Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

Mango Polo posted:

Welcome to 40k, don't forget to let us know what you think of the game once you'll have played it for the first time ever :3:

I really don't see what that has to do with ugly datasheets but okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

Lookit all dem fukkin rules and keywords. Is this for one unit?

Literally 40% of it is down to the transport rules not being part of base AoS.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Pawl posted:

:)

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Broken Record Talk posted:

That looks like a complete disaster to try and use. I though AoS was supposed to be 40k lite?

I'm guessing it's because AoS has no core vehicle/transport rules so they've had to print them all for a single snowflake unit. Nearly half the text is just for transporting stuff.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pawl posted:

Maybe because you're complaining about color choice rather than organization.

Pawl posted:

Still looks nicer than the grey tone spreaddatasheets

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles
So just to be clear: you guys like the greyscale excel spreadsheets and you really don't think they could have done a better job with them?

It's okay to be critical of things

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Mango Polo posted:

It is, indeed, one unit.

Lol at anyone not playing kow over this poo poo.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Pawl posted:

So just to be clear: you guys like the greyscale excel spreadsheets and you really don't think they could have done a better job with them?

I would actually prefer a .xls to anything else.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Pawl posted:

Yeah. They clearly and concisely outline the rules, in a format that is easy to read. If I wanted fancy decorated pages with a bunch of poo poo all over them, I'd be buying a fluff book.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Pawl posted:

Still looks nicer than the grey tone spreaddatasheets

Grey tone is actually going to print well and be legible on kindles, it's a good decision.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

If I wanted fancy decorated pages with a bunch of poo poo all over them, I'd be buying a fluff book Age of Sigmar books.

Fixed for truth.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Pawl posted:

This is what we're coming from, it remains to be seen what it looks like in the index but the spreadsheet of options is a welcome change.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles

Yeah. They clearly and concisely outline the rules, in a format that is easy to read. If I wanted fancy decorated pages with a bunch of poo poo all over them, I'd be buying a fluff book.

Why are these choices mutually exclusive...? It's possible to have information displayed well and in a way that is aesthetically pleasing.

Or do you just genuinely prefer looking at ugly spreadsheets

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pawl posted:

I like them a lot more than AoS warscrolls and still think they could have organized them better.

Pawl posted:

:laffo:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Datasheets look cool and good. I'm glad they went with more of a utilitarian setup rather than trying to make them all fancy. This is going to be so much better than flipping back and forth between 3-5 pages depending on the unit. (Ask me about forgetting that Terminators can move and fire heavy weapons as it doesn't say this on the Chaos Terminator page, but instead the armor page.[it had been years since I had played and I had never used Terminators before])

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

The AoS data sheet is cool and good; for GW created it.

The warhammer 40k data sheet is good and cool; for GW created it.

All GW's creations are good. Amen

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pawl posted:

A good, readable format isn't necessarily the best looking format. Adding colors and excessive formatting distracts from the true purpose of the product, which is to get you the information in a clear, quick, and concise manner. The new datasheets are fine.

If you're ever in a business environment where you have to deal with people who like to pretty up their email with terrible fonts, backgrounds, and clipart, you'll appreciate the phrase "elegant simplicity."

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

$160 is a little more than I'm wanting to pay, I would've been interested at $140. I'm not sold on primaris marines, and it'd be a while before I did anything with death guard, and they're all single pose models anyway. If it was a little cheaper I might've gone for it but I'm just going to look for the rulebook on ebay. Even if I split it with someone I'd have to give a pretty loving favorable split for me to get the rulebook plus half the models, and I'm not sure what half I'd want more.

Jesus gently caress if $20 is going to break you this might not be the right hobby for your lifestyle.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

berzerkmonkey posted:

A good, readable format isn't necessarily the best looking format. Adding colors and excessive formatting distracts from the true purpose of the product, which is to get you the information in a clear, quick, and concise manner. The new datasheets are fine.

If you're ever in a business environment where you have to deal with people who like to pretty up their email with terrible fonts, backgrounds, and clipart, you'll appreciate the phrase "elegant simplicity."

