Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

DarkRefreshment posted:

Just getting to the part about the concert bombings last night in the thread.

To all the U.K. goons just know that in America we feel the anger and outrage the same as if it had happened here. We share more than just a language but also a deep friendship that goes beyond borders and an ocean. Your pain is our pain and I wish all of you the best in dealing with this.

I hope it's over, especially with the crowds of the FA cup final coming up soon. I hate to think there could be more of this senseless bullshit incoming for any of us. But just know that we have your backs. No ally will rest until we drive these assholes of the face of the planet.

Yes, let's turn this into an excuse for more terrorist atrocities, you loving prick. There's no way that could backfire.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Us northerners are stubborn bastards, if someone tries terrifying us and trying to incite hatred between groups of people we'll just say "gently caress that" and become closer to the groups we're supposed to be scared of.

Well said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

Hahaha

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

WebDO posted:

It always amused me that in the beginning of :pgi: doing their best to make MWO terrible the term minimum viable project was correctly used as a derisive term and :pgi: vehemently denied it, but in Star Citizen it's an aspirational goal.

Anything is better than nothing.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

You have to remember the cheese levels we are dealing with here. Chris likes to call expansions HEART OF THE TIGER and songs FULL BURN - he is trapped in the 80s / 90s and not in a good way

Well Tom Cruise is making Top Gun 2, so maybe CIG can ride that wave for a little bit and then come off looking like a cheap ripoff lol.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

XxXCaptainNoxXxX posted:

Its a technical software dev term that has zero place in anything public facing (or in high end software like a AAA game) but they eat it up because Chris said it and he definitely knows game dev.

Still sounds like Utility Grade is an apt comparison.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

Well Tom Cruise is making Top Gun 2, so maybe CIG can ride that wave for a little bit and then come off looking like a cheap ripoff lol.

Maverick we need you to come out of retirement for one last mission, you are a loose cannon but you get results *FULL BURN PLAYS*

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Maverick we need you to come out of retirement for one last mission, you are a loose cannon but you get results *FULL BURN PLAYS*

drat it, Snakeyes! You hand over that badge and spaceship key right now! You're a hotshot who's too wild on the stick for his own good!

Sorry, Captain, but I can't do it. I've got a score to settle and it's time to kick it into overdrive.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

HycoCam posted:

I'm thinking Sandi has no idea the wine basket even arrived. This is Monaco GP week--I suspect our CEO and Best VP of Marketing ever are enjoying their time in the Mediterranean, knowing that even if the backers know--they won't care.

She's earned it.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

AbstractNapper posted:

These people also think that Star Citizen will be around for decades and it's pretty much going to be their best-game-for-life literally.

Well, at the current speed of development it will definitely reach at least 1 decade before anything remotely playable is released...

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Beet Wagon posted:

Having just seen alien covenant I have high hopes for this upcoming movie.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

drat it, Snakeyes! You hand over that badge and spaceship key right now! You're a hotshot who's too wild on the stick for his own good!

Sorry, Captain, but I can't do it. I've got a score to settle and it's time to kick it into overdrive.

FULL BUUUURN

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Added a graph to the tracker page, it's a little flawed at the moment because there is only data for the original promise date and things get marked on the graph according to that date. Might be adding a new column to specify when a promise became Completed/Broken/inAlpha.
Otherwise that might be too much work and really doesn't accomplish a whole lot; more scalable solution is to add some date logic to mark it on the graph after a couple months of the promise date.

Now that I write it out, perhaps a combination of those two ideas is best because there should be a hard date for all the 3.0 broken promises, etc.

I only got up to April 2014 in 10FTC logs. So theres plenty of data entry left if anyone is interest. Reach out to me on discord if you can't find the google sheet.

for example:

quote:

Question: "Is the "multicrew ship tech" something specific to multicrew ships or will it be generic enough to be used for single seat ships? For instance, will my Aurora be "coded" like the Retaliator allowing me to have one person in the bed while I pilot the ship and a 3rd one just standing behind me even if the ship is tagged "single seat ship"?"

