Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Xtanstic posted:

The one thing that stands in the way of Toronto being better than Montreal for the next 10 years is if Dubas leaves before he can lock up the core and jettison the overvalued players. Please Avs.

There is zero chance Toronto aren't 2 years away from being better than the Habs for a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

yellowcar posted:

Then again, Bergevin is still around and employed.... :suicide:

It still blows my dumb little DukeMind™ that, as we watch the Preds head into the SCF, that man is still currently employed by the Habs.

It is to :lol:

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Duke Chin posted:

It still blows my dumb little DukeMind™ that, as we watch the Preds head into the SCF, that man is still currently employed by the Habs.

It is to :lol:

This next year is almost certainly his last one.
The year just passed was a "all-in" year - that much was obvious when they traded PK for Shea - that got sidetracked and postponed after Therrien got fired.
This next year is it. If he can't make it happen, he's gone. And since the Habs are... a scoring center, Radulov and top quality puck moving D away from being "an actual thing", he's done.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Schlesische posted:

This next year is almost certainly his last one.
The year just passed was a "all-in" year - that much was obvious when they traded PK for Shea - that got sidetracked and postponed after Therrien got fired.
This next year is it. If he can't make it happen, he's gone. And since the Habs are... a scoring center, Radulov and top quality puck moving D away from being "an actual thing", he's done.

I think the Habs are still lacking a lot "to be an actual thing". Ever since Bergevin took over they've been poo poo at drafting and poo poo at development. Short of a complete rebuild, they need to change all of the loving management. They're still stuck in that stupid rear end old boys' club mentality where you have to "earn" a spot on the roster. They basically set up their young prospects to fail every single time because they would be put on the 4th line with grinders and be a fixture for 5 min a night. And if they try to actually drive the offence and make plays and scoring chances, they'd be press-boxed immediately by Therrien. I'm envious of teams like the Pens when it comes to young players because they actually put them in situations to thrive and succeed.

Bergevin and his perfectly smooth brain needs to get the gently caress out and Old Hockey needs to die.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Aye Doc posted:

now that we're getting this whole stanley cup thing out of the way, we can get to the real championship of the SAS season - the fantasy hockey draft!!! here is the 2016 version so people can get an idea of what it's like. unless there's someone else who'd like to take charge, I'll put up a thread near the end of the finals. who's gonna be coming back for 2017?

i missed 2016 but ill do 2017

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Oh boy, I just read this: http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2017...brothers-sweden

I've been a fan of Joel Lundqvist since his days in Dallas, and I'm glad he found success back with Frolunda as they're clearly the best team in Europe the last few years. With that said, what a terrible idea. I think the crux of the matter is we've been so spoiled having Henrik in net the last 12 years, and now we're starting to realize the grim future if he declines.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Loqieu posted:

I've been a fan of Joel Lundqvist since his days in Dallas, and I'm glad he found success back with Frolunda as they're clearly the best team in Europe the last few years. With that said, what a terrible idea. I think the crux of the matter is we've been so spoiled having Henrik in net the last 12 years, and now we're starting to realize the grim future if he declines.

The Rangers still have one of the best farm systems in the league right now.
If things are bleak, it's for one or two years before all that talent clicks into their prime.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah the Rangers have like the best goalie prospect in the NHL (or maybe the 2nd best, I think Saros is the absolute truth), their future in net is fine.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Related, Russian Machine Never Breaks wrote up a story about the twins' background and how they got to where they are.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I've always liked that Henrik Lundqvist was named of People Magazine's most beautiful people, while Joel his identical twin was not.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/NicholsOnHockey/status/867396730702118912

hockey guys are so rarely good and smart

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

hockey guys are so rarely good and smart

Or a couple of GMs with no interest in signing Fowler are looking to artificially drive his price up through the press to damage other teams.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/omarcanuck/status/867408138445570048

rip beautiful russian giant
отдых в мир прекрасного российского гиганта

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Josi, Ekholm, and Ellis being signed for the next 2 years at combined $10.25m is looking pretty cool.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
So outside of Minnesota and Anaheim, who else looks like they're probably going to get screwed by the expansion draft? The Islanders look like they're in pretty rough shape too I guess

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

whatis posted:

So outside of Minnesota and Anaheim, who else looks like they're probably going to get screwed by the expansion draft? The Islanders look like they're in pretty rough shape too I guess

The Islanders are in a perpetual state of rough shape.

Their arena sucks, they only have 3 players on their team with NMCs and have to resign 13 players next year.

