Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

He's going to spend an entire year flying back and forth between China, J-Hole, and Palo Alto. HE HAS TO BE SURE!

With different animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Loved how the only problem with the blood boy's pot habit was the high cholesterol from all the munchies food, not the pot itself. :allears:

I want to believe that Gavin's enthusiasm after the transfusion is due to a sudden spike in blood sugar.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That was one of the most annoying resets this show has ever done, especially because Gavin working with Pied Piper was something that had been hinted at for a long time and the couple of episodes they did it of it were funny.

Pope Guilty posted:

I want to believe that Gavin's enthusiasm after the transfusion is due to a sudden spike in blood sugar.

Or he was getting high.

fortocero
Jul 23, 2007

I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm.

PostNouveau posted:

That was one of the most annoying resets this show has ever done, especially because Gavin working with Pied Piper was something that had been hinted at for a long time and the couple of episodes they did it of it were funny.

Yeah seriously -- Gavin's my favorite character and getting my hopes up for more Gavin+Richard only to basically see him leave the show the very next episode was lovely.

Overall, the show is still very funny but I feel like they've run out of ideas on the overarching plot threads: Dinesh is suddenly CEO, then he's suddenly not, Richard starts his own thing, then all the old gang joins the new company, Gavin joins the team and immediately leaves, the whole thing w/ Monica seems like they have no idea what to do w/ her character...

I feel like they're only doing the major earthshaking event-type plots: new CEO, new startup, different exec takes over, etc. Far less of the day-to-day work of building the actual product (like in S1). Maybe they think it's too boring to show that kind of thing...but the Office was able to make the mundane day-to-day crap of a paper company engaging, so I think it's definitely doable here.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Could be worse - Gavin could've said something to the effect of "You've got a brilliant idea, but it seems like anyone who gets close to you suffers and fails, so I'm ~outta here~" and leave us with at least 2-3 episodes of neurotic ~hemming and hawing~ on his part until Erlich says something while high that snaps him out of it and WACKY HIJINKS ENSUE.

The first two episodes had me hopeful they wouldn't just re-tread old plotlines, but yeah, this is feeling too familiar.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Erlich has so far turned Jian Yang into millionaire, Bighead into some sort of genius professor, and Monica into a managing partner at a new VC firm. I hope this series ends with him making everyone around him super successful while he's still living in mediocrity.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cojawfee posted:

Erlich has so far turned Jian Yang into millionaire, Bighead into some sort of genius professor, and Monica into a managing partner at a new VC firm. I hope this series ends with him making everyone around him super successful while he's still living in mediocrity.

He's the Serendipity of Silicon Valley. Insightful and shrewd to everyone, but nothing he thinks up ever enriches himself.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Cojawfee posted:

Hey, he got a palapa.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
- Gavin turned Bighead into a multi millionaire and front page of Wired famous with his own secret genius laboratory at one of the largest richest companies in the world. Erlich turned Bighead dirt broke.

- Laurie turned Jiang Yang into "a very rich" by setting up the acquisition offer I'm guessing. Erlich gave him poo poo for ages and treated him like a child. Erlich giving up his part of the company was him trying to save himself from future trouble/what he thought wasn't worth the effort.

- Laurie made Monica a partner at her new firm. Laurie says it herself that she already knew what was going on from the get go. Erlich told her to cozy up with Ed which is how Monica got that information that he was trying to replace her but if she didn't have that that presumably Laurie would have been asked to join anyway since she would have just been an innocent bystander who didn't know about the coup.

Erlich is one of the worse characters on the show but he's funny so I guess people give him a pass.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
While bighead is poor now, Erlich did try to trick his class into doing all that image scraping. That caused them to create a competing app using knowledge they got from watching the movies that Bighead played. That made everyone think Bighead was a genius for how he taught his class.

Erlich pushed Jian Yang into doing the shazaam for food thing instead of just eight octopus recipes. Erlich then took a picture of his own dick with Jian Yang's app. When he showed it to Periscope, it outperformed their own dick detection algorithm and ended up making Jian Yang a millionaire.

Erlich told Monica to buddy up with Ed until Monica mentions that if she doesn't tell Laurie, she'll have a seat after the shake up. Erlich tells Monica to instead go tell Laurie. When she tells Laurie, Laurie says she knew all along but Monica's loyalty convinced her to bring her aboard in the new VC firm.

Erlich isn't doing all these things on purpose, but he is doing them. His actions indirectly cause great success for those around him.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I am pretty sure that part of the reason Jared snapped at the Blood Boy was festering jealously over Gavin not having chosen him to be his parabiotic partner in the first place.

Overall I think I'll echo some other people's opinions that the show has lost it's original spirit. It used to be an underdog story about a group of flawed people that you wanted to root for anyway because they were up against indomitable giants of the industry who were drunk on their own self-importance. It was the kind of story that allowed scenes like Erlich taking revenge on the kids who bullied Ritchard to feel funny and heartwarming instead of just absurd.