Chris: "So the short answer is yes. So what is going to happen is on all our vehicles is if they have an interior like the aurora, it has a very small interior but it does have it. 300i is an example of this, if they have interiors you can move around in they will have their own local physics grid. Therefor you can someone piloting it and someone back on the bed. We have not implemented sort of life support and oxygen issues yet but the system we have in terms of the pipe system and item system is something we have that is fairly easy for us to do so some time in the future we would probably have some sort of life support system so you would only have so much oxygen or air and the ability to support so many people. possibly there would be a case where you have to many people and it stresses the system I dunno but you in the multi crew release should be able to get into a aurora and someone else get into the aurora and fly and it will have local physics."
Would be at least a promise or two.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I can't imagine anything more dreary and dull as sitting in the back of a loving aurororoa while some twat flies it around

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

I can't imagine anything more dreary and dull as sitting in the back of a loving aurororoa while some twat flies it around

At least the Aurora has windows. The guy riding in the back on a 300i has to squat the whole time and his head still clips through the geometry.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

peter gabriel posted:

Well pick up a mop and keep busy.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Virtual Captain posted:

for example:

Would be at least a promise or two.

What I love about that quote is that it demonstrates how Chris is incapable of saying ”no“ to the point where he answers ”yes“ to something that isn't even a yes/no-question. :D

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9gds5Hcn1Q

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

At least the Aurora has windows. The guy riding in the back on a 300i has to squat the whole time and his head still clips through the geometry.

The wank pod has no windows, and that's where I'd be tbh

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

The wank pod has no windows, and that's where I'd be tbh

I thought the wank pod had a window that looked out at some dumb ship component, but maybe not. Maybe if CIG ever gets around to telling me how to reopen my account to receive the game package my friend just un-gifted I'll log in and check lol

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Faith before reason:

Phraccy
Apr 28, 2017
Topology of failure

I found this gem in another forum and roughly translated it from german, so plese excuse any hickups while reading. I was in tears after this.

Interesting, I find how such a failure (if it comes) is quite characteristic. If one were to put different game developers before a task - let's say simulate a human being (time frame: 1 week) - you could even clearly recognize the nature of their failure.

Peter Molyneux would give interviews about the realistic perfection of his simulation from Monday to Friday. At the end of the week, he does not produce a man, but a life simulation à la "The Sims". This would be quite charming, all people are either good or evil. After three days, there is only evil. Unfortunately, he failed to implement food and sleep; So after a week all are dead. On Sunday, Molyneux announces that
1. in his new project, eating and sleeping will be considered,
2. there also will be plants, animals, tides, plate tectonics and the lunar phases,
3. he never gives an interview again.

Bioware would make a simulation of a human being quite passable at first sight, but it soon becomes clear that this person can only do four different things:
(1) Pull a gun.
(2) Nothing to say.
(3) Start a relationship.
(4) Start a same-sex relationship.

At Telltale you could generate a man within six episodes through a long-term procedure of Quicktime Events and make numerous decisions. The consequences of these decisions are either largely irrelevant or (with a completely illogical context) particularly serious, but always ambiguous and unpredictable; A scheme would be:
(1) Possibility A and B appear to be opposite, but exactly the same
(2) Possibility C sounds like A but causes the opposite, except for the green eye color
(3) Possibility D reduces the shoe size by 1/3 number (hardlinked)
In total,> 3.5 billion combinations are made in the decision tree. The generated people all look the same.

