Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
As a character artist I think that his classes would be perfect for anybody looking to get into character design. I've used his methods in the past before when doing work on a stylized game and it really does help to keep things broken down into primitives. There's probably much more juicy goodness from him to learn than just that workflow however, so if you're interested in wanting to design characters I'm sure it's worth the price. It's definitely cheaper than any classes I've attended for 3D. The mentorships and classes that people hold online these days are one of the most loving valuable resources to have and I wish I had we had them when I was younger.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

ImplicitAssembler posted:

The high level of detail on the guitar kinda clashes with the low level detail character.

Well, this was the client's design. The frustrating part is that now he isn't happy with his own design. So - I have changed the eye and nose as per request.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
I think that looks pretty drat cool, hopefully the client doesn't give you too much more crap about his own design (not possible, I know :( )

Unrelated, but mad props to anyone here who's led teams/managed artists. It's far more challenging than I ever expected to balance my own work while keeping everyone on task/troubleshooting issues/reviewing work, and it made me realize I took that balancing act for granted when I wasn't in the thick of it.

I know I've had some ups and downs this year so far, and I've probably bitched a bit much about work stress than necessary... but being able to come in here and see people learn and grow (and then have SVU blow everyone out of the water in one post, lol) has given me a sort of CG release valve, a place that I can go to get recentered when I get overwhelmed.

:love:

ajrosales
Dec 19, 2003

ok. I finally finished my spaceship and font. actually, it is a moonbase. I revisited my earth and moon renders too (added a normal map for the moon which made everything pop a bit more).
anyway, here it is, there's a lot more imagery on the project page:

http://ajrosales.com/quo-orbiting-lunar-base

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

mutata posted:

A friend and coworker of mine, Shane Olson, is launching an online training/mentoring course on stylized character sculpting and modeling for games. He goes through the entire pipeline from how to choose concept art through high-poly sculpting, posing, retopology, game-res model for animating, baking maps, and even posing and 3D printing prep. Shane was the character art lead on Disney Infinity when it went down and this course is currently his full-time job so I thought I'd give him a mention here. He's beginning with 3 or so mini-training videos that are leading up to the launch of course sign ups.

His main page where you can sign up for email alerts and get his zbrush brushes and UI:
https://www.3dcharacterworkshop.com/

And the first of the mini-training videos:
https://www.3dcharacterworkshop.com/p/free-training

His artstation is here:
https://www.artstation.com/artist/shaneolson
(the real shame is he hasn't put up the unreleased Rogue One characters he did which are amazing)

Anyway, Shane is the kind of guy who would always carve out 20 minutes in his work day for me when I came up to bug him with questions about zbrush and characters. He's very good and his workflow is extremely understandable and teachable. It's pretty slick.

Lastly, here's a link to another friend, a 2D concept artist who's been working in the beta version of Shane's course for the past couple months. He went from no zbrush experience to this: https://www.instagram.com/p/BTg_IYpFN2G/

Anyway, if you or anyone you know is looking for a comprehensive workflow training course for the character art pipeline for games and toys, this is a pretty awesome course.

I promise I'm not getting paid and he doesn't even know I'm posting it here. :)

Enrollment for this is now open. I only post about it again because it's open for a set period of time before it closes to be reopened again in the future. Just a heads up!

https://www.3dcharacterworkshop.com/p/3DCWEnroll

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

I was just watching a Zbrush Live webcast with Paul Gaboury. He was doing render passes and did something peculiar. He tinted the AO pass bluish and the shadow pass warmish and then multiplied them on top of each other. I have seen people tint spec maps before but never shadow passes or AO passes. Can someone explain this?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Tinting shadows and AO effectively adds ambient light. Ambient light in real life is actually bounce light from the sky. It's mostly only seen in shadow because sunlit areas are overwhelmed by sun light color. The only place you'd have straight black shadows are clinical places indoors where sky bounce light can't penetrate or on places with no sky like the Moon. You can tint shadows weird colors like orange or green to make the scene feel alien, as if it was taking place on another planet (with a different color sky). This is, I believe, the origin point of the warm light/cool shadows color schemes that painters and illustrators use all the time. It feels good because we live on a yellow sun/blue sky planet.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Yeah you can use an AO or Shadow pass to fake stuff like subsurface skin, translucency, bounce light off itself or the environment around it as mutata mentioned. It's definitely a cool trick :D

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

mutata posted:

Tinting shadows and AO effectively adds ambient light. Ambient light in real life is actually bounce light from the sky. It's mostly only seen in shadow because sunlit areas are overwhelmed by sun light color. The only place you'd have straight black shadows are clinical places indoors where sky bounce light can't penetrate or on places with no sky like the Moon. You can tint shadows weird colors like orange or green to make the scene feel alien, as if it was taking place on another planet (with a different color sky). This is, I believe, the origin point of the warm light/cool shadows color schemes that painters and illustrators use all the time. It feels good because we live on a yellow sun/blue sky planet.

