Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Unfortunately that historical fact gets turned into "Well actually, black people are equally responsible for slavery, therefore..." by racist shitheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

The one thing that I remember about Roots that I doubt is their depiction of how the actual enslavement happened. I thought the process was people being grabbed in wars between African nations and then sold onto boats, not just sailors hopping off a boat and throwing a net over anyone hanging around the beach. Am I wrong about that?

Basically the merchants would trade guns to the more aggressive nations in return for slaves. So yeah, your instincts are right.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

German 75mm projectiles are on the menu today. Which Skoda gun was dual-purpose, and what round is being examined? What guns could fire the smoke round seen today? How many hollow charge rounds are on display today?

All that and more at the blog!

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

nothing to seehere posted:

Looking at the wiki page, Somerset was also quite narrow in his judgement (even if publically it was taken as a ban on slavery in England). He only said that slaves couldn't be deported to the colonies without consent, and later ruled being enslaved didn't count as being "hired" for Poor Law relief.

The essential point is that there's no explicit law in England and Wales seen as explicitly governing slavery and establishing it as a legal institution. The law is just more or less silent about it. The law of England and Wales was equipped to distinguish between different types of vassalage (who is a villein? what is the status of a lord who is also a vassal?) not between liber homo/voluntas and servus etc. It's certainly the case that, in smallish numbers, slaves set foot upon English soil without being emancipated in the 18th century and prior, but their cases were never really tested at law and they were a small number of people. In any event the Somersett case became symbolic, passing well beyond its original meaning very quickly.

There were, additionally, a number of medieval bits and pieces issued by the church and by various kings of England outlawing or severely restricting slavery, but they were not really legally controlling in the 1800's, nor were they specific enough.

I should add for trivia purposes that if you read, like I have, the book of foreign office correspondence with the United States in the 1850's and 1860's, you'll find that a very large proportion of the letters to the United States from the UK are letters demanding that British subjects, who have been enslaved by southern slavers opportunistically, be returned home, usually to Jamaica (the other 2/3rds of letters being things like passing along gifts for saving British sailors at sea and so on).

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Hunt11 posted:

Basically the merchants would trade guns to the more aggressive nations in return for slaves. So yeah, your instincts are right.

Wasn't there still some 'catch our own' in times when the supply through normal means was low?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Delivery McGee posted:

Yeah, they fixed all the design flaws and then got sloppy with powder handling between the wars.

The main problem with British battlecruisers is that they got into fair fights, when the entire point of the type is to be massively unfair -- they were meant to outgun anything with less armour, and outrun anything that could put up a fight. Battlecruiser design, sacrificing armour for speed, was meant to pick on the little guys and nope the gently caress out when a battleship appeared. Get in a fight with other battlecruisers, it's like tanks -- first to shoot wins. Get in a fight with a properly-armoured battleship ... And then they sent Hood to go after a proper battleship (which Hitler had sent on a suicide mission to do a u-boat's cruiser's job as a commerce raider. In retrospect, it almost looks like the whole Bismarck thing was orchestrated to assassinate Lütjens, but Hitler wasn't that smart).

The deck armor didn't really play into it, the killing blow came through the side.

In the same battle, King George V took a hit that went through 80 feet of water, holed the ship 28 feet below the waterline, and booped the torpedo bulkhead after going through several lesser walls. Luckily the shell was a dud.

If nothing else, I think we can all agree that naval artillery is a thing you do not want to be on the receiving end of. Whether it's Nelson, Jellicoe, or Halsey, a line of battleships is a bad day for the enemy.

What makes this Jurens so uniquely qualified to discuss the wreck that his opinion (and, as far as I can tell, his opinion alone, as the others who studied the wreck do not seem to endorse them - can't be sure since I don't want to pay $50 for a copy of the report Wikipedia is citing as a source) is enough to make things certain enough for you to say this definitively?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Jobbo_Fett posted:

WW2 Data

German 75mm projectiles are on the menu today. Which Skoda gun was dual-purpose, and what round is being examined? What guns could fire the smoke round seen today? How many hollow charge rounds are on display today?

All that and more at the blog!