Truth. Nothing irritates me more than people who try to "decorate" their emails.

I want information to be conveyed, nothing more, nothing less.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles

berzerkmonkey posted:

There's a lot of room between clip art email signatures and monotone spreadsheets. Even in technical STEM fields you still utilize space and colour to display information in a way that draws attention where you want the reader to look.

If I had to choose between function and form I would always pick the former, but why is it impossible to have function with some modicum of form?

Pawl fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 24, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's a difference between form and dumbass bullshit.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Why the gently caress would I want this?

Over this?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

panascope posted:

I would actually prefer a .xls to anything else.

.csv for me, please

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

spacegoat posted:

Why the gently caress would I want this?

Over this?

1) as discussed that one unit is WILDLY atypical because AoS has no baked in transport rules

2) you can get the later for AoS

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

TKIY posted:

Jesus gently caress if $20 is going to break you this might not be the right hobby for your lifestyle.

Calm down there, you're a little excitable.

I didn't say $20 is going to "break me", I said that it's the point where I'd rather buy the rulebook separate because I don't really want either sets of models that much. If it was a better deal I would go for it anyway.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

TKIY posted:

Too bad some of invested so heavily in Tau having never played a game or, in fact, knowing they would even care for it at all.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Pawl posted:

There's a lot of room between clip art email signatures and monotone spreadsheets. Even in technical STEM fields you still utilize space and colour to display information in a way that draws attention where you want the reader to look.

If I had to choose between function and form I would always pick the former, but why is it impossible to have function with some modicum of form?

Those are a perfectly good layout, you just don't have a clue. Maybe you can paint yours pretty shiny colours.

tallkidwithglasses posted:

.csv for me, please

Burn the witch

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

There's a difference between form and dumbass bullshit.

I improved it

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I vastly prefer formats that are easier to read and contain all the information I want over formats that look pretty. That's why a digital Datasheet would be preferred; if I can tailor it to cut out anything that I don't need (like weapons my unit doesn't have) then it becomes a useful reference instead of a pretty sheet of paper.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

mango sentinel posted:

1) as discussed that one unit is WILDLY atypical because AoS has no baked in transport rules

2) you can get the later for AoS

Ok, is this a more acceptable example of "why the gently caress would I want this"?

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
gently caress you guys have a point about readability over style but there's no need to be assholes about it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Not sure if it was posted here yet, but the MSRP for the rulebooks in the US was confirmed at 60 for the main rulebook and 25 for the index books.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Too bad some of invested so heavily in Tau having never played a game or, in fact, knowing they would even care for it at all.

Oh drat you got me. I spent some money on plastic space barbies and I thought I was having fun building/painting and was happy with that purchase but it turns out that you all-knowing goons know better because my one complaint thus far about the colour of the rules totally invalidates my purchase noooooooo

Chance II posted:

gently caress you guys have a point about readability over style but there's no need to be assholes about it.

I'm loving how worked up people are getting over somebody commenting about how ugly the rules are

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Pretty excited about there only being 2 forge world books with everything in there. I have never cared for how forge world made it semi confusing to figure out where rules for models were and required several books for a single army.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

spacegoat posted:

Ok, is this a more acceptable example of "why the gently caress would I want this"?

Yeah that thing is a formatting mess.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
I can hack the formatting in the 40k example, ugly as it is, it's more that I need one page per unit of my army, and many of my rules are such that my opponent will need them explained.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Pawl posted:

Oh drat you got me. I spent some money on plastic space barbies and I thought I was having fun building/painting and was happy with that purchase but it turns out that you all-knowing goons know better because my one complaint thus far about the colour of the rules totally invalidates my purchase noooooooo

:3:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Chance II posted:

I'm gonna find your childhood home and drive a bulldozer through it. You hosed with the wrong poster dude, prepare for a universe of pain.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'm loving how worked up people are getting over somebody commenting about how readable the rules are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I was hoping against hope that Forgeworld would just release their stuff as PDFs. I don't really want to have to buy another book just to run my Sicaran but it is what it is. Maybe the ebook will be cheap.

• Locked thread