Chris Roberts starts with the conception of the digestive system.
Monday: Implementation in Python.
Tuesday: Kickstarter, you can buy intestinal villi with its initials.
Wednesday: Limited Special Sale of particularly attractive intestinal villi. The project was ported to Fortran.
Thursday: No one knows what Chris Roberts does today, but shortly before midnight he announces a new module "Facial Hair".
Friday: Kickstarter, there are beard hair (without initials, but with an extra color). The project is now running in Java.
Saturday: Chris Robert starts learning Italian and Russian. In the afternoon he lands in Moscow.
Sunday: Chris Roberts presents the perfect simulation of three beard hair (2 upper lip, 1 chin) of a 38.5 year old Italian when entering the Red Square from Basil's Cathedral (cheerful weather, 16 ° C, 2 Bft from northeast) and promises , Until the end of the year the rest of the chin and upper lip beard.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Phraccy posted:

Topology of failure

Interesting, I find how such a failure (if it comes) is quite characteristic. If one were to put different game developers before a task - let's say simulate a human being (time frame: 1 week) - you could even clearly recognize the nature of their failure.

Peter Molyneux would give interviews about the realistic perfection of his simulation from Monday to Friday. At the end of the week, he does not produce a man, but a life simulation à la "The Sims". This would be quite charming, all people are either good or evil. After three days, there is only evil. Unfortunately, he failed to implement food and sleep; So after a week all are dead. On Sunday, Molyneux announces that
1. in his new project, eating and sleeping will be considered,
2. there also will be plants, animals, tides, plate tectonics and the lunar phases,
3. he never gives an interview again.

Chris Roberts starts with the conception of the digestive system.
Monday: Implementation in Python.
Tuesday: Kickstarter, you can buy intestinal villi with its initials.
Wednesday: Limited Special Sale of particularly attractive intestinal villi. The project was ported to Fortran.
Thursday: No one knows what Chris Roberts does today, but shortly before midnight he announces a new module "Facial Hair".
Friday: Kickstarter, there are beard hair (without initials, but with an extra color). The project is now running in Java.
Saturday: Chris Robert starts learning Italian and Russian. In the afternoon he lands in Moscow.
Sunday: Chris Roberts presents the perfect simulation of three beard hair (2 upper lip, 1 chin) of a 38.5 year old Italian when entering the Red Square from Basil's Cathedral (cheerful weather, 16 ° C, 2 Bft from northeast) and promises , Until the end of the year the rest of the chin and upper lip beard.

LIAR
I won't ever leave while you want me to stay
No MoCap could turn me away
Hanging on every word
Believing the things I heard
Being a fool
You've taken my farm, so take my soul
That's what you said and I believed it all
I want to be with you as long
As you want me to
I won't refund today

Ain't that what you said? LIAR

May I see no flags
May I see no game
If I ever leave while you want me to stay
You can believe in me
I won't be leaving
I won't let you go

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

So a lovely implementation that wasn't talked about for months, was nothing remotely close to what was actually marketed, and continues to be a hilarious joke that reveals how lovely CIG is at making anything fun?

Sounds about right.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

Well Tom Cruise is making Top Gun 2

What!? :lol::lol::lol:

Can wait to see him and the other dudes at the nursing home fly some swank F-35s against... er, North Koreans?

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

How is this still going on? And supposedly still making $2,000/hr? Good god.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Can whales fund this garbage fire forever? Will we see Mars become an independent human nation, while SC will still be in pre-alpha phase?

The possibilities are exciting! Maybe SC can be a test bed for future space travel. CIG could make big bucks by licensing their tech demo to NASA or space UN.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So a lovely implementation that wasn't talked about for months, was nothing remotely close to what was actually marketed, and continues to be a hilarious joke that reveals how lovely CIG is at making anything fun?

Sounds about right.

No you see it was a great triumph because goons said Star Marine would never happen

CIG showed us all that with just a tiny number of millions of dollars and five hundred employees, you can poo poo out a bare bones fps in cryengine in just six years :smuggo:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

JugbandDude posted:

Can whales fund this garbage fire forever? Will we see Mars become an independent human nation, while SC will still be in pre-alpha phase?

The possibilities are exciting! Maybe SC can be a test bed for future space travel. CIG could make big bucks by licensing their tech demo to NASA or space UN.

