Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Rookie contracts should be more than 2 years or have clauses for team opted extensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

One of the most contentious issues in the modern game - free agency - is about to be relaxed in the new collective bargaining agreement with the players.

Under a raft of proposed changes, the AFL Players Association has demanded three significant reforms in a bid to allow footballers greater freedom of movement.

Fairfax Media understands that the AFL has agreed to introduce at least one of the following free agency platforms as early as next season and definitely by 2019:

Free agency for life - any player remains a free agent after eight years of service in the game regardless of how many years he has played at his current club;
Portable free agency - any player can move to the club of his choice after eight years' service whether or not those years have all been at the one club;
Four-year free agency - any player earning on or under the median AFL wage would be free to choose a new club after four years of service.

Players potentially falling into that four-year category at the end of 2017 include Zak Jones (Sydney), Blake Acres (St Kilda), Jarman Impey (Port Adelaide), Daniel McStay (Brisbane) and Tom Barrass (West Coast).

Having pushed for but failed to reduce the free agency eligibility period to six years of service at one club, the AFLPA has succeeded in achieving at least one, but potentially all three, of the above reforms aimed at improving the livelihoods of older players and those younger players struggling for opportunities.

The AFL has not yet communicated the free agency reform proposals to the clubs but the new relaxed guidelines are expected to be put forward in the middle of next month when head office has scheduled a meeting of the game's working party on player movement.

The move to further relax player movement comes in a week when respected club football operations boss Neil Balme reiterated his distaste for free agency. Balme said of the club's current predicament with reigning club champion Dustin Martin: "we are in this situation due to free agency and we had no say in it but the AFL brought it in and it's here.

"I personally don't think it's good for footy."

The player movement working group, which includes the AFL's Andrew Dillon, Gold Coast's Scott Clayton, Geelong's Stephen Wells and St Kilda's Ameet Bains will also debate the push to increase the initial contract periods for top drafted players.

Brisbane coach Chris Fagan, discussing the impending departure of Josh Schache, called for three-to-four year contracts for first-round draft picks, something the AFL put to the players early in CBA negotiations but did not prioritise.

The view of the AFLPA is that mandating talented teenagers to longer term contracts would only be acceptable were the league prepared to reduce the restricted free agency requirements from eight to six years. The current model is ten years unrestricted and eight years restricted with the players union unsuccessfully pushing for an eight-six model.

Eddie Betts, who moved to Adelaide after nine seasons at Carlton, and Patrick Dangerfield, who became a restricted free agent after eight seasons at the Crows, would be free agents for life under the revised model meaning they could move to a third club of choice at any time once coming out of contract having reached the eligibility criteria at their respective first clubs.

Under discussions with the AFL, the players have argued that the suggested reforms could provide greater job security for older players serving one-year contracts.

The proposed four-year rule would open up chances for players sitting at or below the 50th percentile of AFL wage earners - less than $220,000-$250,000 - who could move to a new club of their choice with no compensation.

Also among the plethora of players in that category is the Giants' Nathan Wilson in his fifth season at GWS. The four-year rule has also been proposed by the players as an equalisation measure given that footballers struggling for opportunities at successful clubs would relocate to less successful clubs seeking regular selection.

Brisbane ruckman Stefan Martin, in his fourth year with the Lions after playing five seasons at Melbourne, would have been classified as a restricted free agent at the end of last season under the portable free agency model.

Because the players wage negotiations have now dragged into midway through the first year of the new broadcast rights agreement, the AFLPA has accepted that the game will struggle to settle the new free agency rules in time for next season. However the AFL has undertaken to introduce the reforms in time for 2019 at the latest.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

AFLPA is to the ACA as the SDA is to the... AMWU? What's a good normal people union that fights for the rank and file rather than selling them out so the top minority can profit?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

NTRabbit posted:

Yeah but they're not just walking out on Brisbane either, they're walking out on Gold Coast and the Giants too, it's just less noticeable because they have a hundred each - the hottest prospect shopping himself around this year is Josh Kelly, and it's not like the Giants are anchored to the bottom of the ladder, lacking in money, and mired in off field troubles. Jake Lever from Adelaide, Zak Jones from Sydney are also 22 year olds shopping themselves.

The Giants are losing doods because many of them can't get a game. It's a bit poo poo knowing you are an in demand talent relegated to the NEAFL every second week.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
And anybody signing or trading for suns players just ends up looking like an idiot anyways.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
*loud banging on the door* Gold Coast! It is us, the Victorian cabal, here to extort you out of your best young talent. We have come to take your Jaeger O'Meara. Do not resist us.

For real? Awesome! Hey everyone, if you happen to spot Jaeger tell him to pack his poo poo and get the gently caress out of my goddamn facility.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Volkerball posted:

*loud banging on the door* Gold Coast! It is us, the Victorian cabal, here to extort you out of your best young talent. We have come to take your Jaeger O'Meara. Do not resist us.

For real? Awesome! Hey everyone, if you happen to spot Jaeger tell him to pack his poo poo and get the gently caress out of my goddamn facility.

stop calling your trailer a facility already

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Solemn Sloth posted:

We upgraded to a studio apartment this off-season, please don't spread lies.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Solemn Sloth posted:

I think they actually have a real facility now.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
lmao the victorian cabal

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
dees got bianca jakobsson, noice

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Carlton has continued to strengthen its AFLW stocks after reaching an agreement with Brisbane to welcome Tayla Harris to the Blues. 

