Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Even the good aedra are largely good by dint of, their agendas and unknowable plans just don't happen to involve ruining mortals' days too much. Azura especially is a huge narcissist and rides a pretty fine line between benevolent and completely uncaring depending on how useful you are to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i think genocide is Not Good. to work with your analogy, this has less to do with fighting individual trolls, and more to do with calling for the elimination of all trolls, everywhere, for being antithetical.

stendarr isn't like 'hey! one vampire! give him a tussle!' and more like 'eliminate all the vampires'

most of the aedra are by and large 'better' than the daedra but they're still not very good.

Ok

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The Elder Scrolls isn't real

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

This is the simple most rear end in a top hat move in the ESO universe, other than the whole white elves thing

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Levitation_Act

gently caress the levitation ban.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Tei posted:

This is the simple most rear end in a top hat move in the ESO universe, other than the whole white elves thing

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Levitation_Act

gently caress the levitation ban.

They really don't have to have an in universe explanation for everything. That's how you get Star wars lore and no one wants that.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
So, returning player here and I'm not sure why but I have like 33,000 crowns. What's the general consensus on what is worth spending them on? Also, how is the Warden class? seems cool at least.

On another confusing note - seems like the expansion came out today but it still is listed as pre-order?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

SoggyGravy posted:

So, returning player here and I'm not sure why but I have like 33,000 crowns. What's the general consensus on what is worth spending them on? Also, how is the Warden class? seems cool at least.

On another confusing note - seems like the expansion came out today but it still is listed as pre-order?

Buy a merchant assistant and the pack that lets you use any race in any alliance (if you want to pvp)

I think this is technically an early access period it "actually" goes live on June 5th

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Here is a link to an edited LUA file for the No, Thank You! addon:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=31901722854389847968

I just incorporated the edits mentioned in the discussion section for the addon and it seems to be working for me, ymmv.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

azura is pretty awful. i can't think of a single divinity in the series that is unanimously good.

She's petty and egotistical but she seems to care about her followers.

Barbas is a good Daedra. Only murdered that one Orc who summoned him as a scamp, but that was ESO so it doesn't count.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

madcow posted:

Here is a link to an edited LUA file for the No, Thank You! addon:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=31901722854389847968

I just incorporated the edits mentioned in the discussion section for the addon and it seems to be working for me, ymmv.
On a similar note someone has patched Fyrakin's MiniMap to work as well and put the files up on ESOUI: http://www.esoui.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?s=189384050b69891567287f98557f029b&id=1692.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Hey, turns out this game is pretty good. Got the any race/any alliance upgrade and am currently running a Redguard nightblade with the EP faction. Anygoon care to throw an invite to @uvb76?

Also, is there any area that's especially good/interesting for early-game leveling? I'm at level 10 currently and just finished with Bal Foyen and done a couple quests in Stonefall. I've also done the first part of the DB questline so I can murder random citizens like a proper Elder Scrolls protagonist. :v:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Comrade Koba posted:

Hey, turns out this game is pretty good. Got the any race/any alliance upgrade and am currently running a Redguard nightblade with the EP faction. Anygoon care to throw an invite to @uvb76?

Also, is there any area that's especially good/interesting for early-game leveling? I'm at level 10 currently and just finished with Bal Foyen and done a couple quests in Stonefall. I've also done the first part of the DB questline so I can murder random citizens like a proper Elder Scrolls protagonist. :v:

I would recommend starting the thieves guild quests as well.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

azura is pretty awful. i can't think of a single divinity in the series that is unanimously good.

There's a daedric prince of partying.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

SoggyGravy posted:

If you're a subscriber, you get 1500 crowns per month. Sounds like you've been a subscriber for 22 months. Check your account.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Alexander DeLarge posted:

If you're a subscriber, you get 1500 crowns per month. Sounds like you've been a subscriber for 22 months. Check your account.

lol

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I mentioned before my group of Co-op playing friends tried out ESO, and while I'm not at all trying to come into a thread of people who obviously like the game, I do want to try to politely ask a question about a game that may not be for me.

Basically, does the PVE get harder or more engaging, and if so when? I've done newbie island (for nords) and now i'm level ~8 or so, running around a zone, and basically it's just say too easy. Like, mind numbingly easy - I've literally had to think about my health in one fight the entire time I've played, and that only amounted to pressing the rushed ceremony button on or two times.

Look, I get it, it's an MMO and I'm low level. But even for an MMO this seems a bit much - there is almost literally no chance of me dieing in combat or failing a quest, the only bar to completion is the act of walking across the map to the next event. When does this change? When I get into instanced dungeons? When will that be level wise? Or is level not the right requirement to think about? I feel like I've put ~10 hours into the game and I'm still in a tutorial.

