Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

snoremac posted:

Question based on that screenshot: should I be collecting in the Ivory Coast or keep transferring to Genoa? I'm not clear whether enough of that power makes it to Genoa or if it gets lost in Seville. Nevermind I deleted the game it's too addictive.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

I should probably do what that guy did too.

poo poo, I still haven't even managed to get the 1001 provinces achievement. I am bad at this game. It is a drug. I loving hate it and need to play other games.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I've only had this game for 13 months and I have 900 hours into it, what is even my life.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

RabidWeasel posted:

It's really frustrating as well because the system would work perfectly well if it was just balanced a bit better. As it is, Ming gets a gigantic stack of bonuses just for being huge and powerful and never going to war (see the rediculous amount of mandate growth from prosperity in that screenshot). Losing the mandate requires another state to actively come along and commit to a gigantic hellwar for decades to drain all your prosperity and devastate provinces. Ming never falls behind in tech because they can get MP tributes. There needs to be some mechanic whereby if you just kind of sit around for centuries you gradually get more and more decadent and ineffectual, resulting in rebels loving up your prosperity and generally kicking your rear end and the mandate being lost.
I would like to note that Ming is at war with Korea and Ryukyu(lol) in that screenshot.
Even so, it seems ridiculously easy for Ming to max the mandate, rendering it a super-stable blob without it having to do anything.

As far as what should be done about it, I don't think encouraging Ming(or whoever else) to aggressively acquire tributaries would be terribly accurate. However, the prosperity bonus to mandate needs to be toned down or removed entirely, and the penalties for bordering non-tributaries should be increased AND not having enough tributaries should be bad. It should cause a lot of unease in Ming if even states like Korea or Dai Viet(who're swole in my game) get big. Basically, the Emperor shouldn't be super-interested in conquering outside China proper(and that can be defined...expansively), but more so in ensuring everyone's tribute is coming in on schedule and no one's eating all of their tributaries(even another tributary).
Also, Ming definitely needs some more historical events and disasters.
Lastly, the arrival of Europeans definitely needs to stir things up more. They represent a credible alternative to China's power from outside the tributary system, and thus a threat to the Emperor's legitimacy.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Node posted:

I should probably do what that guy did too.

poo poo, I still haven't even managed to get the 1001 provinces achievement. I am bad at this game. It is a drug. I loving hate it and need to play other games.

Every time I return to this game it's a process where I'll start thinking it might be neat to pick up again with the new DLC, I have trouble persisting with re-learning the ropes again, I eventually get utterly obsessed and play until early hours for days, then feel rotten for having spent so much time on it and swear it off for a year. I'm "only" at 206 hours though. That's not counting a big chunk of offline play.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 23, 2017

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
2881 hours. As I often say, I'll podcast/listen to music/watch TV and movies while I play. I do have an addiction.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

New Russia dev diary and...

quote:

For 50% more Spynetwork cost, the Tsar may lay claim to an entire area, rather than settle for claiming individual provinces.

Woah!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Holy crap. This might have been designed to claim horde land but drat me if I am not going to claim huge swathes of european land. Lithuania is hosed.

Unless I am missing something here, Russia is going to become seriously overpowered even with the ideas nerf

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Contingency Plan posted:

I'm Bengal turned Hindustan, I have about 1100+ development, and I'm allied with Ottomans and France. I want to cancel my tributary status with Ming but they have a terrifying army 200+ regiments strong. Would they be likely to attack when I cancel my tributary status? Together we have a larger army but my allies are pretty far away. :ohdear:

Turns out: Yes, Ming will attack if you cancel tributary status. :gonk: Two lost wars and several lost provinces later, I'm Ming's bitch again.

I only need Canton to get Sun Never Sets on the Indian Empire. It's the early 1700's, my plan is to carve a path west through Persia to gain a border with my Ottoman allies, take quantity, eat more Ming tributaries and prepare for a final hellwar. Hopefully their mandate will start tanking when I cancel the second time.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Which mods, if any, do people enjoy playing with?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

alcaras posted:

Which mods, if any, do people enjoy playing with?