Interesting to see how many different HEAT shells the Germans had. Also is there no info on shells for the KwK 42, or is that in another section?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Taerkar posted:

Wasn't there still some 'catch our own' in times when the supply through normal means was low?

Not in any big way. Supply tended not to be low because the profitability of selling slaves to white people caused the coastal kingdoms to fight a lot more wars than they had before, specifically to capture more slaves inland to sell.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
Apparently before the European Slave Trade, said nations would just kill all the captives. Can't remember why, probably religion.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hazzard posted:

Apparently before the European Slave Trade, said nations would just kill all the captives. Can't remember why, probably religion.

No? Not generally speaking. Slavery is p much omnipresent worldwide before this period, why waste the resources.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Hazzard posted:

That sounds like something a slave trader (or owner, or someone else whose livelihood is tied up in slavery) would say to justify himself more than fact, IMO.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ensign Expendable posted:

Interesting to see how many different HEAT shells the Germans had. Also is there no info on shells for the KwK 42, or is that in another section?

Honestly, could just be missing. I'm working off of a US Technical Manual that isn't as extensive as later research afaik.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Speaking of slavery, stealing this article from TFR

We were talking a few pages back about why the system self perpetuates and the mentalities involved and this speaks directly to it. The case of the mother is really telling as she wasn't an enthusiastic owner, clearly recognized something was a bit hosed, but 100% relied on the arrangement to make her as she wanted to live it life possible.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I brought that up in another thread (I'm Filipino) and I've so far been really disgusted with my own countrymen putting up the whole "but it's cultural!" angle as deflection, or even "we need to keep doing it because it's often the only way for these people to earn a living!"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

"Earn a living"

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Taerkar posted:

But the people in the slave-trading African states probably wouldn't have seen the captives as "their own". They were from different countries.

feedmegin posted:

No? Not generally speaking. Slavery is p much omnipresent worldwide before this period, why waste the resources.

It's not like it's unheard for people to do things that were less than efficient for cultural or religious reasons. But a quick look at Wikipedia (yeah I know, take it with a grain of salt) led me to this page. It was a state ceremony only in Dahomey and the human sacrifices were introduced in 1730. The article suggests that the human sacrifices were a consequence of the slave trade's importance for that kingdom's economy. It would a stretch to say that was a common practice outside that kingdom.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
its an idiotic twofer because they blame the africans that lost the war for their own enslavement and try to act that they were gifted with a better country after europeans turned any remaining west african countries into hosed up colonial hellholes

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Disinterested posted:

The essential point is that there's no explicit law in England and Wales seen as explicitly governing slavery and establishing it as a legal institution. The law is just more or less silent about it. The law of England and Wales was equipped to distinguish between different types of vassalage (who is a villein? what is the status of a lord who is also a vassal?) not between liber homo/voluntas and servus etc. It's certainly the case that, in smallish numbers, slaves set foot upon English soil without being emancipated in the 18th century and prior, but their cases were never really tested at law and they were a small number of people. In any event the Somersett case became symbolic, passing well beyond its original meaning very quickly.

Very quickly - there were black people in court celebrating the ruling. The "small number of people" was 10-15,000, for anyone who didn't know.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Speaking of slaves, did the British and the French 'free' slaves in Africa to enroll them in the militairy like the Dutch did?

With 'free' I mean being a free man after 10 years of service in a bloody conflict.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Molentik posted:

Speaking of slaves, did the British and the French 'free' slaves in Africa to enroll them in the militairy like the Dutch did?

With 'free' I mean being a free man after 10 years of service in a bloody conflict.

No, but the British did make them stay on as 'apprentices' for 6-8 years after emancipation.