The last two seasons could have worked just as well if the writers were willing to let the arcs unfold over the course of the season instead of wrapping them up between two episodes.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mike Judge always writes with in a shows status quo. There's not gonna be any big changes to format or characters for probably as long as this show runs. I'm absolutely fine with that because it's funny.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Agreed, I wasn't really bothered with the previous resets to status quo, not everything has to be a massive 7-season arc. But this one felt quite ham-fisted somehow. As somebody mentioned, in a very quick succession we went through Dinesh as CEO, PipeChat, Richard on his own, Richard with Gavin, Monica taking part in a coup, and then everything got rolled back almost in one episode. The sticking changes seem to be Gavin and Jack's story, but they were on the periphery anyway.

Still, as long as it's funny, I wouldn't mind it too much.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Mike Judge always writes with in a shows status quo. There's not gonna be any big changes to format or characters for probably as long as this show runs.

Is that a reply to what I wrote? Because I never said that I wanted lasting changes to the status quo, just that instead of hitting the reset button every two to three episodes, they should do it at the end of each season.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

priznat posted:

I love Erlich's flashes of business acumen.

He's kind of like Sterling Archer. On the rare occasions he can be bothered to do his job, he's good at it. And a giant rear end in a top hat.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
If anyone else was wondering where they've seen Bryce before, he was the brother in the revolution TV show and aka the "can I get a hit tub" Guy from the insurance commercials.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

If anyone else was wondering where they've seen Bryce before, he was the brother in the revolution TV show and aka the "can I get a hit tub" Guy from the insurance commercials.

Also is/was on that FBI tv show on CBS or ABC where they follow FBI agents from training and one of them commits a terrorist act.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Avasculous posted:

"Monica, I am a human being. Like you. Like... this."

"She's scaring me!"

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Kingtheninja posted:

the "can I get a hot tub" Guy from the insurance commercials.

Oh my god

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This is one of the funniest, most consistent shows on TV - I think all you doomsayers are wrong. Things will be fine.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Vintersorg posted:

This is one of the funniest, most consistent shows on TV - I think all you doomsayers are wrong. Things will be fine.

Yeah, this. I did like the pacing and focus of the first season better, but as long as the show continues to be this funny It is the tiniest of complaints.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vintersorg posted:

I think what people are saying is "even though I found this twist/reset a bit abrupt, it was still a fantastic episode".

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
I tend not to give a poo poo about the overarching plot of this show as much as how funny it is, but several times already this season has killed me with laughter

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Vintersorg posted:

It's still very funny; I don't think the problems with the plot are anywhere close to derailing it.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Now for something a little different. Kumail Nanjiani gave a commencement speech at good alma mater.
https://youtu.be/C5Y8prO5bvs

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
King of the Hill and Beavis & Butthead both ran over 200 episodes without ever being "bad" so I'm not convinced that the well is running dry on Silicon Valley at just over 30. Every week has been great so far.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, Gavin yelling profanity when his couch caught on fire was amazingly funny, just because of established characters and good comedic timing. I don't think the show is suffering at all as a comedy. I just think the drama side of things that was really strong in the first season and a half has really faltered. The show can certainly continue just fine as "just" a sitcom, but I will miss the more coherent story aspect that helped hook me initially.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I think first seasons tend to be a little more self contained and have stronger continuity since they are usually well planned out before production starts nobody knows if they will get picked up again.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Kimmy Schmidt's new season had this problem where it looked like they were writing around guest stars jumping in and out abruptly and it's annoying but tolerable imo.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I think if people think that Silicon Valley is becoming formulaic it's because these stories are season long arcs where other shows like King of the Hill (to keep it in the Mike Judge family) were all single stories so they could do whatever they want. Now we'll have 5 hours of a story so it's easy to spot similar themes and/or plot elements. I think the comedy aspect of Silicon Valley is just as strong though and at the end of the day it's just a comedy show.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The problem is that the story seems to be just spinning and nothing [lasting] is ever happening. They're still in startup mode with a million dollar idea struggling to get money to build that million dollar idea. Every win they make ends up being one or two steps back.

At some point it just gets really boring and I wish they'd actually do something lasting. Or hell, I wish they would show us how much of a genius this algorithm/Richard supposedly is instead of constantly telling us over and over "trust me, it's great, it's tremendous, it'll make technology great again."

Don't get me wrong the show is hilarious cause the actors kill it but at this point I can't really say that the story is actually good because it's in the same exact state as it was in in season one.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I know I'm way behind on this but

quote:

Now, who else thinks switching to a Hoolichat login is "hella lame"?

Madison, Allison, Jennifer, Stephanie, Quinn, Ingrid, Kaley, Ava, Sarah, Janelle... CARL.

...just about loving SLEW me.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Rexides posted:

Overall I think I'll echo some other people's opinions that the show has lost it's original spirit. It used to be an underdog story about a group of flawed people that you wanted to root for anyway because they were up against indomitable giants of the industry who were drunk on their own self-importance. It was the kind of story that allowed scenes like Erlich taking revenge on the kids who bullied Ritchard to feel funny and heartwarming instead of just absurd.

