Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

clusterfuck posted:

Yeah that's a great start, plenty to work with there. I'd guess you and the DM kicked it back and forth to place it in the world. With this player wanting the evil fighter I proposed he became a paladin just to spite his evil god that had betrayed him. He liked the idea but also found it restrictive for how he wanted to play and yeah, maybe he was correct. I had to take the other players into account and potentially disruptive evil character felt like it would betray the others.

Conversely, bake him being a potential future antagonist into the long-term story arc of the campaign, and make it clear to them that they may, at some point, need to do a heel turn and play proper villain, up to and including losing the character in a final glorious stand. Or not. Whatever works for y'all.

Krinkle posted:

You can private message it to us if you're shy. My first character was a charlatan Paladin whose false identity was being a paladin. I made up a goddess of charlatans who thought it was funny to make his prayers and stuff true and he was in too deep in this last con to act confused about it. I wanted to know if being a devotion paladin who is explicitly lying in everything he does is intrinsically wrong but also I didn't want to post that here because if someone had told me that was dumb and I was dumb it would have snuffed out my enthusiasm and sent me into a sulk. Now, ironically, I'm in too deep and have made many more characters and gotten into the swing of things. People can call that one dumb if they want.

But your guy, lets hear it.

this owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SerCypher posted:

My character in that game was a Goliath smith who wanted to make the ultimate sword. She wanted it so bad that the swords started to talk to her and she became a hexblade. Then a Black Pudding crit and instant killed her.
- but her soul found an anchor in the blade she'd literally and figuratively invested so much of herself in, returning as a Revenant with neither her nor the party entirely sure if the body was wielding the sword or the other way around?

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

- but her soul found an anchor in the blade she'd literally and figuratively invested so much of herself in, returning as a Revenant with neither her nor the party entirely sure if the body was wielding the sword or the other way around?

Fuckkkk

I didn't know that was a thing.

I was going to do her sister, coming to drag her home off this idiotic sword quest, only to find her body.

Cat bard is fun too though. The Tabaxi climb speed + dash movement allows for some kind of hilarious moves. Just from playing it for a few sessions they seem a bit overpowered.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I never could figure out the push for why my Goliath Barbarian left his tribe so that stayed open ended for the GM to decide as a plot hook. But when he left he vowed to become the world's most accomplished grappler to redeem his clan's name/honor. However, he was very low int and never met humans who were the dominant culture of the area because the tribe lived in the deep mountains. 

The first human he made contact with was a slaver who convinced him that he was a famous grappler coach and could train him and make him a star. My guy believed him and went to do hard labor in the mines thinking it was a Karate Kid style training montage. The rest of the party were hired by the mine owner to investigate the severity of a kobold infestation in a new shaft being dropped that killed some miners. 

Until they met up with my guy who was given to them for use as bait (re: here's your chance to get some real practice in big guy!) I just rolled dice for the enemies in combat to help the GM out. 

I joined the party because my friend played a cross between Don King and Malcom X half elf who had cropped his ears in an attempt to pass as human in his teens and liberated me and became my hype man for my pit fights. Every fight was played out like a WWE PPV event with the amount of theatrics I put into it. It was glorious.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

AlphaDog posted:

I strongly suspect that mostly the problem being discussed is caused by one or the other person being a total dickhead.

Player: "Can I play a dragonborn?"
DM: "There are no Dragonborn in this setting, only Dragonbirthed. They are also dragonmans but totally different."
Player: "So can I be one of those? I'll use the rules for them or if there aren't any I'll use the PHB rules and re-skin".
DM: "No".

Player: "I wana be a Sahaugin underwater pirate"
DM: "So why did you sign up for my Dark Sun game? "
Player: "I just want to play D&D. As a fish man. In a magic submarine. Can you put in some oceans and more magic and stuff?"
DM: "No".

man i still wouldn't give a flat out no to the second guy unless everyone else has a solid character concept that fit together and would be at complete odds with fishman

"well dark sun doesn't really have much water but there is a silt sea and are you okay with the boat pretty much becoming party property even if you are the "captain"?"

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
dark sun has deranged wizard and dragon kings experimenting on their subjects along with random psychic mutation. literally nothing should be off the table as long as you're okay with wizard-did-it or mutant as an origin, it's as weird as gamma world

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

If you were a, I don't know, Druid, in a dark sun setting. Could you do nature magic so wrong you hurt nature more than you help it?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
So I ran the first session of my campaign with 7 players yesterday. At least one of the players had never played a tabletop RPG before, and I think none of us had any 5e experience.

