Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

How you draft is you slam pick gul'dan if your team hesitates for five seconds, or you ban him if your team has second pick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Always Be QMing

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I'm glad I enjoy playing Support and Tank. It makes it easier for everyone else to be their favorite deeps.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

This is stupid. If you get to pick 5 and you had Nova instalocked but we need a healer you're a loving rear end in a top hat if you pick Nova.

Fine, but if you picked an assassin yourself you don't get to complain about it. You knew there was a good chance that could happen, you presumably asked him if he would flex and he either said no or didn't answer, and you took your shot anyway because you really really wanted to play assassin and figured he had to choice buy to switch. Good for you. Now you get to suck it up and deal with it, not be a stereotypical toxic rear end in a top hat whining about other people's picks.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Gustav posted:

Fine, but if you picked an assassin yourself you don't get to complain about it. You knew there was a good chance that could happen, you presumably asked him if he would flex and he either said no or didn't answer, and you took your shot anyway because you really really wanted to play assassin and figured he had to choice buy to switch. Good for you. Now you get to suck it up and deal with it, not be a stereotypical toxic rear end in a top hat whining about other people's picks.

LOL the fifth pick instalocking Nova would be the toxic rear end in a top hat in this scenario.

Like I might agree with you if QM didn't exist, a format where that player could play Nova in EVERY GAME

Hail Mr. Satan! fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 24, 2017

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

PureRok posted:

I'm glad I enjoy playing Support and Tank. It makes it easier for everyone else to be their favorite deeps.

Pretty much. I stick almost exclusively to tanks/supports that have hard carry potential because I can't trust other people to pick them and I expect everyone else on my team to suck really bad.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

quote:

QM comps suck and unranked draft/HL pick order clusterfucks

Oh hey hello, it's me. The guy that can't stop gobbling cocks and espousing the benefits of Team League. Come enjoy reasonable comps and 90% fewer pick order entitled morons.

Renegret posted:

I've over hero level 100 and I haven't touched any sort of draft mode because I no idea how to effectively draft in this game.

I just realized that it doesn't loving matter, people are idiots, and if I'm given the bans I'm going to slam in Valeera and Nova every time because they're incredibly unfun to play against, thus making the world a better place.

I guess I'll do my placements after work or something.

Ask for TL in SAGoons and you'll get some cool froods who can walk you through it. Just let them know you're new to drafting and they'll build a team around your preference, or decide which of your comfort picks would help vs the enemy team.

Also, watch Grubby on Youtube. Most of his videos start with ~4 min of talking about the draft. Some of their picks work way better at a high skill level (e.g. Medivh) but most of them will translate. Plus the videos are chill.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
In my opinion if you want to carry games pick a tank. Like if you Diablo well you can just serve picks up for your crap assassins to kill, they'll be unable to resist it when you charge someone into their kill range. You gotta realise that instalock assassins will kill people if you make that kill something they cannot gently caress up.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Picking support just means it will take longer for your bad team to lose

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Not even remotely true. Supports do more than just heal you know.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

I'm aware of that, but tank lets you control a fight more. If we're in a draft situation that's going to be much more useful to you than a support plus you can build for regen for sustain, peel for your underappreciated support and generally give your assassins irresistable targets.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I just need to find some way to get the gently caress out of silver. It is a wasteland. I'm so bad at this game and I'm not sure why.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Support pick Kharazim and late game punch the ever loving poo poo out of every person and every structure while healing in an AOE every 2 seconds

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

beejay posted:

I just need to find some way to get the gently caress out of silver. It is a wasteland. I'm so bad at this game and I'm not sure why.

Always be soaking

Silver is about learning not to die, because if you're dead you can't be soaking

Put it another way: in silver, you can hit tab and tell who the best player is by their XP numbers

This generally also means OP push bullies are the easiest way to climb out if you can play them, currently these would be Nazeebo and Azmodan

But really just learn to not die and soak, you can work on other stuff sure; your goal is end the game with top soak and 0 deaths, get as close to this as possible every game

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
It's a crime that Kharazim only gets a quest on the mana punch. Adding a self heal reward and an chain to non-heroic reward to the other 2 should be a no-brainer slam dunk.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Diablo really needs a strong healer though and probably burst assassins you can't just drop him into team

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

thechalkoutline posted:

This generally also means OP push bullies are the easiest way to climb out if you can play them, currently these would be Nazeebo and Azmodan

Also, Zagara.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Probius is silly good at low elo because people will flat out walk past your pylons and ignore them, then be stunned when you catch them in a pylon ult/canno box.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Yeah there's definitely things I can work on, but I feel like soaking and not dying I have down most of the time. I just get hung up on individual instances and it tilts the gently caress out of me. For example last night, my team was down 3 levels, 11-8. I look at xp, I'm highest with about 3000 ish. Our Arthas had 292. Two hundred and ninety two. I don't even know how that's possible. At the end of the game our highest had about 9000 and he was at 2500. Then I got him in my next game and he died 10 times as Dehaka. Then I kept playing even though I was mad and ended up losing 6 games in a row.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Also, Zagara.

Downside being that if your team is really that bad, all you'll be able to do with Azmo/Zagara is stall the game out by pushing all lanes and stoppinga loss. You might get lucky and win a team fight at 31 minutes, but you can only carry so hard. Falstad is also a great hard carry if you know how to set up big plays or steal bosses with Gust.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I mean some games you just can't help. I've had games with heroes that have actual 0 siege damage by the end. But you will win the majority of games if you personally are good.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kashuno posted:

Probius is silly good at low elo because people will flat out walk past your pylons and ignore them, then be stunned when you catch them in a pylon ult/canno box.