This is really interesting due to what my old teacher Jeremy Birn said. When I showed him what looked like a good AO pass multiplied over a render he said... no... that is terrible. Good GI / bounce light should eliminate the need for AO completely. I always wondered about this. I have seen it multiplied over albedo and sometimes diffuse (for games) but never tinted before. Adding AO always felt clunky if there was already good bounce light /shadows.

So - for lack of proper GI, it is a way to fake environment lighting in the shadows?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I gotta :rolleyes: a bit at the guy's comment, but yes, essentially GI should produce quality ambient occlusion naturally. AO is a natural result of bounce light finding it difficult to get into a corner or intersection and losing energy on the way. Real time engines are only just barely beginning to implement real time GI solutions, and they are mostly experimental (although they soon won't be). There are screenspace ambient occlusion cheat effects that have been used for ages, not to mention using a 2nd uv set to bake lightmaps in a scene. Lightmaps in some form have been the solution since 3d graphics in games became a thing (Quake 1 and on).

Nowadays in PBR engines you can either get away with ssao solutions only or a hybrid baked bounce light/real time light solution or there's a specific AO texture slot in the material setups separate from albedo since you don't want to bake the shadows into your albedo for a variety of reasons. We're kind of sitting on the gate to real time GI waiting for hardware and engines to really nail it before we can finally start to go 100% dynamic lighting.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I dont add AO often but it is super useful when something needs a little push in the shadows - on exteriors where the light has been pushed super bright for landscapings sake, sometime building junctions end up looking a little flat. 20-30% max and make sure you use the raw light pass inverted as a mask (quickest way to make AO look dumb - paste it into areas hit by direct sunlight) and you're all good. even then it's still carefully brushed into certain areas.

ajrosales
Dec 19, 2003

I just did another wiggle:

http://ajrosales.com/wiggle-pavilion

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

I dont add AO often but it is super useful when something needs a little push in the shadows - on exteriors where the light has been pushed super bright for landscapings sake, sometime building junctions end up looking a little flat. 20-30% max and make sure you use the raw light pass inverted as a mask (quickest way to make AO look dumb - paste it into areas hit by direct sunlight) and you're all good. even then it's still carefully brushed into certain areas.

Nice trick for masking out the AO! Never thought of that. Too much AO looks even more stupid than not enough AO. That's why it used to irk me when people would multiply AO over a diffuse vs. albedo pass.
Here is the video with Paul Gaboury talking about render passes in zbrush. Pretty useful stuff IMO.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/146687710

ajrosales
Dec 19, 2003

Just finished a parabolic structure:

http://ajrosales.com/parabolic-shell

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sure at some stage I remember reading a shitload of posts on 3D photo scanning. was is this thread or another? Word is that there is a free chain of softwares

in other news i am enjoying being open minded to nodes in blender and the post processing composition in blender. allows me to do cool thing. god i love me blender and cycles. just a shame the gpu opencl renderer in cycles can't do volume effects :rolleyes: and id have to have a nvidia card :lame: #yolo

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

There are some photoscan posts in my post history and Gearman's post history and I think, SVU's? Sorry I sometimes forget what user names go to what projects in here :(

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Perfect timing for this subject! I guess through all the loving tutorials and stupid poo poo I buy I ended up on someone's newsletter and yesterday they sent me this link to free scans from the Louvre!

25 Free Scans from the Louvre on Gumroad

I'm going to 3D print one of them this week, I'll keep the thread posted.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Thanks, those are great :)

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Yeah - thank you! Those scans are pretty good.

Revisiting an old project and trying to learn Marvelous Designer for the jacket. So far it is very difficult to get the results I want. Leather jacket ended up looking more like the puffy pirate shirt from Seinfeld. Ugh.

Concept here.

Quick stab at adding the monowheel.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 1, 2017

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
been loving around trying to make something tumblresque, and learning about the final image and not the process. was previously always a purist, wanted to do everything the "right" way, but now realise that actually, use every trick in the book.

This was done 100% in Blender btw lol (including 1 external image, but composited in Blender). the composite node editor for post processing ain't too bad. Mostly limited by my imagination.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Close up.

Still very WIP.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

I'm so happy you're working on that again, it's such a fun concept and I think it's turning out great! It was one of the earlier things I saw after getting back into CG and joining this thread, and every so often I'd wonder what was happening with wheel-ape.