I knew this was going to happen, but we completely missed our 7:15 start time because some people showed up late, and then it took at least 20 minutes to get everyone's mics working in roll20, and then roll20 started making GBS threads itself and dropping people from the "call" randomly without warning. I think it was 8:30-8:45 by the time we all managed to switch to a Skype call.

The first combat encounter was the level 1 party plus a level 3 NPC fighter versus 2 worgs, 3 goblins, and 2 hobgoblins. The mobs were spread out among the map (they were busy looting a homestead), so there were staggered waves once combat started. Combat ended up getting bogged down in a 10-foot alleyway between two houses, so I had the NPC fighter loop around and flank, with the party's sorcerer trailing behind him. There were two PC knockouts by the end of the fight, although one of them was cured back to her feet mid-combat. That was right around how I planned to tune the fight, because a party of 8 can survive knockouts much better than a party of 4, obviously.

I even had one rear end in a top hat goblin hang back until both allies and enemies were bunched up, and then chuck a grenade right into the middle of everyone (2d4 fire within 5 feet, save for half, 1d4 fire within 10 feet, save for no damage).

I think my biggest weakness was rolling too slowly for NPCs. I actually think I'll be faster next time with handwritten notes in a notebook, instead of trying to flip back and forth between 4-5 roll20 character sheets. I think everyone had fun and are looking forward to the next session, which is the most important thing.

Garl_Grimm
Apr 13, 2005
Anybody have experience house-ruling Eldritch Knights restrictions on Wizard Schools? I want to give my player two Schools of choice instead of forcing on them Evocation and Abjuration. The fact that they get a Bard-like ability to pick a few spells of other Schools makes me think it won't make a real difference.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Krinkle posted:

If you were a, I don't know, Druid, in a dark sun setting. Could you do nature magic so wrong you hurt nature more than you help it?

I once played a Druid in a 3.5 Ravenloft game. My DM ruled it that I was inadvertently drawing directly on the Dark Powers, who would randomly gently caress with the spell via a percentage roll.

During the climax of an early adventure I dropped Call Lighting and rolled 100. A small black warp appeared around the vampire we were fighting right before he exploded into maggots.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Reading UA Mystic (3) and I have hit a point of wording confusion.

Wind Stream posted:

Each creature in that area must make a Strength saving throw, taking 1d8 bludgeoning damage per psi point spent and being knocked prone on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

I took that to mean that on a successful save the target only took the half damage, and wasn't knocked prone (by implication). But then I come across this:

Combustion posted:

On a failed save, the target takes 1d10 fire damage per psi point spent, and it catches on fire, taking 1d6 fire damage at the end of each of its turns until your concentration ends or until it or a creature adjacent to it extinguishes the flames with an action. On a successful save, the target takes half as much
damage and doesn’t catch on fire.

Here it explicitly says that the side effect doesn't apply. Does this mean that effects do apply in other successful-save cases? Or is it just sloppy drafting?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I feel like, if they didn't add on that "does not catch on fire" you'd be rolling 1d6 every turn and doing half damage. You can't half be pushed prone. Your first impression was correct.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krinkle posted:

I feel like, if they didn't add on that "does not catch on fire" you'd be rolling 1d6 every turn and doing half damage. You can't half be pushed prone. Your first impression was correct.

I thought about that, but then:

Venom Strike posted:

On a failed save, it takes 1d6 poison damage per psi point spent and is poisoned until the end of your next turn. On a successful save, the target takes half as much damage and isn’t poisoned.

You can't be half Poisoned either!

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Subjunctive posted:

It's been my experience that if a thing causes a status on a failed save, it does not cause that status on a successful save (presumably for half damage). I can't think of anything off hand where that isn't the case, but I don't have my PHB handy to check the spells lists.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Subjunctive posted:

This UA article may have accidentally retconned RAW for half the spells in the game

Teeheehee

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Does calculating half damage work a specific way in this game? Are you supposed to roll half the dice, or roll all the dice and halve the result, or do you just do whatever because it's obvious how it works?

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Reene posted:

Conversely, bake him being a potential future antagonist into the long-term story arc of the campaign, and make it clear to them that they may, at some point, need to do a heel turn and play proper villain, up to and including losing the character in a final glorious stand. Or not. Whatever works for y'all.

Yeah nice, I already rolled him up as NPC and yes he's lined up as a bounty hunter to compete with the bounty hunter in the party and probably antagonize her main arc once he's established as a thing. Waste not want not!

So many of these backstories are epic

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AlphaDog posted:

Does calculating half damage work a specific way in this game? Are you supposed to roll half the dice, or roll all the dice and halve the result, or do you just do whatever because it's obvious how it works?

AFAICT it doesn't say anywhere.

