Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Harrow posted:

I guess I'm just not understanding why. Just because a character like Ashe or Penelo can also eventually hit the Strength cap but also have higher Magick and get more out of the Knight's healing spells, or what?

it's not my kind of territory but my guess is that he has more strength nodes than the cap allows, which means a lot of his go to waste on the Knight board instead of another job where he might be more optimised and someone else can take Knight duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

morallyobjected posted:

it's not my kind of territory but my guess is that he has more strength nodes than the cap allows, which means a lot of his go to waste on the Knight board instead of another job where he might be more optimised and someone else can take Knight duty.
The stats just go up by character and job, no nodes about it... but basically yes, they've all got relatively similar cap totals, so it was going to waste on Strength rather than any other stat.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The stats just go up by character and job, no nodes about it... but basically yes, they've all got relatively similar cap totals, so it was going to waste on Strength rather than any other stat.

thanks, I haven't played FFXII since it came out and have no experience with IZJS beyond BrainWeasel's LP of it, so I couldn't remember how the licence board worked

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Yeah, there's +HP but everything else is "+10% attack damage" or whatever rather than modifying base stats. Which is better for IZJS when there's no 9999 cap :black101:

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I'm going to play the FF12 remaster and just pick whatever seems cool, beat up tomatoes, listen to the music and hopefully enjoy it. Except for balthier; he's going to shoot the guns.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Attitude Indicator posted:

Except for balthier; he's going to shoot the guns.

loving disgusted at all that drat deeps you're throwing away.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Mega64 posted:

loving disgusted at all that drat deeps you're throwing away.

But it just feels right

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Maybe they'll speed up his animation so he can both look cool and not be suboptimal

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Maybe they'll speed up his animation so he can both look cool and not be suboptimal

Believe it or not, they said they weren't going to do that like last year. Someone asked in an interview, and apparently his slow gun animation is completely intentional. :v:

So he's gonna knife people in my game. If you shoot guns that slowly, you deserve to soil your cuffs.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Thankfully FF12 is about as fast as molasses so it never matters.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I dunno, the general slowness of guns mattered the last time I used a Machinist, in that he sometimes didn't even get off a shot before the enemy he targeted was dead. This has nothing to do with Balthier specifically, just how slow the charge times are on guns. It's what convinced me I probably didn't want to use a Machinist at all except on Weak Mode, really.

On boss fights, Balthier does lose DPS compared to everyone else when they're using guns. It's minor enough that it probably doesn't matter, but it's a measurable effect.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The GIG posted:

Thankfully FF12 is about as fast as molasses so it never matters.

IZJS added a speed up button and HD is adding a speed up button for the speed up button.

That will never not be hilarious to me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

All JRPGs should have a speed up button (unless the combat animations are already really fast, like in FFX or Persona 5). I'm pretty sure I played all of Bravely Default's battles at double speed

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Palings are such a loving terrible awful game design error in every single way it retroactively makes me hate every game in the Ivalice series.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Harrow posted:

unless the combat animations are already really fast, like in FFX

quick hit is the ultimate attack because it makes you animate your normal attack at 4x speed if you have haste on

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

By the by, Brave New World 1.8.5 is shaping up to be the best FF6 romhack I've ever played. You got great rebalances and equipment changes that make even choosing a headband over a tiara an interesting decision. You got an innate speed boost for fast running for the start. You got a revamped Esper system where you "buy" spells from Espers and "buy" stat bonuses from Espers instead of keeping your level low until you get Espers so you can level up with their bonuses.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gologle posted:

Palings are such a loving terrible awful game design error in every single way it retroactively makes me hate every game in the Ivalice series.

Theyre a godawful decision, so IZJS making it so you can just murder bosses before they finish casting their paling is hilarious because its two bad decisions making an ok one

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

DoubleCakes posted:

By the by, Brave New World 1.8.5 is shaping up to be the best FF6 romhack I've ever played. You got great rebalances and equipment changes that make even choosing a headband over a tiara an interesting decision. You got an innate speed boost for fast running for the start. You got a revamped Esper system where you "buy" spells from Espers and "buy" stat bonuses from Espers instead of keeping your level low until you get Espers so you can level up with their bonuses.
Is it still so difficult that Dadaluma is a horrible battle of attrition that can take multiple wipes? I liked the idea of that hack but last time I played it (shortly after the addition of the esper level system) it was way too difficult for me to have much fun with; it seemed to demand optimization.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Is it still so difficult that Dadaluma is a horrible battle of attrition that can take multiple wipes? I liked the idea of that hack but last time I played it (shortly after the addition of the esper level system) it was way too difficult for me to have much fun with; it seemed to demand optimization.