Theatrum Orbis Terrarum is my favorite. Basically modular set of cosmetic changes to make the game look less like rear end.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Why can't this be a thing for everyone? Fabricating claims is so tedious.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

skasion posted:

Theatrum Orbis Terrarum is my favorite. Basically modular set of cosmetic changes to make the game look less like rear end.
Quoting this so I can check it out when I get home. Does it break ironman?

Fister Roboto posted:

Why can't this be a thing for everyone? Fabricating claims is so tedious.
I agree 100%.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

It does not

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I agree 100%.

it doesn't and it's awesome. Edit: it will gently caress with random new world ironman for some reason though. It's perfectly fine with the standard new world.

The base version is pretty drab though, there's 3 addons that make colors more vibrant: more opacity, medium opacity and even more opacity (in order of least to most colorfulness - also there's a lot more addons to fully customize it)

I personally prefer medium opacity because it's a nice middle of the road option that retains the sorta-old-school map look but with enough color to easily distinguish nations at a quick glance, your game will look like this:

If that feels too colorful, give more opacity a try. I really couldn't stand the base version, countries with remotely similar colors blended togheter and it was a pain.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 23, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I do not recommend the beige water though. Get the dark water add on.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

skasion posted:

Yeah, it always annoys me when people post screenshots with that and my mind immediately thinks their game's hosed up and half the world is TI.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

skasion posted:

I use the normal blue water add on cause it mitigates the weird zoomed out coast issue.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I whine about the Ming, but when it finally clicks... :bisonyes:

It's easy enough if you tackle them at the start. I didn't even need an ally as in the guide, with 24-30k troops total (including banners). Sometimes you lose battles (with a K:D ratio of about 3:1) but as your banners replenish super quick, you have time to go back and kill them anyway. The first war is the hardest. Second and third, a pushover. In my last war they were also at war with Assam and Mong Yang and lost most of their troops there.

Having tributaried Liang, Shun, Mongolia and Oirat, next war I'm taking the mandate and Qing it up.

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 23, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I'm going for a photo finish on my Third Way run. I've run into something I didn't anticipate. The Ottomans colonized all of Australia. However, a CN formed. All the provinces are Sunni. The CN doesn't have humanist or religious, but it does have a national idea that gives them +2% missionary strength. I don't know if it will be enough. How do I go about making sure those provinces are Ibadi in time?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Node posted:

I'm going for a photo finish on my Third Way run. I've run into something I didn't anticipate. The Ottomans colonized all of Australia. However, a CN formed. All the provinces are Sunni. The CN doesn't have humanist or religious, but it does have a national idea that gives them +2% missionary strength. I don't know if it will be enough. How do I go about making sure those provinces are Ibadi in time?

How much time do you have? Do you have any territory in Australia?
Take all the territory and convert it yourself before coring it and creating a CN for yourself?

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
If you want to be sure to get the achievement, do whatever shenanigans you need to do to declare war on that CN like right now, full annex it with Imperialism, and don't core those provinces. Just convert.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I would also be super worried about the Ottomans popping out another colony somewhere, or perhaps living in exile?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

thatdarnedbob posted:

If you want to be sure to get the achievement, do whatever shenanigans you need to do to declare war on that CN like right now, full annex it with Imperialism, and don't core those provinces. Just convert.
Yeah if you dont core them they wont form your own colonial nation which will allow you to convert them directly.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Thanks, that's what I'm going to do. 40 years left. I think I might be able to pull Third Way + Dar al Islam off in one game. This is almost as good as my Re-reconquista game if so.

I swear, if the Ottomans managed to colonize one province in some backwards new world area I don't have maps for, and leave one Sunni province there, I will rip my own spine out. Is there any way at all to check if a religion exists, and how many provinces it has?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Node posted:

Thanks, that's what I'm going to do. 40 years left. I think I might be able to pull Third Way + Dar al Islam off in one game. This is almost as good as my Re-reconquista game if so.

I swear, if the Ottomans managed to colonize one province in some backwards new world area I don't have maps for, and leave one Sunni province there, I will rip my own spine out. Is there any way at all to check if a religion exists, and how many provinces it has?

