Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

God, there are some days where I just really start to hate old people. They're often slow, don't know what they're talking about or even what they're looking for but they still want to be super condescending to the associates to help them.

Towards the end of the day I had some old guy angrily asking why we stocked such useless light bulbs as 40 and 60 watters since they put out so little light and it took more than I expected to not just tell him that not everybody is as blind as he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Well while I'm still in the septic tank that is retail, I think I may of managed to hold my head ever so slightly above the poo poo. I'm going to be switched to a 2 am to 10 am shift. I'll be handling our load, so I'll be in the back of the store the majority of the shift. Sure it sucks having to adopt that kind of sleeping schedule but I'm a goony nerd so I don't have any irl commitments. Upsides? No customers, and more importantly no secret shoppers. The secret shoppers never, in the entire time I've worked here, every come earlier then 4pm. That is my 2 biggest gripes, and in fact may be all of my gripes about work. Customers piss me off when they come in I WANT THE FRESHER FROM THE BACK and the store director riding my rear end about getting a horrible 80% on the secret shopper. Oh but its ok, if I can get at least a 90 then its all good (note it is literally impossible to get a 90, either you get 100 or an 80 or less)

No more, don't have to deal with it. Also as I was robbed a few months back I'm still paranoid, this schedule will ensure there is always someone in the house should that happen again.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Well I just got paid $12.15 an hour to pretty much do nothing but answer the phone 4 times and ring out 20 customers over the course of 5 hours.

And I only have to work 2 hours tomorrow.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Garrand posted:

God, there are some days where I just really start to hate old people. They're often slow, don't know what they're talking about or even what they're looking for but they still want to be super condescending to the associates to help them.

Towards the end of the day I had some old guy angrily asking why we stocked such useless light bulbs as 40 and 60 watters since they put out so little light and it took more than I expected to not just tell him that not everybody is as blind as he is.

I was running out of patience for old people, and then a few weeks ago the most magical thing happened: an old woman was shuffling through the main drag of my department and she stopped to browse the peaches and nectarines, but before she got too involved in fruit she actually looked around and, seeing me pulling a pallet of strawberries, moved her cart out of my way.

Boomer women continue to be the bane of my existence. I genuinely don't care if you dig through my displays for fresher stuff, hell I'm pretty sure first shift stocked from the new load and left me back stock to put on top, but for fucks sake at least refrain from dropping cases of good product on the floor in front of the table

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

cephalopods posted:

I was running out of patience for old people, and then a few weeks ago the most magical thing happened: an old woman was shuffling through the main drag of my department and she stopped to browse the peaches and nectarines, but before she got too involved in fruit she actually looked around and, seeing me pulling a pallet of strawberries, moved her cart out of my way.

Boomer women continue to be the bane of my existence. I genuinely don't care if you dig through my displays for fresher stuff, hell I'm pretty sure first shift stocked from the new load and left me back stock to put on top, but for fucks sake at least refrain from dropping cases of good product on the floor in front of the table

I got to watch something fun today. The produce guy brought out a rocket cart with a bunch of stuff. A customer asked him where the apples are and as soon as he stepped away this lady starts pulling boxes off to get at the "fresh ones".

She didnt even just set them down either. She was tossing them and managed to get most a few feet or so away from the cart right into the main grocery walk way.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Just remembered, I'm 95% sure I failed a mystery shop the other day. Lady walks up to me and says "I'm colorblind, can you show me the yellow tomatoes?"

We were only like 6 feet away from the tomatoes at the time. I gave her the right ones but I was so distracted thinking "How could you have such an ultra-rare variant of colorblindness AND be illiterate and still survive to middle age?" that I never thanked her for shopping at our store or wished her a good day.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

cephalopods posted:

Just remembered, I'm 95% sure I failed a mystery shop the other day. Lady walks up to me and says "I'm colorblind, can you show me the yellow tomatoes?"

We were only like 6 feet away from the tomatoes at the time. I gave her the right ones but I was so distracted thinking "How could you have such an ultra-rare variant of colorblindness AND be illiterate and still survive to middle age?" that I never thanked her for shopping at our store or wished her a good day.

Sounds like you also forgot to try and upsale!

Kickshaw
Sep 6, 2012
Sprained my ankle on my way to work yesterday and have to stay off it through Monday. So I'm missing inventory and have to use all my pto hours to keep my check from sucking.

Oh, and I spent $150 on copays and crutches, and am expecting a bill for the xrays, because my insurance doesn't kick in until I pay the $1500 deductible. :sigh:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I swear the minute it gets slightly cold every customer decides to try out their best unabomber costume.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Zenithe posted:

I swear the minute it gets slightly cold every customer decides to try out their best unabomber costume.

