Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

theflyingorc posted:

Because they're very, very convicted that they're in the right, and everyone else is just denying reality when they act like people who aren't just like them are worthy of respect.

"I'm just saying what everyone else is thinking."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
When does the CBO score come out? I'm concerned that the top line numbers are going to look "better" than the last one for reasons that will be difficult to explain concisely - for example, there will probably be fewer uninsured than the last bill, because people will have lovely cheap plans that don't cover anything. And for the same reason they'll probably predict that premiums will be lower.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Maybe?

In any case, Trump probably didn't know what he was talking about. Nuclear powered subs? Well yeah, there's two for every carrier group, but they don't carry SLBMs. The guided missile subs visiting South Korea that have already been written about? No big deal.

It's pretty unlikely he would even know where the US's boomers are. I guess he could ask?

It's hard to say, primarily because he's so loving stupid.

I mean, aren't -all- of our submarines nuclear-powered?

I'm aware that this doesn't mean they carry nuclear tridents missiles, but does Trump know that? Even if he was told the difference in a briefing, would he know?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

HappyHippo posted:

When does the CBO score come out? I'm concerned that the top line numbers are going to look "better" than the last one for reasons that will be difficult to explain concisely - for example, there will probably be fewer uninsured than the last bill, because people will have lovely cheap plans that don't cover anything. And for the same reason they'll probably predict that premiums will be lower.

the macarthur amendment is new and apparantly will basically wipe out whatever savings they get from the AHCA, so this will be worse

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Minor note: the longest-serving governor of any state in the history of the country (Terry Branstad, Iowa, about 22.5 years) just resigned to become ambassador to China.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Solemn Sloth posted:

So the whitehouse leaked the name of the manchester bombing suspect to the press, and the UK are really pissed because it may have compromised their hunt for any accomplices.

Never Trust Donnie the Leaker. He's probably the biggest pisser of information of all with his unstable brain and bladder, doesn't remember doing it and IT ISN'T BAD WHEN A PRESIDENT DECLASSIFIES THINGS.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

HappyHippo posted:

I think the CBO said it's not going to consider scam plans to be real insurance coverage already.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

evilweasel posted:

I think the CBO said it's not going to consider scam plans to be real insurance coverage already.

But with little regulation people who jump on scam plans will still get subsidies won't they?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Mulvaney and Devos are attempting to defend the budget in comitee

https://youtu.be/TzFk7mb64Uo

This is theatre right? Trump's education budget isn't going to pass, is it?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Al Borland Corp. posted:

But with little regulation people who jump on scam plans will still get subsidies won't they?

and this is why a lot of people are speculating that the house will be forced to vote for it again. The feds might spend so much money helping people buy poo poo insurance that it may violate reconciliation rules.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Was this confidential info or is it known we have subs there?

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/867335646423265280

I'm guessing its one of those things that are widely speculated and "known" but not technically out in the open, kind of like Israel having nukes.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Chilichimp posted:

I mean, aren't -all- of our submarines nuclear-powered?

I'm aware that this doesn't mean they carry nuclear tridents missiles, but does Trump know that? Even if he was told the difference in a briefing, would he know?

I think we still have a handful of diesel attack subs but I'd have to double check. Not like we're getting into conflicts where attack subs are of much use but still.
e: nope, wikipedia says they're all nuke powered

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rigel posted:

and this is why a lot of people are speculating that the house will be forced to vote for it again. The feds might spend so much money helping people buy poo poo insurance that it may violate reconciliation rules.

It's basically like those scam online colleges that exist only to get government vet education money.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Moatman posted:

I think we still have a handful of diesel attack subs but I'd have to double check. Not like we're getting into conflicts where attack subs are of much use but still.
e: nope, wikipedia says they're all nuke powered

The Down Periscope Navy

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

As much as we complain about echo chambers and the increasing partisan divide in the country, what the gently caress are we supposed to do about it? That woman in Walmart is the norm. Every time I make the mistake of glancing at the comment section of a news article that involves race, I see a bunch of people like her. These people are loving gross, and it's seriously depressing to interact with them.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Fitzy Fitz posted:

As much as we complain about echo chambers and the increasing partisan divide in the country, what the gently caress are we supposed to do about it? That woman in Walmart is the norm. Every time I make the mistake of glancing at the comment section of a news article that involves race, I see a bunch of people like her. These people are loving gross, and it's seriously depressing to interact with them.

They're not the norm. They're a self-selecting group of people with nothing better to do than comment on random internet articles and YouTube videos. They have less to do than even the saddest, most pathetic goon.

Also they USED TO BE the norm. Slavery used to be the norm, segregation used to be the norm, etc.

Trump voters are only ~30% of the US population.

We are, over time, making them not the norm - the abnorm?

Thanks to EVIL BLACK MUSLIM PRESIDENT and GOP gerrymandering after 2010, they appear to have more power than they do. This is the last gasp of an old obsolete generation and their malformed idiot children. This is them launching their heart at us.

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 24, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yup. I made this point the other day re: right-winger dipshits and transgender people.

How the gently caress are we supposed to co-exist? How is it possible for us to get our news from the same outlets?

The answer: we aren't, and we don't.

We will drift apart from one another forever until something happens that forces the fringes to the center, or we break apart like a dividing cell.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Regarding Trump not liking the 4 candidates and starting over on his FBI director search, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Trump asked each of them to swear an oath of loyalty and start yelling that the Russia probe is fake news, and all 4 of them went "uhhh..... no, this job was supposed to be politically independent so I won't do that."

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Huzanko posted:

They're not the norm. They're a self-selecting group of people with nothing better to do than comment on random internet articles and YouTube videos. They have less to do than even the saddest, most pathetic goon.