The complex trade made on Thursday sees Harris arrive at Carlton along with the Western Bulldogs’ pick 12 in the 2018 AFLW National Draft.

To secure Harris, the Blues traded three of their inaugural players - Bella Ayre and Nat Exon to Brisbane and Bianca Jakobsson to Melbourne.

Carlton AFLW coach Damien Keeping said he was delighted to have secured the star forward's services.

"It’s a real endorsement for our club to have a player of the calibre of Tayla wanting to be a part of our journey," Keeping said.

"She was the leading contested marker in the competition this season and we will look to capitalise on that strength all over the ground."

Initially recruited to Brisbane as the Lions’ first marquee player in 2016, Harris lived up to expectation across the inaugural women’s season. 

The 20-year-old finished the year with an average of seven disposals as well as a total of 23 marks and four goals. 

The promising forward, who led the league for contested marks in 2017, becomes the second inaugural AFLW player to join the Blues during the 2017 AFLW Trade Period, joining former Collingwood best-and-fairest winner Nicola Stevens at Ikon Park

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Visy deals all over again imo

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014

NTRabbit posted:

Match of the round this weekend, 1 v 2

Sam Reid's Achilles vs Enviousity in the Goon Golden Spoon

Hinkley insisting he won't tag Dangerfield :getin:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I reckon we lost out in this deal.

Not too happy with it, I know Harris is good but not Jakobsson, Exon and Ayre plus pick 12 good.

Well, Jakobsson for Pick 12 was a separate trade with Melbourne, which seems really, really unfair. BJ being pick 3 last year for an unknown quantity in pick 12. Trump would say it was the worst deal.

Edit: At least blue suits her

drunkill fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 25, 2017

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

yeah im pretty happy with jakobsson, we were crying out for that strong bodied half forward connecting player

harris is more a high profile player and has the benefit of only being 20. she only really dominated one game (against freo), sabrina frederick-traub was a far more valuable player to brisbane than her

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Whitecross finally gets to 100 games, well deserved. Bruest gets 150 and two debutants in Willsmore and Cousins. Hartung dropped which is good but Langford dropped again which I'm loving fuming about. Again. Exciting selections, anyway. Pity about the thumping we're gonna get.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

David Mackay returns after being dropped for one game where he didn't even play in the reserves (traveling emergency), Crows fans in a meltdown approaching a 1 on the Richmond scale

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

kent and weideman dropped with salem suspended, to be replaced by melksham, neal-bullen and harmes

guess the plan is for petracca to play deep forward i guess, not sure how thats going to go.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Tommy English is debuting for the Bulldogs. Kid has been killing it in the VFL playing since he's essentially a gigantic midfielder.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I hope David Mackay doesn't have social media.

It's not his fault he keeps getting picked

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

realbez posted:

Whitecross finally gets to 100 games, well deserved. Bruest gets 150 and two debutants in Willsmore and Cousins. Hartung dropped which is good but Langford dropped again which I'm loving fuming about. Again. Exciting selections, anyway. Pity about the thumping we're gonna get.

This is going to be a humiliation and Hartung (eugh) and Langford (yay!) will be back in the team next week.
I'm also happy for Whitecross, just a shame his games are coming now instead of two years ago.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snaeksikn posted:

kent and weideman dropped with salem suspended, to be replaced by melksham, neal-bullen and harmes

guess the plan is for petracca to play deep forward i guess, not sure how thats going to go.

We're going to lose anyway so who cares what the structure is

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

*dangerfield bobbles a simple handball receive risking turnover*

Gee Dangerfield was so good there!

Thanks Bruce.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

oh sure, geelong couldnt loving miss when they played us, but now...

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I may be having an aneurysm but I swear Bruce just named Nathan Jones as one of the other current Irish players with over 100 games

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Port's jumper looks pretty baller tonight.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I liked when Bruce said of Powell pepper's don't argue "he's just one of those guys that says don't come on me"

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Tuohy's goal was sick

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Whoever was on Hawkins just then... that was really bad defending

Edit: and again lol

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
If the Cats start to kick straight this could turn into a blowout.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Good to see the Selwood rule is still alive and well.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Lol for once I agree with a Scott brother. How is that not deliberate?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Port taking advantage of Geelong's bad kicking earlier on.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Every rule (or umpires interpretation) these days punishes players for attacking the ball.

Deliberate out of bounds when they're trying to move forward, contact below the knees when attacking the ball, players dropping to their knees then tackled for a high tackle/in the back. All garbage.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

The Deadly Hume posted:

Port's jumper looks pretty baller tonight.

Yeah they definitely have the pick out of all the indigenous round jumpers.

Giants have the worst by a mile

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Joel Selwood can choke on a dick. Borderline cheating in this game.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Windmill Hut posted:

Joel Selwood can choke on a dick. Borderline cheating in this game.

Peter Schwab said at the start of the year that they were going to crack down on ducking, shrugging, and knee dropping. Evidently not.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Brb starting a crowdfunding campaign to hire someone to cut Bruce's tongue out. He's almost as bad as BT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

That goal was pretty noice

• Locked thread