They're going to be 30th next year giving away players for draft picks at the trade deadline.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/ArizonaCoyotes/status/867440059036737537

:unsmith:

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

whatis posted:

Well Pittsburgh's about to lose Murray, so I'd throw them in.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Loqieu posted:

this article is so loving bad lmao

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Schlesische posted:

The Rangers still have one of the best farm systems in the league right now.
If things are bleak, it's for one or two years before all that talent clicks into their prime.

is this a joke. because the rangers' farm system is Not Good, which is maybe common enough knowledge for someone to post this as a joke.

shestyorkin and buchnevich are great but the prospect pool outside of that is very barren

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

he seemed like a boyd gordon guy that everybody loved and was a fringe nhler based on his hockey iq alone so he should be a good scout. glad to see he was up and around and even able to skate so quick

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Aye Doc posted:

now that we're getting this whole stanley cup thing out of the way, we can get to the real championship of the SAS season - the fantasy hockey draft!!! here is the 2016 version so people can get an idea of what it's like. unless there's someone else who'd like to take charge, I'll put up a thread near the end of the finals. who's gonna be coming back for 2017?

I'll be back in to draft another garbage fire team a third time in a row for Nashv-

Infidel Castro posted:

Dibs on Nashville

You son of a bitch. If we're actually calling dibs here I'll swipe the Leafs and give them a garbage team this time.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

grack posted:

It absolutely happens. A couple of years ago some team (Boston?) asked the Rangers for permission to speak to Jeff Gorton and it was denied because the org saw him as Sather's successor.

That said, I would've expected the same sort of thing for Botterill and Dubas but who knows.

Woah, Boston wanted Gorton back?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Matt Zerella posted:

Woah, Boston wanted Gorton back?

http://www.foxsports.com/nhl/story/rangers-deny-bruins-permission-to-interview-gm-candidate-gorton-050515

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
The Rangers prospect pool is pretty dang barren and they've basically injected the last of their depth into the system with Buchnevich and Skjei. They're basically subsisting on college FAs at this point.

Their lineup is still young and good but there's no gamebreaking talents in the system, or guys who can fill the Jupiter-sized chasm in their backend. They also have a ton of guys that are due up for big paydays in the next two seasons, so they have some hard decisions to make.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Having 2 meaningful prospects means it's probably on the high range of good teams.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yeah the Rangers have probably one of the worst prospect systems at this point. They've been trading picks and prospects for "impact players" for years now, and it's caught up to them. Skjei and Buchnevich are the last real non-goaltending prospects they have and they're obviously with the team already.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Devils fired radio analyst Sherry Ross for some unmentioned reason. The way her tweets read, i'm guessing it's beef with current management.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

DJExile posted:

The Devils fired radio analyst Sherry Ross for some unmentioned reason. The way her tweets read, i'm guessing it's beef with current management.

Please hire her and get rid of Coatsy, Philly.

This will never happen.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Infidel Castro posted:

Please hire her and get rid of Coatsy, Philly.

This will never happen.

oh my god I'd take a Saunders/Ross combo in a loving heartbeat. You can tell Coatsey bugs Tim pretty often these days.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Teemu Pokemon posted:

The only FA moves I want Holland to make is to sign every foreign UDFA defenseman and hopefully one of them won't suck

Oh hey sup

https://twitter.com/DetroitRedWings/status/867413786352812032

You still suck Ken

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
That sucks, she was really solid. Matt Loughlin is excellent too, I wish he did their TV.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Libor Sulak is a hell of a name.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is the fact Sulak was playing in gatdang Austria a concern, or is the Czech league that bad?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

So uh, Matthews updated his Twitter profile pic

e: for reference

https://twitter.com/Zeisberger/status/866766530570330112

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Or a couple of GMs with no interest in signing Fowler are looking to artificially drive his price up through the press to damage other teams.

This is too clever and smart for a GM

Schlesische posted:

There is zero chance Toronto aren't 2 years away from being better than the Habs for a decade.

Even money on them being better next year except for the fact that Julien system + Price will hide a lot of flaws and give us a good record again

Also goddamn you loving maple leafs stop being so likable and fun to watch

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Xtanstic posted:

Also goddamn you loving maple leafs stop being so likable and fun to watch

They still have Matt Martin

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

And by definition of being the Leafs, very unlikable.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

grack posted:

They still have Matt Martin

Matt Martin actually amplifies Marner's charm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

yellowcar posted:

And by definition of being the Leafs, very unlikable.

Yeah but our idiot GM traded PK Subban that's like neck in neck in unlikability

• Locked thread