E: that said, I think rolling half the dice makes less sense than rolling and halving the result. Something that does 1d6 would do the same damage regardless of the saving throw, otherwise.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 25, 2017

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah, I couldn't find anything either. Different games do it different ways - I can't remember which one it was, but "half damage" meant you halved the die size, so 1d6 would be 1d3 etc.

I was just wondering if they had a specific order in mind when they were writing the stuff about saving throws and half damage.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Halving the die or halving the result never produce different outcomes, right?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

It's early in the morning and my brain's real fuzzy, so take this with a grain of salt, but halving the result will sometimes require rounding which will probably make a difference, but apart from that I don't think so.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Halving the die or halving the result never produce different outcomes, right?

It can.

2d6 / 2 -> (5+5)/2 = 5
2d3 (rolled using d6's) -> (5->3)+(5->3) = 6

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Is that only an issue when the die size switches from odd to even or vice versa?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
It's always an issue. Average on d20 is 10.5, average on d10 is 5.5.

You're halving the max of the range but leaving the minimum of the range the same. Half of 1...20 is equal to 0.5...10, not 1...10

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ahem, quite. This is probably why I only squeaked by high school stats.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

AlphaDog posted:

Is that only an issue when the die size switches from odd to even or vice versa?

No, the math works out the same way on d8's.

Probability of rolling an 8 on 2d8/2 is 1/64, since 15/2 -> 7
Probability of rolling an 8 on 2d4 is 1/16

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

esquilax posted:

No, the math works out the same way on d8's.

Probability of rolling an 8 on 2d8/2 is 1/64, since 15/2 -> 7
Probability of rolling an 8 on 2d4 is 1/16

this is looking at averages, not individual odds of particular results

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

It's always an issue. Average on d20 is 10.5, average on d10 is 5.5.

You're halving the max of the range but leaving the minimum of the range the same. Half of 1...20 is equal to 0.5...10, not 1...10

Thank you!

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
In a 4E game, I made the choice to wield a maul, because 2d6 is statistically better than a 1d12 great axe. Jokes on me though, because a d12 is way more fun to roll than boring d6s.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
So a question to everyone: As I said before, I'm in a new group and though I've played tabletop in the past, our current group has 3 new players and 3 veterans. Right now, our new players are 100% murderhobo at all times. Our barbarian specifically gets bored if she isn't killing poo poo after an hour, and our rogue is essentially playing it as a video game: Kill things, collect money, wait until she can do either of these things. In our current game for example, we are going through Mines of Phandelvar and just got to Old Owl Well and met the wizard there. It proceeded like this:

Veteran Druid and Me start talking:
Me playing wizard (sorcerers kind of suck, who knew?): Necromancy? Foul magic. State your reasons for being here, or else.
Druid: Wait wait, I'm no fan of abominable magic, but he's done us no wrong. Let's hear him out.
Necromancer: Well you see, I have a request blah blah...
Barbarian: gently caress these side quests, I want to charge and kill him!
DM: *sigh*

How do we A) keep a thumb on new players murdering literally everything and B) Help the DM retain their sanity?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

User0015 posted:

How do we A) keep a thumb on new players murdering literally everything and B) Help the DM retain their sanity?

Talk to them. Explain that you want different things from this game, and see how you can find some sort of compromise. Emphasize people, not characters, and focus on compromises, not ultimatums. It's not that they're doing it wrong, it's that you want different things and need to find a way to accommodate everyone's desires.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Well it sounds like you've got a bit of a disparity between what the two groups of players are after. Have a talk with them about what they're looking for in an rpg. Do they want a story and lots of dialogue and roleplaying or are they more after a traditional d&d game where you're delving through dungeons and assuming everything is out to get you. Just from that little short I would take a stab and say this is the divide. Maybe they don't even know what they're after and are just acting how they think they're expected to act. When you look at you're abilities and skills and literally everything you have is some form of hammer, you're going to naturally assume that every problem in the game is going to be a nail. It's not like anything in D&D tries to tell you otherwise really. So have a talk with them and figure out what they want and why first.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Suddenly guards in town say they match a description and always try to apprehend them so they are basically forced to never go to a city again. Then bounty hunters start showing up in the wild to do the same thing.

Also, presumably, you are all adults. Talk out expectations and that if they are not willing to play in the dynamic then that table may not be right for them.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

If the group has two vastly different expectations or play styles, settle on one, then do the other style in a separate game at another time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AlphaDog posted:

The way I've always done it is that you roll the dice normally to get the full result, and then take half of that to inflict upon anyone who managed to successfully save (even if there's no one who failed the roll).

If you roll separately for half, you're giving other creatures a "free reroll" on the damage.