I didn't feel like the game used to be like this when I last played it, I think this is because of the One Tamerial expansion?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Expect to die a lot in the harder dungeons.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

With the changes to everyone running around at CP160 the game is pretty easy as you run around leveling. As you get closer to level 50 the free stats you get don't quite compare with when you are like level 4 and content may become harder by then. Challenege I guess comes in the form of PVP, Trials, Veteran dungeons if everyone is undergeared. The DLC dungeons are actually fairly hard even on normal. If you are looking for a Dark Souls challenge, that is not to be found here.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Yes everything scales now if you want a challenge you can solo group content. For some classes that's easier than others. As for dungeons you can do them at any time but if you do them before you have weapon swap, an ultimate for both and vaguely know how to move and what skills to use when. Seriously I hate it when I get put in a group with level ten or so people, especially when it's the healer. I know I can solo it at this point but if I wanted to I wouldn't look for a group and carry your dumb asses and at level ten you're not doing much of anything, be it healing or damage. I would recommend you don't pug at all since there's a good chance it'll be miserable either way but it's very possible to pull your weight at around level 30 or so. Unless you're going with goons, most of us can solo most normals and possibly even some vets and don't mind bringing new people along for loot xp and neat heads you can hang in your house.

Yes I know I'm rambling check out my trophy area instead

Morglon fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 24, 2017

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Jack B Nimble posted:

I mentioned before my group of Co-op playing friends tried out ESO, and while I'm not at all trying to come into a thread of people who obviously like the game, I do want to try to politely ask a question about a game that may not be for me.

Basically, does the PVE get harder or more engaging, and if so when? I've done newbie island (for nords) and now i'm level ~8 or so, running around a zone, and basically it's just say too easy. Like, mind numbingly easy - I've literally had to think about my health in one fight the entire time I've played, and that only amounted to pressing the rushed ceremony button on or two times.

Look, I get it, it's an MMO and I'm low level. But even for an MMO this seems a bit much - there is almost literally no chance of me dieing in combat or failing a quest, the only bar to completion is the act of walking across the map to the next event. When does this change? When I get into instanced dungeons? When will that be level wise? Or is level not the right requirement to think about? I feel like I've put ~10 hours into the game and I'm still in a tutorial.

I didn't feel like the game used to be like this when I last played it, I think this is because of the One Tamerial expansion?

The game should get somewhat harder when you're higher level, especially once you hit CP160 you will notice a drastic decrease in your power because you aren't boosted anymore.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So my magblade DPS went to dogshit after the massive sustain nerf and I finally figured out how to make it not suck. I'm doing almost the same DPS as I did pre-patch (20k+ on a target skeleton) but it took a lot of loving experimenting to fix it. My findings:

Sustain:

-Siphoning Attacks is utter dogshit now. I swapped it for elemental drain and my sustain was much, much better.
-Bifood blows, witchmother's potent brew (Health + Magicka + Magicka Regen) is the new hotness.
-I use one magicka regen enchant on jewelry.

I also run vamp, which combined gives me enough sustain with the following rotation:

1. Merciless>LA>Blockade>LA>Elemental Drain>LA>Sap Essence>LA>Refreshing>LA>Crippling>LA>Swallow Soul>LA>Fire Merciless

2. LA>Blockade>HA>Refreshing>LA>Crippling>LA>Swallow>LA>Fire Merciless> Restart at 1

I'm open to suggestions for improvement, but that at least gets me back to where I was prepatch. I actually like the rotation slightly better, although the HA still feels clunky as poo poo

Edit: Fixed based on Scy's input. Not having to recast Merciless every single time bumped my DPS by another 1k or so, I'm actually higher now than before patch. :toot: Also I should clarify this is mostly targeted for solo/pugging - I'm assuming organized (goon) groups will have someone casting elemental drain in which case I'd just swap siphon back in because why not. However, elemental drain appears to be flat-out superior to siphon for solo sustain, and also gives a nice debuff to boot.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 24, 2017

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok, that's exactly the kind of answers I need, sounds like I'll need to look elsewhere.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Hakarne posted:

So my magblade DPS went to dogshit after the massive sustain nerf and I finally figured out how to make it not suck. I'm doing almost the same DPS as I did pre-patch (20k+ on a target skeleton) but it took a lot of loving experimenting to fix it. My findings:

Sustain:

-Siphoning Attacks is utter dogshit now. I swapped it for elemental drain and my sustain was much, much better.
-Bifood blows, witchmother's potent brew (Health + Magicka + Magicka Regen) is the new hotness.
-I use one magicka regen enchant on jewelry.