They also found other ways of getting unfree labor in any case, it was just a touch more sophisticated(usually debt peonage).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I believe freedom with service was offered to American slaves during the American Revolutionary War, and a great many took them up on that. Not sure how well it worked out for them, but I think a large number of freedmen were resettled into Canada.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

I believe freedom with service was offered to American slaves during the American Revolutionary War, and a great many took them up on that. Not sure how well it worked out for them, but I think a large number of freedmen were resettled into Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Negroes for more details on that. Part of the treaty that established the USA stipulated that those slaves were now free (against American objections; the Founding Fathers wanted them returned to their owners, of course).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

NOLA mayor Mitch Landrieu gave a great speech about the taking down of the Confederate monuments. It's an astonishing speech given the context of both the national political climate and the fact it was delivered in a southern city with close ties to the Confederacy. It's long but well worth the read.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm not sure if this is the right thread or not, but-

I am not terrifically knowledgeable on the exact proceedings of Truman's two terms as POTUS, and I was wondering, besides a different handling of Korea, how Truman's presidency might have gone better. I was thinking of reading McCullough's book on Truman and start a CYOA of his Presidency on another forum soon.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Sorry to repost but it got lost in between the heated debate about the ethics of treating post successionist slavers:

So, who here loves soldier slang? I just discovered a fantastic gem on Project Guntenberg!

The 1811 DICTIONARY OF THE VULGAR TONGUE is the perfect guide to the less than stellar slang of the Napoleonic Wars. It also includes some stuff from prisoners, students and other civilians the military stuff of course being very easily to identify.

I'll post the preface and a few examples below!

quote:

The merit of Captain Grose's Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue has been long and universally acknowledged. But its circulation was confined almost exclusively to the lower orders of society: he was not aware, at the time of its compilation, that our young men of fashion would at no very distant period be as distinguished for the vulgarity of their jargon as the inhabitants of Newgate; and he therefore conceived it superfluous to incorporate with his work the few examples of fashionable slang that might occur to his observation.

But our Jehus of rank have a phraseology not less peculiar to themselves, than the disciples of Barrington: for the uninitiated to understand their modes of expression, is as impossible as for a Buxton to construe the Greek Testament. To sport an Upper Benjamin, and to swear with a good grace, are qualifications easily attainable by their cockney imitators; but without the aid of our additional definitions, neither the cits of Fish-street, nor the boors of Brentford would be able to attain the language of whippism. We trust, therefore, that the whole tribe of second-rate Bang Ups, will feel grateful for our endeavour to render this part of the work as complete as possible. By an occasional reference to our pages, they may be initiated into all the peculiarities of language by which the man of spirit is distinguished from the man of worth. They may now talk bawdy before their papas, without the fear of detection, and abuse their less spirited companions, who prefer a good dinner at home to a glorious UP-SHOT in the highway, without the hazard of a cudgelling.

But we claim not merely the praise of gratifying curiosity, or affording assistance to the ambitious; we are very sure that the moral influence of the Lexicon Balatronicum will be more certain and extensive than that of any methodist sermon that has ever been delivered within the bills of mortality. We need not descant on the dangerous impressions that are made on the female mind, by the remarks that fall incidentally from the lips of the brothers or servants of a family; and we have before observed, that improper topics can with our assistance be discussed, even before the ladies, without raising a blush on the cheek of modesty. It is impossible that a female should understand the meaning of TWIDDLE DIDDLES, or rise from table at the mention of BUCKINGER'S BOOT. Besides, Pope assures us, that "VICE TO BE HATED NEEDS BUT TO BE SEEN;" in this volume it cannot be denied, that she is seen very plainly; and a love of virtue is, therefore, the necessary result of perusing it.

The propriety of introducing the UNIVERSITY SLANG will be readily admitted; it is not less curious than that of the College in the Old Bailey, and is less generally understood. When the number and accuracy of our additions are compared with the price of the volume, we have no doubt that its editors will meet with the encouragement that is due to learning, modesty, and virtue.

Some examples!

quote:

ALL NATIONS. A composition of all the different spirits
sold in a dram-shop, collected in a vessel into which
the drainings of the bottles and quartern pots are emptied.

GROG-BLOSSOM. A carbuncle, or pimple in the face, caused by drinking.

RESURRECTION MEN. Persons employed by the students in anatomy to steal dead bodies out of church-yards.

TO VAMP. To pawn any thing. I'll vamp it, and tip you the cole: I'll pawn it, and give you the money. Also to refit, new dress, or rub up old hats, shoes or other wearing apparel; likewise to put new feet to old boots. Applied more particularly to a quack bookseller.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

PittTheElder posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunmore%27s_Proclamation

The principal effect was for huge numbers of slaves to try (largely unsuccessfully) to flee plantations northward, the simple military effects were comparatively minimal. As you say, they are resettled (in Nova Scotia), though there are thoughts and efforts toward African resettlement.