What do you mean exactly? Hoodie and sunglasses?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Inventory starts this week. Yay. It takes days to get the whole store ready for inventory ( mostly by pushing everything back so it can be counted quickly ), and I was slated to do my section over the next four shifts while doing my usual duties. I ran my truck, racked all the new items I haven't gotten to yet, and completely finished my department in a single shift.

Can't wait to see how this whips around and smacks me in the nuts because of course it will.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Inventory starts this week. Yay. It takes days to get the whole store ready for inventory ( mostly by pushing everything back so it can be counted quickly ), and I was slated to do my section over the next four shifts while doing my usual duties. I ran my truck, racked all the new items I haven't gotten to yet, and completely finished my department in a single shift.

Can't wait to see how this whips around and smacks me in the nuts because of course it will.

"Hey Nerd, can you help Departments x, y, AND z do their inventory prep?"

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

When I worked retail I never really minded inventory. I was management and my boss would let me work 8pm-4am for three or four days to get all our ducks in order.

Yeah my sleep schedule went to hell but I got to work in sweatpants and there were no customers.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Non Serviam posted:

What do you mean exactly? Hoodie and sunglasses?

Basically, with track pants and sneakers. I start work after sunset so I doubt it's even safe to drive in sunnies.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Beastie posted:

When I worked retail I never really minded inventory. I was management and my boss would let me work 8pm-4am for three or four days to get all our ducks in order.

Yeah my sleep schedule went to hell but I got to work in sweatpants and there were no customers.

My favorite day is Friday because I come in 2 hours before we open to unload the truck and I just work in my bike shorts and t-shirt.

Anyway, today I had a special customer. She comes in asking for rat poison so I take her to my mouse trap section. But wait! She doesn't want to buy a whole bunch because all she's trying to do is poison the dog next door who keeps pooping in her yard! I try to get her to buy the animal repellent but she doesn't bite. "I mean, I don't want to kill it I just want to make it sick" She grabs some stuff and checks out. I pull her receipt and get the information I can off of it and call the cops. I hope that dog is okay.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Zenithe posted:

Basically, with track pants and sneakers. I start work after sunset so I doubt it's even safe to drive in sunnies.

Maybe they all just really like Corey Hart.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
What's wrong with wearing track pants and sneakers?

I have customers who wander in barefoot with only a pair of boxer shorts.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

What's wrong with wearing track pants and sneakers?

I have customers who wander in barefoot with only a pair of boxer shorts.

Me too. It's people dressing really obviously suspicious when they are just going around doing stuff (hoodie and sunnies at night)

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Garrand posted:

Anyway, today I had a special customer. She comes in asking for rat poison so I take her to my mouse trap section. But wait! She doesn't want to buy a whole bunch because all she's trying to do is poison the dog next door who keeps pooping in her yard! I try to get her to buy the animal repellent but she doesn't bite. "I mean, I don't want to kill it I just want to make it sick" She grabs some stuff and checks out. I pull her receipt and get the information I can off of it and call the cops. I hope that dog is okay.

:ohdear: Thank you for warning them about her. Poor dog :(

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Faerunner posted:

"Hey Nerd, can you help Departments x, y, AND z do their inventory prep?"

I won't have time, thank God. I've got a truck most of the days leading into inventory, and I've still got to organize my freezer. I'm so loving glad that I seem to be scheduled off the day after, when everything has to be pulled forward again. On the upshot, I've never had quite so many hours in a single week outside of a holiday. It's almost like I have a full-time job... almost.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Garrand posted:

My favorite day is Friday because I come in 2 hours before we open to unload the truck and I just work in my bike shorts and t-shirt.

:staredog: what in the hell

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

I love the customers that come in 5 minutes before close that need 50 copies of a presentation printed and bound RIGHT NOW.

Sorry buddy, you'll have to wait until 10:30am at the earliest. Because while it will take me all of 10 minutes to print it out, it will take me another 3 minutes, per presentation, to bind them. And I still have to shut off the laminator, empty the trash, restock the paper in the self-serve machines, print out the online orders for tomorrow's production queue, make sure I shut off the laminators (we've had fires at multiple stores because people have forgotten to do this, so I loving double check), and write notes for the openers before I can leave. Which I am scheduled to do 30 minutes after close. And the openers come in at 8am.

Sorry you have to have this in Boston (20 miles away) by 9am.

poo poo planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Kilonum posted:

I love the customers that come in 5 minutes before close that need 50 copies of a presentation printed and bound RIGHT NOW.