Don't tell low ELO people to Probius. If they are low ELO, they probably don't have the mechanics to play him.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

beejay posted:

Post a replay.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

beejay posted:

Yeah there's definitely things I can work on, but I feel like soaking and not dying I have down most of the time. I just get hung up on individual instances and it tilts the gently caress out of me. For example last night, my team was down 3 levels, 11-8. I look at xp, I'm highest with about 3000 ish. Our Arthas had 292. Two hundred and ninety two. I don't even know how that's possible. At the end of the game our highest had about 9000 and he was at 2500. Then I got him in my next game and he died 10 times as Dehaka. Then I kept playing even though I was mad and ended up losing 6 games in a row.

Definitely take a break if you're on a losing streak. I don't know anyone that favors playing through it

It's fine to lose games where you are top soak and 0 deaths, the fact is if you keep playing this way you will get to gold.

Your example reinforces the point I'm trying to make: the 3 level advantage you describe (early game to boot) is why you got rolled, and it's the scenario you're trying to set up for your team in every game

Silver is really all about level advantage, because mechanics are so poor.

(And yes post a replay)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Is Chen any good? He seems fun but I was browsing reddit (there aren't enough Heroes threads here!) and people seem to be of the opinion that the current meta has pushed him out of viability. I tried him out a few times but got my rear end kicked, then watched a YouTube and realized I should have been drinking WAY more than I was.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

beejay posted:

Last night I was the banner and 2nd pick in ranked. Everyone on my team highlights an assassin instantly when they are able of course. I picked an assassin/bruiser and a guy on my team is like "wow dude we needed a healer" and other people chime in "what a dick" "way to be a team player." This actually happens a lot. Apparently draft is a race to see who highlights something last and then they have to be the healer. Build around that 4/5 pick Zeratul and Illidan. Seems legit.

edit: oops this is more of a whine. Whatever.

Just pick a support and then out-DPS multiple assassins on your team while also healing. This is what I usually do.

Also automatically silences any poo poo talk they try to perpetrate whenever the match goes sour.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

Is Chen any good? He seems fun but I was browsing reddit (there aren't enough Heroes threads here!) and people seem to be of the opinion that the current meta has pushed him out of viability. I tried him out a few times but got my rear end kicked, then watched a YouTube and realized I should have been drinking WAY more than I was.

If you're talking high mmr HL meta, he is not a desirable option no. He's perfectly fine in say, gold

Chen is hard countered by low cd stuns that can take him out of his drink, eg Muradin, and is a unstoppable god if the other team has drafted no stuns. Because of this Chen can really only be drafted late, ideally last and assuming they're dumb enough to have no stuns (this doesn't happen often at high mmr)

In QM what happens is either you get matched with a team that can stun you, or you don't, and it goes as described above

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

Play Chen in draft formats as a late pick against teams without stuns. Alarak will eat Chen alive. When Chen is a viable pick you pretty much drink to full (or drink for the entire duration if your opponents are actually attacking you and not making a dent in your hp), kick their squishy and unload keg and fire, and drink again. Rinse and repeat every team fight. The only times you don't really want to drink constantly is when you're chasing someone down and need to body them after a kick.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Thanks for the tips. If I'm not actively under attack do I just drink for the energy and ignore trying to build the hp shield? It seems to go away too fast to be helpful.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Tender Bender posted:

Thanks for the tips. If I'm not actively under attack do I just drink for the energy and ignore trying to build the hp shield? It seems to go away too fast to be helpful.

The shield is for when you're getting smacked in the moment. Drinking is useless if you don't need Brew and you're not getting hit.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
When it comes to drafting I was pointed to this: http://thedrafterhots.com.

I've never actually used it for real drafting because all I do is QM, but maybe it'd be useful.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

PureRok posted:

When it comes to drafting I was pointed to this: http://thedrafterhots.com.

I've never actually used it for real drafting because all I do is QM, but maybe it'd be useful.

It's really sketchy. I gave it a first pick illidan, and its next 2 picks were zarya and malf, and I don't think double manaless into malf is a great plan (also, it finished with Greymane and Probius, so your protect-the Illidan comp isn't great and you have dick for hard cc).

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

That's pretty slick

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Poultron posted:

b-b-b-but player levels don't matter

I'm 1182 and Diamond 4/Platinum 1 in Hero League and I have literally never been matched with anyone within 400 levels of me when solo Q'ing.

I pretty consistently end up with 4 people in the 200-350 level range.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 24, 2017

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Toshimo posted:

It's really sketchy. I gave it a first pick illidan, and its next 2 picks were zarya and malf, and I don't think double manaless into malf is a great plan (also, it finished with Greymane and Probius, so your protect-the Illidan comp isn't great and you have dick for hard cc).

But what if you want from LAST pick?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The shield is for when you're getting smacked in the moment. Drinking is useless if you don't need Brew and you're not getting hit.

And if you're not getting hit, go find something to get hit by. Depending on the situation, you can over extend and soak tower shots with drink or at least tank a minion wave in Chen's version of pushing.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

But what if you want from LAST pick?

Wat

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Also it's probably not true but Chen feels like he has the fattest rear end in the game, so he can block escapes like a champ with his kick

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I think that honor goes to Azmodan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Also it's probably not true but Chen feels like he has the fattest rear end in the game, so he can block escapes like a champ with his kick

D.va mech form doing this is the best feeling