I am *fairly* sure the ledger has a religions tab. Sometimes you can cheat a bit with the map modes too and see into TI. I would make sure all known Sunni countries are out, that should be easy enough to check.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

skasion posted:

Theatrum Orbis Terrarum is my favorite. Basically modular set of cosmetic changes to make the game look more like rear end.

ftfy

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I think the base game looks slick. CK2 is a nightmare.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

:hellyeah:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

:staredog: Niiiiiice. That is one of the achievements that I really stubbornly want to do despite the difficulty. Any tips on getting Kaffa off the ground/beating Ethiopia for ascendancy in the Horn?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Ally Ethiopia and beat them to all their offensive wars until the rival you.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Ideas Guy achieved, not that it's a hard one to get.

gently caress Ming. Also I waited until the very end to bother conquering the other island nations, and ended up racking up so much AE that the resulting coalition war included pretty much everyone I didn't have a peace treaty with. Frankly I'm a little shocked I didn't get the million casualty cheev from all the dumb transports I swatted into the sea. Poor Benin, they tried so hard compared to France, who just sent a single fleet and then gave up.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Why do marches delete forts you paid for and built in their provinces? Is it an issue of they can't afford the maintenance (already subsidized them more than it cost, but can increase it) or do they want the building slots free in their lovely mountain wool 3/3/2 province that's literally worthless except as a fort chokepoint? :v:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Azuren posted:

Why do marches delete forts you paid for and built in their provinces? Is it an issue of they can't afford the maintenance (already subsidized them more than it cost, but can increase it) or do they want the building slots free in their lovely mountain wool 3/3/2 province that's literally worthless except as a fort chokepoint? :v:

Forts you build for them via the vassal interaction menu already have their maintenance paid for by you, so it's literally free for them. Yet they'll still delete those forts. My guess is that they don't actually realize that they aren't paying maintenance on them, and then delete them to get rid of an "unnecessary" expenditure. Meanwhile, they're deleting their heavily defended mountain forts, and keeping their lovely-rear end plains forts, because... ???

It's pretty frustrating, and makes Marches a lot less useful than they should be. This bug has existed for a while, too.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
There are 8 Sunni provinces left on the globe. I can only find 7. How the gently caress do I find this last one? Believe me, I have meticulously searched every single region in the world, especially Oceania. The ledger shows they only belong to the Ottomans and their vassal. All colonies that were Sunni are Ibadi. I have ten more years left to do this.

Node fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 24, 2017

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Have you tried Alaska and the North American Pacific Coast? Indian Sunni countries have a tendency to get Exploration late in the game and jettison off space colonies over there. My Ottoman's game had that..

Sage Grimm posted:

I had Behmanis hit Genoa's numbers of debt from Tsyni's screenshot. Which I then paid off in hopes they would religious convert its sole 3 colonies in Alaska and the tail of Mexico from Shia to Sunni for me in the ~3 years left before completion. Sadly religous unification was not to be and if I were a smarter man I would've figured out how they were hiding those last bastions from me before it was too late.
Another location is deep in the heart of Africa.

EDIT: If it's Ottomans I imagine Africa needs to be investigated.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 24, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Sage Grimm posted:

Have you tried Alaska and the North American Pacific Coast? Indian Sunni countries have a tendency to get Exploration late in the game and jettison off space colonies over there. My Ottoman's game had that..

Another location is deep in the heart of Africa.

I've got control over Africa. The Ottomans don't appear to have taken anything in the new world.

I just truce-broke and checked every single province they own on the peace deal screen. They do not have an eighth Sunni province. According to the ledger, they and their one province vassal are the only Sunni nations left. Is the game bugged? This is heartbreaking.

Node fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 24, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've seen the Ottomans colonize tiny island chains in the Pacific. You are not able to see that when zoomed out so you have to get right up close and thoroughly scan that entire part of the world. :shepicide:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Node posted:

I've got control over Africa. The Ottomans don't appear to have taken anything in the new world.

I just truce-broke and checked every single province they own on the peace deal screen. They do not have an eighth Sunni province. According to the ledger, they and their one province vassal are the only Sunni nations left. Is the game bugged? This is heartbreaking.

At your point, I would make a copy of the game, rename it, and open it up and check the guts somehow. Maybe a modding expert could help. Or upload it and all us goons can help look!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Is it possible they started colonizing a province, the religion changed, then they lost the colony but religion stayed? I don't remember all the changes to the colonization mechanics that have taken place.

• Locked thread