Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Condiv posted:

i was thinking of getting a nespresso with k cups, but this looks like a better deal. it looks kinda like a french press

Nespresso is Nestle, right? Don't buy Nestle poo poo, they're evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

JawnV6 posted:

At some point VC's should be making intelligent bets on the future of the market, not just applying hundreds of millions of dollars scattershot across the right buzzwords? $120M is 30 seed rounds for not-awful ideas, but VC's "who should know better" went with a finance bro true believer that completely missed on the technology side.

Welcome to VC. I'm sure Subjunctive will be here shortly to explain not all VC but the decades-long herd mentality and tendency to over-fund stupid poo poo because it comes from people just like themselves (see: finance juice bro) has made it a complete joke.

The right way to do VC these days is to get angel funding (or self-fund) to the point where they're coming to you with offers, so you can avoid giving up much of anything and they get to feel smart, as if they're people who actually do something real too.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

JawnV6 posted:

At some point VC's should be making intelligent bets on the future of the market, not just applying hundreds of millions of dollars scattershot across the right buzzwords? $120M is 30 seed rounds for not-awful ideas, but VC's "who should know better" went with a finance bro true believer that completely missed on the technology side.

there's a tremendous shortage of not-awful ideas looking for funding compared to the amount of VC looking to grow itself

this is one reason why people keep shoveling money into the giant flaming pit called uber (the others are the sunk cost fallacy and the bigger sucker principle)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
A subscription service that sends you a mystery box of ten possible VC funding opportunities per month!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Mozi posted:

A subscription service that sends you a mystery box of ten possible VC funding opportunities per month!

VCr?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

fishmech posted:

"cold pressed" juices usually eschew all other forms of preservation. That's why juicero's packets expire so quickly, the packages aren't even sealed to keep the fruit mush safe, they have air contact with the outside through a filter patch so it can "breathe".

How. How does it keep getting more stupid.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shugojin posted:

Keep in mind that if you ever go to someplace offering "cold pressed" juice they're doing the exact same bullshit.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Shugojin posted:

everything else aside, a subscription-based product that expires quickly is a great way to extract profit :capitalism:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

fishmech posted:

Keep in mind that if you ever go to someplace offering "cold pressed" juice they're doing the exact same bullshit.

Do they just mash everything together and then make sure it can oxidize most efficiently before they press it, though?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shugojin posted:

Do they just mash everything together and then make sure it can oxidize most efficiently before they press it, though?

You're supposed to be using the freshest harvests and chop them up fresh before you put them in the press. Because of the "life force" poo poo.

In practice the fruit gets cut up first and kept around for a few days before it gets used in the press, so its about the same as using a juicero packet.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

fishmech posted:

"life force"

IIRC the jui-CEO called it "chi," which is way funnier.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

fishmech posted:

You're supposed to be using the freshest harvests and chop them up fresh before you put them in the press. Because of the "life force" poo poo.

In practice the fruit gets cut up first and kept around for a few days before it gets used in the press, so its about the same as using a juicero packet.

...most food service places will put cut fruits/veggies in large plastic containers with lids that actually seal. So still a step above ~breathable bags~

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shugojin posted:

...most food service places will put cut fruits/veggies in large plastic containers with lids that actually seal. So still a step above ~breathable bags~

Sealing your fruits/vegetables is against the principles of the "cold pressed" thing, so they wouldn't be doing that.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The advantage of cutting it up yourself is that fruit comes with its own protective cover, so you can buy it and keep it around for a while safely before you cut it up. The protective cover is even edible!

Having someone else remove the protective cover before shipping it to you raw is kind of dumb.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

withak posted:

The advantage of cutting it up yourself is that fruit comes with its own protective cover, so you can buy it and keep it around for a while safely before you cut it up. The protective cover is even edible!

Sometimes, anyway. I'm not eating coconut husk if I can help it, even if it technically wouldn't kill me to take a big ol' bite.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Prism posted:

Sometimes, anyway. I'm not eating coconut husk if I can help it, even if it technically wouldn't kill me to take a big ol' bite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQU6o4ooL5E&t=36s

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

fishmech posted:

Sealing your fruits/vegetables is against the principles of the "cold pressed" thing, so they wouldn't be doing that.