Sorry buddy, you'll have to wait until 10:30am at the earliest. Because while it will take me all of 10 minutes to print it out, it will take me another 3 minutes, per presentation, to bind them. And I still have to shut off the laminator, empty the trash, restock the paper in the self-serve machines, print out the online orders for tomorrow's production queue, make sure I shut off the laminators (we've had fires at multiple stores because people have forgotten to do this, so I loving double check), and write notes for the openers before I can leave. Which I am scheduled to do 30 minutes after close. And the openers come in at 8am.

Sorry you have to have this in Boston (20 miles away) by 9am.

poo poo planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

"I was here before closing, though! Your policy says you have to serve me still!"

I'll never understand customers like this. I mean, yeah, if you want a bound copy, sure. But even 5 would be asking a lot so close to closing, much less 50. I had customers at the deli I used to work at come up at, like, 9:59 when we close at 10. We'd say "So long as you don't need much.", and of course they'd say "No, just a half pound of [whatever]". Then when that was done, they'd say just one more thing. And then one more. And then another one more. And then you end up slicing 6 pounds total of 8 different things, and end up starting the cleaning 20-30 minutes later than you should've. It's infuriating, and I do everything in my power to not go into places within, like, 15 minutes of closing for exactly this reason.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Oh man, some poor bastard vacuumed up his wedding ring.

:rip:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

SpacePig posted:

"I was here before closing, though! Your policy says you have to serve me still!"

Our computer actually will not let us take rush orders (aka, 1 hour guaruntee, and the computer knows how long it takes us to do poo poo) after 7:30pm. We close at 9pm.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Kilonum posted:

Our computer actually will not let us take rush orders (aka, 1 hour guaruntee, and the computer knows how long it takes us to do poo poo) after 7:30pm. We close at 9pm.

That's actually a pretty nice policy. I hope you have it hanging on a wall somewhere that you can just point at it and clear your throat.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
As soon as it hits 8:30 i've stopped getting paid. So you'd better be real fuckin friendly if I'm going to do literally anything for you.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Schneider Inside Her posted:

As soon as it hits 8:30 i've stopped getting paid. So you'd better be real fuckin friendly if I'm going to do literally anything for you.
I am continually amazed at how few people know this amazing life hack known as "don't be a piece of poo poo." I get free stuff/stuff I shouldn't get all the time from retail places I regularly go to because I am friendly and polite. It's never anything huge, but finding out that the subway I go to ordered an extra truck of meat for the sandwich I like just before it got discontinued just for me is really cool.

Long Wang
Aug 28, 2006

Not retail, call centre. After speaking to thousands of customers who could be anyone with any kind of personality, the most soul destroying interactions was probably with people who I worked with, supposed colleagues that apparently saw front-line staff as inferior.

One example is, some woman from head office sent an email to 'Customer Service' saying a customer had emailed her with an issue and could it be sorted. It was sent to some mailing group, wasn't my job to deal with it (it's the kind of place where you just did your job and I didn't know if someone else would pick it up). A week later she sent an email saying how shocked she was that a week had gone by and nothing had been done.

I figured she was just picking an email group that probably looked like the right one, so I thought, I'll bend the rules and work over unpaid for an hour figuring out who would pick it up, make sure it got sorted and let her know. I did just that feeling like I'd gone above and beyond to help someone out and that would be appreciated.

I didn't get a response so not long after I just followed up with "You're welcome." She replied to that telling me I didn't deserve a thank you because it had taken me so long for anything to be done (not my job so how should I know), I should get the mailing group sorted (I don't work in IT) and then she CCed me into another related email ending with "Many thanks".

I just don't get how someone would react to someone going out of their way to help them with such a nasty ungrateful response.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Yawgmoth posted:

I am continually amazed at how few people know this amazing life hack known as "don't be a piece of poo poo." I get free stuff/stuff I shouldn't get all the time from retail places I regularly go to because I am friendly and polite. It's never anything huge, but finding out that the subway I go to ordered an extra truck of meat for the sandwich I like just before it got discontinued just for me is really cool.