I think the problem is that you think this is a different industry. Over the years I worked for basically nothing chasing one "great idea" after another and never got anywhere. One company I worked for was acquired twice while I worked there, so over 6 or 7 months I had 3 totally new sets of business cards, email addresses and managers. I was kinda forced to quit because everyone that was working with me on the project I was hired for cashed out.

Boris Galerkin posted:

The problem is that the story seems to be just spinning and nothing [lasting] is ever happening. They're still in startup mode with a million dollar idea struggling to get money to build that million dollar idea. Every win they make ends up being one or two steps back.

The last company I worked for just went through their like 4th or 5th round of funding and it's been around since at least the 90s boom...

Boris Galerkin posted:

Don't get me wrong the show is hilarious cause the actors kill it but at this point I can't really say that the story is actually good because it's in the same exact state as it was in in season one.

Now you get the tech industry!

Personally I just laugh and laugh, for the same reason it was funny at the beginning, they think they just need to do this one thing and it'll all work out. I know some people that hit it big, but I know a lot more who keep chasing the dream and probably suffer because of it. Nowadays I just make sure to get as much money as possible in base pay and say gently caress you to anyone that tries to sell me on potential.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

ElCondemn posted:

I think the problem is that you think this is a different industry.

Well both things can be true. I agree I work in tech and the constant upwards / downwards trajectory is very realistic, that doesn't mean people enjoy watching it.

Personally I haven't felt like it's lost and steam and how successful they are doesn't impact what I find funny on the show.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

ElCondemn posted:

I think the problem is that you think this is a different industry. Over the years I worked for basically nothing chasing one "great idea" after another and never got anywhere. One company I worked for was acquired twice while I worked there, so over 6 or 7 months I had 3 totally new sets of business cards, email addresses and managers. I was kinda forced to quit because everyone that was working with me on the project I was hired for cashed out.

The last company I worked for just went through their like 4th or 5th round of funding and it's been around since at least the 90s boom...

Now you get the tech industry!

Personally I just laugh and laugh, for the same reason it was funny at the beginning, they think they just need to do this one thing and it'll all work out. I know some people that hit it big, but I know a lot more who keep chasing the dream and probably suffer because of it. Nowadays I just make sure to get as much money as possible in base pay and say gently caress you to anyone that tries to sell me on potential.

After four seasons, even if there's a good chance a real life startup would still be treading water, I would still like my TV show plot to have moved forward a bit. Maybe it's accurate, but it's not nearly as compelling to watch as it would be if they'd just stop hitting the reset button every few episodes.

I'm reminded of this article I read a while ago where the producers talked about how sometimes the weird reality of Silicon Valley just couldn't make it onscreen because it was too out-there for a TV show. Something about a CTO coming into a board meeting on rollerblades. Does anyone have the link?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

The Dave posted:

Well both things can be true. I agree I work in tech and the constant upwards / downwards trajectory is very realistic, that doesn't mean people enjoy watching it.

I just think it's pretty funny that people are complaining about how unrealistic the storyline is. There are plenty of reasons not to like it, it being unrealistic is probably the lowest on that list. It's also really funny to me that people are frustrated that they keep starting at 0, since that's the most realistic part of this show to me.

The Dave posted:

Personally I haven't felt like it's lost and steam and how successful they are doesn't impact what I find funny on the show.

I agree, I just like watching these guys jump through all the hoops, make all the mistakes and keep doing it obliviously like their real life counterparts do. Especially when they're doing it so sincerely, like Gavin chastising Richard for doing what Gavin does every moment of his life.

Phenotype posted:

After four seasons, even if there's a good chance a real life startup would still be treading water, I would still like my TV show plot to have moved forward a bit. Maybe it's accurate, but it's not nearly as compelling to watch as it would be if they'd just stop hitting the reset button every few episodes.

I just think people get different things out of this show, I think the setting is just a great place for comedy, it doesn't really matter to me if they "win" or "lose" because nobody wins these things... well I guess the bigheads of the world do. You can't really hate them for just happening to win. It's almost zen-like, stop trying to succeed and you will succeed. (not that everyone that succeeds didn't do anything to deserve it, it's just that you could do everything to deserve it and still end up at 0)

Phenotype posted:

I'm reminded of this article I read a while ago where the producers talked about how sometimes the weird reality of Silicon Valley just couldn't make it onscreen because it was too out-there for a TV show. Something about a CTO coming into a board meeting on rollerblades. Does anyone have the link?

https://gizmodo.com/real-life-silicon-valley-is-too-weird-for-the-show-1781742634

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

That was a joke. Please don't ever post that link again.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

I agree. This show's had me since the first few minutes of the first episode when Erlich says "Kid Rock is the poorest person here- apart from you guys."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's hard to pick a favorite character on this show when they're all so loving funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

Yeah, it's hard to pick a favorite character on this show when they're all so loving funny.

Really? I don't have any hesitation.

• Locked thread