Wait seriously

...I'm so glad I've never purchased cold pressed juice, this poo poo is just way too complicated and dumb.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
The Something Awful Forums > Goons With Spoons > The fall of unicorns: iThread

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I'm continually amazed how many people still think food is magic in TYOOL 2017. Like, you think the idiocy is stamped out once the latest fad diet stops being fashionable and its revealed that it doesn't really work, but then along comes someone else with a tentative grasp of biology to sell you something.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Baby Babbeh posted:

I'm continually amazed how many people still think food is magic in TYOOL 2017. Like, you think the idiocy is stamped out once the latest fad diet stops being fashionable and its revealed that it doesn't really work, but then along comes someone else with a tentative grasp of biology to sell you something.

There are a set of factors that lead to that situation, I'm working with a prof on a book chapter on the bad food/diet information glut scenario.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Baby Babbeh posted:

Nobody wants to hear "stop eating delicious junk food and exercise," they want organic health potion and bizarre diet rituals instead. Shortcuts always sell better then the hard way and they always will.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Baby Babbeh posted:

At some point moving goods and services involved immense amounts of labor and effort, and now we have internal combustion engines and a network of highways/railroads/flight paths. At some point obtaining arbitrary information was at best cumbersome and at worse neigh impossible, and now we have the internet. It isn't a huge shock that people would crave a similar shortcut to making themselves lean and healthy.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Nobody wants to hear "stop eating delicious junk food and exercise," they want organic health potion and bizarre diet rituals instead. Shortcuts always sell better then the hard way and they always will.

Alternatively, if diet and exercise were covered under health care (gym membership, a diet food program, ect.), I think we'd see more people at least trying it.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

Alternatively, if diet and exercise were covered under health care (gym membership, a diet food program, ect.), I think we'd see more people at least trying it.

All comrades are welcome at the community gymnasium and health centre.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

eschaton posted:

All comrades are welcome at the community gymnasium and health centre.

You know you say its for everyone, but I only see you enrolling Ukranians in the diet program.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

eschaton posted:

Nespresso is Nestle, right? Don't buy Nestle poo poo, they're evil.

They're all evil.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'll note that some of the big silicon valley tech companies self-insure their employee health care and cover basically everything, though payments and such are processed through a normal insurance company.

This means they have every incentive to keep you healthy. Where I work there are company gyms on-site, company-sponsored fitness instructors, free healthy meals cooked on-site, and all manner of other small things.

It is literally someone's job to measure ways they can nudge employees eating healthier snacks at work -- the apples and granola are eye-level, and the chips are hidden in a box on the bottom shelf. The sodas are behind the frosted glass part at the bottom of the fridge, while the unsweetened ice tea is at eye level. I notice I end up having the unhealthy stuff slightly less

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Traditionally, sure. But the current wave of stupid food fads is not being powered by fat people.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Baby Babbeh posted:

It's even easier now for people to think food is magic, as people are further and further removed from food production. When the number of Americans working in agriculture is down to 2% of the population, people can become really susceptible to dumb ideas about food. Add in the fact that food has always been an area of life where people make weird religious distinctions between pure and impure, and it's a perfect recipe for all sorts of weird poo poo.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/23/business/economy/uber-drivers-tax.html

Disruption continues.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

I work on my company's billing system, which feeds directly into our sales team's comp, and this sort of thing scares the poo poo out of me.

gently caress Uber, though.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

"Mistake"

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Wheany posted:

Btw, if you drink like a cup of coffee every few hours, and only need to make that single cup at a time, I can recommend Aeropress:

It's a plastic tube and a piston, it uses regular coffee, is simple and quick to use, cleans easily, costs :20bux: + :10bux: and one pack of those coffee filter papers costs 4bux and has 350 of them in it.

Some people say that it makes especially good coffee even, but I haven't noticed. It's just coffee. I used to use a regular coffee maker but because I only drink the 1 cup (well, mug) at a time, i just use a kettle and the aeropress.

fake edit: It doesn't have a wifi, or any electronics.

It makes a better (faux)espresso than most peoples Espresso machines, unless you're spending like $400+

Absolutely magical device.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

kuerig pods cause an insane amount of disposable packaging pollution

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

You know you say its for everyone, but I only see you enrolling Ukranians in the diet program.

Haha and a good holodomorning to you too.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

sitchensis posted:

thereisnoethicalconsumptionundercapitalism.jpg

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

sitchensis posted:

You can recycle or compost most kcups now though????

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
that guy fuckin rules, what's his startup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
The latest bullshit from the Bay Area:

http://www.filld.com/

One of their trucks was in front of me in traffic today, painted with big block letters that read "LOW ON GAS? THERE'S AN APP FOR THAT."

That name... oh god, they're reading the thread! All it needs is to be organic and cold-pressed double-filtered gas and they've got BINGO.