I also run vamp, which combined gives me enough sustain with the following rotation:

1. Merciless>LA>Blockade>LA>Elemental Drain>LA>Sap Essence>LA>Refreshing>LA>Crippling>LA>Swallow Soul>LA>Fire Merciless>LA

2. Merciless>HA>Blockade (Barswap cancel)>LA>Refreshing>LA>Crippling>LA>Swallow>LA>Fire Merciless> Restart at 1

I'm open to suggestions for improvement, but that at least gets me back to where I was prepatch. I actually like the rotation slightly better, although the HA still feels clunky as poo poo

1. Siphoning Attacks works like Rally (from the Two-Handed skill line) now. You can either let it run out and get a set amount of magicka back, or you can re-activate it anytime before it runs out to get a portion of that set amount back.
2. You no longer have to refresh Merciless Resolve any time you fire the bow. The skill procs after 5 light attacks now, and can proc as many times as you can do it in 20 seconds. A true "perfect" rotation can achieve up to 4 Spectral Bows per 20 seconds. With the increased damage to light attacks, this comes out as a net DPS gain.
3. Re-work your CP. Gone are the days of just throwing everything into Elemental Expert and having at it. You'll want to put points into Elemental Expert to boost overall magic damage, Master-At-Arms to boost the damage of DIRECT DAMAGE attacks (i.e. Swallow/Assassin's Will/Impale), Thaumaturge to boost Damage Over Time Skills (Blockade/Crippling/Elemental Rage/Refreshing Path).

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Scyantific posted:

1. Siphoning Attacks works like Rally (from the Two-Handed skill line) now. You can either let it run out and get a set amount of magicka back, or you can re-activate it anytime before it runs out to get a portion of that set amount back.
2. You no longer have to refresh Merciless Resolve any time you fire the bow. The skill procs after 5 light attacks now, and can proc as many times as you can do it in 20 seconds. A true "perfect" rotation can achieve up to 4 Spectral Bows per 20 seconds. With the increased damage to light attacks, this comes out as a net DPS gain.
3. Re-work your CP. Gone are the days of just throwing everything into Elemental Expert and having at it. You'll want to put points into Elemental Expert to boost overall magic damage, Master-At-Arms to boost the damage of DIRECT DAMAGE attacks (i.e. Swallow/Assassin's Will/Impale), Thaumaturge to boost Damage Over Time Skills (Blockade/Crippling/Elemental Rage/Refreshing Path).

:monocle:

Wow, thanks for the info, especially number two. That should help quite a bit.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

It's me, I'm the guy making joke names for the mandatory Argonian Warden

Fake Edit: Give me about a month and I'll have those Wardens at 50.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Rough Lobster posted:

There's a daedric prince of partying.
Thing is about those parties is that if you are unlucky, it will be the daedra that will do the partying with you. :v:
While Sanguine is no 40K Slaanesh, it can have its dark moments.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So prior to release they mentioned you could now start a new character that starts in Vivec City rather then the Vestige. Is that still the case, or?

If it is, did they ever mention how that character moves on to becoming the Vestige and playing through the actual main plot?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Rookersh posted:

So prior to release they mentioned you could now start a new character that starts in Vivec City rather then the Vestige. Is that still the case, or?

If it is, did they ever mention how that character moves on to becoming the Vestige and playing through the actual main plot?

You do the Morrowind tutorial, end up outside of Vivec City, then you port over to the mainland and you get the prompt to start the new quest.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Rookersh posted:

I started a redguard warden, skipped the tutorial, and started on a ship right outside seyda neen just like TES3

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Scyantific posted:

You do the Morrowind tutorial, end up outside of Vivec City, then you port over to the mainland and you get the prompt to start the new quest.

New Quest being the old content? Does it just plop you at the Escape from Coldharbor exit where the Prophet tells you to find him?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
They recycled a cinematic to explain how you get to Coldharbour
https://youtu.be/cv1oqeMVg1g

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Berke Negri posted:

This is why the ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Ported into Vvardenfell, and this is literally the first thing that pops up into zone chat:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Looks like low effort trolling. People known morrowind fans are very serious in their love and the troll is fishing for a reaction.

No doubt some people that started Elders Scroll with Oblivion could think Oblivion is better than Morrowind, but I doubt they will describe it this way.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I remember Oblivion's level scaling was so broken it was better to tag weapons you'd never use for your main skills and never gain levels.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I just used the console to cheat so I could jump halfway to the loving moon anyway and poo poo like that. How people can stand Bethesda games without modding the poo poo out of them is beyond me.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Buy a merchant assistant and the pack that lets you use any race in any alliance (if you want to pvp)

I think this is technically an early access period it "actually" goes live on June 5th

Thanks! I'll probably pick up the DLC as well which leaves me with a lot for I guess, cosmetics of my choosing? Nothing else seemed to be of any value but I haven't played in ages and don't know anymore. Any other recommendations beyond Shalebridge's?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Just wanted to thank the three goons who took my Sorcerer through a Fungal Grotto I (Normal) run last night! Had a lot of fun even without a proper tank.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

I remember Oblivion's level scaling was so broken it was better to tag weapons you'd never use for your main skills and never gain levels.

This brings back fond memories of encountering random bandit gangs all wearing full Daedric armor and matching weapons. Fun times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hey buds! I got really sidetracked with the Nintendo Switch but now im gonna play ESO again