User0015 posted:

So a question to everyone: As I said before, I'm in a new group and though I've played tabletop in the past, our current group has 3 new players and 3 veterans. Right now, our new players are 100% murderhobo at all times. Our barbarian specifically gets bored if she isn't killing poo poo after an hour, and our rogue is essentially playing it as a video game: Kill things, collect money, wait until she can do either of these things.

What I do whenever I start a new game is that I try to make it clear what kind of theme or tone of game I'd like to run.

If it's supposed to be a straight-up "kill them and take their stuff" dungeon crawl, I say that.
If there's supposed to be investigative elements, I say that.
If it's supposed to be some kind of middle-ground where negotiation and plotting are present and possible and violence is only one of the means to an end (which is probably what most of us think should be the "default" mode of play), I say that as well.

That way, people who sign up for my games are people who want to engage in the same kind of behavior.

It might not be so straightforward if you're doing an IRL game with friends where you don't necessarily get to pick-and-choose which of your friends gets to play, but in this case, have a conversation about your expectations for the game, and as AlphaDog said, if you all can't get along in the exact same game, look into running different games that press different buttons.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

The way I've always done it is that you roll the dice normally to get the full result, and then take half of that to inflict upon anyone who managed to successfully save (even if there's no one who failed the roll).

If you roll separately for half, you're giving other creatures a "free reroll" on the damage.

Yes, that's how I've always done it too. Roll damage once. Halve it for anyone who fails the save. I've seen it done differently, and I've seen games that specify how to do it, I was just wondering if there was a specific 5th ed way.

gradenko_2000 posted:

if you all can't get along in the exact same game, look into running different games that press different buttons.

Most people are perfectly happy to play in a way that isn't their preferred way if there's a clear "...and when this game's run its course we'll do another game a different way". I mean, if you can run or play in two concurrent campaigns, that's great, but I can't and neither can most of the people I know.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

User0015 posted:

So a question to everyone: As I said before, I'm in a new group and though I've played tabletop in the past, our current group has 3 new players and 3 veterans. Right now, our new players are 100% murderhobo at all times. Our barbarian specifically gets bored if she isn't killing poo poo after an hour, and our rogue is essentially playing it as a video game: Kill things, collect money, wait until she can do either of these things. In our current game for example, we are going through Mines of Phandelvar and just got to Old Owl Well and met the wizard there. It proceeded like this:

Me playing wizard (sorcerers kind of suck, who knew?): Necromancy? Foul magic. State your reasons for being here, or else.
Druid: Wait wait, I'm no fan of abominable magic, but he's done us no wrong. Let's hear him out.

I am guessing you still killed the Red Wizard.

Anyway why do you say the Sorcerer sucks. It's not as versatile as the Wizard in the long run. But it is still solid. At that level they would be roughly the same in effectiveness anyway.

AlphaDog posted:

Yes, that's how I've always done it too. Roll damage once. Halve it for anyone who fails the save. I've seen it done differently, and I've seen games that specify how to do it, I was just wondering if there was a specific 5th ed way.

Thats how I pretty much see everyone do it. It's been like that since at least 3rd. And the rules say round down unless something says other wise. Given that its saying half the damage. That implies to me the damage should be rolled. If it said half the damage dice it would be the other way.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 25, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

User0015 posted:

Out of game? Talk to them.

In game? Don't get involved with fights you don't agree with. The barbarian charges the wizard? Your characters shrug, apologise, and play cards while the wizard spanks and then spares the barbarian ("Now that you know I am no monster, will you hear my request?")

e:

Cease to Hope posted:

Trying to solve these things with in-character actions will not work and will only create out-of-character resentment. I can't stress that enough. Talk to the people.
If you read the question as "How do I modify these players' behaviour through behavioural conditioning" yeah, you're right, don't. Sit down and talk like adults. If you interpret the question as "What do I do the next time <player> goes "gently caress you guys we're doing this now"", "nah I don't want to do that" is a perfectly valid response.

Though now that I type that out, literally saying "Steve I don't want to fight this guy." is the better way to go about it.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 25, 2017

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Splicer posted:

In game? Don't

Trying to solve these things with in-character actions will not work and will only create out-of-character resentment. I can't stress that enough. Talk to the people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Elendil004 posted:

That's the idea, but looking for some goon sources to crib from.

Poke through this:

"The Nine Hells - Revisted"
https://annarchive.com/files/Drmg091.pdf

And the pre-revisted ones:
https://annarchive.com/files/Drmg075.pdf
https://annarchive.com/files/Drmg076.pdf

Ideas on various named devils and their sick cribs.

Also if youve never seen old Dragon Magazine you can chuckle at the super spergie articles on "what is the right height/weight ratio for your demihuman?" and other historical novelties.