Safety Biscuits posted:

Very quickly - there were black people in court celebrating the ruling. The "small number of people" was 10-15,000, for anyone who didn't know.

Not 10-15k slaves, 10-15k black people, mostly in London, a city of a million people - and out of about 3 million slaves transported by British slavers.

Is the scale I'm working with when I say 'small', I don't intend to diminish the ruling's importance to those indivudals effected by it, but in the scale of British or world slavery it was quite a small scale change except insofar as it acted as an inspiration for later, more wholesale, reform.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 23, 2017

ltkerensky
Oct 27, 2010

Biggest lurker to ever lurk.

SeanBeansShako posted:

The 1811 DICTIONARY OF THE VULGAR TONGUE is the perfect guide to the less than stellar slang of the Napoleonic Wars. It also includes some stuff from prisoners, students

quote:

BARGAIN. To sell a bargain; a species of wit, much in vogue about the latter end of the reign of Queen Anne, and frequently alluded to by Dean Swift, who says the maids of honour often amused themselves with it. It consisted in the seller naming his or her hinder parts, in answer to the question, What? which the buyer was artfully led to ask. As a specimen, take the following instance: A lady would come into a room full of company, apparently in a fright, crying out, It is white, and follows me! On any of the company asking, What? she sold him the bargain, by saying, Mine a-e.

This poo poo is great.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It's great to see some of the phrases still kicking around today too in a weird way.

ltkerensky
Oct 27, 2010

Biggest lurker to ever lurk.

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's great to see some of the phrases still kicking around today too in a weird way.

quote:

TO BOX THE JESUIT, AND GET COCK ROACHES. A sea term for masturbation; a crime, it is said, much practised by the reverend fathers of that society.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"Boxing the Jesuit" is now what I'm going to call it too.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Grouchio posted:

I am not terrifically knowledgeable on the exact proceedings of Truman's two terms as POTUS, and I was wondering, besides a different handling of Korea, how Truman's presidency might have gone better. I was thinking of reading McCullough's book on Truman and start a CYOA of his Presidency on another forum soon.

Not knowing as much as I'd like to, I think the issue for Truman was that there was a natural backlash against the Democratic Party in general and a splintering of the New Deal coalition after they'd been in power for so long. Without FDR's personal power and charisma the Democrats didn't have a unifying beloved figurehead, and with the increasing drive of the Civil Rights movement the split between the Southern Democrats and the rest of the party was inevitable. And while he probably could have handled post-war relations with the Soviets better, the Red Scare and the backlash against the Soviet Union was also inevitable after the depth of Soviet spying in the US was revealed. So while he could have theoretically done better, I think it's also worth remembering that many of the events that defined his presidency were out of his hands.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Grouchio posted:

You'll get a good breakdown of what Truman was up to in Halberstam's The Coldest Winter. If you're looking into the war in relation to his presidency, you should know more about the political maneuvers and the great reluctance to "lose" Korea like China had been "lost".

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

"Boxing the Jesuit" is now what I'm going to call it too.

It's a valid alternative to 'bashing the bishop', for sure!

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

zoux posted:

NOLA mayor Mitch Landrieu gave a great speech about the taking down of the Confederate monuments. It's an astonishing speech given the context of both the national political climate and the fact it was delivered in a southern city with close ties to the Confederacy. It's long but well worth the read.

This is a really great read and he summarizes the issue perfectly. Shame it'll fall on deaf ears in the usual crowd of defenders

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

SeanBeansShako posted:

1811 DICTIONARY OF THE VULGAR TONGUE

i love that dictionary and i must spam

The cove was lagged for prigging a peter with several stretch of dobbin from a drag.

STRETCH. A yard. The fellow was transported for stealing a trunk, containing several yards of ribband, from a waggon.

DILDO. [From the Italian DILETTO, q. d. a woman's delight; or from our word DALLY, q. d. a thing to play withal.] Penis-succedaneus, called in Lombardy Passo Tempo. Bailey.