I wish I had time right now to work on personal stuff, I've been meaning to work on my sculpting and I want to learn Houdini, but work has been crazy due to SIGGRAPH

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni

sigma 6 posted:

Close up.

Still very WIP.

Hey man! First thing that jumped out to me, is that the wrinkles on the mouth/lip/most other places feel very clean, flat and lifeless, like you just used the dam standard brush on a mostly smooth surface. I'd use the Mask By Cavity function in ZBrush, then take the inflate brush on a low strength and start to build up some displaced form in between all of those wrinkles.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
A fairly recent one went public last week, so here's one of the new shots of the new OKC Streetcar project I did. We did 4 others with another on the schedule now, so hopefully I can share some of those here soon. reposting some wires from a while back, too.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 5, 2017

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Omfg.... so some of the studio uses in sync to sync with google drive, and somehow when one of the users uninstalled in sync, it permanently deleted every single file from Gdrive, with no way to restore. Every single file for this production...

I use the google drive app, and for some amazing reason it didn't delete it on my end and I luckily had been syncing all the production files, but everyone using in sync lost them within seconds of them being deleted, to the tune of 200gb of files per user disappearing and somehow the deletion being synced to our separate server and deleting it there too, even though it manually syncs.

We have a deadline for tomorrow evening, and I was supposed to pass this off to another artist to light and render, but now I'm the only one with any of this projects files.....

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The Gasmask posted:

Omfg.... so some of the studio uses in sync to sync with google drive, and somehow when one of the users uninstalled in sync, it permanently deleted every single file from Gdrive, with no way to restore. Every single file for this production...

I use the google drive app, and for some amazing reason it didn't delete it on my end and I luckily had been syncing all the production files, but everyone using in sync lost them within seconds of them being deleted, to the tune of 200gb of files per user disappearing and somehow the deletion being synced to our separate server and deleting it there too, even though it manually syncs.

We have a deadline for tomorrow evening, and I was supposed to pass this off to another artist to light and render, but now I'm the only one with any of this projects files.....

Good dear god do not use any kind of live syncing software for important files. That is complete recipe for disaster. Use proper version control. Git is not super friendly with huge repos but it will save you this kind of pain.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

I've been pushing for a proper version control/archiving system for a while, and I've been locally backing up in multiple locations for a while now in anticipation of something like this, so I was prepared thank god.

I figure this is going to be the push they need to actually start doing it - problem is we're fully virtual, so everyone has to be able to access files from all over the world at all times. They've tried a number of solutions but nothing scales to the size we need without costing like 10k a month.

E: we're talking about needing to handle 10-20 users, transferring like 100-500gb a day, and needing to store up to 5tb of data that needs to be accessible at a moments notice.... it's a real bitch of a situation, let me tell you.

Most users don't have access to the backend, there's an internal app that controls syncing, but this was a mistake from someone that should know better, not expecting that the file restore on gdrive wouldn't work - if it was a regular artist it would be impossible for them to even touch the gdrive stuff.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 5, 2017

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The Gasmask posted:

I've been pushing for a proper version control/archiving system for a while, and I've been locally backing up in multiple locations for a while now in anticipation of something like this, so I was prepared thank god.

I figure this is going to be the push they need to actually start doing it - problem is we're fully virtual, so everyone has to be able to access files from all over the world at all times. They've tried a number of solutions but nothing scales to the size we need without costing like 10k a month.

E: we're talking about needing to handle 10-20 users, transferring like 100-500gb a day, and needing to store up to 5tb of data that needs to be accessible at a moments notice.... it's a real bitch of a situation, let me tell you.

Most users don't have access to the backend, there's an internal app that controls syncing, but this was a mistake from someone that should know better, not expecting that the file restore on gdrive wouldn't work - if it was a regular artist it would be impossible for them to even touch the gdrive stuff.

Have you looked into perforce? I think Pixar used/uses it internally, and I've been using it regularly for work.
You can host it yourself on your own hardware, which can help it scale to your usage. Or possibly run it off of Amazon's servers if you'd fancy that instead.

100-500GB is a pretty decent chunk, but I can regularly shuffle around up to 20-30GB a day without any issue. (And that's with it running old an old pc at home +from a home internet connection.)
There's even a gui utility to push/pull/sync/revert stuff, but like anything else that isn't 100% automatic, some people might take some time getting used to it.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

SubNat posted:

Have you looked into perforce? I think Pixar used/uses it internally, and I've been using it regularly for work.
You can host it yourself on your own hardware, which can help it scale to your usage. Or possibly run it off of Amazon's servers if you'd fancy that instead.

100-500GB is a pretty decent chunk, but I can regularly shuffle around up to 20-30GB a day without any issue. (And that's with it running old an old pc at home +from a home internet connection.)
There's even a gui utility to push/pull/sync/revert stuff, but like anything else that isn't 100% automatic, some people might take some time getting used to it.