I'm getting pretty certain most of us will live to see CitCon 2017, it will be awesome

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Last night I had a dream that I wrote a huge effort post detailing the exact break down and reasoning for this project's failure, GORF style. I felt very motivated and satisfied with myself. When I woke up I was horrified.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

JugbandDude posted:

You joke but the citizens have suggested this same thing with a completely straight face.

Meridian posted:

Last night I had a dream that I wrote a huge effort post detailing the exact break down and reasoning for this project's failure, GORF style. I felt very motivated and satisfied with myself. When I woke up I was horrified.

Reddit! Archive this. OldSchoolCommander alt detected!

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

It's good blog:

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/867407382988689409

Derek posted:

This is all wishful thinking. If six years into the development of an MMO, you don’t have this stuff already completed or in progress, chances are it’s either never going to get done in the short-term (delays cost money, and when money runs out, the project is dead), or there was never an intention to actually do it. Make no mistake, everything he said there, are things that both Chris and Erin have said in the past.The reality is that it is simply not possible with their current networking framework which was built around CryEngine 3.7. And LumberYard (based on CryEngine 3.8), isn’t going to give them that because it too does not have support for any of that.

Derek posted:

Note the use of the phrases “will allow”, “still need to”, “how to”, “not sure” etc.If you have your pol-loc sorted out, there is no requirement to figure out how to handle “everyone heading to the same place at the same time”. The fact of the matter is that if you allow 64 clients per instance/shard, you should be prepared for the inevitable scenario that all of them are likely to end up in the same place at some point. Elite Dangerous planned for this, right off the bat. Which is why sessions in which over 900 players journeyed to Sagittarius A, was possible.
Saying “I’m not sure there’s an engineering solution” simply means that, as I said, they really have no clue what they’re doing with this game. There is absolutely no way to prevent all server allowed players from being at the same area at the same time. Which is why, even though they claim that Crusader can support 24 players theoretically, all it takes is for more than 8 players to be in the same local area for the server to croak and it all becomes unplayable.
bingo

Derek posted:

1. They have no clue what they’re doing.
2. When they do get a clue, it would be revealed to them that they have to gut their entire networking layer to implement what they are aiming for.
3. They’re hosed. Completely.
:eyepop:

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 24, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

JugbandDude posted:

Can whales fund this garbage fire forever?

It's looking like yes.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
The switch to Lumberyard has nothing to do with an Amazon deal. AWS is not better suited to their MMO ambitions than what they were using previously. And with the amount of hacking done to the original codebase, no significant LY features will ever make it back into StarEngine.

It was a lucky opportunity for CIG to get out paying post-launch royalties to Crytek as part of the original licensing agreement.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
Even if a "deal" between Amazon and CIG did take place, these types of things are rarely "real money" deals (short of the studio being purchased outright). More likely, CIG promotes / advertises Amazon services, valued at X amount of dollars, and commits to using X amount of dollars worth of amazon services. No money actually changes hands.

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

XK posted:

Somebody buy me a new one. Mine's well over a decade old, and based on some stupid FYAD post I made way back in the day.

Because I have more money than creative talent; someone make XK a lovely taco with blue cheese and, for whatever loving reason, yogurt av and I'll get him sorted out

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Let's take a break from whatever the gently caress everyone's talking about because it's boring and take a moment to consider the following question:

Will any of Star Citizen's music be anywhere near as intelligent and well written as 1997's Final Fantasy VII victory fanfare?

My opinion is... Probably not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH3RSAT3Asc

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

DarkRefreshment posted:

Because I have more money than creative talent

poo poo, I think I just doxxed myself as Chris Roberts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

JugbandDude posted:

I think I've said before that I can imagine someone fifty years from now saying "Great Uncle Cymelion! Get packed, I've booked us tickets on the next flight to the lunar colonies!" and getting the reply "I can't, the 61.0 patch is downloading and it's got a new jacket to buy!"