Not so much; the author walked back on a bunch of difficulty spikes when people called him out on straying from the idea that it's first playthrough-friendly.

World of Ruin still needs work, though; it's not very easy to catch up any teammates you may have neglected in the World of Balance.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Dadaluma is a bit of a dickslap cause he's the first potentially difficult boss with a relatively sophisticated counterattack script that leads to a fight that can vary quite a lot in difficulty. If you know how to avoid the regen+jump combo he's not very hard but it's not obvious at first that it's possible to control Dadaluma's actions.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Unless it's changed since the last time I played it, Seizure is the god debuff of Brave New World. In particular, it overrides Regen for most (but not all) bosses, including Dadaluma.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Unless it's changed since the last time I played it, Seizure is the god debuff of Brave New World. In particular, it overrides Regen for most (but not all) bosses, including Dadaluma.

Nothing is immune to Seizure unless it has inherent Regen. I've seen a few BNW streams and almost no one seems to realize that Seizure/Poison alter the WoR dragon battle scripts.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I still want an FF6 remake where the espers teach special moves like Firaga Sword and Aim to like the 80% of the cast that don't care about magic besides Cura/ga.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

I still want an FF6 remake where the espers teach special moves like Firaga Sword and Aim to like the 80% of the cast that don't care about magic besides Cura/ga.

Reminds me of an idea I had awhile back. You'd get "spells" like Fire and Cure but they do different things for different jobs. For example, with Fire the Knight would get Fire Sword, Summoner would get Ifrit, White Mage Null-Fire, Berserker absorbs fire, etc. while with Cure Time Mage gets Regen, Bard gets a weak healing song, etc. You'd have so many slots and gain more during the game to equip magic. Maybe a separate -ra or -ga slot to buff elements (or just make separate versions of those elements).

Definitely not a perfect idea as-is but if you limit them then it'd add a bit of strategy for building your team, especially if you only get one or two "ultimate" spells so all your characters can't spam their strongest attacks. It'd be neat to see but doubt it'd happen outside a fan game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

DoubleCakes posted:

Does it still add a bunch of tasteless jokes to the script?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I had some trouble with Dadaluma, he was tougher than most, but it didn't feel like it was too much/bad design.

Bongo Bill posted:

Does it still add a bunch of tasteless jokes to the script?

Yes, unfortunately. Some jokes don't bug me but the crude humour or the cultural references make me roll my eyes. Aside from explaining the new systems, I could do without the retranslation.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
all these survey options for ff15. it's never going to be finished is it

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gologle posted:

Calm down, buddy. The only paling in FF Tactics is on Ramza's butt.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I hope your last wish was to live until FF7 remake comes out because apparently They're just starting to recruit staff

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It doesn't say they're starting, it's just saying they're trying to boost their development staff with overseas help?

Not that I'm expecting it this decade anyway.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tae posted:

I hope your last wish was to live until FF7 remake comes out because apparently They're just starting to recruit staff

My wish is for SE to fire Nomura's parasitic rear end

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

You do know Nomura has continued to direct and produce games, right?

The "Nomura does literally nothing!!!" meme is stupid because it's factually disprovable and seems to ignore the fact that even while the FFXV clusterfuck was going on he put out multiple Kingdom Hearts games and acts like they don't count because they don't have a 3 after the name. It's really weird and uncomfortable and hyper-focused on repeating half-translated poo poo they heard somewhere on the internet because they recognize a guy's name.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Oxxidation posted:

Same

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

But he's the guy that ruined final fantasy, look, his name's even on the title.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

ImpAtom posted:

You do know Nomura has continued to direct and produce games, right?

The "Nomura does literally nothing!!!" meme is stupid because it's factually disprovable and seems to ignore the fact that even while the FFXV clusterfuck was going on he put out multiple Kingdom Hearts games and acts like they don't count because they don't have a 3 after the name. It's really weird and uncomfortable and hyper-focused on repeating half-translated poo poo they heard somewhere on the internet because they recognize a guy's name.

My problem with nomura is not that he does nothing is just the stuff be does sucks

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tae posted:

This probably means that they're starting to go into proper full on development rather than just starting, so if true, that's actually more of an encouraging sign that it will finish than not.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The drakengard series is a better example of a parasitic relationship at SE, and good on it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope Taro does a big budget Drakengard 4 now.

Or maybe a remake of the first one.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Motto posted:

The drakengard series is a better example of a parasitic relationship at SE, and good on it.

But without Drakengard we probably wouldn't have Nier and Automata so I posit that the series was, in fact, good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Nomura did fine with WoFF, even if Reynn and Lann look like they were straight up pulled out of Kingdom Hearts.