I'll bring this up with them - everything was working fine with our internal sync tool (it pretty much pulls files from Google through our server and hands them to users as requested, and lets them add new stuff and "overwrite" stuff they've created but not delete anything), but one of the higher ups was trying to set up insync to pull all the files to his machine to set it up a local farm for us on his end, and somehow ended up causing a merge conflict while doing it which wiped it all clean.

Pretty much the exact reason why we have a sync tool... but the tool isn't really designed to pull everything down quickly and definitely not for pulling all files to set up a render farm. And even though the few superusers were swearing by insync, it's not official which scared the hell out of me due to problems with stuff like Odrive in the past, which is the only reason we didn't lose everything permanently. I don't know why the official google app didn't sync the deletes, but I'm thankful it didn't.

This is another reminder to back everything up locally, disconnected from the main syncing, and to have locks in place to prevent stuff from being inadvertently deleted. I'm sure we'll figure out a better solution as a result, but this couldn't have come at a worse time.

I have to say, we've hit some really incredible challenges trying to make this virtual studio thing work, and we've been able to make a ton of custom solutions for nearly everything else, but the file server part of it is the one that's either far too expensive or far too risky. Cloud was supposed to avoid this with the "nothing ever actually gets deleted!" Promise, but when using non official syncing tools it throws that out the window...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone here using Arnold 5 and OSL shaders that do refractions? The mere presence of the refraction closure in a shader crashes Arnold over here.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
So you've got all the files they've deleted? Sounds like you should ask for a raise.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Sounds pretty similar to what happened to Toy Story 2.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Odddzy posted:

So you've got all the files they've deleted? Sounds like you should ask for a raise.

Haha I actually just got a raise, so it kinda works out. I love this place and when something goes wrong, everyone pulls together to make it work. We were able to find a hidden folder on the server with the deleted files, and miraculously were only missing a few GB of files which was easy enough to upload.

Mutata, I wonder how many studios have had near misses that just haven't made it public. Here's the article about the TS2 thing, it's amazing that they were able to save it, a fuckup on that kind of scale is terrifying: https://thenextweb.com/media/2012/0.../#.tnw_9aWYajqU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Back when I worked at visualisation one we lost about 2 weeks worth of data (very infrequent backups at the time) due to a server death that would've been very easy to prevent but the owner didn't want to spend the money on new hardware until absolutely necessary. It died 3 days before an animation of mine was due to deliver which i'd been working on for 4 weeks. basically had to redo the entire thing, all scenes and rendering, and I got bollocked for having an attitude about it. that was the start of my last 6 months there.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 5, 2017

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

The Gasmask posted:

Haha I actually just got a raise, so it kinda works out. I love this place and when something goes wrong, everyone pulls together to make it work. We were able to find a hidden folder on the server with the deleted files, and miraculously were only missing a few GB of files which was easy enough to upload.

Mutata, I wonder how many studios have had near misses that just haven't made it public. Here's the article about the TS2 thing, it's amazing that they were able to save it, a fuckup on that kind of scale is terrifying: https://thenextweb.com/media/2012/0.../#.tnw_9aWYajqU

Just switch to perforce so I can actually sync my stuff.

Seriously, just use perforce.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Can someone describe how perforce compares to git? I've never used it. I use git for everything, more on the dev side than the creative, so not as many huge files which is a famous weak point of git.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Git's strength is merging text and code assets. Perforce's strength is managing check ins/outs/locking/histories of binary files, most commonly art assets big and small. Neither are ideal for what the other one does well. Artists despise Git for its obscure, opaque made up terminology and methodology whereas programmers hate Perforce for its one-at-a-time mindset and dead on arrival merging.

mutata fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 6, 2017

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

mutata posted:

Git's strength is merging text and code assets. Perforce's strength is managing check ins/outs/locking/histories of binary files, most commonly art assets big and small. Neither are ideal for what the other one does well. Artists despise Git for its obscure, opaque made up terminology and methodology whereas programmers hate Perforce for its one-at-a-time mindset and dead on arrival merging.

As a programmer let me set the record straight: we despise gits obscure, opaque, made up terminology with a passion. Love its power, hate its implementation. But yeah it's not good with large binaries so perforce sounds interesting.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, that makes sense. For artists we listen to the "why git is awesome" talk and then shrug because none of the powerful bits of it apply to our files in the least, haha. I'll never understand why git calls things what it does though. Yeesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I'm an artist who uses both git and Perforce every day and I can testify that Perforce has never made me cry in frustration so I'd advise using that.

Also it's good for huge art assets, git is bad at those.