DUTCH COMFORT. Thank God it is no worse.

DUTCH CONCERT. Where every one plays or signs a
different tune.

DUTCH FEAST. Where the entertainer gets drunk before
his guest.

DUTCH RECKONING, or ALLE-MAL. A verbal or lump account, without particulars, as brought at spungiug or bawdy houses.

FRENCH CREAM. Brandy; so called by the old tabbies and dowagers when drank in their tea.

FRENCH DISEASE. The venereal disease, said to have been imported from France. French gout; the same. He suffered by a blow over the snout with a French human being-stick; i.e. he lost his nose by the pox.

FRENCH LEAVE. To take French leave; to go off without taking leave of the company: a saying frequently applied to persons who have run away from their creditors.

FRENCHIFIED. Infected with the venereal disease. The mort is Frenchified: the wench is infected.

IRISH APRICOTS. Potatoes. It is a common joke against
the Irish vessels, to say they are loaded with fruit and
timber, that is, potatoes and broomsticks.

IRISH ASSURANCE. A bold forward behaviour: as being dipt in the river Styx was formerly supposed to render persons invulnerable, so it is said that a dipping in the river Shannon totally annihilates bashfulness; whence arises the saying of an impudent Irishman, that he has been dipt in the Shannon.

IRISH BEAUTY. A woman with two black eyes.

IRISH EVIDENCE. A false witness.

IRISH LEGS. Thick legs, jocularly styled the Irish arms. It is said of the Irish women, that they have a dispensation from the pope to wear the thick end of their legs downwards.

IRISH TOYLES. Thieves who carry about pins, laces, and
other pedlars wares, and under the pretence of offering
their goods to sale, rob houses, or pilfer any thing they
can lay hold of.

of course there are more words about the irish, but those were the ones that started with 'irish'

SPADO. A sword. SPANISH.

SPANISH. The spanish; ready money.

SPANISH COIN. Fair words and compliments.

SPANISH human being. The sun.

SPANISH GOUT. The pox.

SPANISH PADLOCK. A kind of girdle contrived by jealous husbands of that nation, to secure the chastity of their wives.

SPANISH, or KING OF SPAIN'S TRUMPETER. An rear end
when braying.

SPANISH WORM. A nail: so called by carpenters when they
meet with one in a board they are sawing.

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 24, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
BANGING. Great; a fine banging boy. :v:

BASKET-MAKING. The good old trade of basket-making; copulation, or making feet for children's stockings.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Banging still means that, if something's banging it's good.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Related to the thread title even:

CAGG. To cagg; a military term used by the private soldiers, signifying a solemn vow or resolution not to get drunk for a certain time; or, as the term is, till their cagg is out: which vow is commonly observed with the strictest exactness. Ex. I have cagg'd myself for six months. Excuse me this time, and I will cagg myself for a year. This term is also used in the same sense among the common people of Scotland, where it is performed with divers ceremonies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Speaking of military slang, I've always wondered if there was a story behind "this man's army".

FastestGunAlive posted:

This is a really great read and he summarizes the issue perfectly. Shame it'll fall on deaf ears in the usual crowd of defenders

I don't know that I've ever seen a contemporary politician, especially a Southern one, directly call out the Lost Causers. It's kind of an esoteric movement for most Americans who don't think much about the legacy of the CSA.

https://twitter.com/Miller_Center/status/867017272606380032
This is amazing. Also, do y'all agree with Ike?

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

SeanBeansShako posted:

Sorry to repost but it got lost in between the heated debate about the ethics of treating post successionist slavers:

So, who here loves soldier slang? I just discovered a fantastic gem on Project Guntenberg!

The 1811 DICTIONARY OF THE VULGAR TONGUE is the perfect guide to the less than stellar slang of the Napoleonic Wars. It also includes some stuff from prisoners, students and other civilians the military stuff of course being very easily to identify.

I'll post the preface and a few examples below!

Some examples!

On one hand this is funny on the other hand this makes me think of all those incredibly inaccurate "online slang dictionaries" you've seen everywhere since the 90s