven't seen anyone carrying the pro controller over here. I am sure the pro controller will eventually arrive but having another controller that could work on my PC and my android tablet is pretty tempting.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Everybody knows Splatoon is from the Mario universe in the "Mario dies on Delphino Island, the goop takes over" timeline.

This would explain the bloopers (they were big on Delphino) and it's also consistent with the :unsmigghh:

oh god I think you might be right

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I've never played a Rayman game, and looking at that MarioxRabbids art has me scared.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

irlZaphod posted:

I've never played a Rayman game, and looking at that MarioxRabbids art has me scared.

Rayman Legends is well worth your time if you want fun 2D platforming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah as much of a joke as 'Rayman gets ported to everything' it's a legit good game
(When you buy it from a bargain bin for $10, don't pay full price for it these days)

It sounds like I'm making GBS threads on it, but I'm not. Just wish they'd do new stuff instead of porting the same game 20 loving times.

• Locked thread