Yup. People really hone in on "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" and decide to bitch and moan about everything, which is such an exhausting way to live I genuinely don't understand, barring presence of a mental illness or severe stressor in your life, how a person can behave that way day in and day out. Being nice takes literally no effort and has the benefit of people actually being glad to see you, helping you hate yourself slightly less

edit: Long Wang your story made me sneer instinctively. Your good karma for helping the ungrateful lady is yet to come :)

sweeperbravo fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 24, 2017

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Yawgmoth posted:

If a restaurant orders and extra truck of meat just for you, they might simply be afraid you'd eat them.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

sweeperbravo posted:

how a person can behave that way day in and day out.

lovely parenting. If a person gets to be a certain age without ever having some kind of growth or self-questioning, they're basically a lovely person until they're dead.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Just as good service can help get happier and more loyal customers, being a good customer can help get happier and more loyal servers. I wish more people understood this.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

SpacePig posted:

I'll never understand customers like this. I mean, yeah, if you want a bound copy, sure. But even 5 would be asking a lot so close to closing, much less 50. I had customers at the deli I used to work at come up at, like, 9:59 when we close at 10. We'd say "So long as you don't need much.", and of course they'd say "No, just a half pound of [whatever]". Then when that was done, they'd say just one more thing. And then one more. And then another one more. And then you end up slicing 6 pounds total of 8 different things, and end up starting the cleaning 20-30 minutes later than you should've. It's infuriating, and I do everything in my power to not go into places within, like, 15 minutes of closing for exactly this reason.

Last minute customers are the worst. If you are in the store past closing time I automatically hate you, and you have to do something pretty great for that to change. We're open for 9 hours every day. Why would you think that's okay?

I think people who've never worked a retail job have trouble understanding that registers get closed down every day. No, I can't just run one thing for you, the register is closed and all the money is out of it. I can't do anything until the morning! :frogout:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

"If you're open to X time you should have to serve customers to that time, close earlier if you don't like it!" - says clueless person with no empathy.

Like I see that sort of comment any time this comes up elsewhere. The logic escapes me. Sure, I get "oh those are the store hours, they should be valid to the last minute" but almost no-one would accept being kicked out the second the clock ticks over. Most people want to treat closing time like "as long as you're in before it" rather then "be done by this time."

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
It's a mentality I will never understand, but didn't truly come to understand in the first place until I started working a place with a dedicated closing time. Before, I worked in a 24 hour convenience store, so it wasn't closing, it was just the end of 2nd shift. Someone coming in at 10:55 didn't really matter, because I was out at 11 regardless. I think a lot of people get a bit spoiled by 24 hour stores, and are just shocked when something doesn't stay open past, say, 9PM.

It could also be that people have never worked something like a closing shift before. I have a friend who works in the cash office of a retail store, and even he doesn't really see the problem with going places 5 minutes to closing, even though his own place closes at 9. I think it's because he works mornings.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

One of my previous jobs had a deli counter that we closed an hour before the store closed. It was glorious because we had signs everywhere saying so

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

creatine posted:

One of my previous jobs had a deli counter that we closed an hour before the store closed. It was glorious because we had signs everywhere saying so

I worked in a grocery deli that closed at 10, with signs stating as much, while the rest of the store was 24 hours. We would have every case light out, with 2 people in the entire section, both actively cleaning machines, and people would still come up at 10:15 angry that we wouldn't reassemble and dirty our slicers for their order. In a way, it was satisfying to turn them away each time. In another, it was frustrating the occasional time they'd go to the store manager, have them come back to the deli and force us to slice their poo poo and clean the whole drat machine again. Those were the orders that got done lazily and not to order.

Had a guy once order a pound of CHIPPED CHEESE with, like, 2 minutes to go. Chipping meat is a chore, chipping cheese was a loving strenuous upper-body workout. Needless to say, he got basically a pile of shredded cheese with barely any full slices. He came closer to 9 from then on.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I too work at a grocery deli and while I haven't been there long enough to get too many people who are aggravating at night (Deli closes at 9PM usually, store at 11PM) I once had someone come in at 9:10 when I was leaving the store, bugging the cashiers to page someone to deli. Lights off, case items covered up, slicers off and put up and away, no one around.... Yes they must just be in the back doing garbage lets bug the cashiers and wait around for 10 more minutes because we need ham.

Though what I find worse is the e-commerce people, they cut 900g of premium meat, forgot it out all night long and didn't clean up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

SpacePig posted:

Before, I worked in a 24 hour convenience store, so it wasn't closing, it was just the end of 2nd shift. Someone coming in at 10:55 didn't really matter, because I was out at 11 regardless. I think a lot of people get a bit spoiled by 24 hour stores, and are just shocked when something doesn't stay open past, say, 9PM.

I've found expectations for 24 hour places are pretty wild sometimes too. Most regular customers between like 10PM and 5AM are all sorted and know how the place works, but then you get randos walking in in that time and getting huffy that we can't swap their fifty or hundred dollar bills, or want people to go outside to fix something that needs attention.

I'm sure a lot of the people just never worked in retail, just like anyone walking into a restaurant at 9:30 at night has never worked in a restaurant.