OK, I could have been clearer. I'm not saying they're the majority of the country. What I mean is that that's the face of modern conservatism. They aren't the shrieking fringe of their party.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Huzanko posted:

present me: like 40% of French people are Nazi's.
past me: holy poo poo!
present me: No, that's the good news.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Shame the hell out of them. Doesn't always work but it's a start when it does.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Chilichimp posted:

Yup. I made this point the other day re: right-winger dipshits and transgender people.

How the gently caress are we supposed to co-exist? How is it possible for us to get our news from the same outlets?

The answer: we aren't, and we don't.

We will drift apart from one another forever until something happens that forces the fringes to the center, or we break apart like a dividing cell.

The morons tend to be old, and a lot of millennials who were raised to be Republican are defecting to the left as they realize that their parents don't have their poo poo together.

The problem will literally die.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Rigel posted:

Regarding Trump not liking the 4 candidates and starting over on his FBI director search, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Trump asked each of them to swear an oath of loyalty and start yelling that the Russia probe is fake news, and all 4 of them went "uhhh..... no, this job was supposed to be politically independent so I won't do that."

McCabe will be nominated for the permanent post before the end of summer.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

There's nothing we can do about it outside of winning elections. US politics need to shift far enough back to the left to allow for something approaching a reasonable center, and that's only going to happen once Republicans lose hard and often enough that they start ignoring their far right wing. poo poo sucks because someone like the woman in that video is only barely off the edge of what's considered acceptable to the mainstream, and even then it's only because she isn't couching it in dog whistles.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

cochise posted:

Shame the hell out of them. Doesn't always work but it's a start when it does.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Fitzy Fitz posted:

OK, I could have been clearer. I'm not saying they're the majority of the country. What I mean is that that's the face of modern conservatism. They aren't the shrieking fringe of their party.

Everyone with any decency already left the GOP. As has been said many times here before: Why would you be a Republican unless you're interested in tax cuts, punishing the poor, or hating and restricting the rights of minorities of women, or care more about dead babies than living ones?

They're not a party with a vision for the future. They're just a party that wants to fellate the rich while selling an imagined fantasy of the past.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Rigel posted:

The morons tend to be old, and a lot of millennials who were raised to be Republican are defecting to the left as they realize that their parents don't have their poo poo together.

The problem will literally die.

I think that will help but then again this poo poo will always be with us in some way. Not to mention that not all millennials are defecting to the left, and the ones that don't are twice as energized and twice as extreme as that old lady.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

... what a loving pussy!

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Huzanko posted:

Everyone with any decency already left the GOP. As has been said many times here before: Why would you be a Republican unless you're interested in tax cuts, punishing the poor, or hating and restricting the rights of minorities of women, or care more about dead babies than living ones?

They're not a party with a vision for the future. They're just a party that wants to fellate the rich while selling an imagined fantasy of the past.

The only future they think to is their tax returns so, checks out

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Rigel posted:

I was thinking along the same lines and I think what scares me is that the Republican rank and file is so willing to go along with anything Trump does that all he needs to do is find one shill willing to pledge his loyalty and that's it. And how hard can it be to find that one guy when you're completely uninterested in finding someone who is actually experienced and competent enough for that position?

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

I've seen this going around a lot lately without any mention that this happened in 2013

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Huzanko posted:

A lot of right-wing people still genuinely believe in the rising tides bullshit propaganda. These people are decent, just not particularly discerning or skeptical.

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

Feldegast42 posted:

I'm guessing its one of those things that are widely speculated and "known" but not technically out in the open, kind of like Israel having nukes.

Also, keep in mind the geography of that area. Pyongyang is only 400 - 500 miles from both Beijing and Vladivostok (almost right in between them). So saying we have subs sitting off the coast ready to hit Pyongyang is also saying we have subs likely within striking range of China's capital and Russia's main Pacific port. Sure, we probably always do. But its pretty drat gauche to go bragging about it.

Imagine if Putin started casually bragging about having Russian subs off the Atlantic coast of the US...

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Unfortunately this happened in 2013 in a pre-Trump world.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

this sustains me.

e:

RiggenBlaque posted:

I've seen this going around a lot lately without any mention that this happened in 2013

I even looked at the date this time! :negative:

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

For the current administration the lack of a FBI head for a while is considered a feature, not a bug.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

RiggenBlaque posted:

I was thinking along the same lines and I think what scares me is that the Republican rank and file is so willing to go along with anything Trump does that all he needs to do is find one shill willing to pledge his loyalty and that's it. And how hard can it be to find that one guy when you're completely uninterested in finding someone who is actually experienced and competent enough for that position?

If Trump is doing this, then he'll eventually find a stooge, but its difficult because you either need to be old and not give a gently caress about your legacy, or you need to be monumentally stupid.

Anyone with half a brain knows Trump is going down in flames (it takes a while because federal investigations always take years and this started last July), and your career will be shot to pieces after Trump's downfall if you acted like his loyal subject as FBI director.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It shouldn't be. The deputy director is a non political and I don't think Trump can fire him.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

mkultra419 posted:

Imagine if Putin started casually bragging about having Russian subs off the Atlantic coast of the US...

The funny thing about this is that they don't, because they literally can't afford to project power like that anymore. If Putin himself said they did, I still wouldn't believe it. I'm betting there hasn't bee a Russian submarine within striking distance of the US mainland since the 80's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

I have a suspicion that the Senate GOP is quietly making clear they're not going to confirm someone who isn't independent enough, probably so that a Democratic president couldn't immediately fire them. Senate Republicans have a lot more to lose from politicizing the FBI than they have to gain.

• Locked thread